Really stupid things that people have said about Modded MC(Off topicness makes moderators tired)

Is this a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 66 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • if people don't get out of control

Votes: 68 18.8%
  • POTATOES

Votes: 210 58.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
But...function calls cost memory...and processor time....
At least, they did (in amounts large enough to worry about) in FORTRAN back when people still used punchcards (at least, I think that's the right timeframe- I'm paraphrasing a quote I read a while back that included a year that I've forgotten). If I remember correctly, that was one of LISP's selling points back in the day- function calls in LISP are cheap. Which is important in a language that is literally nothing but function calls all the time.

These days, computers are powerful enough that adding in a few extra layers of functions has an impact far too small to notice in the vast majority of cases.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Wait...why would Mojang ever...gah Mojang you hurt me. I mean at least have a setServerSide and a setClientSide or something
My absolute favorite one I learned from @Reika (I'm pretty sure on the source, but don't quote me on it:p) was that the anvil code is inside the GUI class. I think it was back when someone suggested the Bedrock Anvil

The really sad thing is that Notch can't open-source MC like he said he was going to a long time ago. If the base game went open source? And, you know, actually had people that accepted PR's. That would be awesome.

The pipe dream makes me sad now

Last edited:

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
My absolute favorite one I learned from @Reika (I'm pretty sure on the source, but don't quote me on it:p) was that the anvil code is inside the GUI class. I think it was back when someone suggested the Bedrock Anvil
That is just horrific...
The really sad thing is that Notch can't open-source MC like he said he was going to a long time ago. If the base game went open source? And, you know, actually had people that accepted PR's. That would be awesome.

The pipe dream makes me sad now
Well they could saying it was illegal to compile the game. But I don't think MICRO$OFT would do that

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
At least, they did (in amounts large enough to worry about) in FORTRAN back when people still used punchcards (at least, I think that's the right timeframe- I'm paraphrasing a quote I read a while back that included a year that I've forgotten). If I remember correctly, that was one of LISP's selling points back in the day- function calls in LISP are cheap. Which is important in a language that is literally nothing but function calls all the time.
I made a reference to this as well.

Hyperme

Popular Member
Apr 3, 2013
The important thing to remember is that your CPU only has so many registers. If you want to write the best code, you need to take that into account. RAM access can take a whole 10 nanoseconds!

(protip: compilers attempt to do this for you. attempting to write MC mods using only 8 variables will fail.)

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019

These days, computers are powerful enough that adding in a few extra layers of functions has an impact far too small to notice in the vast majority of cases.
I was joking....

Hyperme

Popular Member
Apr 3, 2013
I just got your lovely mod download warning with a copy of SquidAPI-1.0.3.jar that I downloaded from Curse. I had started the game with the same file dozens of times without this warning, so I'm not sure what's up. It's incredibly irritating to have to check individual websites for mod updates, so I'll be disappointed if you've decided to take your files off Curse. It's bad enough that you don't post changelogs there.

In an event that should surprise literally nobody, this happened. Also I totally called it!

Reactions: Padfoote
Status
Not open for further replies.