[1.6.4] InfiTech Modpack [GregTech/Galacticraft hard-mode modpack] - DISCONTINUED

Aiwendil

Jul 29, 2019
Bees are probably a good deal faster at producing gunpowder.

As much as I'm a bee person, I'll disagree. A single alveary is indeed faster than a single creeperweed. But making more alvearies is expensive and expanding your crop farm takes just a bit of wood, EU (portable scanner) and patience.

BTW if you have harvestors with up to 2 OC upgrades, you can power them easily with Solar Panel covers. Nice, cheap and compact.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
As much as I'm a bee person, I'll disagree. A single alveary is indeed faster than a single creeperweed. But making more alvearies is expensive and expanding your crop farm takes just a bit of wood, EU (portable scanner) and patience.

BTW if you have harvestors with up to 2 OC upgrades, you can power them easily with Solar Panel covers. Nice, cheap and compact.
Definitely using solar. I started with covers, and changed my arrangement a bit when I couldn't deal with rain-fires properly. Ended up with a tiny solar tower and a batbox instead.

Grove

Jul 29, 2019
Hi guys, didn't realise this forum was so active :) more people to talk to about an awesome modpack!

I've never really used ic2 crops before at all, I've recently started using them to manually farm wheat and my god it's soooo much easier. I'm gonna try get into these but I can't find much documentation on them after doing a quick google search...

Anyone know a good link? I'm gonna have fun reading through 14 pages worth of posts :)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Hi guys, didn't realise this forum was so active :) more people to talk to about an awesome modpack!

I've never really used ic2 crops before at all, I've recently started using them to manually farm wheat and my god it's soooo much easier. I'm gonna try get into these but I can't find much documentation on them after doing a quick google search...

Anyone know a good link? I'm gonna have fun reading through 14 pages worth of posts :)
Here's the link @Aiwendil found us earlier.

As Aiwendil mentioned, its out of date, but will give you a rough idea.

I'm running an IC2 crop farm with 20/20 crops at 150 height in a plains biome, no cropmatron running, for what its worth. YMMV.[DOUBLEPOST=1408025005][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, and for quick mutation help, get a portable scanner. Much handier than the cropnalyzer since it identifies a plant at any stage and tells you its stats. That way you can break a plant as soon as it appears if its not what you want.

Grove

Jul 29, 2019
Here's the link @Aiwendil found us earlier.

As Aiwendil mentioned, its out of date, but will give you a rough idea.

I'm running an IC2 crop farm with 20/20 crops at 150 height in a plains biome, no cropmatron running, for what its worth. YMMV.[DOUBLEPOST=1408025005][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, and for quick mutation help, get a portable scanner. Much handier than the cropnalyzer since it identifies a plant at any stage and tells you its stats. That way you can break a plant as soon as it appears if its not what you want.

Ooo brilliant thanks :) I'm going to give that a read while I'm at work!

I'm totally new to these ic2 crops but from what I can tell Aiwen did one hell of a job on the 1.6 Dev server! Had oil berries which I would have loved to have automated into fuel!!

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm doing the oilberries thing now myself. They grow pretty slow but at the end of the day its (nearly) free oil. (Nearly since I do use some solar power to run my farms)

I actually started out trying to get argentia since I had serious silver problems. By the time I finally got an argentia plant however, I was drowning in silver from other sources. Now I find my biggest lack is gunpowder, so I'm breeding up high-growth/high-gain creeperweeds.

To a somewhat lesser extent I find I run low on redstone (I centrifuge tons of the stuff to maintain a nice chrome stockpile) so I maintain a large redwheat field as well.

Reactions: Grove

Grove

Jul 29, 2019
I will definitely be getting into creeper weeds, they seem to be one of the best things for mass producing gunpowder for all the TNT we need.

I always use oil to make fuel and run my backup generators on that. Usually to only supply power to a few key machines and my ME system because as we all will know if your ME system goes offline and your out of power you could be screwed haha.

Wonder how big the oil berry field would have to be to make it feasible...

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Depends what you do with the oil. I distillery-tower mine, then turn the result into nitro-diesel and burn that in a diesel generator.

Grove

Jul 29, 2019
I've never used nitro desire before but just read it's 30% more efficient to use than fuel and that's including the running costs of the distillery too! Going to have to look into that! I'm helping test 1.7 atm though so I've pretty much starting from scratch with the new updated gregtech, finding ores just got a whole lot harder!

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I'm using bees for my oil. Took a little bit of doing to get Alvearies and then frames automated. Other than Spidery Bees, I don't know of a good way of automating string production, so I'm using those.

I liked the IC2 Nuclear Reactors that had breeder reactor designs. The MOX reactors, IMHO, are a step backwards. You have to start them with the cooling bits out, let it warm it enough so it hurts you, then insert the cooling bits. Then, it can never get hotter / overheat. I would expect this from a mod in the alpha/beta stage, but it's a major step backwards from IC2 in 1.5.2, IMHO. Am shuttering my reactor for now until I get bees making Uranium.

For now, I'm doing Refined Bees --> centrifuge --> squeezer --> BC Refineries --> RC boilers --> RC Steam Turbines. I've never built a GT Distillation Tower : I'm looking forward to it :)

I'm pondering what to do with BigReactors. I've done Reactors in my previous two worlds. I'm thinking of building just a big Turbine and using the steam from my RC boilers to power it.

My huge base is getting a bit client FPS laggy, though. Am thinking of locating all power production (including bees) up to steam to the Nether (hey, it's hot there), and sending the steam across dimensions to where it's needed.

Reactions: Pyure

Grove

Jul 29, 2019
In the latest update of the pack the RC steam turbines have been removed so the only option is GT turbines which need two RC boilers to operate at full efficiency but IMO I don't think you will have an issue with that ;) and in 1.7 it's even harder to all that set up due to the updated GT which is causing me a few headaches :p

How will you send the steam?

If that was me I'd most likely use AE to transport it using the dimensional bridge (can't remember the correct name). Only issue with that it the power requirements to keep the bridge open.
I'd use the AE P2P to get the steam from one place to the next not the fluid import bus as they have stupid energy requirements!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MigukNamja

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
In the latest update of the pack the RC steam turbines have been removed so the only option is GT turbines which need two RC boilers to operate at full efficiency but IMO I don't think you will have an issue with that ;) and in 1.7 it's even harder to all that set up due to the updated GT which is causing me a few headaches :p

If that was me I'd most likely use AE to transport it using the dimensional bridge (can't remember the correct name). Only issue with that it the power requirements to keep the bridge open.
I'd use the AE P2P to get the steam from one place to the next not the fluid import bus as they have stupid energy requirements!

Another crazy idea: you might be able to "bottle" the steam into something like the GT quantum tank thingy and send that via the tesseract terminal.

The terminal draws power too, but you can set it up to only draw power while its actually sending something with clever redstone signals (I did this)

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019

Yes, I'll probably use this. Not the most efficient way, but this is a sandbox game. Trying something new/different, but only slightly. I've done quantum bridges before, but haven't ever used ExtraCells to send liquids/fluids across. Steam from Hell The Nether is as good of a thing as any :)

For bonus points, I'll submerge my boilers in lava :)

Am *very* much looking forward to steam from nuclear reactors in 1.7 GT .

I tried using nuclear reactors this world, but hadn't used an IC2 reactor since 1.5.x and was very disappointed that breeders got removed. I'm also disappointed with how hokey MOX is. IC2 for MC 1.6.4 was overall, IMHO, a near complete waste of time in the wrong direction. Apologies to those who put a ton of dev time into and those who enjoy it. Not my cup of tea.

Anyways, I'm using RC Steam Turbines this world since they work and are predictable. I just check on the rotors every day or so and replace/repair as necessary. The GT Steam Turbines are a completely different story. I'm not into the side of GT that believes in random failures resulting in craters and tedious, manual maintenance. Not my kind of !!!FUN!!!! .

Don't mean to be so negative. I'm really enjoying the pack overall and I like GT overall. As with anything, there's aspects I don't have fun with and that's perfectly fine. There's lots of ways to accomplish the same goal.

Last edited:

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
Another crazy idea: you might be able to "bottle" the steam into something like the GT quantum tank thingy and send that via the tesseract terminal.

The terminal draws power too, but you can set it up to only draw power while its actually sending something with clever redstone signals (I did this)
Why is noone considering Dimensional Transceivers for stuffteleportation across dimensions. Its much more awesome than GT Tesseract :D

Grove

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, I'll probably use this. Not the most efficient way, but this is a sandbox game.

I'm curious the what way you would do it? What would you think is the most efficient way?

For bonus points, I'll submerge my boilers in lava :)

Yes! I challenge you to do this :D I'll give you a cake (full cake not half eaten!) if you can this ;)

The GT Steam Turbines are a completely different story. I'm not into the side of GT that believes in random failures resulting in craters and tedious, manual maintenance. Not my kind of !!!FUN!!!!

I completely agree with this. What Greg was thinking when he decided the turbines will explode I really can't say. Yes I agree maybe the input/output hatch should blow through but blow up to the extent that it leaves a crater is a little but extreme for my taste. I don't want a build and forget system but I don't like something where I feel I need to check it every five minutes!

Your not being negative, your just giving your opinion ;)

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
I completely agree with this. What Greg was thinking when he decided the turbines will explode I really can't say. Yes I agree maybe the input/output hatch should blow through but blow up to the extent that it leaves a crater is a little but extreme for my taste. I don't want a build and forget system but I don't like something where I feel I need to check it every five minutes!

Noob question. GT Turbines explode in what case? When they have low durability rotor or whatever? Or somethiing what is only seen in the GUI on the main control block?

Grove

Jul 29, 2019
Noob question. GT Turbines explode in what case? When they have low durability rotor or whatever? Or somethiing what is only seen in the GUI on the main control block?

If the durability runs out on the rotor they explode. I tested this on single player and it made a god-almighty crater!! If you have it in your base like many people will do and your not checking it every 5 mins to see if it needs maintenance or a new rotor you are screwed.