[1.6.4]Crash Landing [Hardcore, HQM] version 1.1.x BETA STABLE

Sales_Kital

Jul 29, 2019
I can dig it, i guess my point is that most everyone has been able to progress despite these changes, so I have a hard time classifying it as overkill. to me overkill is game-breaking, as in, no way to move forward. i wont lie, going to the city to get going on ore doubling is harsh, but that's the point of the pack, and it's still doable if you're careful and patient. Plus you can make it without ore doubling for a long time, probably forever if necessary, but no one wants to grind that much because everyone operates under the delusion that the early game phase should end after you get your first tool. This ain't vanilla baby!

If the spawnrates were lowered a bit or there were fewer spawners, or both, I'd say it was good. As it stands, I can barely survive with the number of mobs spawning, far too many beeing creepers who kill me instantly even in the low tier armor I'm able to get. I go outside on day 2, I'm basically dead if I don't get lucky.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
First, comments / gripes / grousing (about grout, etc): Ever had to work in a vacuum? It's not pleasant. Either with yes men or no team, you need to be devil's advocate for everything which takes it's toll on you. Us griping about content changes matters. I go over the top sometimes, but it's genuinely how I feel. Another pack that I don't care about? Yeah, you won't hear me complaining about it cause I have no vested interest. This is a real fun pack, so we're not DEMANDING anything, we're complaining to get our voices heard. that's it. Iskandar makes final decisions and if his decision is different than ours so be it. If we feel that strong about a setting or something, we can change it each time after update. I think every complainer has heaped praise on the pack at some point in time or another.

Second, special mobs: As far as the mobs are concerned, except for those damn baby skel thief mobs and the pig zombie vampire ones, I've been able to handle or be handled by the rest throughout. Wall off base, even if you do, spiders get in. plank/fence your wall, no spiders. yay. now we have flying mobs with ghasts (saw my first one this morning pick up a skel then drop him [TOO HEAVY OFF!] to his death which was funny). There is no safety within your base unless you glass dome it or something. Then you got ender creepers and special endermen. I wouldn't say there's every any safety, but you need to just be able to react and run like hell somewhere. If it's an ender creeper, you might want to run outside your base or go sleep or who knows. but there's no absolute safety within base, and I think that is best for this pack (until something bad happens to me then I reserve the right to bitch and moan and demand change :) ).

The city: I didn't goto city at beginning. I think it was day 20 or more? I now use infogamexl so if I was, I'd be more precise. I had wood armor, the gun with about 2-3 clips. A slightly leveled dagger and got pwned in first building because I was unprepared for the ferocity at which those pigs come out and shoot at you and stab at you and errrr moving on. I came back with a spare set of armor in case I "soiled" the first. I met my first blaze got heatstroke and nearly died. Both initial forays I used zans to zip back and forth since I was so nope. I setup camp in one building and built a ton of chests, used the elevators to get up there and lit both up/downstairs as well as close off holes. put door on it with pressure plate so it acted as mini base. Brought water bottles, setup furnace, brought 2 stacks of dirt, etc... brought a bed and from there was able to use that as base but night time beeline to that base as quick as possible. You get stuck out there at night and a world of hurt is waiting for you. Be sure to have a sync shell setup back at real base and prepare for when sync ports you into a wall so use aromabackup occassionally (set to 24 hours if need be, then manually run a backup by saving/exiting game if you want less cheaty.

I get a knapsack early on. After I got a bunch of gold nugs, I was able to make a golden bag of holding or two. Fill those up as often as possible with everything, don't count loot while out in city, just grab grab grab. Come back sleep, repeat. As you block off areas and destroy spawners, those become alot less hostile during day. Make a hang glider, use it to get to inaccessible spots or pillar up.

I have a full stack of ammo or more, now. Look at post page or two back from last night at loot. That is the noteworthy and morvy stuff only. I have probably 4-5 double chests of other stuff that basically allows me to skip alot of grinding back at base, etc..

Oh yeah, food. I got grapes, peanuts, soy, and rice in a 4x4. I finally got a potato too so I setup a farm for that and onions but was only able to make 4 different foods which I would go through while looting.

Your first priority is to use that invar to make anything, even boots, so you can get some fire protection enchants on them, then the blazes aren't so bad anymore.

Now, if you decide to play podonnel style, just walk into middle of city, take off your armor, drop your weapons, curse at the pigs and lack of a donut shop and duke it out mano y mano and slurp the marrow from their bones. get the adulation from their women and babies or whatever, I forget the quote :)

ME? I wear nikes and will switch out to my puma's in a pinch. I RUN LIKE THE WIND away from everything and anything. Normally, if I play MC, an errant skel hits me as I'm bedding for the night, I'll go out there amongst him and his buds and destroy him for the insult. Now? meh. so what. I'll be making broth out of your cousin tonight, so yeah, PBBBBTTTTTTT!

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
The only spawner like that in the area was a normal creeper one

A spawner doesn't spawn special mobs in itself. It spawns mobtype: creeper. Special mobs put's it's secret sauce over it (RNGCH dressing perhaps?) and says give a normal creeper, or give an atomic creeper or a creeper on megan's list.... So, those spawners can spawn anything of that type. NBT not necessary.

Shin Sekai

Jul 29, 2019
The way I see it, you shouldn't go to the city asap with junk armor and just your initial needlegun ammo and a weak sword/knife. You should wait until you have a set of iron or invar armor, a dozen or two clips of needlegun ammo and some extra camel packs and mid to upper-tier food. There is no rush. You really don't need double/triple ore processing first to get all of this.

Reactions: XxWinnslowxX

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
If the spawnrates were lowered a bit or there were fewer spawners, or both, I'd say it was good. As it stands, I can barely survive with the number of mobs spawning, far too many beeing creepers who kill me instantly even in the low tier armor I'm able to get. I go outside on day 2, I'm basically dead if I don't get lucky.

watch some let's plays. First day priorities (now moreso than ever) are important and can predict what your first week is like. It's pretty damn stressfull but then evens out. I think your first day, then the next 2 not so much, but the first 3 days are the only times you really have a "clock" guiding your actions since you have so many focii. Water, food, enclosure (i.e. safety), for me, bed so I can goto sleep as soon as they start coming at me, but I end up getting a bed by third day I think. Lighting up as much as you can, getting charcoal to do it with, balancing what wood you use for charcoal vs building / crafting, choosing your water, etc... It's a bit nerve wracking, but after the first couple of days, I'd say 3-4, you should have a meticulous pattern that you follow till you buildup some infrastructure. Once you start farming and getting a good set of food for when the SOL timer kicks in, you should be set. see above post for rest, but yeah, if you fail miserably first day or so in one area or another, it's a domino affect and you will die, badly. Choose hard path and die too much? Don't choose hard path. Restart when you have a good plan of action and go hard route when you want. I choose easy this time since I wanted a sync shell up front since I expected to die. I might play again later on hard but yeah, user preference.

Btw, morning for me in radar? The ratio of creepers to me is just too big! :} They are EVERYWHERE. I go out on the wall and call them names like clyde and boris. They follow, I lead them AWAY from walls and try my best to prick them with a pointy stick till they explode or whatever. Also, if a skel is nearby, it's always fun to keep a creeper or zombie in between you and his line of sight and watch the insanity from a distance. Reminds me of all the family thanksgivings. ahh memories.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Ok, the Crash Landing website is progressing.

http://crashlanding.wildwestscifi.net/

The Mods, Credits, and the start of the YouTube sections are in place. The art assets...eh, not so much.

Speaking of the YouTube section. Now I'm not limited to 5 videos, I can now feature more LPers and such. Take a look at what I have, and if I missed you let me know. My head is still a bit wooly from 1.1.2 so I know I missed a few of you. If you just want to be added, that works too.

Reactions: pc_assassin

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
Lol, what gave the impression I walk into the city naked, I like challenge, but I overcome challenge with preperation..... not necessarily rampant agression...lol

itsgmack

Jul 29, 2019
First, comments / gripes / grousing (about grout, etc): Ever had to work in a vacuum? It's not pleasant. Either with yes men or no team, you need to be devil's advocate for everything which takes it's toll on you. Us griping about content changes matters. I go over the top sometimes, but it's genuinely how I feel. Another pack that I don't care about? Yeah, you won't hear me complaining about it cause I have no vested interest. This is a real fun pack, so we're not DEMANDING anything, we're complaining to get our voices heard. that's it. Iskandar makes final decisions and if his decision is different than ours so be it. If we feel that strong about a setting or something, we can change it each time after update. I think every complainer has heaped praise on the pack at some point in time or another.

Second, special mobs: As far as the mobs are concerned, except for those damn baby skel thief mobs and the pig zombie vampire ones, I've been able to handle or be handled by the rest throughout. Wall off base, even if you do, spiders get in. plank/fence your wall, no spiders. yay. now we have flying mobs with ghasts (saw my first one this morning pick up a skel then drop him [TOO HEAVY OFF!] to his death which was funny). There is no safety within your base unless you glass dome it or something. Then you got ender creepers and special endermen. I wouldn't say there's every any safety, but you need to just be able to react and run like hell somewhere. If it's an ender creeper, you might want to run outside your base or go sleep or who knows. but there's no absolute safety within base, and I think that is best for this pack (until something bad happens to me then I reserve the right to bitch and moan and demand change :) ).

The city: I didn't goto city at beginning. I think it was day 20 or more? I now use infogamexl so if I was, I'd be more precise. I had wood armor, the gun with about 2-3 clips. A slightly leveled dagger and got pwned in first building because I was unprepared for the ferocity at which those pigs come out and shoot at you and stab at you and errrr moving on. I came back with a spare set of armor in case I "soiled" the first. I met my first blaze got heatstroke and nearly died. Both initial forays I used zans to zip back and forth since I was so nope. I setup camp in one building and built a ton of chests, used the elevators to get up there and lit both up/downstairs as well as close off holes. put door on it with pressure plate so it acted as mini base. Brought water bottles, setup furnace, brought 2 stacks of dirt, etc... brought a bed and from there was able to use that as base but night time beeline to that base as quick as possible. You get stuck out there at night and a world of hurt is waiting for you. Be sure to have a sync shell setup back at real base and prepare for when sync ports you into a wall so use aromabackup occassionally (set to 24 hours if need be, then manually run a backup by saving/exiting game if you want less cheaty.

I get a knapsack early on. After I got a bunch of gold nugs, I was able to make a golden bag of holding or two. Fill those up as often as possible with everything, don't count loot while out in city, just grab grab grab. Come back sleep, repeat. As you block off areas and destroy spawners, those become alot less hostile during day. Make a hang glider, use it to get to inaccessible spots or pillar up.

I have a full stack of ammo or more, now. Look at post page or two back from last night at loot. That is the noteworthy and morvy stuff only. I have probably 4-5 double chests of other stuff that basically allows me to skip alot of grinding back at base, etc..

Oh yeah, food. I got grapes, peanuts, soy, and rice in a 4x4. I finally got a potato too so I setup a farm for that and onions but was only able to make 4 different foods which I would go through while looting.

Your first priority is to use that invar to make anything, even boots, so you can get some fire protection enchants on them, then the blazes aren't so bad anymore.

Now, if you decide to play podonnel style, just walk into middle of city, take off your armor, drop your weapons, curse at the pigs and lack of a donut shop and duke it out mano y mano and slurp the marrow from their bones. get the adulation from their women and babies or whatever, I forget the quote :)

ME? I wear nikes and will switch out to my puma's in a pinch. I RUN LIKE THE WIND away from everything and anything. Normally, if I play MC, an errant skel hits me as I'm bedding for the night, I'll go out there amongst him and his buds and destroy him for the insult. Now? meh. so what. I'll be making broth out of your cousin tonight, so yeah, PBBBBTTTTTTT!

I get your point man, and believe it or not i've read most of the comments in this forum over the last 2 or 3 days (i get downtime at work in like 14.3 minute spurts at complete random so this has been great for filling that) and i certainly don't have a problem with wanting to be heard. feedback allows for progress. i've even read most of YOUR comments and agree with a number of them, and also love a nice porkwich ;). it just looks like a lot of bickering without much point. that's the internet for you i guess, maybe its naive of me to think that people know the difference between constructive criticism and belligerent cry-babying. Some comments are good honest feedback, others are just crying about a failed world (did you expect to beat this without dying? i've started over more times than i can count) or some kink in their "plan" that forces them to deviate from the exact progression they are most comfortable with (let's be honest, being uncomfortable is THE POINT). I feel like an evangelist now so I'm done. I prefer lurking anyway :)

Reactions: Shane2482

Genshou

Jul 29, 2019
A spawner doesn't spawn special mobs in itself. It spawns mobtype: creeper. Special mobs put's it's secret sauce over it (RNGCH dressing perhaps?) and says give a normal creeper, or give an atomic creeper or a creeper on megan's list.... So, those spawners can spawn anything of that type. NBT not necessary.
That should still follow spawn weighting as set in the config, if not altogether using the outright disabling of special mob types.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
Lol, what gave the impression I walk into the city naked, I like challenge, but I overcome challenge with preperation..... not necessarily rampant agression...lol

c'mon. we're all friends here. :) hehe I know where the bodies are buried and I can see the blood stains on your overalls. ok?

FraniXMC

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any way to re-craft seared bricks?
I have not completed the Tinker Steelworks quest.
I'm using the 1.1.1 version map.

Thanks.

Anesos

Jul 29, 2019
Wow this thread moves so fast. Everyone loves the pack! :)

Not to push any buttons... but I saw 1.1.3 mentioned in the past few pages. Thinking of that in days / weeks / months timeframe Iskandar? Was just thinking about getting a LP started on 1.1.2 but might wait for .3 if it makes sense.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
I get your point man, and believe it or not i've read most of the comments in this forum over the last 2 or 3 days (i get downtime at work in like 14.3 minute spurts at complete random so this has been great for filling that) and i certainly don't have a problem with wanting to be heard. feedback allows for progress. i've even read most of YOUR comments and agree with a number of them, and also love a nice porkwich ;). it just looks like a lot of bickering without much point. that's the internet for you i guess, maybe its naive of me to think that people know the difference between constructive criticism and belligerent cry-babying. Some comments are good honest feedback, others are just crying about a failed world (did you expect to beat this without dying? i've started over more times than i can count) or some kink in their "plan" that forces them to deviate from the exact progression they are most comfortable with (let's be honest, being uncomfortable is THE POINT). I feel like an evangelist now so I'm done. I prefer lurking anyway :)

Once you cross over from lurking, it's hard to lurk anymore. I hear you, and I know I am the worst person I know when it comes to ranting. I don't hold myself above any of your criticism. I agree. I have been a cry baby at times. Again, it's cause I care about this and I'm a born pessimist. I see the worst in things at all times, thus, I feel that silence draws inevitability, and if you speak up, at least there's a chance for change. On numerous occasions, I've been told that I'm off base and accept that. That back and forth tho is very important (my POV, not iskandar, nor anyone else). Just me. I've done development and planned large network setups that affected multiple organizations in the past. There's nothing like giving a 30 minute presentation and asking questions for the project that will take the better part of the next year, and hear crickets chirping. 3-6 months down the line, suddenly you're hearing comments because people didn't think of planning beyond lunch and now that it affects them, they are panicking.

Thus, getting feedback is very important. At the top of the food chain, it's lonely at the top with the wind whistling by, creepers exploding in the distance, and you are seeing it from one perspective. Did iskandar put together this pack in silent mode, then crop out a final final version to be had and enjoyed by everyone? If this was true development, he would have. this isn't, and thus, he needs kooks like me to criticize, take with grain of salt, weigh against public opinion, and make judgement calls as to whether his pack is being appreciated or not and change things appropriately.

As opposed to eyamaz, where, if you complain about bnb, it's like southpark and the cable guys hehe... I jest. (psst, no serious, don't tell anyone, but that's exactly how it goes)....

You won't see me complaining in any thread more than this one on ftb proper. not even close. *sniff* It's cause I care SOOO much *sniff* that I just feel *grabs kleenex* if I don't *PBVVVVVVVSNORT* speak up *sniff*. well, This will be Crash and Burn Landing, the ultimate survival horror, we start you with a toothpick, you will have to use this to disembowel each creature, use their innards for storage and bedding, sleep inside a creeper corpse the night, mate with a creeper to make mini creeper-me's to create a log. *TM* NOW WITH GREGTECH *TM* *shudder*

Seriously tho. I feel some good points come across from this back and forth. Only 'the one who watches' *praise him* could speak of whether it helps or not, but from my perspective, he's taken us down paths that seem to be appropriate for the most part. Not all that I agree with mind you, but I will tell you this. I agree pretty much with all things he's done thus far even ones I complained about most vehemently. which is quite a surprise to me still. From the missing AA to the grout. I think he's done a swell job steering the ship he created. with toothpicks, some rubber bands, and an M60.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
Btw, from a post a few gigabytes back, I forgot to mention. I watched one of magzie's initial vids (the one where nothing worked -- hehe don't recall, but maybe your first CL one). Noticed he built UNDER the shuttle, something I hadn't even thought about doing, but makes the most sense since you have a roof and something other than dust above you, thus, you can hollow out a nice little area down there. You can use that as a good hidey hole and stick a bed to sleep in even if the mobs are everywhere, and if they are still too danger close, go down further. Watch out for squatters tho.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
Ok, I take all that I just said back. Damn you! NO FRAKKIN SPRINKLER ANYMORE? WHYYYYYYyyyyyyyyyyyyyy *sob* he gives with one hand and takes away with the other while using his third hand to make a peace sign over your head while everyone snickers.

edit: no sad mouse since I think that is against ftb policy.

btw, This was tongue in cheek. I realized this change was made in addition to what I presume was better growth of plants since I actually think they are growing faster now vs. 1.1.1. still. I was pretty proud of my little sprinkler setup. guess I'll have to make do w/o.

Last edited:

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Sprinklers acted as a water source block. Which meant infinite water bottles. Which meant the got ban hammered

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Several, several versions ago, yeah.

Oh, btw, as someone just pointed out, once you get a High Oven...you can smelt cobblestone into seared bricks. I forgot to remove that...and I think I'll leave it that way. That way you have to salvage the first bits of your smneltery and such, but once you do that you can then expand them as you need to.

Pip69

Jul 29, 2019
City Ideas:
Park / Playground: Anything was was grass/dirt has turned into hardened clay. A fountain, but no water or power. A sandbox.
To add more variety, take copies of all the buildings you have, and set off a few TNT in each, then add what's left back into the city generator. This will give more of a variety to the city.