[1.0.0] Modular Armour - Now configurable!

C

chbachman

I'm thinking in it's current stage it's very much like Baubles as it's a mod which only really exists for it's API and has the few features for the sake of showing how you'd create modules and such for the suit in which case this is a very pleasing idea, especially if someone or even you add a feature to change how the armor looks, perhaps with a special model as an optional feature rather than something you have to deal with or just have it invisible.
Pretty much yeah. That is how I write everything I make. I write a core engine, and then write an API. I then use that API to create all my features. Actually, it is funny you mention Baubles, my mod literally has the exact same calls as a baubles item does. And Azanor wrote baubles after i wrote my mod. :p

Could you enlighten as to what the charge rates are like? For example is it power thirsty like MMPS regardless of the additions or is it managable? Can you charge it with Capacitors in the inventory? Can you use capacitors as their batteries as a module itself, for example if you installed a Resonant Power Module the suit would have 10m RF capacity?

Lastly, How good will it be/is it in terms of resistance to damage? Will you have modules centered around different kind of damage? Like Projectile Armor, Blast Armor, Fire Resistance, Potion Effect (wither, poison, etc), etc? Is it relative to Iron Armor? Diamond? Perhaps better? Can you allow for modules that add their own types of damage like Magic Damage from Ars Magicka, Flux Damage from Redstone Arsenal?

Just stuff to think about.

Charge Rates are variable depending on the upgrades installed. All upgrades can edit those Charge Rates. MMPS specifically looks into your inventory to get its power, and I don't do that. You need to charge it, whether that power comes from a capacitor or if it comes from a Energetic Infuser.

The defense is also passed onto the upgrades. Each upgrade has its own choice whether to defend against that damage, or not. The defence upgrades i have right now are based off of preventing all damage, similar to the flux armour, but it can be easily changed.

Perhaps even a way to counteract the Warp effects from Thaumcraft? (If Thaumcraft allows that, I'm not entirely sure how that works)

Just stuff to think about.

Thaumcraft makes it so, i think, that you cannot remove permanent warp. However, his Warp Protection Potion Effect would be easy to do.

Here's the thing about the MMPS armor's rendering, or at least my thoughts on it. I've heard a lot of people say stuff against it's addition, for example it looks ugly, more so than it's normally rendered predecessor and it just doesn't fit the minecraft look what with the default rendering's curvature and all that stuff. In fact the alternate render design fit the minecraft bill a lot better, however still looked kind of weird and I agree, it did. It looked bulky, even for Minecraft and in contrast to the body wearing it there was a jarring difference between the user and their armor, but that shouldn't be the nail in the coffin for rendering. If Thaumcraft's Fortress armor proved anything it's that fancy rendered armor can look really cool (even if it doesn't fit the mod and was just added because ooh shiny) The beauty of this mod's purpose is to provide people with the ability to add their own modules with it's open sourcedness and if possible they can make their own renders which fits their aesthetic choice without that choice being forced upon them, which was an issue that MMPS unfortunately had as it straight up removed the usual textures with no option to bring them back and for lesser computers that's a bad thing which is why as I mentioned, the user should have the option.

Simply put, if you don't want to do your own rendering, that's fine! Hell, I'm no coder but I can only imagine the stress involved in making a properly rendered suit that looks good, however give others the option to render for themselves in an addon. Give them the option and you won't need to render. Hell, you may even find someone who wants to do the rendering for you that you can pull into the mod natively.

BTW, I'd love to see a high-tech fortress armor. Even that would fit better than hurr Thurmcrerft.

I am not rendering. I absolutely hate it. I tried to make a Modular Storage mod, which actually was going well, until i realized that i would have to render the chests, and gave up right there. It is the reason i made the armour. However, if a modder were to want that, i would absolutley give them the api calls that they need to render. Im just not doing it.

And I am not sure how the fortress armour works, isn't it just more protective armour?

Laser beams helmet
Jet boots
May make texture for you

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Tapatalk 2

Mabye, but rendering. :p
Jet Boots, like IC2 Jetpack?
Cool.
What about reactive armor module- cost exponential charge to block damage completely (1 heart=x, 2 hearts=4x, 3 hearts=9x, 4 hearts=16x).

Very easy. Could add that, basically do, just not exponential. If more people would want that high of an energy cost, i would be willing to add it as a config option.

What about fluid based module support? Removable type of modules that can be charged separately with fluid/items/essentia?!

Other modders could try, it might be possible. However this mod differs from MMPS in that the upgrades are not items. In fact this mod adds 4 items, the 4 armour pieces. You craft directly onto the armour. So charging each individual module would probably not work. However, charging the suit would probably be possible, just difficult.

MAN THAT WAS A LONG POST

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: buggirlexpres

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Can't you tell my names are so creative?

Modular Armour is my small replacement for Modular Powersuits. It has much in common, just not the good graphics. (I suck at them!)

Current Version: 0.0.1
This mod is in BETA. Expect frequent bugs. (I also don't really test these THAT thoroughly, so expect a lot. :p)

This armour is RF powered.

Requires:
CoFH Core B5
CoFH Lib B4

Integration With:
Thermal Expansion
Thermal Foundation

Features:

Modular Armour. Duh.

List of Upgrades:
  • Jetpack
  • Calf Shields (http://xkcd.com/1382/)
  • Potion Upgrades
  • Fall Damage
  • Solar Generator
  • Auto Feeder (My favorite)
  • Speed Upgrade
  • Step Assist

Changelog:
[0.0.1] Initial Release.

Pictures:
Adding an Upgrade:
ETzP4RV.png

Removing an Upgrade.
vnRlMqt.png

Recipe List for Upgrades. (Not in NEI, my own handler)
UVrEnwt.png

The armour. I need a texture artist for this. Anybody want to help?
ei0cUIV.png

Source Code:
My mod is open source!
Source Code here!

Downloads:
All downloads are at CurseForge.
Link here

Issues:
Report them here .

Modpacks/License:
Modpacks: Go Ahead. Just let me know.
This mod is licensed under the GPLv3
Calf shields.
I like this.
Hail XKCD

C

chbachman

Calf shields.
I like this.
Hail XKCD
My exact line of thought:

Jetpack is finished. Hmmm. Some people might complain it is overpowered. Hmmm.

LET'S BE EVIL!

Calf Shields it is.

Actually, the Jetpack damages you 2.5 hearts every tick it is on when you don't have calf shields. I expect a lot of players to just add the Jetpack and then die.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019

LET'S BE EVIL!

Calf Shields it is.

Actually, the Jetpack damages you 2.5 hearts every tick it is on when you don't have calf shields. I expect a lot of players to just add the Jetpack and then die.
You are so evil.
I love it.

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019

LET'S BE EVIL!

Calf Shields it is.

^^ Can we NOT do things like these, please?

Ommina

Aug 14, 2014
What is wrong with that? It makes the Jetpack WAAY More balanced, now it requires leggings and a chestplate. Plus, it is hilarious.

Oh, and it is already in the mod BTW.

Ah. Take a known, established mechanic (over a number of years, at that), make it fatal, call it funny.

Which I guess is fine if you are making a mod that you've no desire to actually be taken seriously.

C

chbachman

Ah. Take a known, established mechanic (over a number of years, at that), make it fatal, call it funny.

Which I guess is fine if you are making a mod that you've no desire to actually be taken seriously.

It's not like this is fatal all the time... It only hurts you if you don't have the leggings on with the calf shields upgrade, which is mentioned in the description of the jetpack.

The purpose of the jetpack hurting you without the leggings is to sort of force people to not just wear the chest plate and then use some other armour. It forces them to have at least the leggings on them at all times.

And again, this is mentioned IN THE DESCRIPTION of the jetpack, so people will only be punished if they do not read the short description of the jetpack in the recipes tab, which is the only place that they could find the recipe.

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
It's a deliberate joke.

balance-wise, it's just making the jetpack cost spread across the armor, nothing really.

Reactions: chbachman
C

chbachman

It's a deliberate joke.

balance-wise, it's just making the jetpack cost spread across the armor, nothing really.

Sort of. It is a deliberate joke.

The calf shields cost no power, just need to be there. The extra cost comes in when you consider that you need two armour pieces to be able to fly. Not just the chest plate.

Reactions: YX33A

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
It's a deliberate joke.

Imagine that, he has the gall to balance by distributing evenly across the suit as opposed to just imposing a stupidly over complicated recipe?

Literally Hitler.

Sent from my angry toaster to distract him from destroying the planet. Some appliances just want to watch the world burn.

ThomazM

Phoenix Team Founder
Jun 11, 2013
The Immortal's Cemetery
This mod looks pretty decent. I'm not going to say it's spectacular, because, if we're being entirely honest, it isn't; The idea isn't one hundred percent original, and from what I saw in the screenshots, it doesn't seem to be as 'pretty' as it's 1.6.4 competitor. Now, I am completely sure that this has an astronomical amount of potential, specially considering the fact that the mod author actually is listening to the community's feedback - something that I always thought mod authors should do more. As is it for now, I don't think the mod is amazing or anything like that, it's 'neat'; But ffs, it's in version 0.0.1 still, so there's no legit reason to complain. I really wish this mod goes well, if it does, I'm pretty sure we will add it to PhoenixCraft, @Gideonseymour and @Qazplm601.
For now, if you really want, @chbachman, I can try to make you some textures, if you haven't done them already. I never made textures before, but I do make banners/splash arts/etc, so if you're willing to give me a chance, PM me later.

ThomazM

Phoenix Team Founder
Jun 11, 2013
The Immortal's Cemetery
No idea is original, hun.

I think this has a chance to go really far if he gives people the chance to work with it as an open sourced modular armor mod. It'd knock MMPS out of the park.

Concepts can be original; If the idea of "no idea is original" was true, wouldn't the unoriginal ideas need a starting point to be created? Wouldn't that starting point be the original? If not, the idea behind the unoriginal idea also needed a starting point - following this line, you will get the original concept of the idea. Originality is most definitely a thing; As society progresses, the true concept of originality will be more and more difficult to achieve, but it still exists.
So, no, I don't think that 'every idea is unoriginal', what I do believe is that some ideas are more originals than others. Inspiration is not the same as 'unoriginality', that's where the video is wrong. IMO, of course.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
Kay. Well following your line of this mod being unoriginal, forge is no longer a spectacular tool because Risugami did it first.

I'll tell the FTB guys to pack their stuff because tekkit did it first. I'm sure they'll be okay with that. FTB isn't anything amazing right?

I mean who cares if someone can do it better.

Sent from my angry toaster to distract him from destroying the planet. Some appliances just want to watch the world burn.

ThomazM

Phoenix Team Founder
Jun 11, 2013
The Immortal's Cemetery
Kay. Well following your line of this mod being unoriginal, forge is no longer a spectacular tool because Risugami did it first.

I'll tell the FTB guys to pack their stuff because tekkit did it first. I'm sure they'll be okay with that. FTB isn't anything amazing right?

I mean who cares if someone can do it better.

I never said originality meant quality. Something not being the most original of it's kind does not mean that it isn't the best. Forge is absolutely amazing, FTB is too, if it's predecessor (whatever term suits you better) is better or not, it doesn't really matter; In this case in particular, it truly comes down to opinion, so, if you prefer Tekkit, sure, go for it, who cares? If your point really is "who cares if someone can do it better", I kind of agree with that, to the point where the right amount of originality was put into it, as I said, that is being inspired by something, not necessarily copying it.
I mean, there are cases and cases, so there's no actual point in applying this to every single one - it simply wouldn't work, the number of variables are huge; So, for this case, I'm not saying it's a bad concept, I'm just saying that there is another mod that clearly inspired this one. Is that really too hard to understand?

Reactions: YX33A and chbachman

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
I never said originality meant quality.

"I'm not going to say it's spectacular, because, if we're being entirely honest, it isn't; The idea isn't one hundred percent original,"

Being that this was your first supporting comment to your criticism, that's pretty much exactly what you said.

Let the guy make his mod a bit more , then judge how original or inspired it is.