[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
I started a new world with the latest version in order to see how things suit me, and the first thing I noticed beyond the GT adaptations I know of is that hoes won't work. Meaning that they make grass into dirt, and I get some seeds from doing that, but they don't make farmland. How the heck am I supposed to get food?

Also, I might just regret starting with the soon-to-be-outdated v2 since I had a beautiful starting location with lots of undergrowth where mobs can't spawn and can't get through - and some steep hills for building and mining. I guess the new version will not be worldgen-compatible, right? So that I can expect sharp edges in newly-created chunks should I attempt a world conversion?
As for farmland... You cant make farmland if there is no water nearby (it needs hydration).

As for starting with v2 when v3 is around the corner... As long as you will not explore that much, it should be fine. Also keep in mind that the recipes are getting reworked (for example Forestry and AE2 machines, are getting massively gregged), so if you build them now, you could call it "cheating" :)

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
As for farmland... You cant make farmland if there is no water nearby (it needs hydration).

As for starting with v2 when v3 is around the corner... As long as you will not explore that much, it should be fine. Also keep in mind that the recipes are getting reworked (for example Forestry and AE2 machines, are getting massively gregged), so if you build them now, you could call it "cheating" :)
I have created a Biomes O'Plenty world. Since Biomes O'Plenty won't be in V3, would adding it manually cause any problems? Regarding the AE2 machines, I doubt I'll get anywhere with AE2 beyond the Grindstone - which was a lifesaver, so I hope the recipe didn't change - before V3 is out.

BTW, regarding the iron, it's quite plentiful but the problem in the early game is finding anything you can mine with your puny flint pick, which smelts down to iron. I had the problem that I needed the Grindstone to make bronze dust for a level 2 pick, but that requires a saw, which requires, at this tech level, either bronze (hmph) or iron. It doesn't help if you have an out-of-date Gregtech mining guide - thanks for the link.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
BTW, regarding the iron, it's quite plentiful but the problem in the early game is finding anything you can mine with your puny flint pick, which smelts down to iron. I had the problem that I needed the Grindstone to make bronze dust for a level 2 pick, but that requires a saw, which requires, at this tech level, either bronze (hmph) or iron. It doesn't help if you have an out-of-date Gregtech mining guide - thanks for the link.
Good point. Folks: how do most people deal with the level-3 transition iron mining?

I actually forget what the hell I do. I genuinely may do bronze. Its also extremely easy to simply hit up a village or two and get a pickaxe from a chest, they're common as hell, but I don't consider that a "proper" solution to the problem and neither will you.

If you're got fledgeling knowledge of thaumcraft you can skip straight to thaumium tools which are incredibly buff in the early game. This is an "ok" solution for a pack as a whole, but obviously shit as a "GT" solution.

For a very legit GT solution which isn't too arduous: if you find a limonite vein, brown limonite only requires a level 2 pickaxe (and limonite is 1:1 iron)

Edit: lastly, its extremely common to find "small" iron ores on an uncovered surface. It shouldn't take long to wander around areas that aren't covered in dirt/grass and scoop up enough iron to make the transition tools.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
You mean getting iron tools? Thaumium isn't useful there, it's good for making the jump to the tier past iron and one of the few ways to do so. I know cobalt is an option as well, does TNT/Creeper mining work? Not sure if any of the gems need only level two mining as well.

As for the actual process I use it's look until I find an iron vein and then go for thaumcraft, limonite or chalcopyrite both work I think but limonite I tend to find anyway. You need a good couple of dozen iron to be able to get thaumium after all with Greg making the recipes tougher. It's also worth noting that thaumium tools never really stop being good, between the fortune and higher mining level if you can get it they're one of the best materials as iron is generally rather plentiful, the normal thaumium pick is also a brilliant tool as well as since it's a standard pick it obeys standard durability rules and thus can mine tough blocks like obsidian without shattering after a few blocks, the increased durability + vanilla durability mechanic comes at the cost of no fortune but it is enchantable so it can be worth considering as a heavily enchanted pick is very good at any point.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Hmm....trying to find a tin vein....guide says between 40 and 120, thank you very much, that means basically anywhere. Is there anything I can do to make the search easier?

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm....trying to find a tin vein....guide says between 40 and 120, thank you very much, that means basically anywhere. Is there anything I can do to make the search easier?
Use thaumcraft to turn other metals into tin so you don't need a vein? Other than that though not really, just keep looking.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
You mean getting iron tools? Thaumium isn't useful there,
Woops. Thaumium requires iron. Duh. Although to be fair, you only need a single iron to get enough thaumium for a thaumcraft shard pickaxe (you just need one thaumium rod).

I know cobalt is an option as well, does TNT/Creeper mining work? Not sure if any of the gems need only level two mining as well.
I forgot about cobalt again. If you're lucky enough to find a vein, this is an excellent option. Cobalt tools are fantastic in the early game.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Tin is everyone's major bitch in early GT. Seriously. Everyone's. And the range used to be even worse than it is now.

Use a texture pack: tin is hard to see. Test in creative to ensure the tin blocks are visible in the one you choose.

Run through hilly areas that expose rock faces. Don't waste your time trying to look for it underground (40-50). 90% of the tin you find in the overworld is going to be above ground.

Lastly: be patient about all the useless magnetite and coal/lignite you find instead of tin. Especially that magnetite :)

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Woops. Thaumium requires iron. Duh. Although to be fair, you only need a single iron to get enough thaumium for a thaumcraft shard pickaxe (you just need one thaumium rod).
You also need seven iron plates for a crucible and 10 iron nuggets for a wand before you can craft it though, so that's a fair chunk of iron early game. The rest of the materials are easy to get as it's just wood/sand/ink/leather for the researching and all, the iron cost means you'll need a fair few small ores or a proper vein you can mine though.

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
You also need seven iron plates for a crucible and 10 iron nuggets for a wand before you can craft it though, so that's a fair chunk of iron early game. The rest of the materials are easy to get as it's just wood/sand/ink/leather for the researching and all, the iron cost means you'll need a fair few small ores or a proper vein you can mine though.
Dammit I thought of the cauldron, got pulled into a quick meeting, came back and forgot about it. Thanks.

Disregard my thaumium idea, its not really applicable for the "transition" period.

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
I have created a Biomes O'Plenty world. Since Biomes O'Plenty won't be in V3, would adding it manually cause any problems?

"Should" be fine. Just dont shout at me, that you are finding mushroom biomes everywhere, no desert and no ocean :D

Last edited:
Reactions: sprAngles

Reign Dance

Jul 29, 2019
Hello, I am new to this mod pack. What is confusing me is the ore generation. I've done my best to look up what it's like and I have a good idea of what it's like (Ores generate here and there as "small" versions and also in large veins). I've found charts that list where in the y axis certain ores generate at, but I'm not sure anything that I've read is accurate to the current version of this modpack. Example: I've read that iron generates from 10 to 40 on the y axis; I've seen it generate far above that. Is there an accurate chart somewhere or some kind of resource I can look at? Thanks.

EDIT: Also, which version of this modpack is everybody currently using?

EDIT 2: Another question I've been meaning to ask is why are neutral mobs in the Project Zulu mod (giraffes, camels etc.) hostile?

Last edited:

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Tin is everyone's major bitch in early GT. Seriously. Everyone's. And the range used to be even worse than it is now.

Use a texture pack: tin is hard to see. Test in creative to ensure the tin blocks are visible in the one you choose.

Run through hilly areas that expose rock faces. Don't waste your time trying to look for it underground (40-50). 90% of the tin you find in the overworld is going to be above ground.

Lastly: be patient about all the useless magnetite and coal/lignite you find instead of tin. Especially that magnetite :)
Thanks. I happen to be in a region with lots of hills with exposed flanks, and after a while I found some tin. However, the water problem proves to be even more intractable than I anticipated. I have (or know where to find) basically everything to enter the steam age, except a water source. Slimes are nowhere in evidence, the methods to make slimeballs are beyond me (where the heck do I find a jellyfish?), and so I wasted a Thaumium pick I made from looted thaumium to mine 10 obsidian in order to enter the Nether, and I find that I can't make the flint and steel I need to make fire? Really, I can run a furnace but I can't make fire anywhere else? Isn't that a bit much? Tbh, I have no idea how to proceed... I searched nearby villages for perhaps a steel ingot or two, but I find lots of interesting stuff (even dark steel), but nothing of what i need.

@Jason McRay:
Yeah, I know it'd be at my own risk.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Hello, I am new to this mod pack. What is confusing me is the ore generation. I've done my best to look up what it's like and I have a good idea of what it's like (Ores generate here and there as "small" versions and also in large veins). I've found charts that list where in the y axis certain ores generate at, but I'm not sure anything that I've read is accurate to the current version of this modpack. Example: I've read that iron generates from 10 to 40 on the y axis; I've seen it generate far above that. Is there an accurate chart somewhere or some kind of resource I can look at? Thanks.

EDIT: Also, which version of this modpack is everybody currently using?
If you read the chart linked above, you'll see iron ore appears as the "in-between ore" for magnetite and appears at y-level 50-120, but it's not all that common here (I don't recall if you can make iron from magnetite, possibly so). The standard iron ore is limonite, which does appear at y-level 10-40.

As for the version, since v3 isn't out yet everyone would be playing the latest v2.

Reign Dance

Jul 29, 2019
Interesting, well thank you for the answers. I think that's all of the questions I've had since I downloaded this a couple days ago.