[1.6.x] Thaumcraft 4.0.5b Research Cheat Sheet - 1Mil Views!! - Topic above me is a doodoo head. HA!

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
First off, all is forgiven. No worries.

-snip-
Oh no I'm not talking about it's own modpack I am just looking primarily a magic themed modpack that has those mods within it. The server i've been playing on consisted of Thaumcraft four, Thaumic tinkerer, witchery,bloodmagic, twilight forest, and ars magica with the addition of enderchests, and iron chests... And while I have enjoyed the server there isn't much protection available which reeally makes me miss the warded blocks and made me appreciate the concept of the Warded chest... oh god I hope warded blocks come back soon as powerful as they once were.

And I guess it's more of a matter of opinion, because i've been content focusing on Thaumcraft, and armoring myself up. The new enchants just make travel sooooo much fun. And the new way to refuel the jars, and designate permanently what goes where is just such a brilliant addition. And it makes me want to automate fueling things with essentia I just have no way to dump extras. I'm kinda hopping for an expansion of the idea of the thaumic tinker item that lets you use a hopper to transfer liquid into jars, into a block that can dump it.

I tried witchery and bloodmagic and just wasn't impressed. my enjoyment has been limited to the item that let's you talk to animals, and the item that let's you make lava. Aswell as the lava crystal to fuel things that normally take coal.

Magic mods do seem difficult to work, making it balanced with a gauge of progress.... I do see where you're coming from... It felt in the modpack I used, I was at end game once I finished the research and made everytihng I could make. I had self repairing items that had special effects that could help me dominate most monsters, and travel far and wide rather quickly.

Reactions: Succubism

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Damn, that's pretty damn sexy, actually..

Personally, I wouldn't worry about using the TiC knapsack and I'll show you the reason that will explain everything.
Even a big reason for using Better Storage.

5oWQx.jpg

Need I say more?

yea, those graves look really nice, you can even rotate them around.

and hot dang, that's actually quite nice. does it increase it's storage size with enchantments like efficiency/potency? would be nice if it did, as it'd make enchanting the backpack a whole lot more.

that's a nice balanced teleportation mod. there's actually some other teleportation mods out there aswell. here's one by the same mod developer as the gravestones mod I was talking about
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic...lepads-taking-teleports-to-a-whole-new-level/
it has some nice and fancy graphics :p though it's not as well balanced as teleportation stones

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
that's a nice balanced teleportation mod. there's actually some other teleportation mods out there aswell. here's one by the same mod developer as the gravestones mod I was talking about
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic...lepads-taking-teleports-to-a-whole-new-level/
it has some nice and fancy graphics :p though it's not as well balanced as teleportation stones
I'm being careful with teleportation. I know it's very easy for people to go from "Ooh that's nice" to "OH GOD IT'S UNBALANCED AND BROKEN" in a matter of a heartbeat and teleportation/blinking is one of those concepts that seems to toe the line.

The mod with the teleport stones tweaked one of my nostalgia bones because hey remember these?
law-rune-old-school.jpg
I might nix them though... All it takes is to use a stone to get away from some mobs and it's suddenly broken.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
Okay guys, I've been caught out with changes a few times now. I'm comlpetly redoing research for every single thaumcraft entry to make sure everything's up to date. The following mods I'll be reviewing are:
  • Thaumcraft 4.0.4c
  • ThaumicTinkerer v2.0 build 26
  • Thaumcraft Extras 3.1
  • Better Storage 0.7.2.37

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I'm being careful with teleportation. I know it's very easy for people to go from "Ooh that's nice" to "OH GOD IT'S UNBALANCED AND BROKEN" in a matter of a heartbeat and teleportation/blinking is one of those concepts that seems to toe the line.

The mod with the teleport stones tweaked one of my nostalgia bones because hey remember these?
law-rune-old-school.jpg
I might nix them though... All it takes is to use a stone to get away from some mobs and it's suddenly broken.

true, those mods can become very unbalanced real fast. but do the stones get used up when you teleport with them or not? if the stones do get used it'd be a nice balacing factor

Okay guys, I've been caught out with changes a few times now. I'm comlpetly redoing research for every single thaumcraft entry to make sure everything's up to date. The following mods I'll be reviewing are:
  • Thaumcraft 4.0.4c
  • ThaumicTinkerer v2.0 build 26
  • Thaumcraft Extras 3.1
  • Better Storage 0.7.2.37

yikes, good luck with that ;)
by the way, have you seen Azanor's post in his MCF TC4 topic asking players about some of the changes he was thinking about for TC4? http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic...updated-10112013/page__st__4960#entry26130252

Haighyorkie

Jul 29, 2019
I had heard about the possibility of research changing and to be honest what Azanor suggests scares me. His idea just wouldn't be research anymore, it'd be more like a shop. I've played Thaumcraft for ages and I loved the research in TC2, not so much in TC3 but with TC4 I think it's a great compromise. To change it so you can buy research doesn't make sense to me and I really hope the community speaks up about it. His idea where you would discover aspects and then buy the research just seems strange, there's no research left there, there's no finding anything. I mean fair enough, if he made it so you bought research and then implemented a way of researching it to actually 'Find' the research then who am I to argue? But to take away researching research just doesn't make sense :/

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
What was wrong with how it was before? The fact that you had to do this over and over and it grated on people?
You know what? The minigame's fucking fun. The problem doesn't lie in the minigame it lies in gathering the research points in the bloody first place. THAT'S the grating bit. The bit where you can't research like, EVERYTHING immediately in front of you without either combining what little aspects you have in fifty different ways.

THAT'S what needs the revamp, not the minigame.

I'm sorry but if people aren't attracted to tedium, they shouldn't be playing a mod where tedium is part of what makes it different.

Go play DartCraft or something.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Research IRL is tedium.

Thaumcraft is as time consuming as GT in many ways. The ROI, return on investment is high though. The tools, weapons, golems, effects, & mobs all make the work worth it. It's why it remains popular and viewed positively.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
I do not in any way encourage or support the drama fueling of GregTech, henceforth known as GT.
By posting the following statement or question. about GT I agree to not instigate or partake in discussion towards the berating or glorifcation of GT.
I understand that the statement or question following question does not represent my own feelings or lack thereof towards GT or anyone who uses it..
Further more by asking I agree not to insult or congratulate the recipient of the following statement or question based on their stance for or against GT.
According to the Act of Unleashed vs Unhinged 2013 I agree to not encourage the recipient of the following statement or question into the inclusion of GT or lack thereof.
All glory to the Hypnotoad.
The difference is TC4 is it's own mod with innovative elements that make it superior to most other mods, given that it's graphically and functionally innovative. Not to lesser the value of GT, but it's just an addon to another innovative mod that utilizes it's features and presents a challenge to players with nerfs and such but it's still a mod that can be automated. Slow burning, maybe. But that possibility still lies.

Know what else was like that? EE2.

Thaumcraft is not like that. It's something that you can't automate. You struggle to even alchemize and it always requires player hands/effort to use. That's just how the mod was designed and that's the vision it follows.

If people get all pissy because they can't just shlep their way through it without appreciating that vision, then they can play something else. I don't care if that's unproductive there are people who enjoy that vision. It's not fair on them that a vision has to be tailored to people who don't appreciate it's design.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
This, I'm not exactly thrilled and in love with research but it's nowhere near as bad as the item sink that three was. Honestly I feel like it's more or less how many aspects their are with so little use. I feel like the aspects should be introduced when their used for something that absolutely needs this very specific aspect, and for it to make sense.

It also is what ruins the flow it could have. Look at some of the let's plays where someone tries to scan what's around. They can scan a majority of the simpler natural blocks... You can scan blocks that are rather complex from time to time. or would seem to be complex in my mind. "I can scan an alien totem before I can scan a grass block..." One of Joehills experiences with Thaumcraft four and I completely agree with it. It just seems silly I can understand ancient work before I can understand a block that the earth is made of.

I understand laying foundation, but how often do mod authors continue forth with new idea's. Not just reworks, but completely new items and idea's for the blocks. To actually implement and have them in place? So many idea's can be scrapped, yet so many aspects that were meant for those scrapped idea's will remain. I feel like this is what's really biting the research in the butt this time, aspects that may not be used, or will sit collecting dust on the shelf until half a year later.

it's like the concept of hidden research... It sounds like a brilliant idea, to trade for ancient pieces of work that could lead to something amazing. But it's still the same golem accessories...

Thaumcraft four made allot of excellent changes to the pace of thaumcraft. It is no longer a mod that's end game to start, but toy level tools and armor. You can choose, and manipulate you're way to getting what you want, when you want it. Learning how to craft the item merely takes paper and ink like research should stick with, well and the special tool to research it...

Actually that gives me an idea.. another tool to the trade...maybe a re-purpose of the deconstructor. Something that let's you put in complex items and blocks with aspects you can't understand and you have get one half of the aspect it's made of, and then a clue to point you to the second aspect. Just so you don't have to fiddle around with combining them in the table willy nilly. Something to make it knowledge based not luck based.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
So... Uhm....

About that... Update thing, I was supposed to be... doing...

Yeah... I'mma... Postpone that for a little bit.

Not because I don't want to do it or anything! Just... Well...

Let's just say, for now. I expected too much out of something and in return got didn't get what I was looking for and because of it it's directly stopped progress... I'd tell you guys what it is but... I'd spare you the rant.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I had heard about the possibility of research changing and to be honest what Azanor suggests scares me. His idea just wouldn't be research anymore, it'd be more like a shop. I've played Thaumcraft for ages and I loved the research in TC2, not so much in TC3 but with TC4 I think it's a great compromise. To change it so you can buy research doesn't make sense to me and I really hope the community speaks up about it. His idea where you would discover aspects and then buy the research just seems strange, there's no research left there, there's no finding anything. I mean fair enough, if he made it so you bought research and then implemented a way of researching it to actually 'Find' the research then who am I to argue? But to take away researching research just doesn't make sense :/

I would say "don't worry" we've seen what Azanor has done with Thaumcraft 1, 2, 3 and now 4. whatever he does, we all know it'll be good ;)
at first I was also worried about things like the minigame in TC4 and the golems in TC3, but after actually having played with it, I love it. so no matter what Azanor does, I'm not worried about Thaumcraft getting worse then what it first was

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
I would say "don't worry" we've seen what Azanor has done with Thaumcraft 1, 2, 3 and now 4. whatever he does, we all know it'll be good ;)
at first I was also worried about things like the minigame in TC4 and the golems in TC3, but after actually having played with it, I love it. so no matter what Azanor does, I'm not worried about Thaumcraft getting worse then what it first was
I know there is a certain level of trust that has been earned by azanor but just because you trust someone doesn't mean everything they do will be fantastic and wonderful. Some idea's in general are just bad no matter who thinks them up. Research should not be something that's pay to play... That's what crafting is, you want something that can serve a purpose, you craft it with materials you gather. Thaumcraft just makes it a bit more work by adding research to it.

Make it a shop minigame based completely off of npc that could potentially never spawn because of server tps, or mob cap and you'll harshly slow down the pace of the mod. potentially halting all progress together. I once lived in a magical forrest however I joined a server that had issues where after a short while after a restart, mobs didn't spawn often the most you saw was three crawling zombies...

I love Thaumcraft 4 to death, and thaumcraft always had a grace to it that I wanted to enjoy, and Thaumcraft 4 has been the most enjoyable iteration of thaumcraft for me. For me it's literally just the aspects and the ladder of scanning things that makes me feel sick. I love the minigame and of course, it's a game so not everyone is going to enjoy one particular game type. But it fits, and it works rather smoothly. But even then I found the best method to research was aura nodes, building up large amounts of primal aspects so I can combine and use as I see fit. Aswell as when aura nodes had specail aspects.

I trust azanor, and I do admit I can be a negative/ sceptic nancy with some things, and i'll admit if I feel like something isn't as bad as I thought it would be when I tried it out. But when you see someone whose been covering and enjoys and has a good idea of the message you've been trying to convey and they say " I dunno I feel like you're loosing sight of the idea you wanted." Take that and reeally really ponder it and make sure this is something that does fit your OWN idea's rather than the masses, who hate the concept of working for something.