[1.7.10]Atonement: Sins of the Past Hardcore Survival Thaumcraft Focused

FallenS0ul

Jul 29, 2019
So I had a great start, found a good little peninsula that I purified and had an underground base going. The top was lit up, walled it off so mobs couldn't wander on, and was doing really good. Then there was a shambling husk banking on my gate, before I could get to him he broke the gate, but whatever, no big deal. I killed him easily enough, but this time an armored crab appeared. I thought I was doing ok fighting it (but I couldn't get a look at it long enough to see how much health it actually had), then it jumped and landed on my head. I couldn't figure out how to get it off of me (not that I had much time), so game over... Any tips on how to deal with them or get them off my head?

Pro tip hide underground and never go to the surface. At night at least

Lachim Heigrim

Jul 29, 2019
The EssentialCraft3 book says the elemental drops can be used as Thaumcraft shards. Did anyone manage to use them that way? I tried to craft Arcane Stone on Thaumcraft's Arcane Workstable using water drops yesterday; the recipe accepts any TC shard as ingredient but the recipe did not activate. I crafted the water droplet by throwing clay on ice block as depicted in the book just to be clear.

After that I managed to craft the Arcane Stone using Fire Shard without any problems.

I'm running 1.3 from Curse, single player.

DigitalWino

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I had the same issue a while back. Thaumcraft shards are much less common, so I tried using the elemental drops, but to no avail.

Desman

Sep 23, 2014
Pro tip hide underground and never go to the surface. At night at least

Actually going underground too fast is not the best option right now.

My best early tactic is to go up. I spend a few days looking for string, climbing greatwood trees and chopping them during the nights. String comes from cobwebs from trees, and from the chests under said trees. There are even some healing items occasionally, so I stay mobile and raid the tree chests and the "noise dungeons" until I'm ready to settle.

DigitalWino

Jul 29, 2019
Do monsters spawn in the plains biome? I thought I remembered that they don't spawn in the tainted lands, so I turned the area where I want my mob room to be into plains, but they still don't seem to be spawning.

Edit: Nevermind, apparently I was just too close/impatient >.<

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
I fixed that Tainted Lands but good. Still, using a plains for your spawn room is probably a good idea anyway. A lot less of the, uh, unusual monsters require tainted land.

Lachim Heigrim

Jul 29, 2019
OK, my first 1.3 world is over. I ended up being blown up by a charged creeper. I was post-nether, just built the curative vat ... went to kill mobs to collect ordo vis when I got blown up.

@Iskandar Excellent work. The pack balance is great and I love the sense of progression as you slowly build from stone age. Also the pack performance is great, I'm getting very consistent 50 FPS on my notebooks (with external graphic cards) with minimum lag. Huge improvement from the older versions where taint swarms and tracking zombies were halting me to 10 fps.

I wanted to ask about few events that happened to me throughout the gameplay and might point to bugs:

1) No animals in magical biomes: I came across area around pure node that was clearing the taint. I fenced the area and returned many times over RL days and I never seen anything spawning there. Is it intended? Do we need to get animals though thaumic or botania means? I was surely far enough for spawning to work (easily >100 blocks)

2) Nether is quite peaceful: On my Nether visit I expected much worse (see my past post from pre-1.3). But it was fairly quiet, with few occasional ghasts. I was mostly a jetpacking around and was avoiding pigmen from far, so maybe that's why. Noticed few wither skellys and blazes around the fortress. I quite liked it actually, finally the Nether was not crazy. But unusual (for your pack ;) ) and very different from older version where I was insta-popped as soon as I entered through portal.

3) Silverwoord trees on surface disappeared: I crafted and planted two silverwood trees. One was planted in a fenced area on raised, cleaned (untainted), lighted up cobblestone platform. Platform was only accessible by ladder from within my base. Second tree was planted on the surface, in the same fenced area. I never had any mobs spawning within the fenced area.

Both saplings grew to trees, both trees had pure nodes in them and even cleared some blocks from taint. The trees were at least 20 blocks away (i.e. fire could not jump from one to another, no lava around). After several RL hours (I play after work, so I'd guess even after 2-3 world starts across multiple days) I went to the surface and both trees were gone. I found 4 magical wood blocks from the surface tree, the one on platform was completely gone. No drops, no mobs. Can the meteorites destroy trees if planted on surface? I am not familiar with mechanics of Meteorcraft and besides occasional loud swoosh&explosion sounds I never noticed any trace of meteorites around my base (no craters, no drops).

4) Blown up by creeper that spawned next to me: Before my death I was inside my underground base and saw zombers tracing me on minimap. Also heard digging sounds, so they have been tunneling for a while. Then I suddenly got swarmed by 4 zombies and 1 TNT-placing guy while in a closed room. After I managed to kill them I went to inspect the place, but haven't found any tunnel - all walls were solid rock. Can zombies or TNT guys teleport through solid walls if close enough to player? Maybe only the TNT guy and he immediately spawned zombie reinforcements?

10 minutes later I went to surface to farm vis by provoking and killing taint tentacles. It was during storm. Out of nowhere (nothing on minimap) a charged creeper suddenly spawned 3 blocks away from me and immediately exploded killing me instantly... I lost the golden laurel previously to the Thaumcraft "ghost" that suddenly spawned in my underground base. My area was not far (~50 blocks) away from Thaumcraft crimson knight "floating obelisk". Can the obelisk in proximity cause these super-close spawns or teleportation of mobs to the inside of underground base (top floor of my base was ~20 blocks below surface, maybe 70-100 from the obelisk)?

5) No diamonds and very fewgems. I dugged in layer indicated by JEI but I believe I only found 3 gems and 0 diamonds. Is this intentional? Are we supposed to get them from dungeon loot (found not dungeons while digging) or farm treasures? I could not do any enchantments ... tried my luck with fishing (myslef + golem) and ended up with a 2 enchanted books which were the only enchantments.

If I'm spoiling too much please feel free to respond privately or even delete my post.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
1 is intended, spawning used to be bugged. 2 is likely of the steps I took to fix spawning in general. I'm not exactly happy about it, but it isn't something I care to fix, either. 3 sounds like they caught fire, though how I couldn't say. First report, I'll keep an eye on it. 4 sounds like a bug from the method I used to fix spaw ning. For whatever reason, sometimes mobs seem to ignore normal spawning rules. Not sure why. I'm investigating. 5 is right, don't trust NEI,dig higher. I moved them up to get them away from the void a bit. they are a bit more common, too.

Desman

Sep 23, 2014
2) I was greeted by a creeper once, right after stepping through the Nether portal, so it's not as safe as you think. It was easy for me because of the crazy lag I get there, mobs simply can't move.

3) Blazes spawned and fought other mobs, setting the trees on fire?

5) You can try digging for gems, but you only really get them by flying underneath the islands. I place a pillar of dirt to land and mine them from below.

FallenS0ul

Jul 29, 2019
What are these gems you speak of?

1) i am getting spawns in magical forest biome from a natural pure node

Has the modpack been updated?? Im running the latest on ftb

Lachim Heigrim

Jul 29, 2019
Yes Iskandar has updated the modpack quite a while ago, but the new version (currently 1.3) will only be available on Curse launcher that FTB team is migrating to (https://www.curse.com/games/minecraft).

I played both versions and both are great. In terms of mod differences, the older had Clockwork Phase and Witchery (did not get to play with it but remember the flame dogs attacks in Nether) which have been removed and replaced by Silent's Gems and EssentialCraft. Of course Thaumcraft, Botania, Flax's are still around.

Worldgen in the new version was changed to generate floating islands and I feel both oregen and silverfish clusters are more rewarding and less annoying respectively. The floating islands by the way are really interesting survival environment, creating all kinds of challenges for you as you progress, but don't want to spoil the fun. ;)

As I mentioned what I appreciate a lot is pack's performance. Old versions were super laggy, with new I get very consistent performance despite number of mobs still spawning.

TL;DR. 1.3 on Curse is Atonement as you know it but made more playable and with dangers distributed into different forms and phases. Definitely give it a try. ;)

BTW I really don't understand why there are so few Let's Plays of this pack. I was poking Danny1986 to give the new version a try because I really liked his old Atonement series but no luck ;)

FallenS0ul

Jul 29, 2019
Dang whaat i didnt know that. I like clockwork phase tho. The lack of that info makes me saad.

Guess ill update meh.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Ooops, thought I'd updated the first page. Fixed now. Sorry about that.

Been real busy with the twins (2 1/2 months old now) and updates have been slow.

FallenS0ul

Jul 29, 2019
No worries man. Congrats on ur twins. Really enjoyed CL 2years ago.

That aside, gosh 1.3 is hell in the overworld... How do i even start LOL

P.S. My launcher takes like 10minutes to load up atonement everytime. Does this happen to anyone?

Last edited:

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Mod updates are needed, and there are a few bugs I have to huny down. No time currently. It's fully playable, though.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Is this pack still getting worked on?
If you just read up a few posts, you'd see the answer to that.

1 is intended, spawning used to be bugged. 2 is likely of the steps I took to fix spawning in general. I'm not exactly happy about it, but it isn't something I care to fix, either. 3 sounds like they caught fire, though how I couldn't say. First report, I'll keep an eye on it. 4 sounds like a bug from the method I used to fix spaw ning. For whatever reason, sometimes mobs seem to ignore normal spawning rules. Not sure why. I'm investigating. 5 is right, don't trust NEI,dig higher. I moved them up to get them away from the void a bit. they are a bit more common, too.

Ooops, thought I'd updated the first page. Fixed now. Sorry about that.

Been real busy with the twins (2 1/2 months old now) and updates have been slow.
The first was last friday and the second was three days ago. Take from that what you will.