[1.7.10] Cacophony Inc. - Find your Voice (HQM, ~300 quests, >700 Reward Bags)

S

skidznet

FTB Pack Code: cacophonyinc
Plug that pack code into the FTB launcher and click Launch. It's as simple as that! If this is new to you, see this album for more details: https://imgur.com/a/RfgxT.
R2iNaRS.png
Announcement
skidznet and airbreather (a.k.a. AiryBreath on MCF and in-game) are proud to announce the initial public release of our new 1.7.10 modpack: Cacophony, Inc. Some stats: HQM, about 300 story-driven (but technically optional) quests, >700 unique reward bags, >75 custom-built ruins, >75 mods, no fixed seed (each map is procedurally generated). The gameplay experience rewards the player for exploring the randomly-generated world. It’s balanced for a small number of players (about 2 or so; solo play is possible, just maybe a little overwhelming).

The story so far: you’re the new intern for a strange company called “Cacophony Inc.” All of the other employees of the company are disembodied voices that can only interact with your world through your quest book. You were hired as part of the company’s new “diversity” initiative. Your boss is the CEO, a long-winded fellow known as Voice of Arrogance. You’re not quite sure what your job is supposed to be… and neither is he. All you know is that they promised to feed you if you “contribute to the bottom line”. This world is pretty harsh, so you think it might be worth it to just play along…

As of this initial release, there are 293 quests in the quest book, starting from “Part 1: Punch Trees” and covering a broad range of various mods. There are initially 7 quest sets, 6 of which have 4 daily quests each that unlock as you complete various milestones within the quest sets.

As you progress through the quests, it won’t be long before you meet the other major employees who work for the company: each with a quirky personality of their own.

Bug Reports / Enhancement Requests
Please direct all issue reports and enhancement requests here: https://github.com/airbreather/cacophony-inc/issues.

Modlist
No modpack announcement is complete without a full list of mods included. We want to thank each and every one of the authors of the included mods. Without the amazing amount of effort you guys put into developing your creations, this would be a REALLY short post. Yeah, OK, many (most?) of you guys require that we give credit like this in order to be able to legally use your mods, but still, you guys are the superstars. We tried to list all the authors including original authors if there’s a hand-off that happened, but we may have missed some original authors (especially if there were multiple hand-offs involved). Let us know if someone deserves credit who isn’t credited here. Framework / API / helper mods (based on airbreather’s quick glance at the JAR files) are listed at the bottom arbitrarily; otherwise, mods are all listed alphabetically by JAR file name.

Special thanks to LightArchon for his work on the logo.

Changelog
  • 1.0.2: Initial FTB release
  • 1.0.3: Fixed some bugs and removed an early food exploit from rewards.
  • 1.1.0: Lots of changes.
    • Added "Cacophony Janitor", a one-off that doesn't really do anything by itself but lets us make bigger changes without breaking things. If he's doing his job right, you'll hardly notice he's there at all.
    • Added JABBA and Cooking for Blockheads to address some gaps (and replaced a couple of shaky quest rewards with a barrel and a fridge). You also get a cookbook at the start now.
    • Added Better Rain, which stops regular ol' rainfall from getting all self-important, thinking it's Hurricane Steve or something.
    • Barakoa now spawn in SMP. We also turned the spawn rate down from what the old default was to what the new default is.
    • Replaced the Gravel reward from an early quest (the first quest, was it?) with 2 pre-punched Flint.
    • Changed the default keybinds. There are way fewer clashes now (sorry if this overwrites your settings). If you're looking for the minimap waypoint button, it's "M" by default now. Others can be found in "Controls".
    • Finally, disabled Lily Lurkers from spawning. They get out of control during Blood Moons, they much on CPU cycles, and they don't add enough to the world to earn their keep. If you don't know what mob we're talking about, then we deeply apologize for depriving you of the experience of discovering them, but it had to be done.
  • 1.1.1: Mostly mod updates.
    • Replaced Archimedes Ships with Archimedes Ships Plus.
    • Updated NEI Integration (this fixed an issue with Forestry recipes not showing up in NEI).
    • Also updated: AppleCore, Biomes O' Plenty, Not Enough Items, Headcrumbs, MineFactory Reloaded, OpenBlocks / OpenModsLib, Roguelike Dungeons, Ruins, Spice of Life, Thaumcraft Inventory Scanning, CoFHCore, Thermal Expansion, Thermal Foundation, Tinkers' Mechworks, Totem Defender, and Waila Harvestability.
    • Added Aquatic Abyss, a mod that makes ocean biomes more interesting.
    • Added AutoPackager, a mod that adds a machine which automatically condenses items that have a 2x2 or 3x3 crafting recipe.
    • Removed Better Rain... it caused more problems than it solved, we feel (minimally, the water particles from using a Watering Can stopped showing up). We suggest just finding a resource pack that deals with the loudness of rain and thunder.
    • Lowered the requirements for one of the quests in Voice of Passion's line (the one that requires a Centrifuge).

Last edited:

Nettehlol

Jul 29, 2019
Remove 1/2 or all 5 of Gravel and replace it with Flint in the early quest. Makes no sense making players to punch it;
I'd suggest adding "Cooking for BlockHeads", literally the best mod you can have if the pack has HO or SoL. (Imo that's just a torture to use HO + Spice of Life together in a non-survival themed pack, SoL alone is usually fine.)

As to bugs - TConstruct hammer heads have wrong mining level values, f.i. Bronze shows as "redstone", but creating a full hammer with Bronze Hammer Head ends up as "Tin" level.

p.s. Anyone who goes scavenging for some loot.. please make sure to equip some decent armour, many mobs, especially Pygmy dudes will hunt your arse down pretty quick.

Last edited:
Reactions: AirBreather
S

stoicazoic

I'd suggest some kind of storage mod. JABBA or Compact Storage. Even Iron Chests. Unless I missed something you are stuck with vanilla chests until you get AE up and running...

S

skidznet

Thanks for the feedback! It's great to get a different perspective on some of the ideas here.

Remove 1/2 or all 5 of Gravel and replace it with Flint in the early quest. Makes no sense making players to punch it;
That would work. It's kind of annoying how long it can take to get Flint sometimes if you're unlucky.

I'd suggest adding "Cooking for BlockHeads", literally the best mod you can have if the pack has HO or SoL. (Imo that's just a torture to use HO + Spice of Life together in a non-survival themed pack, SoL alone is usually fine.)
We hadn't heard about this one. That mod looks amazing! We'll definitely look into adding it.

As to bugs - TConstruct hammer heads have wrong mining level values, f.i. Bronze shows as "redstone", but creating a full hammer with Bronze Hammer Head ends up as "Tin" level.
We'll look into this. It's on our bug tracker now.

p.s. Anyone who goes scavenging for some loot.. please make sure to equip some decent armour, many mobs, especially Pygmy dudes will hunt your arse down pretty quick.
There's a bug right now where the Barakoa won't spawn on servers, so we haven't seen a lot of them. We'll look at turning down the spawn rate on these buggers after some more testing on SSP.

I'd suggest some kind of storage mod. JABBA or Compact Storage. Even Iron Chests. Unless I missed something you are stuck with vanilla chests until you get AE up and running...
Never really thought about it before, but yeah, this can be annoying. There are compartments you can use, which are better than vanilla chests, but there's still a pretty big gap between early and late game storage. We'll try to get JABBA or something like it into the list soon.

lok0143

Jul 29, 2019
Like the modpack so far. One issue I came up against is that the fruit trees I planted aren't growing. I had to use bonemeal to get the trees to grow after about 6 minecraft days. Now the fruits on them won't grow. Not sure if this was disabled or is something else is affecting it. Making the food situation a bit annoying.

Nettehlol

Jul 29, 2019
Like the modpack so far. One issue I came up against is that the fruit trees I planted aren't growing. I had to use bonemeal to get the trees to grow after about 6 minecraft days. Now the fruits on them won't grow. Not sure if this was disabled or is something else is affecting it. Making the food situation a bit annoying.
I would ignore fruit trees.

I can suggest using Bread, Toast and 2x Toast food, which makes you already 3 different food types. Then you go for Beef Wellington (SUPER easy to make), and you can use tofu in other recipes that give good food saturation.

S

stoicazoic

If you hover your mouse over the sapling it should tell you what biome it grows best in, that might be the problem.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
It is a bit laggy at times might try fastcraft if you can put it in compat wise.

AirBreather

Jul 29, 2019
It is a bit laggy at times might try fastcraft if you can put it in compat wise.
I'm a bit concerned about adding it in by default, since there's quite a few mods in here that aren't that commonly used. Feel free to try it out on your own and let us know if you run into problems.

As a side note about performance, we've had great success eliminating performance issues by having a separate server and client setup, even on the same machine (though we have high-end machines with enough system RAM for this not to be insane).

What is the mod that is making stack size smaller?
Can you be more specific, please? What's something that has a smaller stack size than what you expected?

AirBreather

Jul 29, 2019
1.1.0 is now available on the launcher. See the top post for the changes.

A few special notes for those upgrading from an earlier version:
  1. You'll see a warning about the Dart block being removed from Mowzie's Mobs. This is safe to ignore, and you can continue past it.
  2. The book "Cooking for Blockheads I" is now added to all players' starting inventories... we don't consider it cheating to give yourself one if you missed it because you're upgrading.
  3. We endorse liberal use of the "/cofh killall primitivemobs.LilyLurker" command to clean up the riff-raff. (or was it a colon instead of a dot? it's been a while...)
  4. Certain quest rewards have been changed to item tokens from Cacophony Janitor. You'll have to right-click them when they're in your inventory to claim them. Sorry about the inconvenience, but it was the easiest way I could think of to make it so we can update mods without breaking rewards from either new worlds, old worlds, or both that get claimed in the future after a version upgrade.
Server admins, the changes on the server side:
  1. config/quests.hqm (lots of things; you probably shouldn't be messing with this)
  2. config/mowziesmobs.cfg (tuned Barakoa spawn rate and removed a now-unused entry)
  3. config/primitivemobs/spawn_rates.cfg (zeroed out the Lily Lurker spawn rate)
  4. config/startinginventory.txt (added "Cooking for Blockheads I" to the starting inventory)
  5. mods/{config,hats,resources} (deleted... I don't know what happened to get these here before, but it was definitely my fault)
  6. mods/Jabba-1.2.1a_1.7.10.jar (new mod)
  7. mods/cookingbook-mc1.7.10-1.0.134.jar (new mod)
  8. mods/LLibrary-0.3.4-1.7.10.jar --> mods/llibrary-0.6.2-1.7.10.jar (version upgrade)
  9. mods/123.Mowzie's Mobs-1.2.5.jar --> mods/Mowzie's Mobs-1.2.6.jar (version upgrade)

S

skidznet

Is Carpenter (Forestry) and Beealyzer disabled from crafting? If yes - why?
They are craftable. for some reason some of the Forestry-related the recipes aren't showing up on NEI. I have added the problem to the bug tracker.