1.7.10 FTB Pack News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alcatsa

Jul 29, 2019
Keep up the great work you and all the devs are doing, FTB gave back the fun playing the game for me looking forward to see what the futer has in store.

And hope you all get plenty of yarn to play with

All Cats need to stick togther

Last edited:

JunpakuKarasu

Jul 29, 2019
Questing and Minecraft should never mix. Guess I'll just have to disable that mod on our server I hate doing it but if they are putting questing in every mod pack then I guess I'll have to. I love FTB but what's with the sudden love for questing?
Um... this isn't out of nowhere at all, FTB's origin is in questing. o_O

Feed the Beast, also known as FTB, originated as a custom challenge map for Minecraft that made heavy use of many mods. It played very similar to a type of map known as Sky Block, where the player is started in a void world with only a small platform, and must overcome a series of challenges. Because FTB included tech mods, it was possible to use the various custom blocks and items to keep track of the challenges and the player's progress, as well as automatically give awards after each challenge was met.

Things are just returning to their origins now that we have a new mod that lets you set up the submissions and rewards system without requiring a Doctorate in Redstone Wizardry. ;)

Giddimani

Jul 29, 2019
Questing and Minecraft should never mix. Guess I'll just have to disable that mod on our server I hate doing it but if they are putting questing in every mod pack then I guess I'll have to. I love FTB but what's with the sudden love for questing?

How dare other people like to play the game in a different way than you, if that means it takes you 0 seconds not to use it. o_O

I don't understand the complaining in this thread, if you don't like a mod don't use it. Isn't this the way it has always been with every mod ever?

"You like mod X, use it. You don't like mod X, don't use it." I know it's a concept some don't accept, but it's really that simple.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Sad to see the discontinuation of the Ultimate/Unleashed/Monster line, and personally baffled by the decision. From my point of view these packs have always been the most popular of the non-third party packs.

Sure there wont be a need to handle ID conflicts any more, but there is still tons of configurations and other setup that needs to be done that I think is above the average players level. I think I personally would be able to set up/configure some stuff(or at least know where to learn how to), but other stuff I don't even know where to start on. This is why I play modpacks and don't create them from scratch myself. I would also never be able to do the same amount of testing/bug removal on my own.

I know it is early days, but personally I don't see myself playing any of the packs mentioned. Hope some third party pack picks comes along to fill the void left by the lack of a Ultimate-line pack.

AndrewPwner

Jul 29, 2019
Sad to see the discontinuation of the Ultimate/Unleashed/Monster line, and personally baffled by the decision. From my point of view these packs have always been the most popular of the non-third party packs.

Sure there wont be a need to handle ID conflicts any more, but there is still tons of configurations and other setup that needs to be done that I think is above the average players level. I think I personally would be able to set up/configure some stuff(or at least know where to learn how to), but other stuff I don't even know where to start on. This is why I play modpacks and don't create them from scratch myself. I would also never be able to do the same amount of testing/bug removal on my own.

I know it is early days, but personally I don't see myself playing any of the packs mentioned. Hope some third party pack picks comes along to fill the void left by the lack of a Ultimate-line pack.
I don't know if you read a couple pages and I hope this doesn't come off as rude but it was mentioned a couple times how easy it is now to make monster, ultimate packs. You basically just jumble everything you want into minecraft. Minecraft takes care of ID's by itself now so it is very easy.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I don't know if you read a couple pages and I hope this doesn't come off as rude but it was mentioned a couple times how easy it is now to make monster, ultimate packs. You basically just jumble everything you want into minecraft. Minecraft takes care of ID's by itself now so it is very easy.

This, and apparently the mythical Curse/Ftb launcher in the works will be set up to allow "menu" selection of mods on the fly.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
And I repeatedly will continue to claim that this is simply not true!

You still need to know how to set up stuff like:
Ore spawns,
Configure recipes to match other installed mods,
Register blocks for stuff like FMP etc.,
Configure terrain generators to work with other terrain generators and other mods adding biomes/world features,
Disable features that might be considered too OP in conjunction with other mods,
Balance input/output to match other mods,
Disable/restrict duplicate resources,
Remove Griefing exploits,
Keeping taps of stable/new versions of all the mods in question,
Bug/stress testing

Seriously these are the reasons I play finished modpacks, not because of ID-conflicts. Almost any moron can fix ID-conflics with a little bit of research.

Some people might be satisfied with just downloading a bunch of mods and loading them up without doing any of the above or care if it wrecks their world halfway through due to a bug. I am not. And some people might be willing(and able) to spend enough time to fully develop a modpack of their own, going through all the above steps and more. I am not. I play modded MC to PLAY modded MC.

And tbh anyone who keeps saying that it is just a matter of "piling mods onto MC and run it" are doing the people who have previously been developing any modpack really a great injustice. After all if it was just a matter of "piling mod together" then why does it take so long to develop the packs and update them? And why are the changelogs of something like Monster filled with config changes etc.?

This, and apparently the mythical Curse/Ftb launcher in the works will be set up to allow "menu" selection of mods on the fly.
This would be great if the launcher could also do all the steps above when being forced to build a modpack almost from the bottom up. Just doubt it will ever be complex/intelligent enough to do so.

Personally think that FTB might benefit greatly from recruiting/hiring/whatever someone interested/with a passion for making these particular type of modpacks. Eyamaz have stated several times before that these packs are not what he and the team feels for, and therefore it is understandable that no one really wants to make them any more. But it is still such a large part of FTB in my opinion that abandoning it completely could be a mistake.

Last edited:

HeroGabe

Jul 29, 2019

Ore spawns,
Configure terrain generators to work with other terrain generators and other mods adding biomes/world features,
Disable features that might be considered too OP in conjunction with other mods,
Bug/stress testing

Seriously these are the reasons I play finished modpacks, not because of ID-conflicts. Almost any moron can fix ID-conflics with a little bit of research.

Some people might be satisfied with just downloading a bunch of mods and loading them up without doing any of the above or care if it wrecks their world halfway through due to a bug. I am not. And some people might be willing(and able) to spend enough time to fully develop a modpack of their own, going through all the above steps and more. I am not. I play modded MC to PLAY modded MC.

And tbh anyone who keeps saying that it is just a matter of "piling mods onto MC and run it" are doing the people who have previously been developing any modpack really a great injustice. After all if it was just a matter of "piling mod together" then why does it take so long to develop the packs and update them? And why are the changelogs of something like Monster filled with config changes etc.?

This would be great if the launcher could also do all the steps above when being forced to build a modpack almost from the bottom up. Just doubt it will ever be complex/intelligent enough to do so.

Personally think that FTB might benefit greatly from recruiting/hiring/whatever someone interested/with a passion for making these particular type of modpacks. Eyamaz have stated several times before that these packs are not what he and the team feels for, and therefore it is understandable that no one really wants to make them any more. But it is still such a large part of FTB in my opinion that abandoning it completely could be a mistake.

I know what you are talking about. A small modpack can be heavily unbalanced, so can a large one. The perfect balance requires more than just throwing mods together... it is trying to figure out how the mods would work. I know how hard it is to create one private modpack that is for personal use.[DOUBLEPOST=1407775181][/DOUBLEPOST]
The continuation of my previous post.
Both of you try to make a modpack. Minecraft can't take care of ID's by itself, I know that because I am making a private modpack for personal use, and will not be going to the public at all.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019

UItimate - FTB is probably not going to officially support a general pack that includes GT. This was done back in 1.5 with the Unleashed/Unhinged split and remains true in 1.6. Without getting into too much detail, GT went from mostly a big tech mod in 1.4.7 to (now) an experience overhaul. Don't blame FTB for changing, blame GT for changing.

With that said, there are some lovely GT 3rd-party packs in the launcher. I'm playing one now : InfiTech.

Unleashed - Pretty much the same thing as DW20. If DW20 is making a 1.7 pack, then FTB scarce resources are probably better spent elsewhere.

Monster - Less of a "pack" and more of a "lots of mods thrown together" collection. I get the impression it wasn't fun to support.

DW20 - I suspect this will be *the* general purpose pack for 1.7 . DW20 and his pack do such a great job bringing in new players, that I'm not sure FTB needs to make its own general-purpose pack to compete against DW20.

Personally, I like the direction FTB is going. I like themed packs. I like the very visible and active support for 3rd-party packs.

But, that's just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

AlwaysGoofingOff

Jul 29, 2019
UItimate - FTB is probably not going to officially support a general pack that includes GT. This was done back in 1.5 with the Unleashed/Unhinged split and remains true in 1.6. Without getting into too much detail, GT went from mostly a big tech mod in 1.4.7 to (now) an experience overhaul. Don't blame FTB for changing, blame GT for changing.

rhn's post was perfectly valid in my opinion and your (MigukNamja's) response was perfectly valid as well. Good points on both sides. I had rhn's same concerns but your response helped me understand the rationale of the FTB team.

If someone wanted to play on the "everything pack" I suppose they could take the modpack that is closest to what they want (probably DW20?) and add the rest. Sure, they'll have to deal with the issues rhn mentioned, but if the base modpack is comprehensive enough then the 1.7 ID resolution thing should help get to where they want to be easier than previous MC versions.

Looking forward to stable 1.7 packs!

Reactions: rhn

Zaes

Jul 29, 2019
I just don't understand why people are getting fired up about the modpacks using the Hardcore Questing mod as a way to lead new players through the mods. The 'disable a mod' feature was brought in so players can play without the mods that they do not want to play with, and now people are complaining about a mod that they do not want to play with. JUST USE THE DISABLE FUNCTION!

It pains me to see that a lot of people are forgetting the fact that this is a FREE service that our lovely moderators and organisers in the FTB teams are doing FOR FREE. Don't complain about getting a free service that isn't 100% tailored to your ideals.

I like the idea of themed modpacks. If there is a modpack that is similar to what you want, but is missing a few mods, just add them. With only a few additions, managing new potentially-overpowered features, configuring recipes, editing config files, etc. will only take a small amount of your time (you are already setting the time aside for playing games anyway, doing the configuration stuff is more productive). Hell, you might even learn a thing or two about modding, which you can either take on for yourself or use that knowledge in helping others in the community :)

Thanks again to the FTB team for creating these awesome modpacks! I'm pretty darn excited!

Chesdragon

Jul 29, 2019

if you are that sad about it, its easy to make a modpack like that, if you want to find out how:
1. look it up, consult the almighty Google!
2. Ask someone to help
3. stop complaining and wait for the next modpacks to show up, you might actually like them (Oh no! liking things? Noo way)

Chesdragon

Jul 29, 2019

Ore spawns,
Bug/stress testing

I've created a few Modpacks with a good mix of different mods and you are right it does take work, like anything else does... but i feel like you are stressing the difficulty a little too much. As long as you have the right tools and knowledge to create the modpacks, creating the modpack won't be extremely difficult, to create jumble packs. The modpacks that i would actually agree with you are modpacks Like blood-and-bones, or Agrarian Skies or packs that have been heavily tweaked.
And 'most likely' if the ftb pack team wanted to they could have their WIP packs out already, but they would be packs that are laggy, crashy or just packs that anyone could do. But they want to create good packs that actually have mods that coincide well together and not jumble packs that anyone could do in a few days..

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I've created a few Modpacks with a good mix of different mods and you are right it does take work, like anything else does... but i feel like you are stressing the difficulty a little too much. As long as you have the right tools and knowledge to create the modpacks, creating the modpack won't be extremely difficult, to create jumble packs. The modpacks that i would actually agree with you are modpacks Like blood-and-bones, or Agrarian Skies or packs that have been heavily tweaked.
And 'most likely' if the ftb pack team wanted to they could have their WIP packs out already, but they would be packs that are laggy, crashy or just packs that anyone could do. But they want to create good packs that actually have mods that coincide well together and not jumble packs that anyone could do in a few days..

More to the point, they probably want to work in relative peace for at least a little while, and prefer not to work in an environment where self-entitled so-and-sos feel it's their God-given Democratic right to nitpick the minute details and raise the noise floor of the forums to the point where it is nigh impossible to glean any useful information from them.

To paraphrase an old saying: "It's easier to present a completed project and move on than to release a half-finished beta to an accompanying fanfare of B.S." :D

Status
Not open for further replies.