[1.6.4]Crash Landing [Hardcore, HQM] version 1.1.x BETA STABLE

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
I just want to be able to craft the smeltery with the readily available gravel, sand, and clay. I don't care if the other stuff is available for me to craft normally, but grout should be! the modpack was already hard enough when it was still craftable! Also, not being able to craft a smeltery is NOT incentive for me to visit the city, it's incentive to get the materials anyway and then trade them through creative mode for the crafted blocks! I'm not a fan of "make it more complicated for the sake of complication"
If you're intent enough on breaking the game to enter cheat mode to avoid exploring.... then my vote is to tell you to go ahead and cheat, and let the rest of us play the game without breaking any feel of a progression. But then I get the impression that you and I will always stand on opposite sides of this conversation.

Reactions: Shane2482

Shane2482

Jul 29, 2019
Cities
Aesthetics: very cool. Remind me strongly of Fallout 3. I'd wager money it was an inspiration.

Balance issues: players are encouraged to go there before they're ready. I was 1-hit a million times by zombie-pigmen falling from upper floors. Conversely, a lot of the loot is also flow breaking (redstone energy cells before I've ever made leadstone ones, so forth)

Flow issues: I feel roaming around the city is happening too early, and by the time I accomplish it, it feels weird going back to the old base grind.

Recommendation: make smeltery components a reward for bringing back something simple from the city that can be found in any building. Such as a type of wall piece or desk. Its a reward for finding evidence of ancient civilization. Players at this point, with sucky defenses, can experience a reasonable amount of danger ducking into one building and getting that evidence.

Edit: In retrospect I believe you're only interested in structural feedback. So: I like.

Hey any and all input on the cities will be helpfull Iskandar reads these as well. Iskandar is still fine tuneing the loot as well as some other things.

Reactions: Pyure

Shane2482

Jul 29, 2019
If you're intent enough on breaking the game to enter cheat mode to avoid exploring.... then my vote is to tell you to go ahead and cheat, and let the rest of us play the game without breaking any feel of a progression. But then I get the impression that you and I will always stand on opposite sides of this conversation.

Thank for the support Iskandar knows there are some small problems but with an update as big as this you cant help but to have them. So for all those that are complaining plz be patient Iv been talking with Iskandar and he is taking a lot of what you all are saying into consideration. But remember this is his mod pack and he may not do everything you want this is a balancing act of what he likes and what 1000s of other people like.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
Lol, These noon mob attacks are lovely.... especially when a bunch of these show up to chase you back behind your walls....... What's next, I get struck by lightning out of the blue... :)

2014-08-14_19.54.09.png

Reactions: Shane2482

Xamie

Jul 29, 2019
I just want to be able to craft the smeltery with the readily available gravel, sand, and clay. I don't care if the other stuff is available for me to craft normally, but grout should be! the modpack was already hard enough when it was still craftable! Also, not being able to craft a smeltery is NOT incentive for me to visit the city, it's incentive to get the materials anyway and then trade them through creative mode for the crafted blocks! I'm not a fan of "make it more complicated for the sake of complication"
You can still use the crucible to melt any ores you get from the sieving then once you're all geared up you can visit the city to get the required resources to progress. Making a smeltery doubles your production of ingots and is a fairly significant thing mid game. As a pain in the arse thing it may be to obtain, it is a major part of speeding up the progress down the tech tree.
Although this does add a element of grindyness early on (sieving, getting ingots, gearing up, then heading into the city), adventuring out and going too the city also has its own rewards as there are quite a decent amount of mid tier loot which helps speed up creating a pneumaticcraft pressure chamber and among other things.
The only real problem is how effective you are in prepping yourself to go on an adventure too significantly help quicken your progress down the tech tree.

Sales_Kital

Jul 29, 2019
You can still use the crucible to melt any ores you get from the sieving then once you're all geared up you can visit the city to get the required resources to progress. Making a smeltery doubles your production of ingots and is a fairly significant thing mid game. As a pain in the arse thing it may be to obtain, it is a major part of speeding up the progress down the tech tree.
Although this does add a element of grindyness early on (sieving, getting ingots, gearing up, then heading into the city), adventuring out and going too the city also has its own rewards as there are quite a decent amount of mid tier loot which helps speed up creating a pneumaticcraft pressure chamber and among other things.
The only real problem is how effective you are in prepping yourself to go on an adventure too significantly help quicken your progress down the tech tree.
the Smeltery isn't mid game. it's early game. I always go for it before ever getting ONE ingot. The fact that it can be made without smelting anything, or even needing a furnace, is proof enough that it was intended to be easily obtained early game.

Reactions: Genshou

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
Lol, These noon mob attacks are lovely.... especially when a bunch of these show up to chase you back behind your walls....... What's next, I get struck by lightning out of the blue... :)

View attachment 12503
yeah, it's those pumpkin headed fiends. We need our own pumpkin headed fiends. cue the utility mobs *hint* would be nice walking into dodge with a few unborns with me.

Marsupilami

Jul 29, 2019
As far as difficulty goes, I would suggest expanding on the Hard and Easy mode choice. Give the Easy mode choosers access to rewards with TiCon Smeltery and PC Machinery parts and simpler rewards for Hard mode like food and water. Just add 1-2 more nodes to the Easy and Hard tree that can be completed in the first few days. This way the ones that choose Easy don't have to explore a city to get their smeltery going and those that choose hard can have a tiny boost for making it past the first few hurdles of surviving :p

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
the Smeltery isn't mid game. it's early game. I always go for it before ever getting ONE ingot. The fact that it can be made without smelting anything, or even needing a furnace, is proof enough that it was intended to be easily obtained early game.

The problem with what you're saying is that you only get like what, 3 clay blocks at beginning? that's 12 clay balls, 12 grouts == 3 seared bricks not including needing bucket, etc. I know, it was hyperbole, but seriously, look at the #'s. You end up having to setup some kind of water creation, so you can make clay, then make grout, etc. By this time, you've got a bit of infrastructure going, it's not even first week of mc days, etc...

I'm with you tho that the removal of grout wasn't such a great idea. But, the points I made have been discounted by the use of crucibles (which I've yet to use yet) and even making invar by pushing grinder and using dusts. I love AE but I hate hate hate the grinder. that thing annoys me so much but yeah, I see it as a somewhat necessity in certain situations. This probably is one of them. I don't feel the smeltery early on is as much about doubling ores as much as making tools and if you can use the crucible (let's call it crutchible), then yeah. This extends out the early-mid game till you make a trip to city which is invigorating, and when you get back, you have more than just the parts you need, but so much bling, (and here's the other shoe dropping), you don't feel much like doing what you set out to do anymore.

If all the power in the mod-world were available to pack makers, then iskandar could make it so you need a blue key to create a thing to make a machine to make grout in, but to get blue key, you'd have to raid city, etc.. then you can be at home, making grout, etc... Since he can't, this (I think) is the closest you can get to it at this time. I think more fine tuning is in order, but that's why this is open to all and to solicit feedback. I was told (rightly) to basically shut the hell up and stop complaining before I even loaded up 1.1.2 cause I was complaining about this before I even tried it. Once I did however, I still felt the same but now after making multiple trips to city, I see a different problem (see above). This will all need tweaking. But I think the direction it's taking is right.

Think of it a different way. He didn't add witchery and then say to go to dream dimension to get seared bricks and to find a way to get them back. ohhhh he didn't just go there did he? he did... he DID.... :)

*munches on some porkwiches*

Shane2482

Jul 29, 2019
As far as difficulty goes, I would suggest expanding on the Hard and Easy mode choice. Give the Easy mode choosers access to rewards with TiCon Smeltery and PC Machinery parts and simpler rewards for Hard mode like food and water. Just add 1-2 more nodes to the Easy and Hard tree that can be completed in the first few days. This way the ones that choose Easy don't have to explore a city to get their smeltery going and those that choose hard can have a tiny boost for making it past the first few hurdles of surviving :p

Well your close there was mention the possibility of adding a defense or offence quest to choose from.

Go defense and get defensive items or go offence and get offensive items. Not sure yet but Iskandar sounded interested.
and yea i agree that expanding the hard and easy mode would help as well

DarkSpectrum

Jul 29, 2019
You need a furnace to cook the grout and whatever bucket to put lava in it.
It may not be mid game but it's not early game, somewhere in between since you don't even need the smeltery to start making tools.

Maybe I'd iskandar decides to add grout back, he could remove the clay ball version and only have the clay block version with a nerfed result. Something like 2-4 grout instead of 8.

Xamie

Jul 29, 2019
you still need a furnace for the crucible to get larva, etc. But considering most of the special mobs can basically two hit you unarmored it is fairly risky. In most other mod packs the smeltry is a fairly quick ore doubling to make and is a must for early on. That being said it is usually the first thing that you would want at your base, and with out the ability too make grout this stretches out the early game process and forces you to scavenge from the city.
If you could make grout then there would be no real point in going to the city until much later (if ever) as pretty much once you have the early foundation for ore doubling you can continue onto pneumaticcraft then thermal expansion a lot quicker. Removing the grout just adds an additional element too the survival by adding in the necessity of scavenging from the dead cities.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
ok 112 has been out for a few days now and id like to get some input from those of you that have been to the cities on what you think of the buildings i know that they are simple in design but with the way the mods works im limited on how much i can do. One of the big things is that i cant use a lot of rotatable blocks like doors, stairs, signs, and other stuff like that and another thing is that i ended up making 10 different buildings from nothing so time was a big issue. Now iv got more time and Iskandar and i already have a template to work off of so i can get the new buildings done faster allowing me to fine tune them. So any input good or bad would be nice

I like the cities. It's too bad you have to use chisel bookcases tho since I feel the switching of equipment (axe-pickaxe) is tiring, and you get back books that are completely unusable (different meta). I think those PC elevators are good to grab parts but it'd be nice if they worked :} Is there a way to get them to work portably, like an air cannister or something? That would be a reason to go back and explore those upper areas. As it stands, I used the hang glider (first time ever) to jump from building to building trying to make it to areas, but because all the buildings look alike, there was no real way to see where I've been except by picking out everything that isn't nailed down.

Because each city block is cast from a template, you figure out pretty quickly where the spawners are, and it's just picking away everything that looks like it's hiding something and destroy it. Not a big deal, but then that very fact essentially causes these buildings to be sameish (not something you can really do anything about).

I am a person that loves loot, so I love the loot I'm getting but I can see podonnell twisting in his chair over this and I'd probably agree (while I'm over here counting all my loot and grinning ear to ear). It is a bit much tho and I have zero clue how much control you have over it. I have so so so much stuff it's not funny. I can fill up 2 golden bags of holding with so much stuff in one mc day and zip on home and come back next day. Sorting all that stf is going to be a huge burden tho. :) I have way too many flux infused axes, and I don't agree about the redstone batteries. those are good rewards that should stay. it'll give a good boost and since leadstone ->redstone is a 1 way street, these batteries will allow you to make resonant ones since the leadstone avenue is a dead end. I think it's good tradeoff. I collected TNT and I didn't see any traps, so maybe that has to happen as well.

I know iskandar said he'd be removing the vampire mobs. please please please. :) those are the guys that completely own me since you can't kill them w/o wood weapons which are one use. The pig zombies are suicidal and jump from buildings constantly. It's funny, I was thinking of the song "It's RAIIINING PIGS...." can't do much about it. the spawners are spawning those zombie pigs at close range, but the other mob spawners aren't at all, so I don't know why that is.

The zombie pigs aren't showing up on radar at all, where the other mobs are. Just a piece of info. not thinking you can fix that.

the layout of the buildings would be awesome if they could have more uniqueness to each one but then you're giving away what they are. you telling me the important ones are L shaped with smoke stacks gives me something to bee line towards. I'll mostly ignore other buildings till I get bored.

The use of the openblocks elevators was awesome. I ended up taking a couple for use at home after I had gone through a building.

Thanks for the dyes and wools. They will be helpfull in PC seeds, etc..

I think the risk/reward probably needs tweaking, but I was risking alot going through those buildings, so I better damn well get something nice to show to mama creeper what I've been doing all day with my time. Don't take it all away :}

Oh, and I think you should up the # of seared bricks or actual smeltery stuff. I don't know how close these cities spawn so I have zero clue how far I'll be trekking to get to next city once this one's used up.

High oven / deep tank. I didn't see anything for deep tank tho I might have missed it. FYI, every time I've made a deep tank, it won't assemble unless I use clear glass or glass. I could never get the stained glasses to work with it so I don't know if those blue stained glasses were meant for deep tank or not, but they probably won't help. Same comment as above. need more bricks or something.

You might wanna throw in some impulse itemducts (opaque) and maybe some TE odds and ends like pyro dust or enderium dust (hehe) or the alloy dusts or something as well. low rate of course. I don't see any AE stuff and I think if it was a tech world, there'd be computers. maybe some 1k disks (you can remove from shell and use the bit) and some different stuff like stf for a MAC or basic stf or (having such a brain fart, but you get the picture). Maybe some MFR stuff, some conveyer belts, what not. plastic? maybe some spawn eggs, and some different kind of garbage loot other than dust (which I got quite a bit haha). some variety will move those drop tables around more making the finds alot more spaced out and not a ton of the same thing.

Oh, and definately spawn eggs for cats *hehe* I want stacks of them. stacks I say. take that creepers.

Reactions: XxWinnslowxX

tetshio

Jul 29, 2019
Cities have too much pigmen spawners. The giant pigmen with bows are OP. But I have been busy collecting stuff from pneumatic and smeltery buildings that I haven't had the time to raid the other normal buildings but I think the drops are just as good as it gets. I think the best chest had 3 diamonds and a red dye. I was happy when I got the diamonds because of this

GVJZRsD.png

Can make a spawner farm :)

pvhJT8w.png

NSbnkCy.png

Note: I'm still doing everything naked. (no armor)

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
Cities have too much pigmen spawners. The giant pigmen with bows are OP. But I have been busy collecting stuff from pneumatic and smeltery buildings that I haven't had the time to raid the other normal buildings but I think the drops are just as good as it gets. I think the best chest had 3 diamonds and a red dye. I was happy when I got the diamonds because of this

GVJZRsD.png

Can make a spawner farm :)

pvhJT8w.png

NSbnkCy.png

Note: I'm still doing everything naked. (no armor)

I have a chest with so many spawners it isn't funny. I made 4 diamond dollys and I grab 4 (enderman mostly) to make spawners of each visit. I would have one in hotbar so if I got ganged by pigs, I can zoink the spawner, and fly out the window with my hanglider yelling out "I am the night! oh shit it's night, gotta run home!"

thanks for clarifying the naked part. I was worried. *quietly tags you as streaker pig molester*

tetshio

Jul 29, 2019
I have a chest with so many spawners it isn't funny. I made 4 diamond dollys and I grab 4 (enderman mostly) to make spawners of each visit. I would have one in hotbar so if I got ganged by pigs, I can zoink the spawner, and fly out the window with my hanglider yelling out "I am the night! oh shit it's night, gotta run home!"

thanks for clarifying the naked part. I was worried. *quietly tags you as streaker pig molester*

Yeah, I put the dolly with the spawner in the bag of holding so that I don't get affected by the slow movement buff. Might get the zombie spawner next as I want to unlock the quest on the first part with the rocket launcher as a reward.[DOUBLEPOST=1408075496][/DOUBLEPOST]
The zombie pigs aren't showing up on radar at all, where the other mobs are. Just a piece of info. not thinking you can fix that.

In the map options, under Radar, I think zombie pigman are considered neutral mobs, which are turned off by default.

Shane2482

Jul 29, 2019
I like the cities. It's too bad you have to use chisel bookcases tho since I feel the switching of equipment (axe-pickaxe) is tiring, and you get back books that are completely unusable (different meta). I think those PC elevators are good to grab parts but it'd be nice if they worked :} Is there a way to get them to work portably, like an air cannister or something? That would be a reason to go back and explore those upper areas. As it stands, I used the hang glider (first time ever) to jump from building to building trying to make it to areas, but because all the buildings look alike, there was no real way to see where I've been except by picking out everything that isn't nailed down.

Loot has been a big issue with the cities so a cpl days ago i made a loot tester for Iskandar to help with this so loot should be better in 113.
And as to the pigmen well other than blazes and creapers what other mobs spawn in the daylight befor he up the pigmen spawners you could just walk right in and take what you want now you have to work for it.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
Yeah, I put the dolly with the spawner in the bag of holding so that I don't get affected by the slow movement buff. Might get the zombie spawner next as I want to unlock the quest on the first part with the rocket launcher as a reward.[DOUBLEPOST=1408075496][/DOUBLEPOST]

In the map options, under Radar, I think zombie pigman are considered neutral mobs, which are turned off by default.

yeah, it sorta defeats the thing entirely when you can place the mob spawner somewhere and the effects go away. wonder how long till mobius fixes that. I make a knapsack as soon as possible. I find them invaluable, and always attached.

oh you are so right. I had completely forgotten about that radar setting. jeez. I will have to check but you are probably right there. naked and all. but right.[DOUBLEPOST=1408075876][/DOUBLEPOST]
Loot has been a big issue with the cities so a cpl days ago i made a loot tester for Iskandar to help with this so loot should be better in 113.
And as to the pigmen well other than blazes and creapers what other mobs spawn in the daylight befor he up the pigmen spawners you could just walk right in and take what you want now you have to work for it.

that's an idea. some fire protection books or something to handle the blazes. w/environmine, they are a death sentence if you get caught on fire. brings you back for more punishment.