[1.10.2] Age of Engineering

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
God the only thing I hate about AoE is the inclusion of Industrial Craft.. I hate that mod. Everything is such a pain.. You can't just break things and the transformers...

MatunasCraft

Jul 29, 2019
God the only thing I hate about AoE is the inclusion of Industrial Craft.. I hate that mod. Everything is such a pain.. You can't just break things and the transformers...

I think everybody has been in a situation where they wished a specific mod had not been included in a modpack. I don't personally like IC2 much either, but it's been a fun challenge to work with it in this modpack. Will I use IC2 in a more freeform modpack in the future? Doubtful, unless there's something I can only get from IC2. :)

MatunasCraft

Jul 29, 2019
Only thing I have tried I wish had worked was putting a calculator end diamond (un-breaking) pick into a progressive automation diamond miner, but it will not go.

If I ever replay this modpack, which is likely considering I've played thru Regrowth multiple times, I don't think I'll use the Progressive Automation Miners next time. I like the mod, but it required too much maintenance for the rewards. It was nice to come back and get the occasional Iron Ore or Copper Ore, but I rarely got anything better than that.

G

GoMine1968

I don't think I'll use the Progressive Automation Miners next time.
I wanted to see what I could get it to do. It is completely outclassed by the actually additions lens on miner / void ore miner but ok for early game. How I use mine was as follows - use a stone one with a tinkers un-breaking tool (say cobalt head with paper parts, paper head augment), cheap to set it up to a good size area as upgrades are transformed redstone and stone say 17x17 (odd sizes are easy to move) - stick enough solar next to it and capacitor (for night) to supply 40+bit/t and leave it alone with a medium crate on the top. It just tick along slow and steady. Its ok for age 3. I have used these plus filler upgrades to drop a 3x3 column from top of deep dark to bottom in middle of which you can dig down and put ladder pre flight.

I

irymn

I dont know if its a known bug but the neotec batteries arent loaing up with rf with me having a Actually additions battery. Also the electric pickaxe for some reason has 0/0 rf charge and doesnt work at all. I tried charging it with the actually additions battery, ender io capacitor and actually additions energizer with no results.

MatunasCraft

Jul 29, 2019
I wanted to see what I could get it to do. It is completely outclassed by the actually additions lens on miner / void ore miner but ok for early game. How I use mine was as follows - use a stone one with a tinkers un-breaking tool (say cobalt head with paper parts, paper head augment), cheap to set it up to a good size area as upgrades are transformed redstone and stone say 17x17 (odd sizes are easy to move) - stick enough solar next to it and capacitor (for night) to supply 40+bit/t and leave it alone with a medium crate on the top. It just tick along slow and steady. Its ok for age 3. I have used these plus filler upgrades to drop a 3x3 column from top of deep dark to bottom in middle of which you can dig down and put ladder pre flight.

Yep, I totally agree with you about it being outclassed by other miners. Even the AA Vertical Digger is available in Age 3, and is better because it can be set to only mine ores. However, I didn't mean to compare it with other mining methods. My point was that I don't even think it's worth the trouble of setting it up, and that's no fault of the mod developer, who created the mod during a ModJam (timed mod creation event). If I had no other auto-miner, I would probably (eventually) use a Diamond level Miner with a Wither upgrade. But at the time this is designed to be used, I've never had enough resources to build a quality miner. That's why I need the miner. The reason is because the tool used is tied to the tier of machine used and also the type of ore that can be mined. So you need an Iron or Diamond Miner to get diamonds, for example. I didn't have enough diamonds to build the Diamond Miner before I got my Void Ore Miner, and I've never had enough Iron. Even now, I keep running out of Iron, and I'm in Age 9.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
Yep, I totally agree with you about it being outclassed by other miners. Even the AA Vertical Digger is available in Age 3, and is better because it can be set to only mine ores. However, I didn't mean to compare it with other mining methods. My point was that I don't even think it's worth the trouble of setting it up, and that's no fault of the mod developer, who created the mod during a ModJam (timed mod creation event). If I had no other auto-miner, I would probably (eventually) use a Diamond level Miner with a Wither upgrade. But at the time this is designed to be used, I've never had enough resources to build a quality miner. That's why I need the miner. The reason is because the tool used is tied to the tier of machine used and also the type of ore that can be mined. So you need an Iron or Diamond Miner to get diamonds, for example. I didn't have enough diamonds to build the Diamond Miner before I got my Void Ore Miner, and I've never had enough Iron. Even now, I keep running out of Iron, and I'm in Age 9.
Dude, early on I made an iron farm. You need minimum 10 villagers. Free Iron forever 0 work.

MatunasCraft

Jul 29, 2019
Dude, early on I made an iron farm. You need minimum 10 villagers. Free Iron forever 0 work.

Not to nitpick, but you can't really say 0 work, when you have to build the farm. ;)

Other than that, all I will say is that I have thought, "I've definitely got enough Iron now" dozens of times. And then I find out the next mod uses blocks of it like candy. Right now, I've got a Tier 3 Void Ore Miner with White Lens going non-stop and I haven't had to go mining for Iron since it's been running.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
Not to nitpick, but you can't really say 0 work, when you have to build the farm. ;)

Other than that, all I will say is that I have thought, "I've definitely got enough Iron now" dozens of times. And then I find out the next mod uses blocks of it like candy. Right now, I've got a Tier 3 Void Ore Miner with White Lens going non-stop and I haven't had to go mining for Iron since it's been running.
You know the thing about an Iron Farm is you can make another one or add more villagers to the current one. I need more iron, I add more villagers.

MatunasCraft

Jul 29, 2019
You know the thing about an Iron Farm is you can make another one or add more villagers to the current one. I need more iron, I add more villagers.

I think I might be missing your point, because that's how everything works. If I need more Plutonium, I add Reactors. If I need more ores, I add quarries.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
I think I might be missing your point, because that's how everything works. If I need more Plutonium, I add Reactors. If I need more ores, I add quarries.
Iron farms can increase in speed the more villagers their are. You need 10 to start and then each 10 after that makes it go faster by some percentage. With a maximum of 50 villagers.

MatunasCraft

Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone experimented with the Neotech Thermal Binder for weapons or armor? I've messed around with the Electric Sword upgrades a bit, but can't seem to find anything better than End Forged Sword.

Tried the Thermal Binder upgrades on armor in a Creative world, and you can get Protection X on each armor piece, if you don't want anything else. The Glider isn't as good as a Jetpack, and if you put Sprinting upgrade on, it's active all the time. Makes it a pain to walk a few steps. I'll try some pickaxe upgrades next.

Last edited:

MatunasCraft

Jul 29, 2019
The end forged sword is really nice for 20 flat damage. On the other hand, the sword upgrades are NOT CAPPED. You can have a looting 10 sword, or a fortune 10 pick. The completely indestructable end tools are nice, but how does that compare to getting 5 diamonds or more per ore?

Well, I'd still say End Forged Sword (with Sharpness 5 and Looting 3) is better because its 23 damage is 3.5 times as much as a Looting 10 Electric Sword.

My creative world locked up before I could test the Pickaxe, but the clincher for me is how many upgrade slots the Area of Effect Upgrade takes. If I can mine 3x3 and get Fortune 7, 8 or 9, then I'm sold.

MatunasCraft

Jul 29, 2019
Speaking of locked up worlds, my creative world no longer loads. It shows 0% on the screen, but nothing else happens. The log shows everything unloaded, but there is no crash-report. Anybody have any tips on how to troubleshoot why the world won't load?

triggerfinger12

Apr 17, 2017
Rock
Speaking of locked up worlds, my creative world no longer loads. It shows 0% on the screen, but nothing else happens. The log shows everything unloaded, but there is no crash-report. Anybody have any tips on how to troubleshoot why the world won't load?
My best guess is the world got corrupted, probably from having too much stuff. If you absolutely HAVE to have that world, you can restore it from a backup, but otherwise it'd be easier to just create a new world.

MatunasCraft

Jul 29, 2019
My best guess is the world got corrupted, probably from having too much stuff. If you absolutely HAVE to have that world, you can restore it from a backup, but otherwise it'd be easier to just create a new world.

Thanks for the advice, but I'm still trying to figure out what happened. It's a creative world I've been using to create a compact Empowered Oil setup tutorial. I don't want to start from scratch.

It's definitely not from having too much stuff. In fact, I haven't been inside the world long enough at one time to generate an automated backup. Guess I'm going to have to dig into playerdata after all.

EDIT: Someone suggested that I filter out the MC log screen to eliminate everything but the Fatal errors, and when I went to load it again to do that, the world loaded normally. Still not sure what happened, but at least it's back.

MatunasCraft

Jul 29, 2019
The end forged sword is really nice for 20 flat damage. On the other hand, the sword upgrades are NOT CAPPED. You can have a looting 10 sword, or a fortune 10 pick. The completely indestructable end tools are nice, but how does that compare to getting 5 diamonds or more per ore?

Oh, I forgot about this. I tested the Electric Pickaxe from Neotech, and I was not able to upgrade it past Fortune 5. FYI

Q

QuintinStone

Have you played TechReborn?

Everything you hate about IC2 except broken and unfinished! What a bargain!