[1.7.10] Journey to the Core (Hardcore, HQM)

MinecraftMart

Jul 29, 2019
Well i made it, but light atracts. And light kills... And the mobs, HOLY. And is it right that i live on layer 20? I mined 5 blocks down.

Gq1rf7

Jul 29, 2019
And the mobs, HOLY. And is it right that i live on layer 20? I mined 5 blocks down.

That may be too few. :) You'll get the hell spawning on top of you, and that 5 layers will get blown up quickly. I learned it the hard way!

I've got a couple more opinions about the modpack. For example, some things are not explained in the quest book:
- How do you get lava for the smeltery? Of course, you told me that I can find lava below lvl 30, but if you don't say it, it's not obvious that there is lava at all. And here you can't just go and explore like in the vanilla Minecraft, especially before using the smeltery. Some quests have "you can find iron at lvls 100-250, maybe you could add something like this for lava too?
- How to get better lights than torches that go out after some time? You also told me that I can find glowstone above lvl 200 or so, but if you don't say it, I would have never guessed it that I can find it before the nether dimension, and I would have never tried to mine that high, I didn't expect there to be anything. Maybe you could add a quest for this, to get glowstone (or if there is already, get it earlier in the quest line). Glowstone is so damn better than torches, and is very important to stay alive.
- How to get snow?
- How to get eggs? Do I have to wait for chickens to spawn?
- Is teleporting to a waypoint cheating? I don't know. Cheating is enabled to use the quest book, but can we teleport when cheating is not enabled?

Other things. There is this rouletteores or blocks or something mod that rarely spawns random things randomly when you mine something. What's the purpose of this mod other than to annoy you? lol. It usually just spawns something that will kill you, or rather, blow the hell up. And you can't prepare for it! At least you can see and feel if you are mining a stone monster egg block, but not in this case. So annoying...

It's cool that the monsters are more "clever". Well, at least harder. They can see you from farther, and will follow you usually infinitely. That's cool. What's not cool, is that they can see you through the wall, if you mine underground, they follow you on the surface. What's the worst is when you are at home, and ghasts not just see you through everything, but they also shoot your base until they blow everything up.

Am I not supposed to be able to kill creepers? Once they get close to you, so you can hit them with a melee weapon, they blow up, even if you run away (how you can kill them in vanilla Minecraft). So, I should be able to kill them with 2 hits, before they blow up, but that's not really possible early and mid game. I probably need the best weapon (alumite?) upgraded the cave dimension has to offer before I can 2-hit kill them.

Do squids despawn if you move too far? My squids disappeared somehow, and the ink harvester reverted back where there is no GUI, so I can't get the inks out of it.

What brightness do you prefer? You say "the darkness is overwhelming". It is damn right on 0% brightness, but it's not particularly bad on 100%.

I already know that your answer will be no. I really would like to go back to previous dimensions. I'm building such a nice base, I don't want to leave it!

Ok, problems aside, I'm really enjoying this modpack. Maybe it's too hard, I'm dieing all the time, but that's why it's good. Umm, the first part, not because I die all the time. I like that there is something on the top of the map too worth going up for, and the dried dirt + dead wood + oak wood combo is realistic anyway. Is the whole map random? Or is it built, but you begin at different places?

Last edited:

Dano6655

Jul 29, 2019
I find really hard to believe that while moving around you have not seen lava on your minimap at least once.

glowstone can be gotten by breaking the glowing mushrooms in addition to it being at the top of the map.

snow is giving through a quest and after that it can be produced with a glacial precipitator

there is a whole quest section for passive mobs

teleporting to waypoint is cheating that's obvious. cheats being enabled is required because of HQM having issues

roulette ores was put in because mining was way too safe after he removed lycanites mobs so that was in to make it more interesting and potentially dangerous
your vision is capped so increasing your brightness doesn't help much

there's no way he'll allow you to go backward it's against the theme of the pack lol

overall though this pack forces you to move a lot. there isn't just one level that everything spawns on you have to look around for stuff. there's a lot of stuff in the map generation he doesn't tell you about that it's better to find out for yourself then to have handed to you

as for mobs. feel happy enderman don't have naturally aggressive AI anymore lol

Pudding01

Jul 29, 2019
Well, this can go one of two ways... Either I'll love it or I'll hate it...

Well, Let's do this.

LEROOOOOOOOOYY JENKINS!!!!!

Gq1rf7

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the response. I think I found a bug while filling the portable tank with lava. Sometimes it removes 1000mb when I want to fill it. I'm not sure if it indeed loses the lava, or just the number is bad on it. I made a quick video about it:

Darkosto

Jul 29, 2019
That may be too few. :) You'll get the hell spawning on top of you, and that 5 layers will get blown up quickly. I learned it the hard way!

I've got a couple more opinions about the modpack. For example, some things are not explained in the quest book:
- How do you get lava for the smeltery? Of course, you told me that I can find lava below lvl 30, but if you don't say it, it's not obvious that there is lava at all. And here you can't just go and explore like in the vanilla Minecraft, especially before using the smeltery. Some quests have "you can find iron at lvls 100-250, maybe you could add something like this for lava too?
- How to get better lights than torches that go out after some time? You also told me that I can find glowstone above lvl 200 or so, but if you don't say it, I would have never guessed it that I can find it before the nether dimension, and I would have never tried to mine that high, I didn't expect there to be anything. Maybe you could add a quest for this, to get glowstone (or if there is already, get it earlier in the quest line). Glowstone is so damn better than torches, and is very important to stay alive.
- How to get snow?
- How to get eggs? Do I have to wait for chickens to spawn?
- Is teleporting to a waypoint cheating? I don't know. Cheating is enabled to use the quest book, but can we teleport when cheating is not enabled?

Other things. There is this rouletteores or blocks or something mod that rarely spawns random things randomly when you mine something. What's the purpose of this mod other than to annoy you? lol. It usually just spawns something that will kill you, or rather, blow the hell up. And you can't prepare for it! At least you can see and feel if you are mining a stone monster egg block, but not in this case. So annoying...

It's cool that the monsters are more "clever". Well, at least harder. They can see you from farther, and will follow you usually infinitely. That's cool. What's not cool, is that they can see you through the wall, if you mine underground, they follow you on the surface. What's the worst is when you are at home, and ghasts not just see you through everything, but they also shoot your base until they blow everything up.

Am I not supposed to be able to kill creepers? Once they get close to you, so you can hit them with a melee weapon, they blow up, even if you run away (how you can kill them in vanilla Minecraft). So, I should be able to kill them with 2 hits, before they blow up, but that's not really possible early and mid game. I probably need the best weapon (alumite?) upgraded the cave dimension has to offer before I can 2-hit kill them.

Do squids despawn if you move too far? My squids disappeared somehow, and the ink harvester reverted back where there is no GUI, so I can't get the inks out of it.

What brightness do you prefer? You say "the darkness is overwhelming". It is damn right on 0% brightness, but it's not particularly bad on 100%.

I already know that your answer will be no. I really would like to go back to previous dimensions. I'm building such a nice base, I don't want to leave it!

Ok, problems aside, I'm really enjoying this modpack. Maybe it's too hard, I'm dieing all the time, but that's why it's good. Umm, the first part, not because I die all the time. I like that there is something on the top of the map too worth going up for, and the dried dirt + dead wood + oak wood combo is realistic anyway. Is the whole map random? Or is it built, but you begin at different places?

Hey Gq1rf7, I'll do my best to address your questions :)

1. Lava is randomized all over the map. The best way to find it is by using your minimap and traveling to find it. I find most lava safely below level 30. So I open my map go down a few levels until it shows up and keep looking. I added a small addition to describe this in the quest book which will be available in the next update.
2. Better lights can be made by glowstone and this is actually stated in the tutorial book :)
3. Snow is also given in the quest book, just follow the quests and you will see it
4. You can get the eggs from chickens that are given in the quest book.
5. Teleporting to a waypoint is considered "cheating". Yes, it is available but that is because cheats need to be enabled for HQM to work properly.
6. RouletteOres is meant to keep the player on their toes. There is definitely a way to prepare for it by leaving yourself room and having the proper tools when necessary to face the spawned entity. This is very similar to troll ores or geonach spawning from other mobs. Mining is not meant to be safe and this adds extra danger to the pack. The chance of this happening is 3% so it is not very common at all.
7. You're not ever meant to feel safe and to protect yourself from mobs being that much more clever and dangerous it forces you to think differently about how to build your base or where to build it.
8. You can kill creepers, but I wouldn't try to until you are a little better geared or have a decent weapon. I personally have had this issue so you may want to develop a better weapon, maybe Steel? It is absolutely attainable in the cave dimension.
9. Squids despawning at a certain distance is a Vanilla minecraft mechanic, not something unique to this pack
10. I personally play on 100% brightness and that is because I stream and need to have a brighter screen for my viewers since my software shows a darker game than I see on my own screen. I suggest you play at what brightness makes you feel the most comfortable.
11. Yes, the map is always randomized when you enter the cave dimension. You will never have the same map twice

I appreciate the feedback and I hope this helps! :)

Well, this can go one of two ways... Either I'll love it or I'll hate it...

Well, Let's do this.

LEROOOOOOOOOYY JENKINS!!!!!

Have fun and good luck!! Let me know what you think! :D

Thanks for the response. I think I found a bug while filling the portable tank with lava. Sometimes it removes 1000mb when I want to fill it. I'm not sure if it indeed loses the lava, or just the number is bad on it. I made a quick video about it:

This seems to be an issue that comes up a lot with this mechanic. If it's what I think it is, then it's a vanilla issue. Basically, you're grabbing lava that is technically out of your reach but the bucket still looks filled. So when you go to put it in the tank it realizes it isn't filled and takes lava out instead. Try to grab lava from a somewhat closer distance and it should be good :)

Looks fun! Mind if I make a server for it?

Go for it!!! Just make sure to credit the authors when necessary and let me know if you have issues. I will let you know that the current server package is under development so it may not be the best yet, but we are working on it. There is an issue of people spawning on top of bedrock so I suggest first making a single player world, writing down those coordinates, and then TPing your self there when you log on to the multiplayer world. Be on the lookout for a better server version soon!!

Pudding01

Jul 29, 2019
The quest book mentions the "how not to die" book being in the starting chest when you actually get it through a quest...

Gq1rf7

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the response. About the difficulty of the mobs and the roulette ores. It makes sense what you say. And after some equipment, bonus health (canisters), they are not that big trouble as they are early in the game.
You're not ever meant to feel safe and to protect yourself from mobs being that much more clever and dangerous it forces you to think differently about how to build your base or where to build it.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking about, but on different things. Here you have to obey different rules than in a vanilla Minecraft to survive. Like what we have in vanilla, never mine under yourself, because you might fall into lava. And this is pretty much likeable in this modpack, that you have to learn a new Minecraft, in a way I never experienced before.

Basically, you're grabbing lava that is technically out of your reach but the bucket still looks filled. So when you go to put it in the tank it realizes it isn't filled and takes lava out instead. Try to grab lava from a somewhat closer distance and it should be good :)
Ahh, then I'm not actually losing any lava! That's good.

I've got another question. What can I do with the molten ardite I'm finding? I can't get it into a smeltery, and the NEI doesn't show any recipes to get it to solid form.

Ugrashrath

Jul 29, 2019
I've got another question. What can I do with the molten ardite I'm finding? I can't get it into a smeltery, and the NEI doesn't show any recipes to get it to solid form.

You actually can get it into a smeltery. The Smeltery Drain isn't just a one way block of getting material out. It can also let you put liquids in. Simply, turn that block around to face into the smeltery, and you can then pipe liquids in.

The simplest way I've found is to get a portable tank from Thermal Expansion. Put the liquid you want into that tank, and then place it on top of the drain. Shift-right click tank with a wrench, and it will drain into the smeltery. This should work for the liquid cobalt and ardite you find. You can also do this with water and lava and make instant liquid obsidian in your smeltery without ever having to mine it.

Darkosto

Jul 29, 2019
You actually can get it into a smeltery. The Smeltery Drain isn't just a one way block of getting material out. It can also let you put liquids in. Simply, turn that block around to face into the smeltery, and you can then pipe liquids in.

The simplest way I've found is to get a portable tank from Thermal Expansion. Put the liquid you want into that tank, and then place it on top of the drain. Shift-right click tank with a wrench, and it will drain into the smeltery. This should work for the liquid cobalt and ardite you find. You can also do this with water and lava and make instant liquid obsidian in your smeltery without ever having to mine it.

That's mostly correct :) I would also use a portable tank directly on top of the drain, turn it to output with a crescent hammer, and it will insert it into the smeltery. But, you cannot make obsidian that way in this pack because it is turned off.

Darkosto

Jul 29, 2019
Are trees supposed to take forever and a day to grow?

Trees are set to grow the same as vanilla so you may not have enough space for yours to grow. I suggest a 9x9x9 area to start with. If a tree doesn't have enough space for its logs to spawn it will not grow. Try opening up the area a bit more :)

Pudding01

Jul 29, 2019
Trees are set to grow the same as vanilla so you may not have enough space for yours to grow. I suggest a 9x9x9 area to start with. If a tree doesn't have enough space for its logs to spawn it will not grow. Try opening up the area a bit more :)
They have atleast 50 blocks up (I didn't count, have yet to reach the celling of that place). For the light thing, I just found out that if you count two blocks away from the dirt the sapling's on, mine the third block, and place a torch in the hole it's enough light for it to grow without lighting the tree on fire when it grows. (still takes awhile though...)

classlessrook32

Jul 29, 2019
JOiTbgO.png

Welcome to paradise! Ha! Yeah right! This is the Islandic volcano Snæfellsjökull, a dark and dangerous cave system. Deep underground is rumored to be many treasures but none have survived the trip. Will you set up camp and survive the trek into the unknown?

Journey to the Core is a challenge modpack based on the story "Journey to the Center of the Earth". You begin your trip in a small cave on the overworld and slowly move further down dimension by dimension until you reach the core. Enemies are smarter, the physics are real, and the darkness is overwhelming. Check it out today!

Pack Code: JTTC​

Modpack Developers:
Darkosto
Funwayguy
Turkey2349

vQIWWhS.png

p1XAvdH.png
9qpMz4N.jpg
VAtBRvL.png
ABluy59.png

Apple Core
Artifacts
Backpack
Bibliocraft
Biomes O Plenty
Carpenters Blocks
Chisel 2
Code Chicken Core
CoFHCore
Damage Indicators Mod
Deconstruction Table
Doomlike Dungeon
Dynamic Lights
EnderIO
Ender Storage
EnviroMine
Epic Siege Mod
Extra Utilities
ExtraTIC
Forge Multipart
Gany's Surface
HQM - The Journey
Hunger Overhaul
iChunUtil
Iguana Tinker Tweaks
Immibis Core
Immibis-microblocks
InGameInfoXML
InfiniteInvo
Inventory Tweaks
Ironchest
Jabba
Journey Maps
Journey to the Core Portal Tweak Mod
Lava Monsters
Lockdown
LunatriusCore
Mantle
Minefactory Reloaded
Mine Tweaker
Mine Tweaker Recipe Maker
Mob Amputation
Mob Dismemberment
Not Enough Items
Open Blocks
Open Mods Lib
Pam's HarvestCraft
PlayerAPI
ProjectE
Random Things
Smart Core
Smart Moving
Smart Render
Sound Filters
Special Mobs
Steve's Factory Manager
Tinkers' Construct
Thermal Expansion
Thermal Foundation
Turkey Utilities Alpha
Vein Miner
Waila
Waila Harvestability
Wild Caves

Also Available: The Soartex Custom Texture Pack designed specifically for this modpack Soartex

Feel free to post any bugs, comments, or questions on this forum.

Changelogs - http://pastebin.com/DLG8WgKn

Thank you and good luck!​
Darkosto
Twitter: twitter.com/DarkostoTV
Twitch: twitch.tv/Darkosto
Email: [email protected]

I stream on a daily basis (except Tuesdays) from 11am cst for about 8-10 hours and often stream this pack. I invite anyone to come check it out!

the elevator teleporation method isn't very good messed up the loading of my game.