[1.10.2] Age of Engineering

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Or you can just output from the tiny progressions cobble gen into your favorite powered furnace to achieve your desired output (much quieter too)
I hadn't realized the Tiny Progressions cobble generators were in the pack. I know them only from skyblock packs. Problem solved.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Please Help!

Age of Engineering crashes right after clicking on "play" in the launcher. I had gotten a message "updating native launcher" when I started AoE today, no idea if that has anything to do with it, but I can't start. I don't even get to the point where I have a log in my "logs" folder, and any new instance I create has the same problem? What can I do?

Last edited:

LordPINE

Jan 2, 2016
Got the same problem, but for my custom pack, and for optifine. It seems to related to the launcher update, because that's when the problem started for me. Of course, there's no changelog for the minecraft launcher to be found anywhere, so there's no saying for sure. Still, really strange and annoying. Hope there will be a fix soon.

NunoAgapito

Jul 29, 2019
On the twitch launcher, go to settings, Minecraft, Launch method and change from native launcher to jar launcher and choose the java version on the dropdown below in case you have multiple versions and it fails to choose the correct one.
You might need to also install java, since the native launcher brings is own java launcher and doest force you to install one. If you need to install, make sure you install latest version 8 release (not 9, Mc not ready for 9 yet) and be sure its x64. Sometimes the site fails to detect the version and gives you x32....

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I fixed it by completely deleting the launcher folder and letting the app reinstall everything it needed. Fortunately I had made a backup of my AoE folder, since the process unexpectedly deleted the origal. I suppose NunoAgapito's method works better, only it came too late for me ;)

LordPINE

Jan 2, 2016
That sadly seems equally broken, exiting with the error: Could not find or load main class net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.
Yes, I am using the right java (java 8 update 131, x64).

Z

Zenowiusz

Try to launch now. Minecraft will download new native launcher and it will work fine

H

Hosse96

I like to play Questbook modpacks since i found a good way through Crah landing that way. But after 15h in Age of Engineering i start to love this concept to. No confused searching in NEI, wondering what the next proper step is. what machine is affordable.

I play it on the MineYourMind Servers and can really recommend this modpack for all tech lover!

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Hmm....is there a swapping tool in this pack that isn't limited to a handful of common blocks like the one from Calculator? It it getting somewhat annoying to unify my walls and floors after digging out new rooms, and that tool isn't very useful if smooth stone is what I want to keep for now and rather want to remove the pockets of diorite, alabaster etc..

Apart from that, I can only echo Hosse96 above. I'm only in Age 5, but there are already 2 mods I wouldn't have used in most other packs because they didn't have a logical place in the progression. Not that AoE progression *mechanics* always make sense (uh, seed oil in a *carpenter* machine to make a machine chassis?) but they serve very well as an incentive to, well, "use more stuff". Among other things, I'm looking forward to RFTools' control and inventory mechanics, since I never used that before because AE2 or Refined Storage was available.

BTW, does anyone use the spawner changer from Actually Additions? It appears to be of limited utility to me, even in combination with XU's ability to turn a spawner into a "resturbed" one, because in order to make a spawner changer, you have to find four other spawners, which makes it a mid-game tool at least, at which point you've likely overcome any problems caused by the lack of a specific spawner, if that's even a problem anymore given that EnderIO spawners exist. Unless there's a point in the game where you need one Ender Pearl per second or so. In any case, I don't recall any game where I found more than 6-7 spawners except in the Revolution Pack, which has so many complex dungeon-like structures you'll end up with half a stack of every kind of broken spawner. I wouldn't mind more structures in the 1.10.2 packs I've played so far, actually. The landscape feels often boring without CrC pylons, TC dungeons and gateways, TT obelisks and others. May I mention that Recurrent Complex is available for 1.10.2?

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Nobody knows how long you've been playing the pack. For all we know, you just started today, so no need to give excuses for being in the Calculation Age. :)

Someone has compiled a document listing tips and goals for each age.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MxHwK9dF2ZdpVEcz90cfb5F9fvqTvlUJC97e4BETAEA/edit

Thanks for this, I've gone and made a 'smooth stone' generator, it's all very manual at the moment, but I am thinking of using integrated dynamics in the following way:
1. Detector pointing at place where smooth stone pops out by piston
2. AA Block breaker (set to Pulse on redstone), pointed at space where smooth stone pops out by piston
3. If this space is occupied by smooth stone, send a redstone pulse to AA Beam generator (thing that zaps the stone to create an overworld ore)
4. If this space is occupied by nothing, send a rerdstone pulse to the lever controlling piston on stone generator
5. if this space is not empty and is not smooth stone, send redstone pulse to the AA breaker

I have to work out how to do this with integrated dynamics :) The main thing will be to put in a delay on generating smooth stone, as my RF generation
right now is very low, but my server runs 24 x 7 so speed isn't an issue.

-Wuffle!

zBob

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for this, I've gone and made a 'smooth stone' generator, it's all very manual at the moment, but I am thinking of using integrated dynamics in the following way:
1. Detector pointing at place where smooth stone pops out by piston
2. AA Block breaker (set to Pulse on redstone), pointed at space where smooth stone pops out by piston
3. If this space is occupied by smooth stone, send a redstone pulse to AA Beam generator (thing that zaps the stone to create an overworld ore)
4. If this space is occupied by nothing, send a rerdstone pulse to the lever controlling piston on stone generator
5. if this space is not empty and is not smooth stone, send redstone pulse to the AA breaker

I have to work out how to do this with integrated dynamics :) The main thing will be to put in a delay on generating smooth stone, as my RF generation
right now is very low, but my server runs 24 x 7 so speed isn't an issue.

-Wuffle!

If you want a simple design with a dark utilities timer and vanilla redstone I can write something up, or even take some screenshots tonight. If you want to do this for the challenge of learning integrated dynamics then I will stay out of your way.

But consider using the Extra utilites mechanical miner instead for step 2, it allows for enchanted books to be placed in it so you can silk touch or forture the ores for however you like to process them.

Reactions: WuffleFluffy

zBob

Jul 29, 2019
[snip]

BTW, does anyone use the spawner changer from Actually Additions? It appears to be of limited utility to me, even in combination with XU's ability to turn a spawner into a "resturbed" one, because in order to make a spawner changer, you have to find four other spawners, which makes it a mid-game tool at least, at which point you've likely overcome any problems caused by the lack of a specific spawner, if that's even a problem anymore given that EnderIO spawners exist. Unless there's a point in the game where you need one Ender Pearl per second or so. In any case, I don't recall any game where I found more than 6-7 spawners except in the Revolution Pack, which has so many complex dungeon-like structures you'll end up with half a stack of every kind of broken spawner. I wouldn't mind more structures in the 1.10.2 packs I've played so far, actually. The landscape feels often boring without CrC pylons, TC dungeons and gateways, TT obelisks and others. May I mention that Recurrent Complex is available for 1.10.2?

I went to a mesa in the earlier ages to hunt for gold for some reason, while there I came across 2 exposed mine shafts so collecting some spider spawners was pretty easy. I suffered the high RF cost for crafting the spawner changer or the diamond spike and did manage to setup a resturbed enderman spawner. I also snagged a blaze spawner without having to change it and built a little mob grinding room, blaze rods make for a great early game fuel. Once you have a good income of ender pearls its easy to find uses for them and you might also have the same luck I did and have zero eyes of ender installed in the portal when you find it. The nice thing now is that it all runs at zero RF cost and I can put it on redstone control if I really do want to stop them.

Last edited:

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
If you want a simple design with a dark utilities timer and vanilla redstone I can write something up, or even take some screenshots tonight. If you want to do this for the challenge of learning integrated dynamics then I will stay out of your way.

But consider using the Extra utilites mechanical miner instead for step 2, it allows for enchanted books to be placed in it so you can silk touch or forture the ores for however you like to process them.

That would be terrific, I'd love to see your write-up :)

That's what I love about this community, people sharing ideas and solutions.

On another note, have you gone DEEP into IC2, I'm only just beginning to realize what a massive mod IC2 is, I'm seriously thinking of fully exploring IC2 (ie, make ALL of the things in IC2) before moving on into future ages.

-Wuffle!

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I went to a mesa in the earlier ages to hunt for gold for some reason, while there I came across 2 exposed mine shafts so collecting some spider spawners was pretty easy. I suffered the high RF cost for crafting the spawner changer or the diamond spike and did manage to setup a resturbed enderman spawner. I also snagged a blaze spawner without having to change it and built a little mob grinding room, blaze rods make for a great early game fuel. Once you have a good income of ender pearls its easy to find uses for them and you might also have the same luck I did and have zero eyes of ender installed in the portal when you find it. The nice thing now is that it all runs at zero RF cost and I can put it on redstone control if I really do want to stop them.
Lucky you. I suppose it's easy to find enough Blaze spawners once you can fly, and the power costs of making a spawner changer are just matter of patience even if your powergen is below standard for the age, but since in this pack, flying means having been to the End, any Ender Pearl problems will be resolved at that point anyway. Having said that, if you're going for industrial-level ender pearl production, an EnderIo Enderman spawner is prohibitively expensive to power at its fastest - IIRC, it was 15kRF/t - so the resturbed spawner may still have its place.

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Well, after some messing about, I finally got my first semi serious IC2 Ore processing facility up and running.

It's not pretty (I'm still using stone for my building), but here's the setup.

2017-10-27_21.26.09.png

Essentially it flows like this (I am facing SOUTH in this screenshot, WEST is to my right):

• Ores to be processed go into the Hopper to the left
  • The hopper has a ejector upgrade pushing everything down into an electronic sorting machine
  • The Sorting machine is told to send all crushed IC2 ores to the WEST, into an ore washing plant (behind the chest), a DEFAULT rout is configured to sent all other crushed ores (the Non IC2 ones) to the NORTH, into a regular Electric Furnace (upgraded to tier 2). Screenshot of the Sorting machine below
2017-10-27_21.30.41.png
  • The Ore washing plant will produce two items for each IC2 ore; Crushed Purified Ores and 'Tiny' piles of dust, these are all pushed WEST into another sorting machine,
    this sorting machine has several routes defined;
    • All Purified IC2 ores are sent to the Thermal Centrifuge for processing, it will produce two sets of items; Regular Ore Dusts (IC2 Dusts) and Tiny piles of dust,
      All output from the Thermal centrifuge is sent EAST back into the Sorting machine
    • When there are 9 of any of the 'Tiny Dusts' collected, they will be sent (in even groups of nine) to the Compressor which is to the NORTH of this sorting machine,
      the sorting machine will then compress these into regular dusts, all output is sent SOUTH back into the sorting machine
    • The final route for the sorting machine is the default route, as it's only ever going to be working IC2 items, everything is sent to the Induction furnace which is UP
      from the sorting machine, into a chest (in the future, a proper inventory system)
    • Screenshot of the route definitions for this sorting machine is below.
2017-10-27_21.40.07.png
The whole setup is powered by two Low Voltage Solar Arrays sending power into a CESU, I have a 128EU/t line and a 16EU/t line coming out of a transformer under the floor
to support different machines.

I have tested this set up quite a lot and it 'seems' to be working OK.

I'll need to set up a separate set of machines for processing of Uranium, but this way I can now simply mine and dump ores into the hopper for now and have them processed.

Please review and let me know if you have ideas, I enjoy learning and this is my first deeper dive into IC2 for this mudpack. As always I hope this post is useful in some way :)

-Wuffle!

P.S... seriously struggling for EU/t power... open to any ideas for generating more EU/t power without having to move beyond the Farming age.

Last edited:

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
P.S... seriously struggling for EU/t power... open to any ideas for generating more EU/t power without having to move beyond the Farming age.
Nice setup! I was about to comment that the Thermal Centrifuge requires more power than your LV solar array can support on a continuous basis.

Having said that, the MV solar array (64 EU/t as opposed to 8 for the LV array) costs 832 rubber, 576 iron ingots, 512 cobblestone, 384 redstone dust, 278 copper, 192 glass, 192 coal dust and 128 tin ingots, plus the costs for the MV transformer (negligible in comparison). The rubber may require some patience to get, or a Forestry rubber tree farm (#1), but with a good mining hammer (#2), a null charm and a tier 3 Bagginses bag (#3) it shouldn't take you more than an hour or two to mine the other required resources. I'd also consider making an MFE, but I'm not sure if you can do that without progressing.

#1: Requires specific Calculator circuits IIRC, so that path requires some patience, too. You may be faster manually with enough rubber trees.
#2: The one mentioned in the document posted on the previous page works very well - it lasts forever.
#3: Keep the bag on default since otherwise the null charm won't work.

I also seem to recall an IC generator that uses lava, but getting easy access to lava in large quantities requires you to progress to the Ender Age since you can't do interdimensional transport, as far as I'm aware of, without Ender Resonators.

Reactions: WuffleFluffy

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Hmm....I'm having some performance problems.

Since the Industrial Squeezer only takes melon slices and the cloche produces whole melons, I made a little auto-placer/auto-breaker setup to break up the melons, but I get a serious dip in fps whenever a melon gets broken - usually with every sequence of three melons, pop-pop-pop, one from each cloche, 60 fps goes down to 30 with recognizeable stuttering. So now I'm looking for a way to automatically break melons that doesn't have this problem. Is there any, or should I try other resources. Melons are super-efficient - you get half the number of whole melons than you get potatoes or sugarcane per time unit but each melon breaks into 4 slices - but I'd rather have no performance problems.

BTW, oddly enough, you can craft slices into whole melons, but not whole melons into slices. In RL, I find it easier to slice a melon than to remake a whole one from slices. :D

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

zBob

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm....I'm having some performance problems.
So now I'm looking for a way to automatically break melons that doesn't have this problem.

Compacting drawer

It has an expensive recipe but it gives you 9 slices from every melon so it makes for a nice quiet OP solution. :D

Reactions: Ieldra