[1.7.10] Cacophony Inc. - Find your Voice (HQM, ~300 quests, >700 Reward Bags)

Zungaba

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone else hitting a wall trying to progress in mining? I get that I need to make steel dust to get to redstone level mining, but so far as I can tell the only way I can see to do that is with manganese, which requires redstone level mining to mine. Am I missing something? Or are we supposed to use a pulverizer and hope for the 10% manganese payoff?

AirBreather

Jul 29, 2019
1.1.1 is coming soon. One of the changes is that we're replacing Archimedes Ships with Archimedes Ships Plus. If you don't use the ships from Archimedes Ships, you can ignore the rest of this message; otherwise, read on.

Before updating to 1.1.1, please make sure you disassemble your ships ("." key from the 1.1.0 keybindings) so that they revert back to blocks in the world. Otherwise, your ship will be deleted during the update to 1.1.1.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
Anyone else hitting a wall trying to progress in mining? I get that I need to make steel dust to get to redstone level mining, but so far as I can tell the only way I can see to do that is with manganese, which requires redstone level mining to mine. Am I missing something? Or are we supposed to use a pulverizer and hope for the 10% manganese payoff?
I believe you are mistake or forgot that IT is in this one which means that you need to level up the mining level. I believe if you make a Iron pick and level the mining level up or mod with a mob heads that ups mining level it will give you redstone level pick. If that is to much you can make a bronze Tico pick. It is Tin level off the bat and will allow redstone mining. As to your question about steel if you do the Crusher quest and make some invar you can make steel in a induction smelter with Iron + 2 coal dust or 4 Charcoal dust and it will give you steel.

Nettehlol

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, what I do in Iguana Tweak packs is:
You ALWAYS repair and upgrade your pickaxe when it hits next level. That is, if your pickaxe is "Tin" level mining and it hits level up and is now "Iron" level mining, search in NEI "Mining level: Iron", make a pickaxe head from whatever material you want and put it in the main pickaxe, this way you will have 94% experience already done, mine a bit and it will hit next level,search for "Mining level: (current pickaxes mining level)", get the needed materials > make pickaxe head > repair and replace the head, now we again have 94 or 96% done.

Last edited:

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
Ok, what I do in Iguana Tweak packs is:
You ALWAYS repair and upgrade your pickaxe when it hits next level. That is, if your pickaxe is "Tin" level mining and it hits level up and is now "Iron" level mining, search in NEI "Mining level: Iron", make a pickaxe head from whatever material you want and put it in the main pickaxe, this way you will have 94% experience already done, mine a bit and it will hit next level,search for "Mining level: (current pickaxes mining level)", get the needed materials > make pickaxe head > repair and replace the head, now we again have 94 or 96% done.
As a side note to what he posted here unless he disabled it there is always a chance you will get the diamond mod from leveling the pick if your lucky...:).

SlyJacob

Jul 29, 2019
As a side note to what he posted here unless he disabled it there is always a chance you will get the diamond mod from leveling the pick if your lucky...:).
I didn't change the config and when I got the diamond upgrade from leveling up, it only gave me the durability boost, not mining level boost.

But what was said before, say you make pickaxe from Iron pickaxe head. You level it up to Tin mining level. That makes it possible to mine both tin and copper, which you use to make bronze in smeltery (3 copper + 1 tin ingot = 4 bronze ingots). You use that bronze to make Bronze pickaxe head, then you take your Iron pickaxe and repair it to full durability (in order to replace parts, you have to do this), and then you add both the pickaxe and the Bronze pickaxe head to the tool station/forge and it replaces the pickaxe head. Now you level up the pickaxe once and woala - mining level Redstone =p

Last edited:

Aivor

Jul 29, 2019
I'd suggest - remove Tinker Construct mod.
Really, this mod make all tools from another mods - complitely useless. So there is almost no point in progression.

Nettehlol

Jul 29, 2019
I would say disable Signalum and Enderium in TC. These two should not exist in their current state.

Last edited:

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
I didn't change the config and when I got the diamond upgrade from leveling up, it only gave me the durability boost, not mining level boost.

But what was said before, say you make pickaxe from Iron pickaxe head. You level it up to Tin mining level. That makes it possible to mine both tin and copper, which you use to make bronze in smeltery (3 copper + 1 tin ingot = 4 bronze ingots). You use that bronze to make Bronze pickaxe head, then you take your Iron pickaxe and repair it to full durability (in order to replace parts, you have to do this), and then you add both the pickaxe and the Bronze pickaxe head to the tool station/forge and it replaces the pickaxe head. Now you level up the pickaxe once and woala - mining level Redstone =p
I was refering to the pack dev and whether or not they changed the config which some do in these type of packs. Tin = redstone. I already place a redstone ore in the world to make sure the mining level. Waila says it is Tin level. Tin and copper are two different mining levels in IT. As to the leveling diamond mod i didn't know they changed to not up the mining level sorry.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
So, is it intended for visceral heap (a nether biome) to gen in the overworld? or possibly some mixup in the configs for biome ID's and biomes o plenty?

cause I gots a bunch of very confused and frightened zombie pigmen wandering around near a savanah, who met up with some of those little dudes from mowzies mobs (which are quite cool btw) and they started a little war. was funny to watch from a distance.

Zungaba

Jul 29, 2019
I mined a good long while with an iron pickaxe, never got to redstone level even after a few hours, so I did eventually just pulverize until I was able to make steel.

Btw I love the egg quest. No spoilers but man that's some hardcore Minecraft.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
I mined a good long while with an iron pickaxe, never got to redstone level even after a few hours, so I did eventually just pulverize until I was able to make steel.

Again it will never get to redstone level cause redstone is Tin level ore. I just made a Iron pick and level it's mining level up to 100% and it went to tin level. I then placed down redstone ore and it mined it right up. Remember there are 2 Level up XP totals. If you upgraded an old pick with a Iron pick head you could have leveled up the Mods xp instead of the Mining XP. when it levels up open your inven and scroll over it and hold down shift. If it still says Iron level then the mining level isn't upgraded yet. Xp needed for a iron pick fresh made is 350 xp.

Gq1rf7

Jul 29, 2019
I think the quests aren't very good. They aren't very linear and there are too few of the available. I have ME system set up, a reactor, and got to cobalt tools, yet, I still had to search for cactus, barley, pink flowers to progress. Why do I need those anyway? I have 31 quests completed, and only 2 more are available. One of them is to get poisoned potato (again, why do I need it?!), the other is to kill a snow golem guard. But what the hell is a snow golem guard? I've never seen any, and the quest description doesn't say anything about it, just random stuff. Its rewards are also completely junk for me, I have no idea what those are.

SlyJacob

Jul 29, 2019
I think the quests aren't very good. They aren't very linear and there are too few of the available. I have ME system set up, a reactor, and got to cobalt tools, yet, I still had to search for cactus, barley, pink flowers to progress. Why do I need those anyway? I have 31 quests completed, and only 2 more are available. One of them is to get poisoned potato (again, why do I need it?!), the other is to kill a snow golem guard. But what the hell is a snow golem guard? I've never seen any, and the quest description doesn't say anything about it, just random stuff. Its rewards are also completely junk for me, I have no idea what those are.
I am not sure what exactly do you mean by 'linear', but I like it this way, since it's open world type of pack, not limited by pre-made map.
And the snow guard is just 2 snow blocks on top of each other and then on the very top pumpkin. I guess that's a normal snowman, from vanilla, right? I haven't played vanilla since 1.6.4 or something.

AirBreather

Jul 29, 2019
Whoa, I missed all the recent replies. Sorry for not staying on top of this. In other news, 1.1.1 is out there now, and I'll have skidznet update the first post with the changelog after I finish with this post.

I would say disable Signalum and Enderium in TC. These two should not exist in their current state.
I'll add a thing to the backlog to look into tweaking the stats on these two, and to perhaps disable them entirely if we can't find a niche for them.

I was refering to the pack dev and whether or not they changed the config which some do in these type of packs. Tin = redstone. I already place a redstone ore in the world to make sure the mining level. Waila says it is Tin level. Tin and copper are two different mining levels in IT. As to the leveling diamond mod i didn't know they changed to not up the mining level sorry.
We didn't explicitly change configs like this from their defaults. I believe it's Iguana Tinker Tweaks that changed Diamond to a flat +500 durability bonus, because it takes control of the mining level boosts.

So, is it intended for visceral heap (a nether biome) to gen in the overworld? or possibly some mixup in the configs for biome ID's and biomes o plenty?

cause I gots a bunch of very confused and frightened zombie pigmen wandering around near a savanah, who met up with some of those little dudes from mowzies mobs (which are quite cool btw) and they started a little war. was funny to watch from a distance.
Not intentional. Looking at the BOP configs, though, I think I worked out why that would happen. I'll get it fixed for the next update.

Each tool can only level up once from its base material. So if you have a pickaxe with a Flint Pickaxe Head, it can only mine Stone at first, but eventually it will level up to be able to mine Copper (you can apply a mob head modifier to it to speed up the process; there's an early quest that tells you how). But that's it -- a Flint Pickaxe Head will never mine anything above Copper no matter how much you mine with it. So the way to do it is you mine some copper with the boosted pickaxe and then make yourself a Copper Pickaxe Head to upgrade the pickaxe (after repairing it to full, of course). You won't get an increase in mining level right away -- you have to mine a few to get the next boost to Iron. Once that happens, again, you're capped for that pickaxe. Copper Pickaxe Head will never mine anything above Iron. So use the iron to make an Iron Pickaxe Head and mine until it boosts to Tin level.

Usually by this point, I've broken the game because of a super lucky reward bag that either skidznet or I opened, or a trick skidznet pointed out that I think is insanely unfair (the cat's out of the bag on her "bread gives you food for days" trick in this thread, which is especially useful with how common the Hay Man ruin is, but this trick involves one of the lesser known mods). But you can theoretically keep going until you get to the top.

As for the egg quest, thanks, I'll mention this to skidznet... assuming this is the one I'm thinking of, it's the one she's the most proud of.

Again it will never get to redstone level cause redstone is Tin level ore. I just made a Iron pick and level it's mining level up to 100% and it went to tin level. I then placed down redstone ore and it mined it right up. Remember there are 2 Level up XP totals. If you upgraded an old pick with a Iron pick head you could have leveled up the Mods xp instead of the Mining XP. when it levels up open your inven and scroll over it and hold down shift. If it still says Iron level then the mining level isn't upgraded yet. Xp needed for a iron pick fresh made is 350 xp.
Yeah, you're looking for "Mining XP: Boosted" when you hold Shift while hovering over a pickaxe. If it says that, there are no more boosts in your future until you replace the head.

I totally understand how easy it is to go off the beaten path of the quest book and just do your own thing. The original intent was to have the quest book be the main driving force for what you do, but since this pack doesn't have a pre-built map (I guess most HQM packs do?), it turned into something slightly different, and the narrative actually kind of supports it (or at least my headcanon does)... spoilers...:
Voice of Arrogance is actually really incompetent. Even before your "food budget" runs out, he quickly demonstrates that he has no flipping clue what the heck "food" is. At least Tasty Clay and Cooked "Meat" Nuggets are edible, kinda, but then he gives you Smashing Rocks and an option for Untasty Clay (which is just regular Clay), and a Berry Garden that's at best "lots of food... later" and at worst "a little food now". So it quickly becomes obvious that maybe you're better off on your own... though maybe if you just play along, you can get some Reward Bags which these guys seem to be just giving away...

That's just my feeling, though. skidznet is the brains behind all the big ideas in the quest book, I just helped with some of the writing (Voice of Avarice's quest line was the only place where I think I can take more than 50% credit) and acted as the "problem solver" whenever we would run into problems that needed solving (not linked: many more internal problems, and also showstopping problems in closed-source mods that couldn't be resolved and ultimately led to us dropping the mods). I guess the beginning is kinda linear (but even then, there's a little branching so that it's easier for a couple of players to work together to accomplish), but it branches out more as you go on. Somehow, skidznet managed to actually create enough quests that it's insane to expect to complete the whole book in one go (though we've got a buddy on our server who's aiming for just that).

To your specific blockers, though:
  1. Because of how the world gen can screw you over, "Un-BOWL-ievable" has a pick-one reward of a Cactus in case you aren't anywhere near a spot that can generate. The first quest on Voice of Passion's line ("I Fought the LAWN...") also lets you pick Cactus Seeds as a reward, in case you missed out.
  2. Snow Golem Guard is, as SlyJacob guessed, a pumpkin on top of 2 snow blocks. We should definitely make this more clear in the description, especially since we tacked on "Guard" to the end for flavor. Sorry about the confusion. Note that you get a reward from the preceding quest that can help make snow, in case there's none around where you are.
  3. Poisoned Potato is a daily quest that has no impact on progression. It's there so that you have a reason not to throw these away.
  4. If you don't have Barley from another source, Barley Seeds (and Rye Seeds) are products of crop mutation. The quest description for that one should tell you how to do this in general, and if you mouse over the seeds and hit "R", you should see the two crops you need to mutate. For Barley, it's Seeds + Sugarcane Seeds, both of which you got as a reward from the previous quest in Voice of Passion's quest line.
  5. In case you can't find Pink Flowers (I never do either), Pink = Red + White. Red = Poppy into the crafting grid by itself. White = Bone Meal or White Anemone into the crafting grid by itself.
And the rewards from "Hiring Security Guards" are from the Totem Defender mod, which gives you a totem you can place down to defend your place. The pick-one rewards for it are so you can pick what you want to have it fire at (you can craft more later, of course).

Last edited:

bremmon

Jul 29, 2019
Agricraft - Wheat - I tried 10 times to get the wheat to advance from 1/1/1 and it wouldn't. I tried the same with Coffee seed, still 1/1/1 after 10 tries. Is the configuration changed to disable advancement of crops or is there a configuration to reduce the chance of advancement? Never have I experienced this problem in any other modpack. If it is an intentional change that is fine, it just means agricraft isn't really worth getting into and I will focus elsewhere.

AirBreather

Jul 29, 2019
Agricraft - Wheat - I tried 10 times to get the wheat to advance from 1/1/1 and it wouldn't. I tried the same with Coffee seed, still 1/1/1 after 10 tries. Is the configuration changed to disable advancement of crops or is there a configuration to reduce the chance of advancement? Never have I experienced this problem in any other modpack. If it is an intentional change that is fine, it just means agricraft isn't really worth getting into and I will focus elsewhere.

We haven't changed the config for this one. Normally we use a 5x5 field where we start in a corner and sweep through diagonally having each round feed into the next, until we get to the end and then break everything, analyze everything, and start over with the best. 2 full fields of this usually gets us something close to an 8/8/8 or better, and half the rest of the field usually gets us the rest of the way.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
The Diamond change Was in reference to the IT mod dev not thePack dev. I haven't played with IT in a while or i just grab a Pul and get shiny dust for a pick.

Nettehlol

Jul 29, 2019
What do you mean? 10/10/10 works. I spent a whole day to make everything I could find 10/10/10.