[1.6.x] Thaumcraft 4.0.5b Research Cheat Sheet - 1Mil Views!! - Topic above me is a doodoo head. HA!

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
Whats wrong woth TCE now -.-
I was going to do every bit of research from scratch. A major part of what I thought would help was your "Research Block" with 999 rp's of every aspect.

It only gave me rp points for about 10 obscure, random aspects.

Wasliebob

Jul 29, 2019
I was going to do every bit of research from scratch. A major part of what I thought would help was your "Research Block" with 999 rp's of every aspect.

It only gave me rp points for about 10 obscure, random aspects.
That one is bugged it should work but i think it cannot handle this much aspects at the same time.
Will try to fix it though

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
That one is bugged it should work but i think it cannot handle this much aspects at the same time.
Will try to fix it though
Until you fix it, remove it from your mod thread as if it's buggy or it doesn't work, you shouldn't use it as a selling point.
At the very least, point out it's Work in Progress.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
my biggest problem with Thaumcraft 3 and 4 is that it's fun to do it once, but as soon you start over in a different world, you've to go through all the research again, and after the 3rd or 4th time, it just becomes a big pain in the arse. it's nice to see Azanor is trying to think up a way to solve this problem. but I do agree, if the research becomes more of a NPC shop, that doesn't seem too exciting. but Azanor has build his mods on alot of feedback from the community, and what he's doing now is just throwing up some ideas and see how the community reacts. that's why I'm not too worried about it. maybe Azanor could do a combination with it, that you need to do minigames and everytime you clear a stage, a part of the research becomes available to purchase...

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
my biggest problem with Thaumcraft 3 and 4 is that it's fun to do it once, but as soon you start over in a different world, you've to go through all the research again, and after the 3rd or 4th time
If they don't want to do the research, they can use the cheat sheet.

(Not my cheat sheet, the in-game one that unlocks all the research by using it.)

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
If they don't want to do the research, they can use the cheat sheet.

(Not my cheat sheet, the in-game one that unlocks all the research by using it.)

that's a bit difficult to do on servers... and the cheat-sheet is a thaumonomnomnom with all the research unlocked, even the research of if items/blocks that are new and added by the mods, which kind of makes the whole research system useless... but I do agree, it's quite easy to go through all the research, especially using your sheets, but it still takes atleast an hour, maybe two depending on how mods mods you've installed, to get through all the research

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
that's a bit difficult to do on servers... and the cheat-sheet is a thaumonomnomnom with all the research unlocked, even the research of if items/blocks that are new and added by the mods, which kind of makes the whole research system useless... but I do agree, it's quite easy to go through all the research, especially using your sheets, but it still takes atleast an hour, maybe two depending on how mods mods you've installed, to get through all the research
You know what else sucks? Infusing items on bulk.

Think he should change that too? Perhaps alchemy too? Why not just allow pipes to do it for you? Hell why not just make everything a single block machine.

Thaumcraft is an effort taking mod. It's not somthing meant to be effortless.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
I like the research minigame. It's not a resource sink and it's not an over the top sliding tile minigame like SOME mods.

Know what'd suck doing over and over? THAT.

I don't care what people say they want. They don't know what they want.
They want the world but they don't want it to be too heavy.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
You know what else sucks? Infusing items on bulk.

Think he should change that too? Perhaps alchemy too? Why not just allow pipes to do it for you? Hell why not just make everything a single block machine.

Thaumcraft is an effort taking mod. It's not somthing meant to be effortless.

I know Thaumcraft isn't meant as a mod to be done in just 15 minutes, it takes time and that is what makes it fun. but not everyone enjoys doing the same things over and over in every world they play in and Azanor has found himself in that same position and is now trying to think of a way to make it more fun again to start research on every world you play in. like I said, maybe a combination of the minigames and research might be a good idea, that you've to do the minigames to unlock tiers which you can then use to purchase research, but if he keeps it the way it is I'm also fine with that

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
I know Thaumcraft isn't meant as a mod to be done in just 15 minutes, it takes time and that is what makes it fun. but not everyone enjoys doing the same things over and over in every world they play in and Azanor has found himself in that same position and is now trying to think of a way to make it more fun again to start research on every world you play in. like I said, maybe a combination of the minigames and research might be a good idea, that you've to do the minigames to unlock tiers which you can then use to purchase research, but if he keeps it the way it is I'm also fine with that
It's not done over and over.

The only way it's even close to being done over and over is if you play world, after world, after world.
People seem to forget that if you play on one world, you don't have the issue of having to research everything over and over. Once it's researched, it's bloody researched.

If you don't want to do it over and over then pick a damn world and play in it.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019

The only way it's even close to being done over and over is if you play world, after world, after world.
People seem to forget that if you play on one world, you don't have the issue of having to research everything over and over. Once it's researched, it's bloody researched.

ok,ok, I get it, I get it. I can only say my experience with TC3 in my modpacks was that I often just quit a world for whatever reason, and I just didn't feel like redoing the research and thus just didn't bother with TC3 anymore. but with TC4 I changed my playing style, now playing the same world for well over a month. though it did give me a friggin scare when I lost all my research because of a crash :eek:

Haighyorkie

Jul 29, 2019

ditto! I usually start a new version for a new minecraft version and like to stick with that (unless it's for my series in which case I could have about 4 worlds on the go!). If people use more than one world then they have to expect doing some of the same research again and if they dont like, you shouldn't have started a new world!
wasliebob, if you are reading this. I must stress something of great importance that I said straight off the bat that doesn't seem to have been listened to. My advice with your mod would be to stop adding things in and fix what's there. I did a small mod, a very small mod. It added 3 blocks into the game, 3 different types of fuels and a mob repelling torch. It wasn't the biggest mod in the world but you know something....I never got one bad report from it, I never got any bug reports or any problems because I made sure things worked before I worked on anything else. As it happened I never had the time to update it thanks to forge but plans were there for when it was stable. Fix what's there, don't add new things. Do with that as you will.

Also Anna, I have never gone into great detail with Ars Magica, how are you on that mod? If we are going to be playing it and neither knows what it does it's going to be great fun :p

EDIT: I also need to get an Avatar...

Wasliebob

Jul 29, 2019
ditto! I usually start a new version for a new minecraft version and like to stick with that (unless it's for my series in which case I could have about 4 worlds on the go!). If people use more than one world then they have to expect doing some of the same research again and if they dont like, you shouldn't have started a new world!
wasliebob, if you are reading this. I must stress something of great importance that I said straight off the bat that doesn't seem to have been listened to. My advice with your mod would be to stop adding things in and fix what's there. I did a small mod, a very small mod. It added 3 blocks into the game, 3 different types of fuels and a mob repelling torch. It wasn't the biggest mod in the world but you know something....I never got one bad report from it, I never got any bug reports or any problems because I made sure things worked before I worked on anything else. As it happened I never had the time to update it thanks to forge but plans were there for when it was stable. Fix what's there, don't add new things. Do with that as you will.

Also Anna, I have never gone into great detail with Ars Magica, how are you on that mod? If we are going to be playing it and neither knows what it does it's going to be great fun :p

EDIT: I also need to get an Avatar...
There just a few bugs that i cannot fix myself.
If you stuff i can fix tell me.[DOUBLEPOST=1385233600][/DOUBLEPOST]
If you stuff i can fix tell me.

Also if you say improve this, why not say *itemname* is lacking on.
Also most bugs i dont see myself because there a lot of stuff that can actually bug out that i cannot always notice.
Like i said if i hear of a bug and i know its possible to be fixed i will fix it.
If i don't know of it i cannot fix it.

(Talking about the Thauminomicon Entries, Those will get renewed in upcoming version)

Last edited:

Haighyorkie

Jul 29, 2019
for which reason can you not fix them may I ask?

I'll be very honest with you, the first time I tried the mod it left a sour taste in my mouth so haven't touched it since. I've read numerous people saying things about the mod and the problems with it and yes, you have fixed a few things but you keep adding things rather than having a solid base to work from. It's highly frustrating to see. For that reason that's why I refuse to load it and make suggestions. My suggestions would be to stop adding things and work on what's there, tweaking, fixing and so on.

Don't get me wrong you have my respect for starting a mod, but it's got Thaumcraft in it's name, Thaumcraft deserves respect when using it's API and deserves the same amount of care and attention as the original mod. I get that the mod is a work in progress but until I hear things have changed i'm not going to use it and for the moment that doesn't seem to be the case. As I said in my original post on your forum page, I will be keeping my eye out but things need to change. Don't rush, run through it and the research yourself and test it out yourself before unleashing it. Everything seems to be pushed through too quickly.

Wasliebob

Jul 29, 2019
for which reason can you not fix them may I ask?

I'll be very honest with you, the first time I tried the mod it left a sour taste in my mouth so haven't touched it since. I've read numerous people saying things about the mod and the problems with it and yes, you have fixed a few things but you keep adding things rather than having a solid base to work from. It's highly frustrating to see. For that reason that's why I refuse to load it and make suggestions. My suggestions would be to stop adding things and work on what's there, tweaking, fixing and so on.

Don't get me wrong you have my respect for starting a mod, but it's got Thaumcraft in it's name, Thaumcraft deserves respect when using it's API and deserves the same amount of care and attention as the original mod. I get that the mod is a work in progress but until I hear things have changed i'm not going to use it and for the moment that doesn't seem to be the case. As I said in my original post on your forum page, I will be keeping my eye out but things need to change. Don't rush, run through it and the research yourself and test it out yourself before unleashing it. Everything seems to be pushed through too quickly.

Be clear, what need to change
If i don't know what to fix i cannot fix it, hope thats clear (if you dont know the bug you cannot fix the bug, as of now almost all bugs i know off and i was told of are fixed there is just 1 left, which the api doesnt allow to work)
Also some stuff you cannot use i am using an API which also has restrictions.
About the research block, it seems that TC4 Only allows a few aspects at the same time.

Haighyorkie

Jul 29, 2019
If you stuff i can fix tell me.[DOUBLEPOST=1385233600][/DOUBLEPOST]

Also if you say improve this, why not say *itemname* is lacking on.
Also most bugs i dont see myself because there a lot of stuff that can actually bug out that i cannot always notice.
Like i said if i hear of a bug and i know its possible to be fixed i will fix it.
If i don't know of it i cannot fix it.

(Talking about the Thauminomicon Entries, Those will get renewed in upcoming version)

The Thaumonomicon entries are exactly what i'm talking about. This is the first thing that people see when they use your mod. They want to know what items do, they want to see the cool new tab they've got to look at but they open it up and get confronted by an eyesore. It really angers me that so little work was put into such a huge part of thaumcraft as, for me, it feels like a total disrespect for what Azanor has created. It feels discarded and that you've thought it unimportant to do properly when I think it's entirely the opposite way around. This particular part is what put me seriously off the mod if truth be told as it felt it was lazily put together and just a couldn't-be-arsed attitude to it. I thought to myself, if this amount of effort was put into this part it doesn't bode well for the mod and i'm sure i'm not the only one there. Adding that particular thing in AFTER release is not acceptable. Still, i'll be keeping my eyes and ears out.

This is just me, i'm very protective over Thaucraft with the amount of hours i've sunk into it. Don't be discouraged by what I say, hopefully it will inspire you more than put you off. The thing with thaumcraft is that it's all in the detail...which you need to work on somewhat

Haighyorkie

Jul 29, 2019
Be clear, what need to change
If i don't know what to fix i cannot fix it, hope thats clear (if you dont know the bug you cannot fix the bug, as of now almost all bugs i know off and i was told of are fixed there is just 1 left, which the api doesnt allow to work)
Also some stuff you cannot use i am using an API which also has restrictions.
About the research block, it seems that TC4 Only allows a few aspects at the same time.

What needs to change? Your input. The way you view the mod, how you are going about it is all wrong. So you are trying to do things that the API can't physically do? Can I ask why you are doing them at all then? The research block, it was a great idea but if it physically can't work, get rid of it. Instead of a full on research block for that just add in a research block for the core aspects, that way you can still get everything with a little bit of work

Wasliebob

Jul 29, 2019
The Thaumonomicon entries are exactly what i'm talking about. This is the first thing that people see when they use your mod. They want to know what items do, they want to see the cool new tab they've got to look at but they open it up and get confronted by an eyesore. It really angers me that so little work was put into such a huge part of thaumcraft as, for me, it feels like a total disrespect for what Azanor has created. It feels discarded and that you've thought it unimportant to do properly when I think it's entirely the opposite way around. This particular part is what put me seriously off the mod if truth be told as it felt it was lazily put together and just a couldn't-be-arsed attitude to it. I thought to myself, if this amount of effort was put into this part it doesn't bode well for the mod and i'm sure i'm not the only one there. Adding that particular thing in AFTER release is not acceptable. Still, i'll be keeping my eyes and ears out.

This is just me, i'm very protective over Thaucraft with the amount of hours i've sunk into it. Don't be discouraged by what I say, hopefully it will inspire you more than put you off. The thing with thaumcraft is that it's all in the detail...which you need to work on somewhat

I stated something you prolly didnt read i will say it once again and this is the last time.

That update will be TODAY, not speeding things up, but i can release since it is done.[DOUBLEPOST=1385235788][/DOUBLEPOST]
What needs to change? Your input. The way you view the mod, how you are going about it is all wrong. So you are trying to do things that the API can't physically do? Can I ask why you are doing them at all then? The research block, it was a great idea but if it physically can't work, get rid of it. Instead of a full on research block for that just add in a research block for the core aspects

I cannot go farder then the api can if where talking about TC4 itself, the api has main stuff you cannot change the mechanisme of it to allow more then lets say 8 aspects at one block.

It was the first item, it is also creative only, so means it is also not bug free mostly i keep it there because i first want to ask Azanor to be sure of it before i remove it for sure.[DOUBLEPOST=1385235919][/DOUBLEPOST]
I stated something you prolly didnt read i will say it once again and this is the last time.

That update will be TODAY, not speeding things up, but i can release since it is done.[DOUBLEPOST=1385235788][/DOUBLEPOST]

I cannot go farder then the api can if where talking about TC4 itself, the api has main stuff you cannot change the mechanisme of it to allow more then lets say 8 aspects at one block.

It was the first item, it is also creative only, so means it is also not bug free mostly i keep it there because i first want to ask Azanor to be sure of it before i remove it for sure.

Also if you have time can you come on my irc channel or Thaumcraft (#wasliebob, #thaumcraft) so we can talk a bit.