[1.7.10]Hubris V1.6.1- HQM - 270+ Quests [Magic][Dungeons][Dimensions][Exploration] Ex-Listed!

SalmonMax

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I spent days digging all the tainted nodes out from under my island. Surface ones are easy. Even the buried ones aren't TOO bad.

The ones buried in the lower levels of the dungeon?

Those took some work. :)

Foxdemon

Jul 29, 2019
Or
Argh, yeah. Witchery is kind of a slog to advance through. But so be it.

Interesting notion about the fibrous taint. I always thought it could spread into non-tainted lands and corrupt them. Interesting notion about magic forests though! I don't want to turn the whole world into magic forests, but I could use them as boundaries perhaps, and alter the lands within to other things later.

Botania actually can transmute redstone into glowstone powder very early on, with the Alchemy Catalyst. I am literally drowning in redstone at the moment, so that is unlikely to be a problem. :)

Thanks for the advice!
Or you just fly around in the nether with your enchanted broom and mine glowstone with the excavationfocus on a wand...like i do

Foxdemon

Jul 29, 2019
Something to look out for when trying to change biomes to fix taint: if there is a tainted node in a given chunk, you can make the biome anything you please and it will still remain tainted. This is true even when using ethereal blooms. You need to kill the tainted nodes.
If you want to clean up a lot of fibrous taint (i dont know if it automatically dies of in another biome), use an infused pig with ethearealbloom powers. It eats taint XD

SalmonMax

Jul 29, 2019
Hah! Haven't quite gotten there yet. Been to the nether a few times. Built a little fort with slabs so I can't get murdered by pigmen right out of the gate. Got some quartz and stuff but there's no fortress in immediate view and I haven't felt the need to explore much yet. Turns out that the pigmen that spawn in the overworld from the portal are actually neutral, so that's nice.

I'm still pondering which form of flight I want to pursue. There's the thaumostatic harness, the Flight spell component from Ars Magica, and the Witchery broom. Or the Flugel Tiara from Botania I suppose, but that's still a long way off. I -do- have a nether star though! Got it from a rare loot bag! So AM2 flight is on the table once I get some red orbs.

Fun stuff!

Foxdemon! That's...an intriguing notion. I may have to kill some sheep and see if I can get pigs to spawn on my island. I have been going down the Thaumic Horizons paths lately...

Jetsetlemming

Jul 29, 2019
There's also the Runic Dungeons flight, an advanced belt base + two feathers. I'm using that plus the cloak of raven feathers (I've focused mostly on Thaumcraft) and it feels like creative mode basically.

SalmonMax

Jul 29, 2019
Advanced belt base, eh?

SHOOT! I had a nether star, but I built a beacon with it before I read your post!

Guess I'd better start killin' pigmen and get another one fair and square. I don't expect I'll get more from loot bags again. :)

Thanks for the tip!

Jetsetlemming

Jul 29, 2019
Runic Dungeons, conveniently, occasionally have prebuilt Wither summoning rooms, and the relatively small space and unbreakable walls make the fight much easier than if it were out in the open. :)

I can't figure out how to use Thaumcraft tubing for the life of me. It always starts shooting out steam if I try to go farther than like two blocks away from the alembic, so I've just set up a big stack of alembics and have been manually emptying them by hand with the warded jars. Thankfully infusion can draw directly from jars, but I don't know how I'm going to use the machinery that requires tubes, like the animal infusing for the Dark Arts quest branch.

SalmonMax

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah. I found that room. I took the wither apart with my mining beam from a distance, wary that there'd be some trap that created it without me being ready. Took all the bits and pieces home with me. But you're right that it's a good arena for a wither fight, so I'll probably take it back there before fighting it. Also, I think it only gives a dungeon key if you fight it in the dungeon? Hopefully I didn't wreck that. :)

Got some decent potions, but I don't have a good sword. However, one of my spells is doing just over 10 damage against the training dummy, so that's not bad. Not sure if potions increase that though.

We'll see!

Trisscar

Jul 29, 2019
I can't figure out how to use Thaumcraft tubing for the life of me. It always starts shooting out steam if I try to go farther than like two blocks away from the alembic, so I've just set up a big stack of alembics and have been manually emptying them by hand with the warded jars. Thankfully infusion can draw directly from jars, but I don't know how I'm going to use the machinery that requires tubes, like the animal infusing for the Dark Arts quest branch.
The tubes for Thaumcraft are..... weird. They get stuck really easily, you basically can't have them transport more than one type of essentia at a time, ever. The smoke CAN be an indication of being stuck, but I've also had it come up when it's doing nothing at all, or if it needs an aspect but can't find it.

The easiest way to use them with the alembic seems to be attaching tubes to each side, and never letting the different tubes connect. Then just plop down a jar underneath a tube that's attached to a alembic with essentia in it, and it should offload it into the jar. If that doesn't work for whatever reason, post pics and I'll see if I can debug it for you. :)

Yeah. I found that room. I took the wither apart with my mining beam from a distance, wary that there'd be some trap that created it without me being ready. Took all the bits and pieces home with me. But you're right that it's a good arena for a wither fight, so I'll probably take it back there before fighting it. Also, I think it only gives a dungeon key if you fight it in the dungeon? Hopefully I didn't wreck that. :)

Got some decent potions, but I don't have a good sword. However, one of my spells is doing just over 10 damage against the training dummy, so that's not bad. Not sure if potions increase that though.

We'll see!
If you'd like, there's a community spellbook on this forum for AM2 that spells out some good combinations and a bit of how the spell system works. It's really helpful when it comes to the more obscured parts of how spell grammar is supposed to be;
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/ars-magica-2-community-spellbook.38029/

Eunomiac

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone know how armor works? I'd very much appreciate a moment of your time, I have a few questions:
  • Why am I taking non-magical damage with 26 armor points? At 26 pts (thanks, Earth Armor!), vanilla mechanics would have me negating 104% of all incoming non-magical damage (26 pts, at 4% protection per). There doesn't appear to be a cap or a diminishing returns on the vanilla mechanic, because in there doesn't need to be---full Diamond, the vanilla max, only negates 80% (at 20 pts). Has a mod changed how the armor mechanic functions? Or maybe I don't understand what "magical damage" truly encompasses?
  • Why does the Magic Resistance enchantment not protect MmmMmmMmm's Test Dummies from magical damage? At least, it had no effect on damage from the Ars Magica 2 "Magical Damage" spell component. Are the Test Dummies inaccurate?
  • Is Runic Armor really worth it? It seems to crumple fairly quickly considering the number of points I have in it... is it not protected by my armor, perhaps?
  • Which of These Armor Combinations is Best? I know they're not the best, but they include armor sets with synergy bonuses and I'm curious about how they compare. They're all imbued with Physical Damage Protection and Magical Damage Protection, and enchanted with Protection IV (except Earth Armor):
    • Thaumium Fortress Helm, Earth Armor, Thaumium Fortress Thighs, Speedy Boots (i.e. Boots of the Traveller/Meteor/Comet)
    • Battlemage Circlet, Earth Armor, Battlemage Leggings, Speedy Boots
    • Battlemage Circlet, Battlemage Chestplate, Battlemage Leggings, Speedy Boots
    • ... some other combination of the above, even one that sacrifices them delicious Speedy Boots for a set piece?
  • Any Other Armor Tips/Tricks You've Come Upon In Your Travels? For any stage of the pack.

Trisscar

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone know how armor works? I'd very much appreciate a moment of your time, I have a few questions:
  • Why am I taking non-magical damage with 26 armor points? At 26 pts (thanks, Earth Armor!), vanilla mechanics would have me negating 104% of all incoming non-magical damage (26 pts, at 4% protection per). There doesn't appear to be a cap or a diminishing returns on the vanilla mechanic, because in there doesn't need to be---full Diamond, the vanilla max, only negates 80% (at 20 pts). Has a mod changed how the armor mechanic functions? Or maybe I don't understand what "magical damage" truly encompasses?
  • Why does the Magic Resistance enchantment not protect MmmMmmMmm's Test Dummies from magical damage? At least, it had no effect on damage from the Ars Magica 2 "Magical Damage" spell component. Are the Test Dummies inaccurate?
  • Is Runic Armor really worth it? It seems to crumple fairly quickly considering the number of points I have in it... is it not protected by my armor, perhaps?
  • Which of These Armor Combinations is Best? I know they're not the best, but they include armor sets with synergy bonuses and I'm curious about how they compare. They're all imbued with Physical Damage Protection and Magical Damage Protection, and enchanted with Protection IV (except Earth Armor):
    • Thaumium Fortress Helm, Earth Armor, Thaumium Fortress Thighs, Speedy Boots (i.e. Boots of the Traveller/Meteor/Comet)
    • Battlemage Circlet, Earth Armor, Battlemage Leggings, Speedy Boots
    • Battlemage Circlet, Battlemage Chestplate, Battlemage Leggings, Speedy Boots
    • ... some other combination of the above, even one that sacrifices them delicious Speedy Boots for a set piece?
  • Any Other Armor Tips/Tricks You've Come Upon In Your Travels? For any stage of the pack.

Haven't played in a while, but I never took dmg with just the earth armor/battlemage set. I've also seen other packs with AM2 where this setup is better than anything but fully upgraded blood armor, and even then it's better in certain cases. It might require the battlemage boots for the full effect though, so if you were testing with thaumboots on, that's probably why.
Honestly, I'd say stick with battlemage till you get to high tier blood magic. This said, I've never tried fortress armor or the other warp stuff because I didn't want to deal with the effects, so....

SalmonMax

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm. Have magic mirrors and Everfull Urns been disabled in this pack? Seems like I should have unlocked them by now!

Foxdemon

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm. Have magic mirrors and Everfull Urns been disabled in this pack? Seems like I should have unlocked them by now!
U can unlock the everful urn after the arcane ear has been researched...

Yeah, i know its weird, but im not the creator

shadow0987727

Jul 29, 2019
i cant seem to craft essentia buffers, am i doing somethign wrong?
edit: i have the research, but when i try to craft it, nothing shows up in the arcane worckbench

Last edited:

shadow0987727

Jul 29, 2019
Untitled.png
thaumcraft book..png
soo
recipy.png

SeaWind5982

Jul 29, 2019
Does it require 9 aqua and 9 ordo? unless you have the robes and all that to reduce the cost maybe you just don't gotta enough aqua to work?

Edit: ok so 5 ordo and aqua but so either a glitch bug or i still think its the aqua requirement that could be a little low even with gold wand it still takes more than it says it should.

SalmonMax

Jul 29, 2019
The EAR! Thank you!

Oddly though, the recipe for mirrored glass (quicksilver + glass) is either disabled, or I'm just derping even more. I've tried it with glass block, glass pane, and a quicksilver drop and a full blob of quicksilver.

Man, I hope it's not disabled. I really want some mirrors to go with my inferrnal furnace. It's kind of a bummer having to go down there for mah stuff.

Oh, and thanks to the good forumgoer who tipped me off onto the Belt of Flight. That thing is a little crazy OP, and I should feel dirty using it...but I'm having too much fun flying around to care. :)