[1.6.4] InfiTech Modpack [GregTech/Galacticraft hard-mode modpack] - DISCONTINUED

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
Ok so why not make state detection system? Buildcraft gate next to the block where the rotor is stored. When the rotor is gone/at low durability, it will emit RS signal to somewhere (maybe industrial alarm) to let you know that you should go and check the turbine?

Reactions: Grove

Grove

Jul 29, 2019
See it's things like this that I NEVER think of. I would have just kept checking it manually.
Little fixes or work around a like this always allude me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
One problem is, that there is no way on how to see if turbine needs maintenance, but maybe you can set up the BUD (block update detector) next to the turbine control block.

Grove

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah it's gonna need some testing but I get what you mean. Hopefully this will make it easier for people on 1.6, I'm no where near that on 1.7!!!

Grove

Jul 29, 2019
I've only got a small steam turbine, I've not even experimented with the larger ones.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
If the durability runs out on the rotor they explode. I tested this on single player and it made a god-almighty crater!! If you have it in your base like many people will do and your not checking it every 5 mins to see if it needs maintenance or a new rotor you are screwed.

I'd like to think Greg has an Internet bot written to check all MC forums, and he chuckles everytime he learns of his GT turbine leaving a crater in someone's base. As least Greg is enjoying it.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Why is noone considering Dimensional Transceivers for stuffteleportation across dimensions. Its much more awesome than GT Tesseract :D

Oh, for sure. The Iridium, though....good God. It takes roughly 30 Iridium ore to build just *1*, and you need at least 2 to do anything decent with. A 63x63 quarry from the top down *might* pull up 1 or 2 pieces of Iridium. Then, my 512 EU/t Mass Fabricator setup makes about 10 to 15 per day, when constantly supplied with scrap. So, that's like 4 days for my first pair of these.

The GT Tesseracts, however, are much cheaper in terms of Iridium. And, they've had a huge bang for the buck in terms of time. I don't have to micromanage my quarries anymore. I can just dump all output back into my ME system, and the only quarry maintenance is swapping the Ender IO Capacitors.

But, am looking forward to the Ender IO DTs when I can build them. I imagine they will be the biggest Iridium outlay until GT Fusion.[DOUBLEPOST=1408708682][/DOUBLEPOST]
Steam Turbines are completely different in 1.7

Oh ? Do tell !

Is GT Wiki accurate ? It (still) says:

"Warning: If the Turbine Rotor breaks while the Turbine is active, the Turbine will explode."

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, for sure. The Iridium, though....good God. It takes roughly 30 Iridium ore to build just *1*, and you need at least 2 to do anything decent with. A 63x63 quarry from the top down *might* pull up 1 or 2 pieces of Iridium. Then, my 512 EU/t Mass Fabricator setup makes about 10 to 15 per day, when constantly supplied with scrap. So, that's like 4 days for my first pair of these.

The GT Tesseracts, however, are much cheaper in terms of Iridium. And, they've had a huge bang for the buck in terms of time. I don't have to micromanage my quarries anymore. I can just dump all output back into my ME system, and the only quarry maintenance is swapping the Ender IO Capacitors.

But, am looking forward to the Ender IO DTs when I can build them. I imagine they will be the biggest Iridium outlay until GT Fusion.

Well with eIO Transceiver you can transmit anything (liquid, items, RF energy - you can power up your quarry directly, and transmit power on the same frequency), thats why it is bit more expensive. GTTesseracts can't transmit power (if I am not mistaken)

Reactions: MigukNamja

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Well with eIO Transceiver you can transmit anything (liquid, items, RF energy - you can power up your quarry directly, and transmit power on the same frequency), thats why it is bit more expensive. GTTesseracts can't transmit power (if I am not mistaken)

Yeah, the eIO Transceiver is pretty damn spiffy. I *may* have enough Iridium when I get home today to build one(1), but won't be useful until I have a 2nd one. Goal tonight is increasing IC2 power and scaling up my recycling and UU-gen.

I haven't *tried* sending power over the GT Tesseracts, but I doubt they will. The GT method of sending power through the aether is IDSU, but that's IC2 power only. But, just the item teleportation power of the GT Tesseracts has been a huge boon to my progression.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
So...I've reached the point where progression seems to require large quantities of Iridium, which seems to require (mostly) UU-matter, which in turns requires a lot of 24/7 power, and that power has to be EU and not steam or RF/MJ.

Power
I'm currently at~5,000 MB/t of raw steam, fed into mainly a BigReactors Turbine for RF (MJ), fed into four(4) RC Steam Turbines for 800 MJ/t, and into a lot of GregTech machines directly (they have the steam upgrade). I'm fine with RF/MJ and fine with steam for machines directly. However, UU-matter is a different story. It requires EU.

Even with 800 EU/t from RC steam turbines. plus another 300 EU/t from RTGs (indoor solar panels, basically), I can only power a single Mass Fabricator 24/7 and have power left over for ore/materials processing.

UU-Matter
To make a fusion reactor within a week of 24/7 server chunkloaded operation, I figure I need about 2,000 EU/t, which will require a lot more RC steam turbines and even more raw steam production. I think I'm doing fine with chrome. I have ~15 centrifuges running 24/7 making Ruby Dust from redstone. Making empty cells take a f*ck-ton of Tin, though. My bees are very busy, but will need to get busier to make even more tin.

I'm also doing well with recycling. I have 20 recyclers running 24/7, making way more scrap than what I need. But, I'll need to scale it up further to make even more scrap if I want to add more Mass Fabs.

Spam
At this point, progression seems to require spamming even more:
  • RC Boilers
  • RC Steam Turbines
  • IC2 Recyclers
  • IC2 Mass Fabricators
  • Tin Production (for empty cells) for Ruby Dust

What Next ?
Am I doing this wrong ? Is there an easier way to get to Fusion in this pack ? For instance, should I be flying around The End, harvesting Sheldonite ? I ran 4 full-size quarries in parallel in The End on the main island, chewing up a significant portion of it, and only got maybe ~2 stacks of Sheldonite, which was only ~14 or so Iridium out of the Iridium nuggets. A single Mass Fab. running 24/7 makes more Iridium ore than that.

Or, is this simply the way GT is supposed to be ? I'm fairly OCD, but I'm not sure I have the patience or OCD to see this through spamming more power, recyclers, Mass Fabs, etc.,. and have fun doing it.

Note I haven't made a serious attempt at GC because of the Iridium requirements. Are there huge quantities of Iridium on the Moon or on Mars ?

Reactions: Pyure

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
I have no idea what to say... I am quite noobish when it comes to GT "high-end" so I will leave the answer on others :) but one thing i can say.

Going to Moon or Mars is "pointless" its only for aesthetic reasons. But.... in 1.7 GC has added one more place to explore: Asteroids, which contains good ammout of Ilmenite (Titanium), so there is a chance that some planet will host some Iridium ores, but I hope in not flippin' huge quantities, or at least bit configurable.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
So...I've reached the point where progression seems to require large quantities of Iridium, which seems to require (mostly) UU-matter, which in turns requires a lot of 24/7 power, and that power has to be EU and not steam or RF/MJ.

Power
I'm currently at~5,000 MB/t of raw steam, fed into mainly a BigReactors Turbine for RF (MJ), fed into four(4) RC Steam Turbines for 800 MJ/t, and into a lot of GregTech machines directly (they have the steam upgrade). I'm fine with RF/MJ and fine with steam for machines directly. However, UU-matter is a different story. It requires EU.

Even with 800 EU/t from RC steam turbines. plus another 300 EU/t from RTGs (indoor solar panels, basically), I can only power a single Mass Fabricator 24/7 and have power left over for ore/materials processing.

UU-Matter
To make a fusion reactor within a week of 24/7 server chunkloaded operation, I figure I need about 2,000 EU/t, which will require a lot more RC steam turbines and even more raw steam production. I think I'm doing fine with chrome. I have ~15 centrifuges running 24/7 making Ruby Dust from redstone. Making empty cells take a f*ck-ton of Tin, though. My bees are very busy, but will need to get busier to make even more tin.

I'm also doing well with recycling. I have 20 recyclers running 24/7, making way more scrap than what I need. But, I'll need to scale it up further to make even more scrap if I want to add more Mass Fabs.

Spam
At this point, progression seems to require spamming even more:
  • RC Boilers
  • RC Steam Turbines
  • IC2 Recyclers
  • IC2 Mass Fabricators
  • Tin Production (for empty cells) for Ruby Dust

What Next ?
Am I doing this wrong ? Is there an easier way to get to Fusion in this pack ? For instance, should I be flying around The End, harvesting Sheldonite ? I ran 4 full-size quarries in parallel in The End on the main island, chewing up a significant portion of it, and only got maybe ~2 stacks of Sheldonite, which was only ~14 or so Iridium out of the Iridium nuggets. A single Mass Fab. running 24/7 makes more Iridium ore than that.

Or, is this simply the way GT is supposed to be ? I'm fairly OCD, but I'm not sure I have the patience or OCD to see this through spamming more power, recyclers, Mass Fabs, etc.,. and have fun doing it.

Note I haven't made a serious attempt at GC because of the Iridium requirements. Are there huge quantities of Iridium on the Moon or on Mars ?

Lots of good stuff to discuss here.

I just learned about RTGs last night btw. I'm embarassed to say that, it would have been useful slightly more early-game. If BR-RCTurbine gets nerfed in next version, I'll probably use RTGs at that point in a new world.

Have you looked into MOX reactors?

This one apparently produces 1000eu/t. I dunno if it requires iridium. That said, you might wanna look into fission (not fusion) as your next step. You're likely swimming in uranium (I have stacks of the stuff)

I almost want to recommend diesel generators, but you may not be excited about the 8 eu/t (on the other hand, they run forever on a single nitro-diesel cell, producing 400k eu each)

I don't understand your link between GC and iridium. I'm on the moon; I don't recall it costing me much if any iridium. (I forget if I spent any iridium at all). What it did cost me a metric ton of is gunpowder. So much gunpowder to get those GC plates through the implosion compressor. I haven't figured out the moon yet. I gather I should try to find a dungeon or something.

For your cells: centrifuging ruby dust gives you cells as a byproduct. I forget what they're called, but they're used in the industrial grinder to get better returns on copper/gold/etc. If you're swimming in that stuff, just empty some of the cells (via the extractor).

You may even be able to store the liquid in a tank of some sort, I forget. Hrm. Either way, you should be recycling the cells. And make those cells via the extruder, its faster.[DOUBLEPOST=1408974876][/DOUBLEPOST]
I have no idea what to say... I am quite noobish when it comes to GT "high-end" so I will leave the answer on others :) but one thing i can say.

Going to Moon or Mars is "pointless" its only for aesthetic reasons. But.... in 1.7 GC has added one more place to explore: Asteroids, which contains good ammout of Ilmenite (Titanium), so there is a chance that some planet will host some Iridium ores, but I hope in not flippin' huge quantities, or at least bit configurable.
I thought Mars was required to get Drones working (desh), or did you change that?

Btw I still absolutely think having drones be mars-dependant is a bit unfortunate. Drones would have been really fun early-mid game, but now I'm running out of reasons to use them.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
@Pyure

Thanks for the hints and advice. Can the MOX reactors be automated ? If so, I'll gladly switch / add a couple. Yes, I have tons of Uranium and can easily get more.

And, for the mercury cells, I haven't figured out a way to simply empty them out. I tried an RC tank, and it consumes the cells when it empties them out. The canning machine doesn't support them, either, like it does most other filled cells. I've only been able to empty them out by processing them with ores like copper and gold.

However, I haven't tried the *Extractor*. Stupid me. I think of the Extractor as for making rubber from sticky and that's about it. I'll try the Extractor tonight.

If that doesn't work, I need tons of crap like random stone/cobblestone to make into scrap anyways, so adding quarries to may daily maintenance routine is perhaps necessary.

As for GC, I may have been getting confused with MMPS, which require a lot of Iridium for the Ion Thrusters for flight. I was looking at the recipes at the same time. I will give GC a more serious attempt. Thanks for pointing that out.

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
I thought Mars was required to get Drones working (desh), or did you change that?

Btw I still absolutely think having drones be mars-dependant is a bit unfortunate. Drones would have been really fun early-mid game, but now I'm running out of reasons to use them.

We had a talk about it with my testers, and we came to conclusion, that its really too much expensive. In 1.6.4 it will stay like it is (you can disable the recipe change inside minetweaker scripts) and in 1.7.x it will probably require just Stainless Steel or something along these lines.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
We had a talk about it with my testers, and we came to conclusion, that its really too much expensive. In 1.6.4 it will stay like it is (you can disable the recipe change inside minetweaker scripts) and in 1.7.x it will probably require just Stainless Steel or something along these lines.
Stainless steel makes a ton of sense.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
On another note, I've arrived at the conclusion that either one or both of the following is true:

A) The BigReactor actively-cooled reactors consume way too much water
B) BigReactor steam turbines produce about 2.5x more power than they should

BigReactors assumes that 1 mB of water and 1 mB of steam are the same quantity. In an actively-cooled reactors, it requires 2000 mB/t of water to make 2000 mB/t of steam. Then, you get back 2000 mB/t of water when you put 2000 mB/t of steam into a turbine. That's fine and all for BigReactors in a closed loop, but it doesn't jive with the other mods. I don't know how much water Railcraft and GregTech use when they make steam, but it's far, far, far less. A single eIO Reservoir can easily keep up with 5 or more 36HP boilers making a total of over 3,500 mB/t of steam. Good luck trying to supply a BigReactors actively-cooled reactor with anything short of a massive eIO Reservoir farm. You pretty much have to run closed-loop in BigReactors in this pack.

I put the responsibility upon BigReactors for this. It came to the modded MC party well after Railcraft, GregTech, Factorization, Thermal Expansion, etc., that all make and/or consume steam and seem to balance well with each other.

What this means is 3x 36HP RC Boilers can easily supply over 2000 mB/t of steam to a single RC Turbine, and said RC turbine can make well over 20k RF/t, which is all the (direct) RF power you need in this pack, IMHO.

Compare that against native Railcraft using Industrial Steam engines, and you have:

Railcraft : ~430 MJ/t total from 3x 36HP boilers and 54x Industrial Steam Engines
BigReactors : ~2,500 MJ/t total from 3x 36HP boilers and 1x turbine

That's almost a factor of 10 there. I'm fine with the BigReactors turbine being more efficient, but not nearly 10x more efficient. Rather, if it made just roughly double the power from the same steam, that would seem balanced., i.e.:

BigReactors : ~1,000 MJ/t total from 3x 36HP boilers

Possible Solution
In config/BigReactors/BigReactors.cfg, there seems to be only 1 knob to turn. Here's the BigReactors.cfg currently in the pack:

general {
B:enableComedy=true
B:enableMetallurgyFantasyMetalsInTurbines=false
D:fuelUsageMultiplier=6.0
I:maxReactorHeight=32
I:maxReactorSize=16
I:maxTurbineHeight=32
I:maxTurbineSize=16
D:powerProductionMultiplier=1.5
B:registerCreativeMultiblockParts=true
I:ticksPerRedstoneUpdate=20
}

...and balancing the RF/t from the turbine would require something like so:

D:powerProductionMultiplier=0.6

However, this will affect passively-cooled reactors as well, and if those get nerfed by 2.5x, they would almost be pointless. They'd be simply a (required) stepping stone to the turbine, then you'd shutter it after you made enough cyanite, which would be annoying.

Something else I'd like to see is a way of converting RF to EU, even if it's 1MJ : 1EU. GT machines that support that "upgrade" convert 1 MJ to 1 EU, but not on the dang Mass. Fabricator where you really need the massive power. Ideally, BigReactors would output a configurable (tweakable) amount of EU/t as an option, but it's native RF only. Not sure how to do this short of @power crystals / @Skyboy 's Power Convertors mod, which wouldn't fit well in general, in this pack, IMHO.[DOUBLEPOST=1408977082][/DOUBLEPOST]
Stainless steel makes a ton of sense.

Stainless is a good gate, indeed. Need Industrial Blast Furnace and you can't make it in mass quantities until late game.[DOUBLEPOST=1408977135][/DOUBLEPOST]
btw, how on earth are you producing enough water for all that steam?

RC Boilers. Compared to a BigReactors actively-cooled reactor, they barely sip water. See above (obviously).

I'll also add that moving that steam is super-easy with eIO Fluid Conduits. Their limit is per connection. Like TE3 ducts, they calculate per connector and not per "network". They also have a much smaller limit on extraction than insertion. I'm not sure there is a limit on insertion.

My standard solution is 8x Pressurized (mid-tier) Fluid Conduits on top of each 36HP boiler, a single line running to my base or turbine, and then as many BigReactors Fluid Ports as I need on my BR turbine. Much cheaper, easier, smaller, and neater-looking than GT Tungenstensteel pipes.

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The boss has already jigged those numbers quite a bit (including fuel-usage)

Personally I find them a bit too lenient.

I've also reported the unfortunate discrepancies between mods in water/steam handling before. You're right that a conversion from rf->eu would solve that problem, but it would also make BR even more OP (and render IC fission completely useless)

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I've also reported the unfortunate discrepancies between mods in water/steam handling before.

Ah, that's right. I remember those posts now in a different thread. Logically, when water expands into steam, it requires a lot more volume. Hence, it should *not* require 1 mB of water to make 1 mB of steam. And, indeed, most other mods that came before BigReactors seem to agree. I can't imagine running Railcraft boilers with just Railcraft alone (no other mods) in a world without infinite water. You couldn't build enough wooden water tanks to keep up.

You're right that a conversion from rf->eu would solve that problem, but it would also make BR even more OP (and render IC fission completely useless)

Also true. I'm just personally disappointed with IC2 in general in 1.6.4 . In most areas, it's a step backwards from where it was in 1.5.2 .