Really stupid things that people have said about Modded MC(Off topicness makes moderators tired)

Is this a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 66 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • if people don't get out of control

Votes: 68 18.8%
  • POTATOES

Votes: 210 58.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think the kids around here are all that smart. The basics of algebra (variables) is basically as easy to grasp as doing the math in the first place. You've got 10 apples, a friend comes by and you give them some of your apples, when they leave you have 4 apples left. How many apples did you give your friend? 10 - x = 4. What do ya know, algebra :p. Now I might have issues teaching them the kinds of things you learn in Algebra 2 or something, but excepting certain specific topics, the math you learn until high school isn't that difficult to grasp if you have the desire to do so. Math is totally taught ass-backwards in school. They give you meaningless problems and never show you WHY the things your learning are useful, or what they will lead into. I use basic algebra all the time! I use it in the store, I use it when I'm converting measurements, I use it when I'm planning to build something. Now matricies, proofs, and graphing? Them I don't use. Well I do sorta use matricies... though not manually. Image manipulation is done using matrix techniques, isn't it?

The biggest problem, the desire to learn. People that want to learn something can learn basically anything. There are probably actually topics that you can't learn because they are truly beyond your mental capabilities (even if it's just space in memory, or number of working concepts required to juggle at once), but that list is miniscule compared to what anyone of average intellect CAN understand if they wanted to.

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think the kids around here are all that smart. The basics of algebra (variables) is basically as easy to grasp as doing the math in the first place. You've got 10 apples, a friend comes by and you give them some of your apples, when they leave you have 4 apples left. How many apples did you give your friend? 10 - x = 4. What do ya know, algebra :p. Now I might have issues teaching them the kinds of things you learn in Algebra 2 or something, but excepting certain specific topics, the math you learn until high school isn't that difficult to grasp if you have the desire to do so. Math is totally taught ass-backwards in school. They give you meaningless problems and never show you WHY the things your learning are useful, or what they will lead into. I use basic algebra all the time! I use it in the store, I use it when I'm converting measurements, I use it when I'm planning to build something. Now matricies, proofs, and graphing? Them I don't use. Well I do sorta use matricies... though not manually. Image manipulation is done using matrix techniques, isn't it?

The biggest problem, the desire to learn. People that want to learn something can learn basically anything. There are probably actually topics that you can't learn because they are truly beyond your mental capabilities (even if it's just space in memory, or number of working concepts required to juggle at once), but that list is miniscule compared to what anyone of average intellect CAN understand if they wanted to.
I am on a robotics team, and we have a member who is not interested in learning anything besides being an annoyance. He is smart, but it is hard to teach someone when they spend most of the time on their iThingy.

Reactions: 1SDAN

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
That's basically what my parents did: they taught me to think rationally and didn't beat around the bush when I came to them with questions. They did make it age-appropriate, of course, which I do think is important. That said, by the time they're in 2nd or 3rd grade, most kids are exposed to almost all the "bad stuff" more protective parents try to keep them away from. I won't use my personal experience as a baseline, mostly because I was exposed to Cheech and Chong, as well as Beavis and Butt-Head, at an early age, but kids aren't gonna be terribly harmed by broaching certain...topics when they start to make their metamorphosis into even less controllable douchebags adults.

Yeah, I knew how reproduction worked reasonably well at the age of 4 (intercourse made NO sense before puberty though. It was like "I get that guys produce sperm, and it meets with the egg inside a woman's womb, and the baby grows over 9 months... but why would any sane person want to stick that in there?") It was fun flustering adults by using clinical terms and flaunting my knowledge of biology :p

I understood death by 6 (gods my grandmother dying wrecked me for a long time)

So I'm probably a bit biased on that, but kids can handle basically anything they want thrown at them, unless it's a deceptively dangerous topic, or the knowledge itself can be dangerous. I'm not teaching anyone how to make thermite, not even adults, unless I know they're responsible. The birds and the bees is actually safer to have early and completely frankly than beating around the topic. Before you hit puberty and the idea of sex becomes a pleasant one, the raw mechanics of intercourse are one of the best deterrents you can possibly imagine. It's also easy to instill in children the fact that babies are HARD WORK, and sex can make babies. Have a kid babysit a 1-2 year old under supervision, they won't want kids for a VERY long time :)

Then again that's my strategy for everything. Let 'em try it if it's not truly dangerous. Show them the consequences. Reality is amazing at teaching people itself :p

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Yeah, I knew how reproduction worked reasonably well at the age of 4 (intercourse made NO sense before puberty though. It was like "I get that guys produce sperm, and it meets with the egg inside a woman's womb, and the baby grows over 9 months... but why would any sane person want to stick that in there?") It was fun flustering adults by using clinical terms and flaunting my knowledge of biology :p
I learned at 18 from a biology textbook, and it took another two years to not imagine it as some clinical and unpleasant experience...

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, my mother never had "the talk" with me. I made it abundantly clear that I knew the whole subject already and the whole ordeal would be so much nicer if we just skipped it as useless.

@Reika See what I mean? The clinical unfeeling description of sex makes it seem disgusting, messy, unpleasant, and/or painful. Which it can be when done wrong (and right for that matter), so it's not like learning about sex via a biology text (or a chat modeled after that) is WRONG, it just pointedly omits the addictive part :)

CoolSquid

Jul 29, 2019
@Reika, some of the code in ReikaPlayerAPI is very overcomplicated... You don't need to hack around with NBT to set the food level of a player.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I learned at 18 from a biology textbook, and it took another two years to not imagine it as some clinical and unpleasant experience...

I was repulsed by the very concept of physical intimacy until I was 21. The thought of allowing a person that close disgusted me as it appeared weak and foolish. ...I still don't get what all the hullabaloo regarding it is all about, though. Its fine, but seriously, there's far more interesting things to do with your time.

CoolSquid

Jul 29, 2019
DragonAPI is awesome. I might use it as an optional dependency some day... Also, Rotarycraft has an API, nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.