Those little things that irk you about Minecraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
You waste high quality food because a lag spike makes you to eat 2 at once
Are you talking about actual lag where you held down the button enough to eat one but it didn't register yet and you kept eating or the fact that you already ate and you left the food in your hand and a second later you suddenly ate a second one when you weren't even holding the button? The latter is a bug in vanilla which is apparently now finally fixed for 1.9: https://twitter.com/dinnerbone/status/614386558779686912

Reactions: Type1Ninja

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Oh finally. It was about time. I bet boats are still broken though.

I'm already accustomed to scrolling my mouse wheel after eating to avoid this.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Oh finally. It was about time. I bet boats are still broken though.

I'm already accustomed to scrolling my mouse wheel after eating to avoid this.
I think they will basically implement the pocket edition boats at some point.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Boats... Boats will always be broken. XD
They've "fixed" boats in every major version since 1.6. I wouldn't get my hopes up. :p
(And if they ARE fixed, we can mod-break them)

Emblin

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I mean the latter. It gets so annoying when you eat your wholesome feast food, and then it eats it again and only fills half a haunch

*Edit* dang, he just ninja'd me too. Your timing is impeccable

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I mean the latter. It gets so annoying when you eat your wholesome feast food, and then it eats it again and only fills half a haunch

*Edit* dang, he just ninja'd me too. Your timing is impeccable
Who, me? :p
If you ARE talking about me - don't worry, I wait until I can telepathically tell when someone is about to press "post reply," then I press it myself just to bug them. ;)
If you're NOT, uh... I was... *waves hands like ninja* never here... *backs into shadows, where he remains visible, despite attempts to actually be a ninja*

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
That there is no "BlockWater" and "BlockFlowingWater", that inherit from BlockLiquid and BlockDynamicLiquid, that just have a special routine for creation that passes the material.water to the parent; ditto for lava.

Seriously, there is no way to tell a block of flowing lava from a block of flowing water, unless you query that block for it's material and assume that you know every possible material that can come back.

Sheesh.

From Block.java:
Code:
  blockRegistry.addObject(8, "flowing_water", (new BlockDynamicLiquid(Material.water)).setHardness(100.0F).setLightOpacity(3).setBlockName("water").disableStats().setBlockTextureName("water_flow"));

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
The water flow in a "streams" river still carry you into the sides of the river in the narrow/upstream areas.

Once you get into the large, deep regions, it works well.

TheGreatKamina

Jul 29, 2019
Then they use said machines to fill an ME drive with 10 million iron ingots that they'll never use.
...Yeah sometimes I don't understand people either.
This, seriously. In the old days when I played vanilla multiplayer, you could walk around and see all sorts of elaborate buildings and structures. On most modded servers (with things like Chisel and Carpenter's Blocks, mind you) all you see are boxy looking structures made of cobble or quarried stone, if people even bother building things at all.

mathchamp

Jul 29, 2019
I think it's mainly because in modded Minecraft, you can build all sorts of contraptions and the like and there's a great deal more to do (make high-end weapons and armor, explore other dimensions). In Vanilla, you can collect a few things but there really isn't a whole lot you can do in terms of contraptions that do tons of stuff for you, so once someone has enough diamonds for their equipment they're probably going to focus on building something more elaborate than a square house. In the modded game, rather than focusing their efforts on making the house look great aesthetically, they focus on the functionality and what is inside. Particularly for tech mods, houses are more like industrial factories than houses.

I generally build boxy buildings myself, although I generally try to replace blocks like cobble with better-looking blocks and making things look a bit cleaner once I have the resources and tools for it. I usually end up starting my base underground, though, starting inside a hill and expanding downwards as well as laterally, only building up and above the ground later on.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Even if it is boxy and full of wires/pipes- you can still make it look tidy/organised, even though its like an oil refinery on crack.
A lot of my bases are giant boxes with pipes and wires everywhere. They still look good even if they aren't pretty.​

My issue isn't people being messy, its being messy to bumrush the endgame and proceed to whine 'I'm bored- nothing to do'.
Then again- its a sandbox, build your way yadda yadda not allowed to be critical of other playstyles.
In Vanilla, you can collect a few things but there really isn't a whole lot you can do in terms of contraptions that do tons of stuff for you

Vanilla automation is a fair challenge to pull off.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Extra Cells fluid cells don't work in an SSD.

If I put them in a drive in a subnet, fluid interfaces outside that subnet can't see the contents

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
The fact that MFR seems to not have the oil fabricator, anymore. I get that it was kinda cheap, but I felt that it had a good power-to-usefulness ratio, since you needed a lot to get a small amount of oil, and only ever really used it to make lube and jet fuel. Haven't really touched BC fuel as a power source since DartCraft stopped being a thing.

mathchamp

Jul 29, 2019
The fact that MFR seems to not have the oil fabricator, anymore. I get that it was kinda cheap, but I felt that it had a good power-to-usefulness ratio, since you needed a lot to get a small amount of oil, and only ever really used it to make lube and jet fuel. Haven't really touched BC fuel as a power source since DartCraft stopped being a thing.

When it comes to blocks that make stuff that's used as fuel, I do agree that they're okay as long as the energy cost is so high that you can't make a positive energy loop and violate thermodynamics with whatever combination of mods you have (making it configurable is usually a good idea since while most mods might give a certain amount of energy for a bucket of fuel, one mod might decide to make a greater amount with some endgame machine). That way, it becomes more balanced as then the use becomes limited to more realistic stuff such as being a storage of backup energy, to fuel things that can't run off your primary energy source (e.g. converting your solar energy into fuel to fuel things that can't be run off of solar energy directly), or to be used for things other than fuel (e.g. lava to convert to obsidian). This way, if you just need a little bit, you can decide to use some of your spare energy to create it rather than having to go tap an oil well or the Nether. As well, there should be a raw material cost as well (such as plant matter or biomass to convert into oil, or stone to convert into lava).