[0.5.1] Technomancy Discussion-Ore processing like a boss

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not changing how taint spreads, it does that fine on its own. I want to actually instill fear when someone sees a taint biome creeping up on them, make it dangerous to try and fight it. Purifying it means going in and placing blooms, but that would mean having to fight everything that thrives there.
In my opinion, adding more mobs to the area would be a bad call, because then it means you'll just make it so that to fight it you need the best armour and best weapons

I'm thinking adding more stationary monsters, so stuff that comes up and is damaging (Like how I think tanticles are like). I'm picturing a taint hydra, so a big tendril that tries to hit you if you come close to it, but the caveat about this one that you can't avoid is it will spawn smaller weaker versions of itself towards the player, so that if you let a taint biome come too close to you, you'll get these tendrils that will pop up out of the ground nearby you, and eventually in the middle of your base if you don't go and deal with the main one.

EDIT: And if you can't manage to deal with the larger tendril, having to go and periodically trim back the tendra spawns (Tenticle + hydra) to keep them from popping up in the middle of your base.

I think it's important that it targets players, so that if a taint biome is chunk loaded for some silly reason, it won't have 1001 of these taint tendrils about

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
In my opinion, adding more mobs to the area would be a bad call, because then it means you'll just make it so that to fight it you need the best armour and best weapons

I'm thinking adding more stationary monsters, so stuff that comes up and is damaging (Like how I think tanticles are like). I'm picturing a taint hydra, so a big tendril that tries to hit you if you come close to it, but the caveat about this one that you can't avoid is it will spawn smaller weaker versions of itself towards the player, so that if you let a taint biome come too close to you, you'll get these tendrils that will pop up out of the ground nearby you, and eventually in the middle of your base if you don't go and deal with the main one.

EDIT: And if you can't manage to deal with the larger tendril, having to go and periodically trim back the tendra spawns (Tenticle + hydra) to keep them from popping up in the middle of your base.

I think it's important that it targets players, so that if a taint biome is chunk loaded for some silly reason, it won't have 1001 of these taint tendrils about
Sorta what I was thinking. However, I also want great rewards. Taint Nuke anyone?

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019

Well with golems, they would just stay within 10 blocks of the node and protect it at all costs. And maybe there would be different types that would seek out nearby ethereal blooms or would plant trees that spawned the giant tainted trees or even golems that placed flux goo everywhere.[DOUBLEPOST=1394677616][/DOUBLEPOST]
http://pastebin.com/6EnGRbPg Got this crash Trying to use the node fabricator. Don't suppoer you could include some images to showcase how to set it up properly? I couldn't hook up tubes to the sides like the original images.
And that crash makes no sense for what you say you're doing. The crash calls the Tesla coil in areas it would not be possible to have that crash. Gimmeh some pics or try again. I have no idea what you did there.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Well with golems, they would just stay within 10 blocks of the node and protect it at all costs. And maybe there would be different types that would seek out nearby ethereal blooms or would plant trees that spawned the giant tainted trees or even golems that placed flux goo everywhere.

OOohhh~
I do like the idea of golems doing things like that
I was just afraid you'd add in more hostile mobs, which doesn't really balance things well

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
It seems to me like taint golems need a creator.
Maybe zombie wizards? And/or, ruins in naturally spawned taint biomes, of old and crumbled wizard towers and little magic huts overcome by taint?

Reactions: DrowElf and YX33A

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
It seems to me like taint golems need a creator.
Maybe zombie wizards? And/or, ruins in naturally spawn taint biomes, of old and crumbled wizard towers and little magic huts overcome by taint?
p8GG04W.gif

Very much diggin' the old wizard ruins idea.

Reactions: abculatter_2

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
This would be especially awesome if the ruins were centered around a tainted node, and designed to defend it with traps and such.

I'm tempted to also say a zombie wizard boss as well, but that's getting into the point mentioned earlier about how adding more hostile mobs just makes people wait until they have the best armor/weapons...

Reactions: YX33A

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
I did some testing. Seems to work pretty well for me. How are you filtering?
View attachment 10104
I added preconfigured jar labels to the coils above the jars with the corresponding essentia type. To make sure nothing was off I updated technomancy to the current version and ripped off and replaced the coils, relabled everything and relinked. Still doesn't work, although apparently it worked better, I now had only two pontentia stuck in the ignis coil (burning 16 charcoal).
I even tested if connecting the two coils on the jars would help, quite the contrary, now ignis went into the potentia coil.
Also:
  • Prevent coils from being linked to themselves. I did this by accident while the system wasn't running, don't know how it would have affected it once essentia flows
  • Prevent coils from being cross-linked. That's one sure way to kill your FPS =)

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
I added preconfigured jar labels to the coils above the jars with the corresponding essentia type. To make sure nothing was off I updated technomancy to the current version and ripped off and replaced the coils, relabled everything and relinked. Still doesn't work, although apparently it worked better, I now had only two pontentia stuck in the ignis coil (burning 16 charcoal).
I even tested if connecting the two coils on the jars would help, quite the contrary, now ignis went into the potentia coil.
Also:
  • Prevent coils from being linked to themselves. I did this by accident while the system wasn't running, don't know how it would have affected it once essentia flows
  • Prevent coils from being cross-linked. That's one sure way to kill your FPS =)
Just fixed the first one. The second one isn't as easy of a fix and in complex coil systems, isn't going to save your FPS. There is a config option to disable the coil particle effects so if this does happen it won't lag your comp to hell when you try and reset it.

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
What about a machine that soldifies vis into essentia?

Also, maybe either an expensive way to convert essentia into vis, or a wand recharge pedestal that automatically collects the aspect orbs dropped by mobs?

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
What about a machine that soldifies vis into essentia?
Azanor made it fairly clear that converting vis into essentia or vise versa should not be a thing. They are designed to be completely different systems, and merging them would allow a lot of abuse.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
Azanor made it fairly clear that converting vis into essentia or vise versa should not be a thing. They are designed to be completely different systems, and merging them would allow a lot of abuse.
Source?

I was contemplating something similar but with a large amount of loss. As in 1000 vis = 1 essentia and 1 essentia = 10 vis. Nothing that would break everything.

Reactions: abculatter_2

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
Source?

I was contemplating something similar but with a large amount of loss. As in 1000 vis = 1 essentia and 1 essentia = 10 vis. Nothing that would break everything.
Somewhere in the TC4 MCF thread a few months ago. I do not feeling like looking for it. Personally, I feel like it should be a 1 way transformation with vis being able to be condensed into essentia, but not the other way around.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
Somewhere in the TC4 MCF thread a few months ago. I do not feeling like looking for it. Personally, I feel like it should be a 1 way transformation with vis being able to be condensed into essentia, but not the other way around.
That works. But as far as I'm concerned, I've already broken just about everything Az has implmented and thrown off almost every sense of the words "Thaumcraft balance", and unless Az specificaly asks me to change it, then I'm going to keep doing it. Wouldn't hurt to break something else.

I know it's kind of a dick thing to do, but if I didn't do dick things then we wouldn't have coils that replaced pipes.

CodaPDX

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, vis is essentially the throttle that controls how fast you can progress in Thaumcraft. Until you build a node farm, you're pretty limited by how quickly the nodes near your base recharge. That said, the XP Drain wand focus from TT pretty much discards the limiter altogether and sticks a turbocharger in its place. I wouldn't be against some inefficient early game ways to get a bit more vis into a wand.

Reactions: YX33A

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
That works. But as far as I'm concerned, I've already broken just about everything Az has implmented and thrown off almost every sense of the words "Thaumcraft balance", and unless Az specificaly asks me to change it, then I'm going to keep doing it. Wouldn't hurt to break something else.

I know it's kind of a dick thing to do, but if I didn't do dick things then we wouldn't have coils that replaced pipes.
I wouldn't say it is a dick thing, but rather that it breaks the feel of Thaumcraft. Now that I am thinking about it, if the machine had a fairly large RF cost, that would make the process seem more balanced.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, vis is essentially the throttle that controls how fast you can progress in Thaumcraft. Until you build a node farm, you're pretty limited by how quickly the nodes near your base recharge. That said, the XP Drain wand focus from TT pretty much discards the limiter altogether and sticks a turbocharger in its place. I wouldn't be against some inefficient early game ways to get a bit more vis into a wand.
I wonder what I could do to fit that bill.. Oh, I got it. Try this.
2014-03-13_19.02.21.png

I'll let you figure out what's going on here.
I wouldn't say it is a dick thing, but rather that it breaks the feel of Thaumcraft. Now that I am thinking about it, if the machine had a fairly large RF cost, that would make the process seem more balanced.
Well 1000 vis is a pretty large price to pay for a single essentia. It wont' have a huge RF cost, but it's going to need a decent amount.

Reactions: Not_Steve and YX33A