[1.7.10]Atonement: Sins of the Past Hardcore Survival Thaumcraft Focused

Mr_Hosed

Jul 29, 2019
The premise and the mod list makes this an immediate must try. I've been looking for something like this for a while now. OK, Hearthstone, your soul-sucking-must-play-one-more-game draw is being challenged!

Forger101

Jul 29, 2019
Massively enjoying this modpack. I've managed to survive up to the point of making a permanent base in the nether. Mob spawners seem to be the way to go with this modpack. The loot from thaumcraft champions can give you lots of gold, diamonds, and enderpearls if you can grind lots of them (and I mean lots). And the diamond dolly is craftable as of the version I'm playing. Any plans to disable the dolly?

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Tips for making this a server?
You'll need to pull the client only mods, Inventory Tweaks for one and, hmm, not sure about the others. The WAILA Plug ins and maybe WAILA itself, certainly. Unfortunately I am not the greatest at building server versions. I'll need to find a maintainer for this, I think.

In other news, I am moving Atonement from alpha status to beta after one final alpha update. This means Atonement will be feature and content complete, just needing balance and bug fixes as well as anything I may have missed. There WILL NOT be a map reset needed, however you WILL have to delelete the SimpleAchievements directory out of your save file to allow the new version to update. Luckily, restoring lost progress is easy for that mod, eh? It certainly isn't HQM, but it does have advantages.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Massively enjoying this modpack. I've managed to survive up to the point of making a permanent base in the nether. Mob spawners seem to be the way to go with this modpack. The loot from thaumcraft champions can give you lots of gold, diamonds, and enderpearls if you can grind lots of them (and I mean lots). And the diamond dolly is craftable as of the version I'm playing. Any plans to disable the dolly?

Not really. Monster spawners won't unbalance anything and I pity the poor fool who tries setting up a zombie spawner without taking extensive precautions.

Reactions: larae1929

larae1929

Jul 29, 2019
extensive precautions doesn't give it justice altho I have managed to safely put a zombie spawner in my base and can farm mobs now. interesting things tho to note- one of them placed a pressure plate with a tnt cart under it... and the villagers I made from them have beds and sleep at nite- this pack is awesome iskandar! really enjoying it :)

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Massively updated the end game goals, Added missing recipes for the last bits of things. Need Shane to update the book and me to get one TC recipe done and then I will releas a final alpha. If that passes, I will move to beta, which means bugs and balance tweaks only.

feralferret

Jul 29, 2019
So far this pack is insanely fun. It's like a magical version of blood n bones in terms of the brutal difficulty. Great job!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get an egg or a chicken? I'm a little bottlenecked right now without eggs, and I'm too afraid to leave my little pocket of safety.. Lol.

Mr_Hosed

Jul 29, 2019
Well my first run through didn't last very long. Not even a day. After hunting around for some basic supplies I decided to dig a hole for my initial base. Mined right into a silverfish vein. I forgot DeadlyWorld adds those.

Needless to say, I instant disabled that feature. Silverfish are the most un-fun thing vanilla ever added. Making then spawn in veins... It's like the "Hardcore Wood" feature of BetterThanWolves. Not fun at all. But that's just a personal opinion and easy enough to disable thankfully (unlike "Hardcore Wood").

Other then that, loving this so far. It's brutal, but with a purpose and progression just like Crash Landing. Well done Iskandar!

Now to survive long enough to figure out how to gain more lives.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
So far this pack is insanely fun. It's like a magical version of blood n bones in terms of the brutal difficulty. Great job!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get an egg or a chicken? I'm a little bottlenecked right now without eggs, and I'm too afraid to leave my little pocket of safety.. Lol.
You're going to need to capture a tainted chicken via wand focus containment. Then scrub the taint off of it with the correct research.

Either that or get lucky in finding a pure node and camp in the magical forest it generates and hope a chicken spawns.

Forger101

Jul 29, 2019
If you are far enough into botania you can make some pasture seeds and make a spawning area for passive mobs underneath your base as long its underneath your ethereal bloom. It will be much easier than going through the thaumcraft route.

On a related note, the only way to progress into infusions is by trading with a pech to get some silverwood as jarred essentia requires at least a single plank of silverwood. This is for the vis filter recipe which is used to make the alembics.

Thronwen

Jul 29, 2019
So far I'm enjoying this pack. Already on World 5 though with the last death me accidently hitting a pigmen in the nether with my wand and my clockwork armor running out of charge at the same moment. The mobs fucking hurt without the damage resistance.
As for surviving the first nights, try to gather some dirt, at least 1 seed, 1 sappling and 1 Greatwood sappling aswell as a couple floral fertilizers. Then just look for a lake. There are plenty, just find one that has around 3 chunks in diameter and set up a base in the center. Don't forget to clean the crusted taint directly at your base which is not beneath the water surface to avoid spawning of swarms and you are set.
Get a cobblestone house or dig down and set up underground and you should be fine. (Stone and dirt aren't affected by the tornados as far as i noticed)
your Bloom should be a couple blocks underneath the surface or it wont survive the tornadoes until you have a weather deflector.

Currently i just set up a skeleton spawner with a couple flowers. No lootbags though. :(
Additionally i also have a spawner that swithces betweens spider, skeletons and zombies, but the zombies wrecked my farm. I may try it with the warded stone, but need to think of a setup first.
The hardest thing to come by seem to be enderpearls until now.

Oh, and it is by far not as hard as BnB, in my opinion. ;)

Last edited:

feralferret

Jul 29, 2019
I actually find blood n bones to be easier, if only because there's no taint everywhere. I also played it to death and have a relatively easy time surviving it at this point. :D I'm sure 2.0 will destroy me though!

In other news, I lucked out and had a flock of chickens spawn on my patch of magical forest. My next goal is to get a pech to progress through thaumcraft. I'm in the process of tunneling over to a different patch of untainted forest.

How are you guys surviving trips across the tainted lands? I find I get overwhelmed by taint swarms quickly, and my mana steel armor is insufficient protection. :/

Forger101

Jul 29, 2019
How are you guys surviving trips across the tainted lands? I find I get overwhelmed by taint swarms quickly, and my mana steel armor is insufficient protection. :/
The tainted dreamcatcher thing from thaumic exploration helps a little bit. My best advice is get a good enchanting setup, that's helped me a ton in tanking and dealing damage. Taint swarms also have 3 high hitboxes, and I think they are wider than one block so digging into the ground will help you recover.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
If you are far enough into botania you can make some pasture seeds and make a spawning area for passive mobs underneath your base as long its underneath your ethereal bloom. It will be much easier than going through the thaumcraft route.

On a related note, the only way to progress into infusions is by trading with a pech to get some silverwood as jarred essentia requires at least a single plank of silverwood. This is for the vis filter recipe which is used to make the alembics.

Ah, that won't work. The Ethereal Blooms turn the biome into plains...and I've removed animals from spawning in plains.

karmarcharger

Jul 29, 2019
*Shakes angry fist at iskandar*
Well I guess its time to go track down a pech :(
Just find a Thaumcraft pure node, Tower to layer 200, Make a bunch of grass platform there, profit. ( Not sure if tainted animals affects the spawn rates, if it doesnt probably dont need to go so high)

Thronwen

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, that won't work. The Ethereal Blooms turn the biome into plains...and I've removed animals from spawning in plains.

Well, I guess that explains why I don't got any non-tainted animals yet :p

As far as surviving in Tainted lands:
Just get a clockwork armor with 435/440 speed per piece (equals to 24% damage resistance per piece, which is the maximum)
and get mainsprings with around 200k winding durability.
If you have enough temporal ingots you can also progress further, get a pocket watch with the Life walk upgrade. This equals to 20 additional life
You need a filled time well for that in order to work. Just put an earth fork extractor beside your treefarm and you are set. 1 Earth catalyst are like 2 days of sand or so and with the axe you can get additional ingots from the logs, if you have the time well.
Add a wispy dreamcatcher into that and you are good to go. Just remember to wind up your gear before you adventure or when you are at a safe spot. ;)
The Clockwork sword needs like 2 hits with full brass gear for swarms.

This cost a lot of metal though, so make sure to double your ores. :p

Before that either iron or manasteel... But i usually don't bother exploring before that point.