[1.7.10] Marooned

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
Two vanilla bows can be combined. I believe the poster requesting the bow swap is more concerned about tinkers bows though. Obviously vanilla bows will not level up, though random drops may come with usefully enchants.

Pip69

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a balance reason we can't make a TIC wood bow?
A bunch of the metal arrow heads don't have any arrow stats but you could still make the heads. You can't use them to craft arrows and In 1.21 it would crash my game if I tried to add the head to pre-made arrows.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Combining two partly-used bows is still a thing, right? (Either with or without an anvil.) Because a skele-grinder would give a pretty much unlimited supply of 'undamaged bows'.

Yes, the quest where you swap your bow for arrows actually mentions you can combine them to make a new one. The idea behind the quest is it allows you to make use of bow drops early in your quest to get extra arrows. By the time you get a grinder for unlimited bows, you'll also get heaps of arrows and won't need to do the quest anymore. It only gives you arrows and a 1 piece of food so is only really useful for the earlier stages of the game.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a balance reason we can't make a TIC wood bow?
A bunch of the metal arrow heads don't have any arrow stats but you could still make the heads. You can't use them to craft arrows and In 1.21 it would crash my game if I tried to add the head to pre-made arrows.

We haven't removed or altered the ability to make any TIC weapons in any form whatsoever. We've simply installed the mod and gone with the default settings it provides. For some reason some of them can't be made. It could be caused by another mod changing it, we haven't looked into it that deeply.

The thing to bare in mind here is that we've actually installed some mods we wouldn't normally want in the game and they are only there because other mods that we do want require them. Whether any of these unwanted mods are affecting them, we can't say, but since we have to have them we just put up with them. Its a shame some developers link their mods to existing mods but I'm sure they have their reasons and lets face it, their mods are pretty great, and without them we wouldn't have a game.

We tend to only remove items that directly affect the intended flow of the game such as certain sieves. Wooden barrels are a good example, although we require that you make a spruce barrel in an early quest, we don't stop you making other types along the way.

Hope this clears things up a bit.........

Edit: Thought I'd better clarify that the spruce barrel requirement only relates to the upcoming 1.4.0 update. I tend to forget when answering questions that you guys are still playing the old version.

Old version lol, that's only been out a few days........

Last edited:
E

Elder Sign

We haven't removed or altered the ability to make any TIC weapons in any form whatsoever. We've simply installed the mod and gone with the default settings it provides. For some reason some of them can't be made. It could be caused by another mod changing it, we haven't looked into it that deeply.

The thing to bare in mind here is that we've actually installed some mods we wouldn't normally want in the game and they are only there because other mods that we do want require them. Whether any of these unwanted mods are affecting them, we can't say, but since we have to have them we just put up with them. Its a shame some developers link their mods to existing mods but I'm sure they have their reasons and lets face it, their mods are pretty great, and without them we wouldn't have a game.

We tend to only remove items that directly affect the intended flow of the game such as certain sieves. Wooden barrels are a good example, although we require that you make a spruce barrel in an early quest, we don't stop you making other types along the way.

Hope this clears things up a bit.........

Edit: Thought I'd better clarify that the spruce barrel requirement only relates to the upcoming 1.4.0 update. I tend to forget when answering questions that you guys are still playing the old version.

Old version lol, that's only been out a few days........

The version of TiC in 1.2.1 has a few bugs with the ranged weapons, namely the arrows, it doesn't play well with other mods that add metals to the game, however I've noticed that metals that are only available from TiC seem to work fine still ie. alumite, obsidian, the nether ores and so on

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
In case anyone else was wondering....... doom creepers are in 1.3.1

2016-04-16_12.21.18.png 2016-04-16_12.21.37.png

I for one was wondering why I hadn't seen one yet.

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Which mod is it that puts the extra graphical indicators on the hunger bar? i.e., the shading/highlight additions?

RehabOholic

Jul 29, 2019
Just started this pack after watching Elder Sign(Great videos) and was wondering if mods were getting updated in the FUTURE update? Like Forge, EnderIO, etc? I was just wondering or is the FUTURE:) update just adding ruins and quest changes? Thanks again for a fun pack, look forward to playing it.

Reactions: Elder Sign

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Just started this pack after watching Elder Sign(Great videos) and was wondering if mods were getting updated in the FUTURE update? Like Forge, EnderIO, etc? I was just wondering or is the FUTURE:) update just adding ruins and quest changes? Thanks again for a fun pack, look forward to playing it.

Mod updates will be done on a case by case assessment as it means testing every quest that uses stuff from that mod. Conflicts can arise when an updated mod changes Id's etc or removes something we are using. Then we need to make sure they still play nicely with the existing mods.

We also have to take into consideration that some players tell us about conflicts or problems they may be having with a particular mod, only to find out they have already updated their version of Forge which can throw the whole balance of the existing mods out.

Its a tricky thing and not something where we can simply whack in an updated mod and have it work smoothly. We already tried that with the HQM book and discovered after nearly completing an entire re-write of the book that the then latest version [4.3.3 I think] that it had an inherent flaw where it allowed quests that were not open to be completed. We had to backtrack to a more stable version which still has problems but has at least allowed us to make a complete functioning game.

Every time we do an update, we think, yep, this is it. Can't think of any other useful improvements we can add, but then an idea occurs to us and we're off again.

The new update will add a few new things like tamable animal spawners that players can activate if they want to have them. Kinda rare but a nice reward for people who are prepared to explore. I'll be updating the main page with any other new updates we intend to add for players to see.

RehabOholic

Jul 29, 2019
Mod updates will be done on a case by case assessment as it means testing every quest that uses stuff from that mod. Conflicts can arise when an updated mod changes Id's etc or removes something we are using. Then we need to make sure they still play nicely with the existing mods.

We also have to take into consideration that some players tell us about conflicts or problems they may be having with a particular mod, only to find out they have already updated their version of Forge which can throw the whole balance of the existing mods out.

Its a tricky thing and not something where we can simply whack in an updated mod and have it work smoothly. We already tried that with the HQM book and discovered after nearly completing an entire re-write of the book that the then latest version [4.3.3 I think] that it had an inherent flaw where it allowed quests that were not open to be completed. We had to backtrack to a more stable version which still has problems but has at least allowed us to make a complete functioning game.

Every time we do an update, we think, yep, this is it. Can't think of any other useful improvements we can add, but then an idea occurs to us and we're off again.

The new update will add a few new things like tamable animal spawners that players can activate if they want to have them. Kinda rare but a nice reward for people who are prepared to explore. I'll be updating the main page with any other new updates we intend to add for players to see.

Thanks for the work you are/have put in this pack, am having fun playing. I understand on the updating mods thing. I was just thinking of some of the new stuff that was added to ender io and a few other, but it slipped my mind that forge is on a fairly older version so I guess that would cause you more headache. Thanks again:)

Was Traveling and I crashed and am unable to start my world without it crashing.
http://pastebin.com/9kRtjgN6 (Crash Report) Thanks in advance for any help given.

I would like to add, I just spotted a small volcano looking mound with lava pour out, and one of those red sand tower type ruins before the crash.

Edit# 3 I fixed it. I managed to find the drying rack that showed up in the crash report. McEdit doesn't show it for me so I had to select an area and analyzed it and keep making the box smaller until only the rack showed up when analyzing. I sad because now I want to know what item I just deleted:(

Last edited:

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the work you are/have put in this pack, am having fun playing. I understand on the updating mods thing. I was just thinking of some of the new stuff that was added to ender io and a few other, but it slipped my mind that forge is on a fairly older version so I guess that would cause you more headache. Thanks again:)

Was Traveling and I crashed and am unable to start my world without it crashing.
http://pastebin.com/9kRtjgN6 (Crash Report) Thanks in advance for any help given.

I would like to add, I just spotted a small volcano looking mound with lava pour out, and one of those red sand tower type ruins before the crash.

Edit# 3 I fixed it. I managed to find the drying rack that showed up in the crash report. McEdit doesn't show it for me so I had to select an area and analyzed it and keep making the box smaller until only the rack showed up when analyzing. I sad because now I want to know what item I just deleted:(

That's a tricky one. Possibly as a result of updating a mod like i mentioned earlier. An item hanging on a rack that no longer exists with its current ID could crash your game. With so many ruins in the game its nearly impossible to find which item has caused the problem unless I can identify the actual ruin involved. If the ruin was inside the volcano, its probably heat glass. If it was in a spire, it could be any number of things.

I'll look into it and see what I can find.....

EDIT: I notice you appear to have Fastcraft installed along with Journeyman. It may not be related but if you've changed any mods or updated any others, problems can occur that we can't help you with.

Apart from that it looks like it might be a TConstuct item on the rack that conflicted. Will do further research to see what item it is.

Last edited:

RehabOholic

Jul 29, 2019
That's a tricky one. Possibly as a result of updating a mod like i mentioned earlier. An item hanging on a rack that no longer exists with its current ID could crash your game. With so many ruins in the game its nearly impossible to find which item has caused the problem unless I can identify the actual ruin involved. If the ruin was inside the volcano, its probably heat glass. If it was in a spire, it could be any number of things.

I'll look into it and see what I can find.....

EDIT: I notice you appear to have Fastcraft installed along with Journeyman. It may not be related but if you've changed any mods or updated any others, problems can occur that we can't help you with.

Apart from that it looks like it might be a TConstuct item on the rack that conflicted. Will do further research to see what item it is.

I haven't updated any mods. Was thinking about it, but decided against it. The first thing I did was removed Fastcraft and Journymap before asking for help. I wouldn't bother pack creators with issue that I have caused myself by updating/adding mods. The ruin was the tall red clay tower with a small slab shaft going up, and down. I think it also has the agricraft water tower block. It was a drying rack/or rather what was on it. I was able to find it in Mcedit and remove it, but It doesn't show the item(Just an air block on screen in McEdit).

I would like to add that I have come across a few of those towers and this was the only one that has crashed me so far. I'm not sure if there are more than one drying rack in them, but the one that was bad was under the tower. Sorry I couldn't help more. I'm not sure if there is away to get McEdit to show items from mods because I would have been able to tell you what it was.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't updated any mods. Was thinking about it, but decided against it. The first thing I did was removed Fastcraft and Journymap before asking for help. I wouldn't bother pack creators with issue that I have caused myself by updating/adding mods. The ruin was the tall red clay tower with a small slab shaft going up, and down. I think it also has the agricraft water tower block. It was a drying rack/or rather what was on it. I was able to find it in Mcedit and remove it, but It doesn't show the item(Just an air block on screen in McEdit).

I would like to add that I have come across a few of those towers and this was the only one that has crashed me so far. I'm not sure if there are more than one drying rack in them, but the one that was bad was under the tower. Sorry I couldn't help more. I'm not sure if there is away to get McEdit to show items from mods because I would have been able to tell you what it was.

I appreciate that you would have removed those mods before asking for help but I if they were present at the time the crash occurred and they had somehow contributed to the crash, removing them afterwards wouldn't help matters. Having said that, it could have been the item on the rack. There is more than one rack in a spire and there's more than one spire. and to make matters worse, they have been changed since the update you're currently playing. Nevertheless, we'll do a backwards comparison to see if there's an ongoing problem with them.

I really suspect its a TConstruct item causing the crash as they don't tend to play well with other mods. We've actually removed as many as we could find from the racks but there's always something that somehow manages to get past us.

Actually the under the tower location helps. Still only gives us a guide as many rewards on racks are not fixed to just one item but rather a random possibility of many. If we find anything, we'll let you know what it was.

EDIT: Just gone through both versions and there really isn't any reward that is likely to have caused a problem. All rewards are pretty generic in nature and are also included in other ruins. We have found in the past that the sludge and sewage pools can cause problems when ruins spawn partially over them. They have been replaced with specially made ruins in the next update in an effort to make the game more stable.

Sorry we can't be more specific on your problem. Crashes it seems can happen when ruins generate as you approach them. Hopefully having the naturally generated pools removed will help stabilise things in the future.

We did try out the Journeyman map along with the current map and chose xaeros because it did prove to be more stable in Marooned and its features, or lack of them suited the way we wanted our game to be displayed. We initially started with Voxel but changed it for similar reasons as our game progressed to where it is now.

Last edited:
E

Elder Sign

I appreciate that you would have removed those mods before asking for help but I if they were present at the time the crash occurred and they had somehow contributed to the crash, removing them afterwards wouldn't help matters. Having said that, it could have been the item on the rack. There is more than one rack in a spire and there's more than one spire. and to make matters worse, they have been changed since the update you're currently playing. Nevertheless, we'll do a backwards comparison to see if there's an ongoing problem with them.

I really suspect its a TConstruct item causing the crash as they don't tend to play well with other mods. We've actually removed as many as we could find from the racks but there's always something that somehow manages to get past us.

Actually the under the tower location helps. Still only gives us a guide as many rewards on racks are not fixed to just one item but rather a random possibility of many. If we find anything, we'll let you know what it was.

EDIT: Just gone through both versions and there really isn't any reward that is likely to have caused a problem. All rewards are pretty generic in nature and are also included in other ruins. We have found in the past that the sludge and sewage pools can cause problems when ruins spawn partially over them. They have been replaced with specially made ruins in the next update in an effort to make the game more stable.

Sorry we can't be more specific on your problem. Crashes it seems can happen when ruins generate as you approach them. Hopefully having the naturally generated pools removed will help stabilise things in the future.

We did try out the Journeyman map along with the current map and chose xaeros because it did prove to be more stable in Marooned and its features, or lack of them suited the way we wanted our game to be displayed. We initially started with Voxel but changed it for similar reasons as our game progressed to where it is now.

One thing that I found on the fastcraft forum was that it sometimes does not play well with any of older versions of the ruins mod, so unless the version you are using is the most recent that is most likely what caused the crash.

RehabOholic

Jul 29, 2019
One thing that I found on the fastcraft forum was that it sometimes does not play well with any of older versions of the ruins mod, so unless the version you are using is the most recent that is most likely what caused the crash.

The most recent version of Fastcraft, or ruins? I am using the most recent version of fast craft. I removed it. Sorry Spaman for bothering you with this. I fixed it and shouldn't have bothered you with it. I should have known if the problem was caused by Fastcraft it would have remained even after removing it.

I thought I would try and help out by loading up the backup world and go to the same place, but the ruin didn't spawn there again. Again sorry for the headache.

E

Elder Sign

The most recent version of Fastcraft, or ruins? I am using the most recent version of fast craft. I removed it. Sorry Spaman for bothering you with this. I fixed it and shouldn't have bothered you with it. I should have known if the problem was caused by Fastcraft it would have remained even after removing it.

I thought I would try and help out by loading up the backup world and go to the same place, but the ruin didn't spawn there again. Again sorry for the headache.

The most recent version of the ruins mod

Reactions: RehabOholic

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019

Although the actual ruins mod doesn't say what version it is, it does have a changelog in which it extends all the way to version 14.4

I haven't checked to see if there's a later version and to be honest if it means updating all the current ruins, it ain't gunna happen. They are painful enough just to make small alterations to. Leave out anything at all when editing and it breaks the ruin. Even a simple comma can wreck it.

Considering we now have 5 biomes, all with their own custom made ruins along with over 50 generic ones, its too big a task to undertake.

We removed fastcraft ages ago due to it causing what we thought were problems with the ruins as crashes generally occurred when we could either see a ruin forming or it appeared after we had restarted the game.

Then of course we've added new mods since starting this project, won't mention who was mainly responsible for pointing out all these new mods;) that has brought about oh so much more work to integrate them. Wouldn't want to embarrass you, oops them.

The good news is that we've got all the new stuff in, changed certain ruins, again thanks to 'someone' finding ways to circumvent their intended purpose, lol, and are now beta testing to make sure they still play nicely together.

I decided to remove the hungry and plague zombies due to the baby ones being too fast to deal with when you're out in the open. It was either that or just removing baby ones and I think they deserve to remain to give greater variety. Also removed the gravity creeper and re-instated the Gatling skeleton. Will see how it goes before nailing it into the game though. Its mainly so players can still get out at night to fight mobs if they want to without having to worry about being 'dragged' into a creepers embrace or having super fast babies ripping your inventory from you while you try to survive.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019

Don't worry about it. Its really frustrating when your game crashes and all you want to do is get back in and keep playing.

The great thing about the ruins is because they spawn randomly, you'll never get the same world twice. Once you get a few hundred blocks away from the spawn point, its all new. what makes it great is if you get a bit of a dud world with very little in the way of interesting ruins, you can simply start a new one from your backup and try again......

E

Elder Sign

Although the actual ruins mod doesn't say what version it is, it does have a changelog in which it extends all the way to version 14.4

I haven't checked to see if there's a later version and to be honest if it means updating all the current ruins, it ain't gunna happen. They are painful enough just to make small alterations to. Leave out anything at all when editing and it breaks the ruin. Even a simple comma can wreck it.

Considering we now have 5 biomes, all with their own custom made ruins along with over 50 generic ones, its too big a task to undertake.

We removed fastcraft ages ago due to it causing what we thought were problems with the ruins as crashes generally occurred when we could either see a ruin forming or it appeared after we had restarted the game.

Then of course we've added new mods since starting this project, won't mention who was mainly responsible for pointing out all these new mods;) that has brought about oh so much more work to integrate them. Wouldn't want to embarrass you, oops them.

The good news is that we've got all the new stuff in, changed certain ruins, again thanks to 'someone' finding ways to circumvent their intended purpose, lol, and are now beta testing to make sure they still play nicely together.

I decided to remove the hungry and plague zombies due to the baby ones being too fast to deal with when you're out in the open. It was either that or just removing baby ones and I think they deserve to remain to give greater variety. Also removed the gravity creeper and re-instated the Gatling skeleton. Will see how it goes before nailing it into the game though. Its mainly so players can still get out at night to fight mobs if they want to without having to worry about being 'dragged' into a creepers embrace or having super fast babies ripping your inventory from you while you try to survive.

Glad to hear about the grav creepers leaving, they were really nasty to run into if you had died at night and respawned in that stupid sludge pool at spawn.....