[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
Is it just me or is Iron insanely hard to get (for strip mining) and even rare as all hell in caves?
Not really. You just need to be looking at correct height. Consult GT OreGen Guide book for exact places where to find iron (You will probably be looking more for Limonite vein, rather than Iron)

Yeti

Jul 29, 2019
Is it just me or is Iron insanely hard to get (for strip mining) and even rare as all hell in caves?

Can't say I've had much problems getting iron. I managed to find one of those Uber-veins of the stuff. Got about ten stacks from it AND counting.

dnarik

Jul 29, 2019
I've got a problem with this modpack. I added Underground Biomes, removed Project Zulu and Roguelike Dungeons, created the world with Biomes 'O Plenty setup. So, looking through kinda 20 chunks I didn't find any Tin/Cassiterite veins. Can it be a problem with installed Underground Biomes or turned on Biomes 'O Plenty, or it is a problem with GregTech 5.08.12?
UPD1: Also found out, that I deleted 3D Furnace and IHL Tools and added Bacpacks mod
UPD2: And I've been lookin not througn 20 chunks, but in 100-120 chunks in 4 different world at all heights

Last edited:

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
I've got a problem with this modpack. I added Underground Biomes, removed Project Zulu and Roguelike Dungeons, created the world with Biomes 'O Plenty setup. So, looking through kinda 20 chunks I didn't find any Tin/Cassiterite veins. Can it be a problem with installed Underground Biomes or turned on Biomes 'O Plenty, or it is a problem with GregTech 5.08.12?
UPD1: Also found out, that I deleted 3D Furnace and IHL Tools and added Bacpacks mod
UPD2: And I've been lookin not througn 20 chunks, but in 100-120 chunks in 4 different world at all heights

Tin only spawns in high areas. So either you searched in a very high zone or all the chuncks you searched in had no possible way to spawn Tin.

Also I do not know what Underground bioms does. But any mod that changes worldgen is likely to fuck up GT ore gen.

dnarik

Jul 29, 2019
Tin only spawns in high areas. So either you searched in a very high zone or all the chuncks you searched in had no possible way to spawn Tin.

Also I do not know what Underground bioms does. But any mod that changes worldgen is likely to fuck up GT ore gen.

Well, any other ore veins/cloud spawn correctly, so problem isn't abouth that. Now I'm trying to change a GT config and see wha will happen

Yeti

Jul 29, 2019
Well, any other ore veins/cloud spawn correctly, so problem isn't abouth that. Now I'm trying to change a GT config and see wha will happen

If you are only looking for it by sight (without xray mods, texture packs that stand out,etc) tin is incredibly hard to spot. Like its completely the same texture as stone. We had the same problem when we started, turned out we were walking right by loads of it!!

dnarik

Jul 29, 2019
If you are only looking for it by sight (without xray mods, texture packs that stand out,etc) tin is incredibly hard to spot. Like its completely the same texture as stone. We had the same problem when we started, turned out we were walking right by loads of it!!

Iron looks much more like stone, Cassiterite doesn't, and I just delete all stone. BTW, could you recommend good xray?

Yeti

Jul 29, 2019
Iron looks much more like stone, Cassiterite doesn't, and I just delete all stone. BTW, could you recommend good xray?

Yeah iron does look just like stone but we did have trouble seeing tin when we started our server. A different texture pack sorted that. As for Xray mods, couldn't recommend any as I've never used any of them.

Quick question to everybody else, it's become apparent that I may have cracked sand spread problems. Just wondering if my eyes are imagining the spread or not? And if it is spreading, what's the cure? I know I can set cautia=false in the config but I've read a couple of horror storys about that and would rather not bother.

dnarik

Jul 29, 2019
BTW, maybe here is some problen in config, generated by GT? If I cope it here, could you find the problem?

Hlaaftana

Jul 29, 2019
Underground Biomes just changes regular stone into other types of stone. Greg added support for it years ago, and still keeps it. Can definitely confirm. I can also confirm that it doesn't change spawn rates, including Tin veins.

Hlaaftana

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah iron does look just like stone.
Umm... The only veins which spawn the actual Iron Ore are the Chalcopyrite and Iron Magnetite veins, and they barely have the iron ore. If you're looking for a full Iron vein, you should look for yellow, green or brown ore in the same area. This vein is called the Limonite vein.

dnarik

Jul 29, 2019
Underground Biomes just changes regular stone into other types of stone. Greg added support for it years ago, and still keeps it. Can definitely confirm. I can also confirm that it doesn't change spawn rates, including Tin veins.

But you've got no idea, why tin/cassiterite veins/clound are not spawning?

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
But you've got no idea, why tin/cassiterite veins/clound are not spawning?
They spawn. You are just unlucky, or looking at wrong y-levels

When i was in doubt, i just went ahead, made a copy of the world and removed all the stone grass, dirt etc... and searched in creative for not even 5 minutes to locate what I was looking for. (/cofh clearblocks name 100 200 100 stone water grass dirt gravel sand...)

dnarik

Jul 29, 2019
They spawn. You are just unlucky, or looking at wrong y-levels

When i was in doubt, i just went ahead, made a copy of the world and removed all the stone grass, dirt etc... and searched in creative for not even 5 minutes to locate what I was looking for. (/cofh clearblocks name 100 200 100 stone water grass dirt gravel sand...)

I did that in 4 types of the world: Large Biomes, Vanilla, Biomes 'O Plenty, Amplified, in each of them I flown for kinda 30 chunks in all the heights, and found no Cassiterite/Tin veins/clouds, but I'll continue. BTW can't you say, what is the height of Cassiterite?

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
I did that in 4 types of the world: Large Biomes, Vanilla, Biomes 'O Plenty, Amplified, in each of them I flown for kinda 30 chunks in all the heights, and found no Cassiterite/Tin veins/clouds, but I'll continue. BTW can't you say, what is the height of Cassiterite?
Not from top of my head. Check the oregen guide ingame

Yeti

Jul 29, 2019
Umm... The only veins which spawn the actual Iron Ore are the Chalcopyrite and Iron Magnetite veins, and they barely have the iron ore. If you're looking for a full Iron vein, you should look for yellow, green or brown ore in the same area. This vein is called the Limonite vein.

Yeah, it's not me looking. I was just agreeing that the iron ore itself doesn't stand out. Everything you said though is true. I did however find loads of iron disguised as stone like gregtech used to do. Like tons of it. That was however in 2.1.4 of this pack.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I started a new world with the latest version in order to see how things suit me, and the first thing I noticed beyond the GT adaptations I know of is that hoes won't work. Meaning that they make grass into dirt, and I get some seeds from doing that, but they don't make farmland. How the heck am I supposed to get food?

Also, I might just regret starting with the soon-to-be-outdated v2 since I had a beautiful starting location with lots of undergrowth where mobs can't spawn and can't get through - and some steep hills for building and mining. I guess the new version will not be worldgen-compatible, right? So that I can expect sharp edges in newly-created chunks should I attempt a world conversion?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Iron is probably more prevalent than any other resource, really. You get fair quantities in those magnetite veins, but you'll also run into a crazy amount of chalcopyrite veins. Limonite is even more prevalent according to the wiki guide, although I seem to find way more chalco veins than limonite.

Dig a straight line at level 20 with a decent pick/drill and you'll find iron within 30 minutes.