[1.6.4] InfiTech Modpack [GregTech/Galacticraft hard-mode modpack] - DISCONTINUED

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Spot loaders are bugged :) They sometimes force-unload chunks (which is causing the cable disconnection issues), they sometimes don!t load at all. Try to use regular Chicken Chunk Loader and see if the issue persists.

NA is awesome, but its little bit server killing when used on Multiplayer :D
Thanks, phew, good to know. I can work with that.

Loving latest version by the way. I see you ultimately did end up using stainless steel in BR; I think it makes a ton of sense, but if anything you were even harsher than I had suggested (good!). I also see you decided on 8x fuel consumption. Since I was at 14x before, I'm feeling like my fuel lasts forever :)

Just an FYI: I have dug out three maximum-sized quarries. Zero nickel ore. (1 desert quarry, 2, um, plains I think)

How on earth are people getting enough platinum dust without going to the End? ( I feel its too early to be trying out the whole end business)

Ditto manganese. I'm constantly, horribly short of manganese.

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
Nickel: Mountain, Hills :) So you were digging in totaly wrong place :D

How on earth are people getting enough platinum dust without going to the End? ( I feel its too early to be trying out the whole end business)

Be glad that you haven't saw the "alpha" version of modpack. We had Hardcore Ender Expansion. So going to the END was realy something hard :)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Ah... I forgot this one. Please wait let me go shoot myself.
They're not 100% reliable.

Also, something like "Mini Jungle" doesn't seem to constitute a "Jungle" when, say, hunting for Tetrahedrite.

Nickel: Mountain, Hills :) So you were digging in totaly wrong place :D
Thanks, for some reason I didn't think to consult the list for nickel. It always seems like such a vanilla ore to me :\ (no idea why)

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
Well you know you can forget all vanilla ore generation in 1.7 :D

What is that ^^ supposed to mean?
I've never posted here before, but since I got pulled into this thread somehow, thanks for rolling with ExtraBiomesXL. It is my favourite biomes mod (even though you've included the BoP.disabled file in the pack)
Your LPs are a good mirror to the modpack.

Be glad that you haven't saw the "alpha" version of modpack. We had Hardcore Ender Expansion. So going to the END was realy something hard :)

And yes, thanks for not rolling with the ender expansion pack (for now :p )

Aiwendil

Jul 29, 2019

Ditto manganese. I'm constantly, horribly short of manganese.

From what I understand, Greg WANTS you to visit End, and more than once. To be honest in vanilla and most mods End is just stupid and useless. You get there, kill the dragon, get a useless egg and gtfo. Greg actually makes it useful, and pretty much forces you to go there, since it's the best source of manganese (Tungstate), silver (Tungstate again), olivine (who uses emerald for data circuits?!), iridium (Sheldonite) and platinum (Sheldonite). You won't progress out of certain age without visiting End. Also it's really not bad, get yourself full nano and you won't die unless you're careless.

Reactions: Pyure and AlCapella

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
What is that ^^ supposed to mean?

Well... GT for 1.7 is overiding vanilla ores. Basicaly it removes ALL vanilla ores (iron, gold, redstone, emerald, lapis, diamond) and put its own iron and stuff with highly changed ore generation:

Small ores = can spawn anywhere but one yields only dirty dusts, which can be smelted to only 3 nuggets
Regular ores = which spawn in high amounts but only 1 vein in 3x3 chunk area (don't quote me on that, since It might have changed since I was testing the alpha GT).

on top of that: Iron can be mined only by using Bronze or better pickaxe, Diamond can be mined only by diamond pickaxe (you can still mine small diamond ore with iron pickaxe, but you have only 10% chance it will give you a diamond, it mostly gives again dirty dust)

Reactions: Pyure

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
From what I understand, Greg WANTS you to visit End, and more than once. To be honest in vanilla and most mods End is just stupid and useless. You get there, kill the dragon, get a useless egg and gtfo. Greg actually makes it useful, and pretty much forces you to go there, since it's the best source of manganese (Tungstate), silver (Tungstate again), olivine (who uses emerald for data circuits?!), iridium (sheldonite) and platinum (sheldonite). You won't progress out of certain age without visiting End. Also it's really not bad, get yourself full nano and you won't die unless you're careless.
I admit. I laughed. I think subconsciously, this is my thought on end too (I am relatively new to greg as well), and that makes the end meh.... "maybe next weekend" in my book... Boss fights appeal to me, so long as paul soares is doing it, with interesting commentary to boot... now ^^ this is something one can get behind after all....[DOUBLEPOST=1405953413][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well... GT for 1.7 is overiding vanilla ores. Basicaly it removes ALL vanilla ores (iron, gold, redstone, emerald, lapis, diamond) and put its own iron and stuff with highly changed ore generation:

Small ores = can spawn anywhere but one yields only dirty dusts, which can be smelted to only 3 nuggets
Regular ores = which spawn in high amounts but only 1 vein in 3x3 chunk area (don't quote me on that, since It might have changed since I was testing the alpha GT).

on top of that: Iron can be mined only by using Bronze or better pickaxe, Diamond can be mined only by diamond pickaxe (you can still mine small diamond ore with iron pickaxe, but you have only 10% chance it will give you a diamond, it mostly gives again dirty dust)
:confused: this is a classic chicken and egg... so where do i get my first diamonds to make the damned diamond pick, to mine the diamonds later on? :confused:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
From what I understand, Greg WANTS you to visit End, and more than once. To be honest in vanilla and most mods End is just stupid and useless. You get there, kill the dragon, get a useless egg and gtfo. Greg actually makes it useful, and pretty much forces you to go there, since it's the best source of manganese (Tungstate), silver (Tungstate again), olivine (who uses emerald for data circuits?!), iridium (Sheldonite) and platinum (Sheldonite). You won't progress out of certain age without visiting End. Also it's really not bad, get yourself full nano and you won't die unless you're careless.

I agree with all of this (except olivine...I get tons of it processing basalt I believe. The big stumbling block is enough gunpowder for TNT and the industrial compressor)

Issue is I've never done it before and I haven't found an ender portal thingy yet.

I made a pneumatic helmet to hopefully help in this regard (it can identify silverfish blocks). But at 5 bars, it doesn't last long, and I haven't figured out an easy way to charge it while out exploring yet.

That reminds me: has anyone ever successfully gotten a squid plant seed by killing squids?
I have slaughtered, oh, several dozen of them (more than 100, less than 200), and never gotten a seed. I ended up cheating some in in the meantime :( :(

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
That reminds me: has anyone ever successfully gotten a squid plant seed by killing squids?
I have slaughtered, oh, several dozen of them (more than 100, less than 200), and never gotten a seed. I ended up cheating some in in the meantime :( :(

You didn't say that. We didn't read that ;)

Aiwendil

Jul 29, 2019
I made a pneumatic helmet to hopefully help in this regard (it can identify silverfish blocks). But at 5 bars, it doesn't last long, and I haven't figured out an easy way to charge it while out exploring yet.

I think they just spawn in the water, they're dark blue.
Since you may not know that - by throwing Eyes of Ender you can locate the portal :p Hunt for Endermen in deserts, they have higher chance of spawning there.

Reactions: Pyure and AlCapella

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
Since you may not know that - by throwing Eyes of Ender you can locate the portal :p Hunt for Endermen in deserts, they have higher chance of spawning there.

^^ Go back a page or two... We flogged this dead horse back there :p

Eyes of ender? You philistine! :p We use the "goldeneye" now :D

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
According to official wiki they're supposed to drop from squids. Maybe its because my world pre-dated the addition of PC.

Yeah, I just don't have enough ender eyes to be cavalier about their use just yet. I'll try the desert thing, thanks.

It occurs to me, a single eye of ender might be enough, given the assistance of the helmet. Two at most to establish a general triangulation.

Reactions: AlCapella

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
According to official wiki they're supposed to drop from squids. Maybe its because my world pre-dated the addition of PC.

Yeah, I just don't have enough ender eyes to be cavalier about their use just yet. I'll try the desert thing, thanks.

It occurs to me, a single eye of ender might be enough, given the assistance of the helmet. Two at most to establish a general triangulation.

May I suggest recording this miracle for the benefit of posterity? Pretty please... etc... sd/- "the other" wolf