[0.12.0] 1.7.10: Technomancy Discussion Thread

Mordenkainen

Jul 29, 2019
I have to say, i love experimenting with the ratios of vitium and auram to make different types of nodes.

But maybe you can explain to me what im doing wrong when trying to add aspects with the node fabricators?
I started off with a normal 85 aqua node. Tried feeding it 2 jars of aqua, nothing got added.
Tried 2 jars of terra, nothing. Then i finally tried 14 jars of terra and it ended up making the node faded, but no terra aspect.

During all attempts the node gets 0 of the new aspect, but it fades after a few minutes.

The Node Fabricator will not add new aspects to a node. It will recharge aspects that a node already have very quickly using essentia. This is potentially useful for frequently used wand recharge stations.

It will also consume the essentia even if it doesn't need to, so blowing through 14 jars of Terra doesn't surprise me at all.

I am currently making some updates to the Node Fabricator and have updated it so that it will not consume essentia it doesn't use. I have also been toying with the idea of enhancing it so that it can add new aspects to a node. I might do this, but make it extremely expensive as it is a very powerful addition.

Reactions: Xsile

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
The Node Fabricator will not add new aspects to a node. It will recharge aspects that a node already have very quickly using essentia. This is potentially useful for frequently used wand recharge stations.

It will also consume the essentia even if it doesn't need to, so blowing through 14 jars of Terra doesn't surprise me at all.

I am currently making some updates to the Node Fabricator and have updated it so that it will not consume essentia it doesn't use. I have also been toying with the idea of enhancing it so that it can add new aspects to a node. I might do this, but make it extremely expensive as it is a very powerful addition.
As I mentioned before the wording of the Thaumonomicon entry was (I say was as I have not yet properly read the apparently revised entry) vague regarding that function. It's good I'm not the only one who misunderstood the entry.
The functions should really be separated in to 2 separate paragraphs with bold headings.
It should read like;
Bla bla machine lore, crafting pattern/ cost /paragraph\ Node Recharging Description of function /paragraph\ Node Fabrication Description of function. Also stipulate the fact that the node fabricator does not ADD vis to the node but REPLENISHES.

Documentation can make or break a great mod you could be sitting on an awesome mod but if you don't know how to use it you probably wont.
I mean blood magic as an example is suuuper lucky others are documenting the mods functions for WayOfTime, otherwise I have no idea how people would progress in that mod.

Mordenkainen

Jul 29, 2019
As I mentioned before the wording of the Thaumonomicon entry was (I say was as I have not yet properly read the apparently revised entry) vague regarding that function. It's good I'm not the only one who misunderstood the entry.
The functions should really be separated in to 2 separate paragraphs with bold headings.
It should read like;
Bla bla machine lore, crafting pattern/ cost /paragraph\ Node Recharging Description of function /paragraph\ Node Fabrication Description of function. Also stipulate the fact that the node fabricator does not ADD vis to the node but REPLENISHES.

Documentation can make or break a great mod you could be sitting on an awesome mod but if you don't know how to use it you probably wont.
I mean blood magic as an example is suuuper lucky others are documenting the mods functions for WayOfTime, otherwise I have no idea how people would progress in that mod.

Since I'm making some changes to it I will look into improving the description a little more.

Tried 2 jars of terra, nothing. Then i finally tried 14 jars of terra and it ended up making the node faded, but no terra aspect.
BTW, that is a "vanilla" Thaumcraft behavior. If there is an aspect with a 0 amount in the node, there is a small chance the node will become damaged (Bright -> Normal -> Pale -> Fading). By small I mean about a 1 in 100 chance every 60 seconds or so.

Last edited:

Mordenkainen

Jul 29, 2019
The node generator is suposed to add aspects. Unfortunately, it adds aspect but they start at 0. I've already fixed this in dev and it will be out with tomorow's version.

Ah ok. I thought that the thaumonomicon entry said it wouldnt, so i thought that was intended.

I also fixed it in the dev I was working on to require a node fabricator upgraded with potency crystals, allowing the player to choose between the existing functionality and the new ability to add aspects.

I have a rather large change set pending for the node fabricator that i am just putting a few finishing touches on. Since it sounds like we both made changes to that part of the code i will probably hold off on a pull request this week so that I can merge your changes in and make sure there are no conflicts.

Just a quick rundown of the changes I have made and am in the process of polishing up:
- Essentia Coils now have animated particles similar to those used by the infusion altar to show essentia being received.
- Rewrite of the node fabricator to optimize the code and enable several visual effects.
- Fabricators can be disabled with redstone signal.
- Node fabricator no longer consumes essentia if it can not use it.
- Node Fabricator has lightning effects and the color of the lightning bolts can be used to determine which side needs Vitium and which one needs Aurum.
- Center hub of the Fabricator has an animated rotation.
- Creation of a node causes a shower of particles from the node.
- Activating the fabricator no longer immediately creates a node. Instead, over the course of about 5 seconds the center hub rotation speeds up and the frequency of lightning bolt effects increases, until the node is created.

May be removed:
- Allow Node Fabricator to be upgraded using Potency Crystals. Upgraded node fabricators can be used to add new aspects to a node. (What do people think? Should there be a way to "configure" a node fabricator to support both "Recharge" and "Add" modes?)

EDIT - Yeah, the entry for the Fabricator says: " The Fabricators will then draw all types of essentia and add them to the node, but won't exceed its original max vis size". Since the max size of an aspect the node didn't have before is "0", I thought this was the intended behavior.

Last edited:
Reactions: PierceSG

theflogat

Jul 29, 2019
Ah ok. I thought that the thaumonomicon entry said it wouldnt, so i thought that was intended.

I also fixed it in the dev I was working on to require a node fabricator upgraded with potency crystals, allowing the player to choose between the existing functionality and the new ability to add aspects.

I have a rather large change set pending for the node fabricator that i am just putting a few finishing touches on. Since it sounds like we both made changes to that part of the code i will probably hold off on a pull request this week so that I can merge your changes in and make sure there are no conflicts.

Just a quick rundown of the changes I have made and am in the process of polishing up:
- Essentia Coils now have animated particles similar to those used by the infusion altar to show essentia being received.
- Rewrite of the node fabricator to optimize the code and enable several visual effects.
- Fabricators can be disabled with redstone signal.
- Node fabricator no longer consumes essentia if it can not use it.
- Node Fabricator has lightning effects and the color of the lightning bolts can be used to determine which side needs Vitium and which one needs Aurum.
- Center hub of the Fabricator has an animated rotation.
- Creation of a node causes a shower of particles from the node.
- Activating the fabricator no longer immediately creates a node. Instead, over the course of about 5 seconds the center hub rotation speeds up and the frequency of lightning bolt effects increases, until the node is created.

May be removed:
- Allow Node Fabricator to be upgraded using Potency Crystals. Upgraded node fabricators can be used to add new aspects to a node. (What do people think? Should there be a way to "configure" a node fabricator to support both "Recharge" and "Add" modes?)

EDIT - Yeah, the entry for the Fabricator says: " The Fabricators will then draw all types of essentia and add them to the node, but won't exceed its original max vis size". Since the max size of an aspect the node didn't have before is "0", I thought this was the intended behavior.

The max vis size is the max vis size of the node. It means that every aspect can reach it but cannot exceed it. It isn't aspect specific. Also, the fix is extremly simple.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ncqf4un865sazzo/1.7.10_Technomancy_0.9.0_beta-j.jar

Node Fabricators now have a full bounding box :D
They now add aspects correctly.
You can use crystal blocks and catalysts (which don't have a name YET) to create rituals (only 2 of them are avaible with 3 tiers for the showcased one and one for the other one)

Last edited:

Dachshund

Jul 29, 2019
Hej quick question, will this mod work with DW20's 1.7.10 pack? Also i couldnt realy find any detailed info about what this mod add :(

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Hej quick question, will this mod work with DW20's 1.7.10 pack? Also i couldnt realy find any detailed info about what this mod add :(
First page. And in game Thaumonomicon.
For creative access, go to Thaumcraft's config and set cheat page to true so you can spawn in the creative Thaumonomicon.
With that you just go to the Technomancy tab and you'll be able to see what is added in this mod.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
The max vis size is the max vis size of the node. It means that every aspect can reach it but cannot exceed it. It isn't aspect specific. Also, the fix is extremly simple.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ncqf4un865sazzo/1.7.10_Technomancy_0.9.0_beta-j.jar

Node Fabricators now have a full bounding box :D
They now add aspects correctly.
You can use crystal blocks and catalysts (which don't have a name YET) to create rituals (only 2 of them are avaible with 3 tiers for the showcased one and one for the other one)

Max size of the node? Are you telling us that every node has it's own designated vis number limit.
Or are you talking about a hard coded cap? Like you can't surpass more then 9999 vis of each type? Because nodes can reach those numbers now... Mainly by abusing leveraging the behavior of hungry nodes and feeding them crafting tables, but players have done it.
Even without using fed hungry nodes you can increase a nodes capacity by feeding weaker nodes to stronger ones.
After saying that, what exactly is this max size? Is this a base thaumcraft thing or something you have coded in to the fabricator? (like it will only fill a new aspect up to equal the highest valued vis.)

Mordenkainen

Jul 29, 2019
I think this may have been something in the older versions of Thaumcraft. Looking at the latest, there does not appear to be an overall max size, but instead a max value for each given aspect.

The change @theflogat made will now cause the new aspect to be added to the node, but I still dont think its working quite right.

The new aspect will max out with a vis size of 2. Also as a side effect, it looks like the fabricator will not recharge an aspect until it is below 2, and will only charge it to 2. Finally, when it adds an aspect, if any other aspects on the node are below their max, whatever they are at then will become their max.

I suggest people hold off on using the node fabricator for anything other than creating new nodes for the moment.

I am working on updating the enhancements for the node fabricator to the new version, and in the process will address these issues. I should be able to post an unofficial build with these fixes today or tomorrow.

Mordenkainen

Jul 29, 2019
Ugh, double post!

In any case, first the obligatory warning:
This build is not supported by @theflogat and may have issues that could damage your saves! Make sure that you have a good world backup before using this!

Warning aside I have tested this quite a bit and have seen no major issues, but let me know if you find any.

Changes are:
Essential Coils:
- Now have an animation to show essentia being moved by them.
- Can be disabled via redstone signal

Dynamos:
- Properly save if they have a Potency Crystal across unloads and restarts.

Node Fabricator:
- Many new animations and effects. Let me know what you think!
- Lightning effects can be used to tell which side accepts Vitium and Auram. Just look at the color!
- No longer instantly creates a node. Now has a small "warm up" time after clicking with a wand.
- Can take a Potency Crystal upgrade. Upgraded fabricators can add new aspects to a node at a cost of 10,000 RF and 10 essentia per point.
- When recharging a node, it will no longer consume essentia it can not use. Note: There is a small bug with this detailed below.
- Can be disabled via redstone (NOTE: not quite working due to the change that added a collision box to fabricators, since you can no longer place redstone next to the fabricator block (bottom center) except in front, since you can only connect essentia tubes to the back.)

Known issues:
- Fabricators will sometimes draw essentia that does not match the type needed. This extra essentia is lost. This only seems to happen if the fabricator already contains a particular type of essentia, and you try to pump in a different type.
- Redstone control of fabricators does not work as intended.
- New collision blocks for fabricators prevent essentia tube from connecting anywhere other than the back. This may break existing builds and is an issue in theflogat's build as well.
- New collision blocks do not "map" to the main node fabricator block, which means selection box will be "funky". To activate, break, or upgrade the fabricator you must target the bottom center block. (This is the same block an essentia tube will connect to. This is an issue in theflogat's build as well.)
- New collision blocks show up strangely in Walia, and when looked at do not show the essentia/RF contents of the fabricator. Looking directly at the bottom center block shows the correct info (the same applies to Goggles of Revealing). This is an issue in theflogat's build as well.

This is an interim build and I will continue to try to solve the above issues.

Download is here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53001205/1.7.10 Technomancy 0.9.0 beta-j-unofficial.jar

Last edited:

Mordenkainen

Jul 29, 2019
Got this crash when trying to run beta-j on a server. Any idea on how to fix it?
Damn, double post again.... But I'm doing it so people watching the thread get a notification!
Ok, I have updated the version in my post above with a quick fix for the issue. But after a quick look at the code, I would suggest that Crystals, Catalysts, and Rituals not be used on a server at this point. Let me know if this fixes the problem!

theflogat

Jul 29, 2019
Damn, double post again.... But I'm doing it so people watching the thread get a notification!
Ok, I have updated the version in my post above with a quick fix for the issue. But after a quick look at the code, I would suggest that Crystals, Catalysts, and Rituals not be used on a server at this point. Let me know if this fixes the problem!

Please provide a pull request for your changes. Also, I know how to fix the bug. It is only a matter of using @SideOnly. I'll fix this once I receive your pull. Also, I'll add some features to the air blocks.

Mordenkainen

Jul 29, 2019
Please provide a pull request for your changes. Also, I know how to fix the bug. It is only a matter of using @SideOnly. I'll fix this once I receive your pull. Also, I'll add some features to the air blocks.

Done! Sorry to have posted the unofficial build, but wanted to get something out there that didn't risk damaging peoples nodes.

Last edited:

Mordenkainen

Jul 29, 2019
Just started a server with technomancy on, I could really use that fix.

The issue is worked around in the build I posted. A real fix should come some time later from theflogat.

As an added bonus, the code I submitted to theflogat also has visuals for Node Dynamos, so now you can see what nodes it is pulling vis from and what type.

EDIT: And now sound effects for the Node Fabricator!

Last edited:
Reactions: theflogat and Xsile