[1.6.4]Crash Landing [Hardcore, HQM] version 1.1.x BETA STABLE

schpeelah

Jul 29, 2019
i did that because it makes literally no sense. just because you have eaten something a hundred times, doesn't make it's base nutritional value any less for the body. this mechanic is completely counter to how food works, so i disabled it.
On the contrary. Minecraft food runs contrary to how food works, and Spice of Life restores realism partially. IRL if you keep eating terrible food, you will eventually get malnutrition or even starve. But that can happen over a period of days or weeks. Minecraft uses a food abstraction that goes up and down in a matter of minutes. Eating cooked worms will get you something, but eating nothing but nothing but will get yourself killed. Spice of Life has the goal of encouraging the player to eat varied food, which is realistic, as opposed to the default Minecraft behavior of eating one thing ad infinitum because you have enough of it. Spice of Life made getting carrots and potatoes from zombies an important game goal for me, when I would be otherwise be perfectly able to survive on nothing but rice.

Last edited:

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
On the contrary. Minecraft food runs contrary to how food works, and Spice of Life restores realism partially. IRL if you keep eating terrible food, you will eventually get malnutrition or even starve. But that can happen over a period of days or weeks. Minecraft uses a food abstraction that goes up and down in a matter of minutes. Eating cooked worms will get you something, but eating nothing but nothing but will get yourself killed. Spice of Life has the goal of encouraging the player to eat varied food, which is realistic, as opposed to the default Minecraft behavior of eating one thing ad infinitum because you have enough of it.

I eat Supreme Pizza all day. Every day. My food choices are bad and I should feel bad [eats another Supreme Pizza].

schpeelah

Jul 29, 2019
I eat Supreme Pizza all day. Every day. My food choices are bad and I should feel bad [eats another Supreme Pizza].
I don't know the recipe off the top of my head, but don't you make your pizza Supreme by adding a bunch of vegetables to it?

Besides, this is a diet of a modern man. For all the cholesterol (not such a concern with the daily workout your character is getting) it's still healthier than roots and salted zombie flesh.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
actually pizza in general would not necessarily be a horrible way to balance a diet as long as you where active enough to put the fat and carbs to propper use. It would be shy on vegetable matter, but if your supreme ingredients where varied enough you should get enough micro-nutrients.

Olafski

Jul 29, 2019
Regardless of how realistic it is, disabling a very integral mechanic of the map and then making claims about things being easy makes no sense. Iskandar meant for the map to be played this way, so if you're going to deviate from it there is no value to your claims.

But as I think people have had this discussion a few days ago this'll be the last I say on the subject =)

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
honestly the spice of life should model the food triangle, so a wholesome meal can be the only thing you eat (besides the water)

it allows a early game grind (though you'd need to provide each food group and then model the combination in meals)

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
honestly the spice of life should model the food triangle, so a wholesome meal can be the only thing you eat (besides the water)

it allows a early game grind (though you'd need to provide each food group and then model the combination in meals)
While not the food triangle, by any means, SoL does allow for a single food to be eaten ad infinitum at high enough nutritional value. In my case, I 'beat' the food game with Bacon Cheeseburgers, which requires only 2 crops.

verniu

Jul 29, 2019
i think i found a bug or something whit the clay bucket, when you use a clay bucket in a source of acid the bucket change to an iron bucket.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019

I would discourage a mod maker designating what they think balanced meals should be. The topic is simply to controversial. That said every serious dietition suggests keeping your diet varied, even if they disagree where the majority of nutrients should be sourced.

Even the high protein diets encourage the consumption of non-starchy veg along side the heaps of meat.

If I where to make SOL more realistic I would combine food items into food groups.... adding a log requiring you to eat foods from multiple groups on a regular basis.

Id also take high value foods and have them count several times based on the number of haunches they provide. a delux hamber might be one carb, one meat, and one veg.

That said, I thinks its functional as is.

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
While not the food triangle, by any means, SoL does allow for a single food to be eaten ad infinitum at high enough nutritional value. In my case, I 'beat' the food game with Bacon Cheeseburgers, which requires only 2 crops.

Even though it requires more crops, I went with the Supreme Pizza because it only requires one soy.

More to the point...

Do the PC assembly mechanisms remind anyone of Bruce Dern's companion robots from 'Silent Running' or more recently 'Iron Man' franchise?

Edit: spelling, grammar and correct actor

Last edited:

schpeelah

Jul 29, 2019
If I where to make SOL more realistic I would combine food items into food groups.... adding a log requiring you to eat foods from multiple groups on a regular basis.
SoL actually does have a food groups option, but Iskandar didn't enable it.

SReject

Jul 29, 2019
Q: Is there a way to get seeds for wheat? On creating life, got me a few cows, and want to breed them.

Shane2482

Jul 29, 2019
IMHO, it would be a mistake to port CL to 1.7.10 at this stage. Or indeed to port CL v1 to 1.7.10 at all.

As well as all that grief (and I think you've only touched the surface of the balancing issues), you would be working with alpha- and beta- quality mods, and I think you are seriously underestimating the trouble the bugs in 1.7.10 mods would cause you!

And on top of that, if you want a bug fix from one of these mods, you get all the new features along with it. New features which in a lot of cases would mean re-evaluation and re-balancing of the pack.

The great advantage 1.6.4 has at present is that the mods are all mature and stable, and reasonably bug free. You of course are hitting a few edge-case bugs because you are pushing both MC and the mods beyond their intended use cases. But the pack is amazingly well balanced and stable despite this.

Anyway,
KeepOnDigging!
Tnks for the support for CL 1.6 said it befor but the way i see it is why do a ground up remodel of a pack this close to finish and this balanced on a razor edge just to break it all. This way when he does move to 1.7 he can focus on a whole new map and chalanges

SReject

Jul 29, 2019
you need to hoe un-watered grass with the mattock. it's a rarish drop

edit adze to mattock very similiar tools.
Can't find a recipe for the adze in NEI. What mod is it from?

If what you meant, was mallock, that's what I've been doing, have a diamond chest full of seeds for various crops, just no plain ol' vanilla wheat seeds

try2bcool

Jul 29, 2019

If what you meant, was mallock, that's what I've been doing, have a diamond chest full of seeds for various crops, just no plain ol' vanilla wheat seeds

You just bonemeal the grass and break the tall grass that pops up to get wheat seeds, just like vanilla.

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
You just bonemeal the grass and break the tall grass that pops up to get wheat seeds, just like vanilla.

This is wrong. Just wrong. You'll never get wheat seeds this way. Only way is hoeing/mattock right-click grass blocks.

Welcome to the 'I'm RNG's Bitch' Club. KY is on the table over there -->.