[1.6.4] InfiTech Modpack [GregTech/Galacticraft hard-mode modpack] - DISCONTINUED

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
RC Boilers. Compared to a BigReactors actively-cooled reactor, they barely sip water. See above (obviously).

I misread you initially. I'm doing BR -> RC Turbine, which consumes an awful lot of water. And because of the different conversion rations of water->steam for those mods, I don't get a closed loop. The turbine returns 5% of the input water. I assume that if I did GT-Boiler->GT-Turbine or BR-Reactor->BR-Turbine, I'd be fine. But I want the fission dammit, and I don't need anymore RF.

I totally skipped the RC Boiler phase this game. I usually do the whole treefarm/steam thing but elected to try something different, and BR was already available (and new to me)

Reactions: MigukNamja

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
The boss has already jigged those numbers quite a bit (including fuel-usage)

Personally I find them a bit too lenient.

I've also reported the unfortunate discrepancies between mods in water/steam handling before. You're right that a conversion from rf->eu would solve that problem, but it would also make BR even more OP (and render IC fission completely useless)
I misread you initially. I'm doing BR -> RC Turbine, which consumes an awful lot of water. And because of the different conversion rations of water->steam for those mods, I don't get a closed loop. The turbine returns 5% of the input water. I assume that if I did GT-Boiler->GT-Turbine or BR-Reactor->BR-Turbine, I'd be fine. But I want the fission dammit, and I don't need anymore RF.

I totally skipped the RC Boiler phase this game. I usually do the whole treefarm/steam thing but elected to try something different, and BR was already available (and new to me)

I wish I was as disciplined. I went the easy/exploit route and swam downstream, i.e. the easy route for water:steam ratios. A small flow of water in RC boilers makes a lot of steam for RC turbines. I'm currently venting/dumping all that water, but I *could* pump that water into a BR reactor to turn back into steam and then use *that* steam for RC turbines, and then turn that water back around to pump into RC boilers.

Code:
seed water --> RC Boiler --> BR Turbine --> BR Reactor --> RC Steam Turbine
                  ^                                              |
                  |                                              |
                  +----------------------------------------------+
A nice closed-loop there :)

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Horrible ? Closed-loop is how the real world works.

I have less of a problem with closed-loop than open-loop with vastly different conversion ratios. IMHO, the solution is simple : bring BigReactors in-line with RC, GT, FZ, TE3, etc.,.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I also want to add that I have successfully submerged my boilers in lava in the Nether. I only died once building it.

And, no, I didn't notice any difference/bonus in steam production, fuel usage, or water usage. Bummer ;-)

Also, eIO's Reservoirs work just fine in the Nether. Kind of broken and OP, but water production in MC in *general* - vanilla and modded alike - is mostly broken. You either have too much (infinite) water or not enough (how can you possibly drain an entire ocean and not have it replenish with rain ?) . I lean on the side of disabling infinite water like this pack does. At least the Railcraft and Forestry water producers make sense.

Like sausage, don't ask where the MC water came from ;-)

Reactions: Grove

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Horrible ? Closed-loop is how the real world works.

I have less of a problem with closed-loop than open-loop with vastly different conversion ratios. IMHO, the solution is simple : bring BigReactors in-line with RC, GT, FZ, TE3, etc.,.
You misunderstood me (I was unclear). I feel strongly that the closed-loop should be viable. I just wonder if you're really creating a closed loop or in fact exposing a net-positive-water exploit. I can't wrap my head around it this morning.

I guess its testable isn't it?

Seed water (100 buckets) --> RC Boiler --> BR Turbine --> BR Reactor --> RC Steam Turbine --> Iron Tank (#?? buckets)

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
You misunderstood me (I was unclear). I feel strongly that the closed-loop should be viable. I just wonder if you're really creating a closed loop or in fact exposing a net-positive-water exploit. I can't wrap my head around it this morning.

I guess its testable isn't it?

Seed water (100 buckets) --> RC Boiler --> BR Turbine --> BR Reactor --> RC Steam Turbine --> Iron Tank (#?? buckets)

Ah, good. We see exactly the same. The only fluid input or output I haven't verified yet is how much water the RC Steam Turbine outputs. However, according to the Railcraft Wiki:

What's more, the Turbine is a closed system that allows you to pump most of the water back into the Boiler if you wish.

The key word is *most*. So, I'm almost certain the result would be:

Seed water (100 buckets) --> RC Boiler --> BR Turbine --> BR Reactor --> RC Steam Turbine --> Iron Tank (less then 100 buckets)

The whole purpose of making the above a closed loop is to not care / obfuscate whether RC and BR agree on water/steam or not. As long as the entire *system* is not generating free water, it's good.

And, I'm intentionally venting / dumping the insane amount of water from my BR Turbine since that water is essentially free water. This would be completely OP:

seed water (100 buckets) --> RC Boiler --> BR Turbine --> Iron Tank (several orders of magnitude more than 100 buckets)

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The key word is *most*. So, I'm almost certain the result would be:
Seed water (100 buckets) --> RC Boiler --> BR Turbine --> BR Reactor --> RC Steam Turbine --> Iron Tank (less then 100 buckets)

Then the only downside would be that I'd have to get into "steam age" tech in order to properly leverage large-scale fission, which is a bit strange.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe. Real-world fission reactors make steam to drive turbines. GT is headed the right direction in MC 1.7 .

You're *almost* there in this pack, the only little "problem" being generating enough water to feed a BR reactor. But, that's BR being broken and nothing wrong with the pack. There's no way to BR config or minetweak that one.

I find MOX reactors and RTG to be less realistic. Yup, I never get tired of grinding my MC 1.6 IC2 axe ;-)

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
What's your concern with the MOX reactors?

The RTG I kinda get in the sense that the fuel lasts forever.

Ah, glad you asked. My issue is you *have* to start it up in a hokey way : have some cooling bits out with the fuel in, let it get hot enough that you're taking damage (and nearly melting down the entire reactor), *then* insert the cooling components manually. And, the output is EU/t directly and no steam. And, there's no way to recycle / re-use the spent fuel.

In the real world, there are breeder reactors and there's the thorium cycle, which are not just theoretical, but practical and in use today.

Granted, BR reactors are currently too simple / too abstract. I wouldn't call it a flaw, however. The whole draw of BR is simple, reliable, large-scale power that is server friendly, client friendly, and doesn't require special packs to handle. And, ErogenousBeef is not sitting still. He has plans for more complicated designs in future releases. BR is a work in progress. But, I don't really think of BR as "fission", per se. It's abstract, large-scale power that *sort of* models fission, but not really.

My ideal nuclear reactor is something like ReC, though it's way too complicated for most players, requires RoC (which requires special packs just to handle), and produces OP amounts of power, but that's RoC/ReC for you. It's complicated, challenging, and fun, but not balanced.

Short of that, I really like the direction GT is heading with its steam from nuclear reactors designs.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Ah, glad you asked. My issue is you *have* to start it up in a hokey way : have some cooling bits out with the fuel in, let it get hot enough that you're taking damage (and nearly melting down the entire reactor), *then* insert the cooling components manually. And, the output is EU/t directly and no steam.

Granted, BR reactors are currently too simple / too abstract. I wouldn't call it a flaw, however. The whole draw of BR is simple, reliable, large-scale power that is server friendly, client friendly, and doesn't require special packs to handle. And, ErogenousBeef is not sitting still. He has plans for more complicated designs in future releases. BR is a work in progress.

My ideal nuclear reactor is something like ReC, though it's way too complicated for most players, requires RoC (which requires special packs just to handle), and produces OP amounts of power, but that's RoC/ReC for you. It's complicated, challenging, and fun, but not balanced.

Short of that, I really like the direction GT is heading with its steam from nuclear reactors designs.
Makes sense, agree on basically everything. I find BR "passively" cooled reactors to have the same issue. Adding the active-cooling element really improves the realism, but I wish they'd get rid of the passive version completely for the sake of realism.

I loved designing ReC reactors, but not only do they seem a bit heavier on my game performance, they also have zero cross-mod configuration. Reika has a brutal stranglehold on all progression/balance elements of that mod, which means it wouldn't ever work well in a hard-mode game of any sort. Additionally, I believe he out-right forbids the use of minetweaker on his mods for any public pack. Argh.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I kept mashing "Like" on your post above, but all it did was toggle between Like and Unlike :p

Yes, I agree entirely. For realism, passive reactors should be disabled or severely nerfed. In a harder, most realistic pack, you would get 0 RF/t from a passive reactor. It's sole purpose running in passive mode would be cyanite to make a turbine. But, there's no config for that.

As for @Reika (yes, it's time to summon him ;-)), he is brilliant and hard-working and his mods are among the best out there. But, he does seem to have a strict view on how his mod - his work - and how it should and shouldn't be used / abused, which means it's awesome if you're in agreement, but not so nice when trying to include it in other packs. Like GT, you don't make RoC/ReC fit into *your* pack, you make your pack *around* RoC/ReC.

Not a bad thing, per se, it just prevents RoC/ReC from reaching a broader audience and that might be fine with Reika.

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Definitely. If I wanted to teach a class of students the basics of nuclear engineering, I'd use ReC before anything else.

For serious gaming, where I'm more interested in the experience than the simulation, I just continually get frustrated at the little things.

Leave Reika alone, he's porting to 1.7. Maybe he'll add a bunch of configuration items if we're super nice. Or become patrons or something :p

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
As for @Reika (yes, it's time to summon him ;-)), he is brilliant and hard-working and his mods are among the best out there. But, he does seem to have a strict view on how his mod - his work - and how it should and shouldn't be used / abused, which means it's awesome if you're in agreement, but not so nice when trying to include it in other packs. Like GT, you don't make RoC/ReC fit into *your* pack, you make your pack *around* RoC/ReC.

I have 60+ approved packs, plus of course the FTB packs, which say otherwise, and I do not engage in GT-style "cross-mod balance enforcement" that earned GT that reputation.
The only reason people say that "packs must be designed around RC" is because they look at how powerful it can be and assume that it will then make the other mods obsolete without interference.
This is simply wrong. For one, you can look at the packs that do include RC alongside the other major mods. Aside from comparatively few RotaryCraft "enthusiasts", most users completely ignore the mod, as they deem it too much work or too difficult to be worth the end result, however powerful it may be. Just look at how many users were relying on "place and use, no need to think" pre-v16 magnetostatics and then the rather large drama that came when I nerfed them in v16 and v20, with many, many people saying I was going to completely eliminate my userbase.

Also, there is the simple fact about how it is balanced completely differently. Most mods "tier" content by making them progressively more expensive, often stupidly so.
This has a triple disadvantage:
One, it makes the content completely unappealing to those not willing to spend the cost of a fusion reactor on a chestplate. Even though I functionally have infinite resources in my world, I am not going to spend massive amounts of material (or especially time) making something whose power is matched by something far cheaper or whose abilities are to me useless.
Two, it means that someone with functionally infinite resources can skip immediately to the highest tier, as they are not being barred by other means.
Three, it makes the mod extremely vulnerable to cross-mod balance issues. Make your thing require 2000 diamonds to create? Instantly halved in cost by ore doublers (and reduced far more by higher duplicators). Make it require an ore only found in one block per ten chunks? Digital miner skips right past that. Extremely rare plant byproduct? Farm it. The list goes on. To me, those are the mods that require the entire pack tiptoe around them.
RotaryCraft, on the other hand, does not require ludicrous amounts of resources; a bedrock breaker is not significantly more costly to make than a fermenter, as long as it is attempted at the appropriate point in the techtree. It does, however, require tungsten, making it functionally require microturbine-level infrastructure, meaning it is essentially impossible to obtain on the first day. Remove that ingot, and all of a sudden you have bedrock dust being easier to obtain than most ores.
One of the "what NOT to do" posts on my thread is a user who did exactly this. They looked at the bedrock tools and products, and failed to grasp the required progression obtaining it normally requires. In an effort to make it more expensive, bedrock ingots/dust were replaced with triple compressed cobblestone (729 cobble). Needless to say, that makes the bedrock products much easier, and I can only imagine the resulting effect on their server's economy.

The reverse is also true. Innocently trying to make a machine more expensive runs the large risk of making it actually impossible to obtain via a dependency loop. For example, say you, unaware of the techtree and power costs, decided that the Extractor (5x ore multiplcation) was too cheap for what it did and decided to make it require bedrock dust in its recipe. That sounds fine until you work it through and realize that bedrock dust can only be obtained with a bedrock breaker and 2MW of power, the former of which requires tungsten. Tungsten in turn, requires a similar power level and a functioning Extractor. So to make the extractor require bedrock actually makes it impossible to obtain. And if you try to make the bedrock breaker cheaper to solve this problem, you immediately run into problem #1.
Furthermore, because of this same dependency tiering, making one machine impossible to obtain will make everything else that depends on it also impossible to obtain, and the problem quickly spirals out of control.

Additionally, the techtree design of RotaryCraft goes beyond balance. It is explicitly and specifically designed such that progression is done through learning the various mechanics and processes. Furthermore, every tier is designed with the assumption that you have "legitimately" progressed through the previous tiers and now know and understand everything that was required, be it torque/speed manipulation, extreme heat generation, or anything else.
If the recipes are modified and a player gets to a machine without learning its prerequisites, one or both of the following will happen. If they are lucky, they will lack the understanding of how to run/manage the machine and it will simply fail to work, and they will become frustrated. If they are less lucky, they will succeed in activating the machine but not setting it up properly, and it will soon fail, usually violently.

Furthermore, as I have said time and time again, the reason I maintain a lock on things like minetweaker is because for every pack creator/server owner who wants to make a "legitimate" modification, there are ten or fifty users who go "let's ban machine X" or "let's make machine X for donators only" or "machine X is OP!" and who often make the decision before even installing the mod, let alone getting to know it well enough that the aforementioned RC techtree is even apparent. Additionally, as explained in #2, banning a machine has the side effect of indirectly functionally banning several others.

You may ask why I even care what happens to individual players or on individual servers.
The altruistic answer is that I do want my content to be enjoyed by the users; I want them to have fun playing RC and not spend time getting upset because of a problem that should have never happened.
The second, more personal answer, is that these things spread. More often than not, when a player has a machine fail to work, I am the first to hear about it, in the form of a "bug" report whose solution is something like "the machine must be at temperature X". This is depressingly common and wastes a great deal of my time, and makes it harder to identify legitimate bugs. It also leads to exasperation which more than once has manifested itself as responses that are less than polite.

It gets worse than that, too; if enough of the problems listed above start to happen, word soon starts to spread about how a machine is "bugged" or how "RotaryCraft is broken"/"way too hard"/"way too OP", or so on, and that manifests itself as a general negative attitude towards the mod, something I have seen before and wish never to repeat.

Leave Reika alone, he's porting to 1.7.
Aside from bugfixes, that was completed two weeks ago.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, not at all. It comes from my free will and my free will alone for a mod author (you !) whose work I enjoy greatly. No obligations implied or intended.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Aside from bugfixes, that was completed two weeks ago.
I follow your forum regularly and still managed to miss this. I thought you were still cleaning it up. Oops.

For the rest: in fairness, none of it addresses the fact that, say, a boring machine is locked into a specific, very-early point in the RoC progression, and the (few) mod-pack makers who do know what they're doing don't have the option to replace parts of it with higher-tier components.

(If you ever get incredibly bored, take a look at what Jason McCray did with the hundreds of recipes he has fine-tuned for the InfiTech pack. It is...its essentially a work of art.)

Edit: Saying the boring machine is very-early tier is pointless and relative. The problem is specific to packs where large-scale resource acquisition is supposed to be difficult. Ignore that.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Edit: Saying the boring machine is very-early tier is pointless and relative. The problem is specific to packs where large-scale resource acquisition is supposed to be difficult. Ignore that.
This brings me to another point, though. The stuff in RC that tends to unbalance other mods - mining, farming, and ore duplication - is nothing particularly new. The implementations are, but the BC quarry has been around since something like beta 1.8, PowerCraft, MFR and other mods have had farming for as long as they existed, and IC2 started the macerator before I even knew what MC was (I joined in b1.8.1, and only tried mods some months later, and not big mods until 1.4.7). Yet they are now seen as normal, and few people see the need to "balance them". Why, then, are my machines fundamentally different? It almost makes it seem like people complain not because they want to modify something, but because they cannot, and I do not understand the concept of complaining about not getting something you do not want.

Last edited: