[1.7.10] AgriCraft

InfinityRaider

Jul 29, 2019
Will you be adding support for RotaryCraft's Canola seeds?
Depends, do they plant on crops? Do they crash when planted? Do they render incorrectly? Do they not harvest?

I love this mod, it's really fun. But I seem to have a problem, I was wanting to test out the mutation speeds so I set the mutation to 100% in the config files. Problem I have now is, cross breeding plants works fine like Seeds+carrots = sugarcane, the sugarcane will pop up and grow fine. But if I try to do any normal crop improving like seed+seed = better seed, then noting happens. The plants will grow to mature and just do nothing. I let a bunch of plants go for many in game days and nothing. Is there a result of setting the mutation config too high? Or, what? Cause I haven't a clue whats going wrong.
Yes that percentage is the odds of a mutation triggering on a growth tick, so if you set it to 100 it will always trigger a mutation, but if there is no valid mutation possible nothing happens.

Mogymog

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I had assumed that the 'mutation' was either new plant species, or plant statistics changing. I was proven wrong, well we live and learn. :p

But is there a setting or any config messing that can cause optimal plant statistical upgrading? Or, is it coded in such a way that it's purely random every time?

InfinityRaider

Jul 29, 2019
You can set a difficulty and allow for single crops spreading, for the rest its random.
Also the more crops surrounding a crosscrop, the higher the chance for getting higher stats

unrequitedglares

Jul 29, 2019
So a friend and I are playing Regrowth on our own server and I am having troubles with plants spreading. The problem is I cannot seem to get them to spread at all. I can get mutations but when i set up a 4 x 4 crop/double crop situation the original plant at mature wont spread at all.

There are no errors or anything like that they just don't spread, everything else seems to be working fine with analyzing and all that. Has anyone ran into this or know what could cause it?

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
[...]
Also what did your opinion regarding Terrafimacraft turn out to be, are you looking into making it compatable?
Fair warning: this is one of my run-my-big-mouth walls of text here. You might want to get a drink before settling in to read.

Okay, having run into this post this morning and having thought long and hard on it, I have to put in some commentary here. I can't speak for the mod author on this, but having something like AgriCraft work for TFC would be a ridiculously intense undertaking and would probably end up being a mod of its own, and one that wouldn't see terribly much use. From InfinityRaider's responses, I don't think this is anything we'd see directly any time soon, at least.

Notes for people thinking "why not?" who may not know better:
  • TFC crops keep track of and deplete one of three nutrients in soil (conveniently labeled A, B, and C). Crop rotation, fallow/planted cycles and/or use of fertilizer are necessary things in the long term for farming, and place certain "need to know" demands on anything handling TFC crops.
  • TFC crops have sensitivity to climate/seasons and will flat out die off when these are incompatible with the crop. Another variable to account for, depending on the handlers for this stuff.
  • TFC crops do not operate on the typical "random tick" mechanics of vanilla plants, but are on a game timer tied to the world time, like much of TFC's other mechanics. The growth period for plants is immensely long when compared to most other modded plants, as well. This, in combination with TFC having its own hydration mechanics makes sprinklers problematic if not downright useless.
  • Crop propagation to neighbors would be a distinctly un-TFC mechanic. You're supposed to go foraging for your seeds and leveling up your Agriculture from harvesting a lot of crops in order to raise your chances for additional seeds on harvest, not just planting and forgetting crops or crossing them. Without the propagation/crossing mechanics, there's not a terrible lot you're getting from using crops in this instance.
  • Weeds would be absolutely devastating. This isn't vanilla, you won't just "punch some grass, get more seeds" here if that happens; loss of too many seeds is a serious, serious issue and even cold-death of your crop leaves the seed bag to get picked up.
  • Barring the rest of this, the stuff to make Agricraft irrigation would not at all be early game like it is in a more vanilla implementation. Planks aren't available until a (casted metal required) saw (which in play time you're usually getting around the time you find your first diamond in vanilla-based Minecraft), and iron needs the bloomery, which represents the third tier of blacksmithing (and to get there you will have gone through a lot of copper and bronze for the requisite tools, anvils, and the bloomery doors themselves; in a vanilla-based game you probably have murdered/are preparing to murder the Ender Dragon by this point in gameplay time). While recipes could be adjusted, it's just more pain to force it to fit in.
TL;DR: While these mods both have a superficial sharing of a "rustic" aesthetic, in my opinion and on examination of their respective mechanics they do not go well together and would represent a considerable development investment that it doesn't sound like the author has time for, and that ultimately would not get appreciable use because the gameplay aesthetics do not at all align. TFC is supposed to mug you and leave you in an alley wondering what just happened, particularly during the learning curve, while vanilla-based farming is glutted with resources.

(And I say all of this as somebody who is neck-deep in both a TFC playthrough and a Regrowth playthrough. Totally different aspects of problem solving itches going on here.)

GrammieFi

Jul 29, 2019
thephoenixlodge, if I want to use a different mutation for, say, a harvestcraft seed, rather than the default, do I have to remove the default recipe first? Or does putting in the new mutation recipe cancel the old one?

Also, is this: BaseBlock.remove(seedIron, minecraft:Iron_Ore); <- the right way to remove the base block requirement from the Agricraft resource seeds?

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure about the first part, but for the second part you want (assuming you've used "import mods.agricraft.growing.BaseBlock;") "BaseBlock.remove(<AgriCraft:seedFerranium>, <minecraft:iron_ore>, 1);"

GrammieFi

Jul 29, 2019
The "import mods.agricraft.growing.BaseBlock;" thing is in the code he said I could use to work from. He used aliases (or whatever they're called) for seed names, so where there were none for resources I wanted to use I just copied the format of his. Thus seedIron is supposed to be equivalent to typing out <Agricraft:seedFerranium>. I think. The ores I didn't assign aliases for. I'll have to fix those. Thanks.

Also, I'm not sure I've got the names right for the thermal foundation ores. Looking them up in NEI just gives me the common names for them, not the code-ish names. They use metadata and using "give ID#" doesn't yield satisfactory results. And I'm pretty certain I don't have the aluminum ore block name from TiC right. That one says it's seared brick + some metadata value. Anyone know how to accurately find those names? I'm very code challenged, so please let it be simple. *begs*

GrammieFi

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks. That will help.

Also, InfinityRaider, in the config, this line:
# set to true to regenerate a default mutations file (will turn back to false afterwards)
B:GenerateDefaults=false
-- doesn't turn back to false after you run the game. I have to manually reset it to false. Not a big deal but I thought you might like to know.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
A bunch of really good points snipped for brevity
This. SO much this.

However, I could see a very different implementation of this idea. Let's look back at ancient Rome. Why did they grow so numerous? Well, they pretty much stole the idea of the aqueduct and irrigation channels from the Greeks and expanded upon the idea. So, let's see if I can adequately describe a TFC-esque implementation...

First off, the channels are probably going to have to be chiselled stone. This won't be your first setup, but it IS a way to get water to somewhere other than a shore, which is something otherwise impossible until you hit Blue Steel. Gating this behind some kind of tool metal seems fair enough, considering what you are doing with it.

Second off, you're going to need a way to get the water up to the top of your aqueduct. The easiest is a water wheel attached to a windmill, which is a significant engineering challenge. Remember, the further you want the water to go, the higher you're going to need your starting point to be.

In brief, you use this to move water further inland, then you can grow crops without immediate water sources around because you are effectively piping it in.

Reactions: InfinityRaider

thephoenixlodge

Jul 29, 2019
thephoenixlodge, if I want to use a different mutation for, say, a harvestcraft seed, rather than the default, do I have to remove the default recipe first? Or does putting in the new mutation recipe cancel the old one?

Also, is this: BaseBlock.remove(seedIron, minecraft:Iron_Ore); <- the right way to remove the base block requirement from the Agricraft resource seeds?
Close, but if you look over the MT integration wiki on the Agricraft Github you'll see that to remove a base block it would just be:
Code:
BaseBlock.clear(seedIron);

Also, @Yulife, I understand you've added documentation for MT support added by other mods to the main MT wiki. Any chance you could copy over the Agricraft MT documentation from the Agricraft Github too?

And @InfinityRaider, you might want to remove the extended SeedMutation.add(result, parent1, parent2, type, block) from the 1.3 MT integration doc on the wiki on github, since that's not actually a thing in 1.3 due to being split off as the BaseBlock stuff.

Yulife

Jul 29, 2019
Close, but if you look over the MT integration wiki on the Agricraft Github you'll see that to remove a base block it would just be:
Code:
BaseBlock.clear(seedIron);

Also, @Yulife, I understand you've added documentation for MT support added by other mods to the main MT wiki. Any chance you could copy over the Agricraft MT documentation from the Agricraft Github too?

And @InfinityRaider, you might want to remove the extended SeedMutation.add(result, parent1, parent2, type, block) from the 1.3 MT integration doc on the wiki on github, since that's not actually a thing in 1.3 due to being split off as the BaseBlock stuff.
Sure, but please remind me in a few hours about it xD

Reactions: InfinityRaider

Yulife

Jul 29, 2019
Just took a peek at the MT support, why is oredict a bolean? It should be equal to an ItemStack in terms of uses in ALL functions =]

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Depends, do they plant on crops? Do they crash when planted? Do they render incorrectly? Do they not harvest?

They do not plant on cropsticks nor can the seeds be inserted into the seed analyzer.

Edit: Oh, and of course. I'm asking for native support. I've not yet tried adding it in as a custom crop. Will be trying to do so and hopefully it will work.

thephoenixlodge

Jul 29, 2019
Just took a peek at the MT support, why is oredict a bolean? It should be equal to an ItemStack in terms of uses in ALL functions =]
You're misinterpreting that. Its a boolean to say whether or not the baseblock should use the oredictionary to detect or not. It is a bit odd now that I actually think about it though - it would make more sense for the base block to just be an IIngredient rather than IItemStack since that would just mean it supports oredict based input. @nimO IIRC the MT support is your department right?

InfinityRaider

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks. That will help.

Also, InfinityRaider, in the config, this line: -- doesn't turn back to false after you run the game. I have to manually reset it to false. Not a big deal but I thought you might like to know.
Thanks for notifying me, but that config is going to go away anyway, so its not really a problem.

IIRC the MT documentation should be split in 1.2 and 1.3, if not, I'll make sure it is.

Because it either looks for that specific block, or for blocks with the same oredict tag

They do not plant on cropsticks nor can the seeds be inserted into the seed analyzer.

Edit: Oh, and of course. I'm asking for native support. I've not yet tried adding it in as a custom crop. Will be trying to do so and hopefully it will work.
If they don't plant, you need to go to Reika and tell him to make his seeds extend ItemSeeds instead of just implementing IPlantable.

Thanks for clearing this up, so no it will definatly not happen any time soon.

Yulife

Jul 29, 2019
You're misinterpreting that. Its a boolean to say whether or not the baseblock should use the oredictionary to detect or not. It is a bit odd now that I actually think about it though - it would make more sense for the base block to just be an IIngredient rather than IItemStack since that would just mean it supports oredict based input. @nimO IIRC the MT support is your department right?
I had the same thing with @BluSunrize, he used a bolean for OreDict in his support as well.