DLC for Minecraft?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Real question to me is: Why the hell would anyone choose to play MC on a console in the first place...

It's actually a slightly different MC. Some of the differences really appeal to console players.

Everyone gets a map by default, and players show up on the map. ( Though you can take yourself off if you want to. ) Crafting is completely different: It's a lot like the creative tabs ( though there's more tabs ), that just automatically use the ingredients. So, no need to memorize crafting patterns.

That being said, there's also several more annoyances: Paintings and item frames are very limited. ( It doesn't seem to be a single hard number. You can place say 100, it'll tell you you have too many and can't place any more, so you remove 50... and it still says you have too many. )

Same with animals, and the animals one is quite low. ( Probably because they are the laggiest entities. )

There's also quite a lot less mobs. ( Probably due to the above. )

Oh, you can thank Microsoft for the world sizes being so tiny. It's due to their restrictions on save file size.

Obviously, those of us from modded PC would never want to play on console MC, but for console players looking for vanilla MC, it works for them.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Obviously, those of us from modded PC would never want to play on console MC, but for console players looking for vanilla MC, it works for them.
I also don't understand people who play vanilla for that matter. Specially when mods are available for free, but that is a whole other discussion :p

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
I also don't understand people who play vanilla for that matter. Specially when mods are available for free, but that is a whole other discussion :p
That is actually a much more interesting (and less drama inducing) topic overall. The answer is fairly simple and is the same for modding all games, is generally one of four; complete ignorance (obvious I know), unwillingness to accept change, not technically inclined enough (or believes them self to be so), and finally has some weird prejudice against mods or the modding community.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
You forgot that some vanilla players like the fact that they can keep a persistent world between vanilla updates. Modders can't do that ATM.

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
You forgot that some vanilla players like the fact that they can keep a persistent world between vanilla updates. Modders can't do that ATM.
I was generalizing to all modded games. Minecraft is one of the few (the only one that I know of, but there are likely others) mod-able games where it is updated regularly in a manner which changes how mods are installed, making that problem almost exclusive to MC.

Reactions: RedBoss

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019

It's simply a progression. I refused to play PC Minecraft for a long time because I'm an older person and it seemed like a young person's game, not an adult's game (hey, humor me a little, I know I was wrong). But I did have an Xbox and it was only 20 bucks, so I gave it a shot. I never thought I'd still be playing it 3 years later, but I am... but if it wasn't for the Xbox version, I still might be that stubborn dummy who refused to try it.

And I probably don't need to say it, but... if it wasn't for modded Minecraft, I can guarantee I would have long ago gotten bored with the game and stopped playing. So for me, it was a progression from Xbox version, to PC vanilla version, and finally to PC modded version. Unfortunately, I seem to be now getting a bit bored with modded Minecraft too... you can only do Thaumcraft and Forestry Bees so many times before you begin to realize it doesn't have the same "thrill factor" that it did the first time. That's why new mods and new game modes like "Quest Mode" are so important. The game needs this vibrant community that sprung up around mods and launchers, please don't ever go away!

Last edited:
Reactions: PierceSG and Inaeo

Museli

Jul 29, 2019
About three thousand years ago, a wise man said "everything is worth what it's purchaser will pay for it". It's still true today. I've bought the odd skin pack for various games for the price of a coffee, and I choose to 'pay' for some Minecraft mods by donating to the creators. If you don't want to pay for stuff, and you're happy with what you can get for free, all power to you.

As for the Xbox version of Minecraft, most of the people I know who play it either don't own PCs, or at least don't use them for gaming. They're happy enough with their version, although I wonder if they still would be if they had access to the PC version for a bit.

Reactions: Renton Terrace

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
About three thousand years ago, a wise man said "everything is worth what it's purchaser will pay for it". It's still true today. I've bought the odd skin pack for various games for the price of a coffee, and I choose to 'pay' for some Minecraft mods by donating to the creators. If you don't want to pay for stuff, and you're happy with what you can get for free, all power to you.

As for the Xbox version of Minecraft, most of the people I know who play it either don't own PCs, or at least don't use them for gaming. They're happy enough with their version, although I wonder if they still would be if they had access to the PC version for a bit.

The people I knew on Xbox wouldn't join me on PC when I made the switch. They all told me "Xbox is easy to connect and play, PC is a pain in the neck". With Xbox, you fire up the game and invite your friends, and within seconds you're all talking on the microphone and playing in the same world. Today, on PC, there is "Minecraft Realms" but this was a couple of years ago and there was none of that stuff. Connecting to play with other real people was not easy, you had to set up a server and all that stuff - too complicated for a lot of people (don't get me started or I'll start to go into my George Carlin-style of rant about our dumbed down education system. You don't want that. LOL).

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Why? Why the hell would Xbox users put up with that?
The answer to this quandry is within your question.

Why would they put up with it? Well because they are Xbox users.
Not that they are dumb, but becasue they have been so used to DLC that they don't know that there's another way, so they don't complain becasue they don't feel they have to.

Reactions: RedBoss

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Why? Why the hell would Xbox users put up with that?
They have done this since 2012 or whenever MCX360 launched. They waste money on an online subscription, why do you think?

There is also an idiotic cost for publishing updates because microsoft is a bunch of moneygrubbing scumbags.*

*definitely not a quote from nerf now exceptchanging valve to microsoft

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Its sad to me how quickly this thread turned into a PC vs Xbox debate (with no support from the XBL community). As stated above, Minecraft on consoles is an entry point for a lot of people. Pocket edition is also an entry point these days, but I don't hear anyone screaming at the idea of vanilla MC in your pocket for a few bucks. The game in both cases is limited due to the technology on which they are being played - we all must admit here that Minecraft is a hog. So far as the financial ripoff side of things, I figure people will pay what they deem the content worth. Vote with your wallet - dont like it, don't buy it. Simple really.

In some respects, the idea that these people don't know what they are missing is completely true. I would say moreso that it is social circle dependent. I played on Xbox for a good while after I had purchased the PC version simply because that was the only way I could play with my friends. Over time, my friends bought PC for various reasons, and I started hanging out in a new social circle or two, where I met more people who played MC on PC. This was my intro to nodded MC. But if in hadn't spent the $20 on a console version, limited as it may have been, I would never have enjoyed so much quality game in the long run.

Reactions: Museli and asb3pe

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
Its sad to me how quickly this thread turned into a PC vs Xbox debate (with no support from the XBL community). As stated above, Minecraft on consoles is an entry point for a lot of people. Pocket edition is also an entry point these days, but I don't hear anyone screaming at the idea of vanilla MC in your pocket for a few bucks. The game in both cases is limited due to the technology on which they are being played - we all must admit here that Minecraft is a hog. So far as the financial ripoff side of things, I figure people will pay what they deem the content worth. Vote with your wallet - dont like it, don't buy it. Simple really.

In some respects, the idea that these people don't know what they are missing is completely true. I would say moreso that it is social circle dependent. I played on Xbox for a good while after I had purchased the PC version simply because that was the only way I could play with my friends. Over time, my friends bought PC for various reasons, and I started hanging out in a new social circle or two, where I met more people who played MC on PC. This was my intro to nodded MC. But if in hadn't spent the $20 on a console version, limited as it may have been, I would never have enjoyed so much quality game in the long run.
This hasn't turned into a PC v Xbox debate, this has turned into Microsoft is horrible because of how they treat their customers thread.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
This hasn't turned into a PC v Xbox debate, this has turned into Microsoft is horrible because of how they treat their customers thread.

You can scrutinize Microsoft if you like, but I find 99% of game publishers to be just as bad, though not as visibly so. The 1% of developers and publishers who don't push out overpriced crap for a living are sadly either going bankrupt or are fielding buyout offers.

Reactions: Museli and RedBoss

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
You can scrutinize Microsoft if you like, but I find 99% of game publishers to be just as bad, though not as visibly so. The 1% of developers and publishers who don't push out overpriced crap for a living are sadly either going bankrupt or are fielding buyout offers.

Yep, my two favorite games are Minecraft and Planetside 2... or I should say, "were" my 2 favorite games. Sony Online Entertainment decided to sell their games division recently out of the blue to some vulture (oops I mean Venture) capitalist Wall Street outfit with direct ties to some Ukrainian billionaire who certainly doesn't need my Federal Reserve Notes being sent his way.

And then I had ONE favorite game. LOL sigh Just waiting for Microsoft to ruin this one just like they ruined all my OTHER favorite games at the time (Links386 golf and Microsoft Flight Simulator). Quite honestly, billionaire Bill Gates doesn't need my Federal Reserve Notes either, to fund his bizarre "Foundation"... whenever you read the word "philanthropy" you should be very nervous indeed. But it's such a nice, feel-good sounding word... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I started playing Minecraft on Xbox, but after a few months of non-stop play (I absolutely fell in love with the game), I began to understand that I had made a terrible mistake. The Xbox world size is often listed at around 1000x1000 blocks but I stepped it off and it turned out to be 864x864 blocks with a hard border you could not go past, and ocean surrounded all the land so the "surface-buildable" area was even less than that. I could walk from one corner of the map to the opposite corner in a single Minecraft day.

Think about that. An 864x864 world size. And for a few months I was okay with that, until I learned that the PC version was literally (if not practically, slightly less) INFINITE in size.

I really burned me that I had already bought the game for $20 and then had to purchase it again for another $20 to play it on PC, but I guess I just needed to chalk it up to my own stupidity for deciding it was a better game for my console than my PC. Live and learn!

Then I discovered modded Minecraft, and haven't looked back.

P.S. Someone literally re-wrote the entire code (translated it) so it would work on Xbox. It took them many months, and each Mojang update had to be re-written and converted so they were always way behind in versions. But at least it explains why people had to pay separately for each version, Xbox and PC. There was a sizeable labor cost involved (apparently) for firm that did the re-programming.

I bought MCPE at $5.99 after playing a similar game on my tablet that was closer to PC Minecraft's world size after watching a few Rooster Tooth videos only to get a 256x256 Vanilla world. Luckily tablet/phone Apps are cheaper than Console games (which, being non-upgradable are a waste of good cash anyway).

After that I got the real thing and haven't looked back.