DLC for Minecraft?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
Well, resource packs aren't exactly on the top priority list, and the skin packs aren't really expensive, so I don't think its a big deal for them.
That is just throwing money away, don't they ever look at the freedom PC users have?

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
They did the same thing with textures for halloween;
Charging x$ for the themed xbox packs
With playstation [and PC?] released several days later- AFTER halloween
And the textures themselves were [allegedly] direct copies from community created works.
(basically ripping off someones textures and selling it as their own creation)​

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
I'm not sure what it takes to get custom content onto the console versions.
If theres a [artificially] limited market then supply and demand would dictate the price.​
Also thats kinda how a large part of the console [and PC] markets work- so some users just take it as regular workings without actually realising this stuff is normally free.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
pEh65il.jpg

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I started playing Minecraft on Xbox, but after a few months of non-stop play (I absolutely fell in love with the game), I began to understand that I had made a terrible mistake. The Xbox world size is often listed at around 1000x1000 blocks but I stepped it off and it turned out to be 864x864 blocks with a hard border you could not go past, and ocean surrounded all the land so the "surface-buildable" area was even less than that. I could walk from one corner of the map to the opposite corner in a single Minecraft day.

Think about that. An 864x864 world size. And for a few months I was okay with that, until I learned that the PC version was literally (if not practically, slightly less) INFINITE in size.

I really burned me that I had already bought the game for $20 and then had to purchase it again for another $20 to play it on PC, but I guess I just needed to chalk it up to my own stupidity for deciding it was a better game for my console than my PC. Live and learn!

Then I discovered modded Minecraft, and haven't looked back.

P.S. Someone literally re-wrote the entire code (translated it) so it would work on Xbox. It took them many months, and each Mojang update had to be re-written and converted so they were always way behind in versions. But at least it explains why people had to pay separately for each version, Xbox and PC. There was a sizeable labor cost involved (apparently) for firm that did the re-programming.

Reactions: PierceSG

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Think about that. An 864x864 world size

Its something I learned from the community;
I always assumed it had an [semi]infinite world, as there is [was?] very little-if anything- official saying you get a very limited world size.
(or if it was limited for memory reasons; at least something reasonable/configurable- so you could get a 10k x 10k world if memory permits)​
Which is a massive stinger considering the PC version had [near] infinite worlds long before the console port.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
They also charge for texture packs... So dumb.This is what I am scared off for the PC version...
I wouldn't mind paying more for MC in some form if we got some better development on better performance and mod support.
But yeah fear we just get micro transactions to line some coorporations pockets...

Reactions: asb3pe