[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Yep, enjoyed the video too @The Mobius Archives , also I can't thank you enough for showing that CustomNPCs crafting table thingy, would never have discovered that!

Keep it up!

Thanks! The crafting table was a bit of a surprise for me too. I was looking for an old-timey cash register that I thought CustomNPCs had when I stumbled across it.

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
Woo! Mod pack downloading!

Wrote down some thoughts earlier while I was working on Agriculture.

***The rest of this post is WIP--it can and probably will be changed, and is officially unofficial at this point in time***

comments/suggestions, as always, are appreciated.

I'mthinking of changing how I've done things up until now (and getting rid of the agricultural councils. That was a bad idea, I see that now).

It has been "make lots of farms, and each farm can only have x."

Now I'm thinking it might be better to go for mega-farms (kind of what we have today), where there's the Farmer who has the land, and then a bunch of people that work it. And even more than that--one farm can have multiple (or all) kinds of farming in the same mega-farm. You could actually have a "single" farm be an entire town. In that case, the farmer would end up being more of an unofficial Noble with a massive estate producing tons of food.

This may change to an actual Feudal model where Nobles actually own the land. The highest Noble is in charge of the entire farm, lesser Nobles in charge of each Specialty as a Foreman (or a/the highest Noble is in charge of all Farms in a certain Outlier/Region/Kingdom/Empire).

.......that makes way more sense than the DF "whiny noble" I've had up 'til now.

Disclaimer: I AM working on a spreadsheet for all of this, where you will be able to just punch in your variables, ticking off bonuses, etc and get totals.

Some thoughts about this process:

food requirements removed/lowered for people working on the farm (ie their produce would be above and beyond what they eat). Livestock/Rideables/pets raised on a farm that produces their food have lowered food requirements. Estates (Noble or otherwise) that have food-producing farms on their grounds have reduced food requirements.

Have standardised "base" farm houses, each specialty has buildings that give bonuses. Workers that are housed in a dormitory don't produce as much food as those that have nicer rooms (I'd probably go no higher than 2 people sharing a room give highest bonuses on a scale of massive bed dormitory for 1-200 (or far less :p) farmworkers to lots of 2-people rooms). If you did go the dorm route the requirements would probably be a bed/double chest per worker, and requirements per worker would escalate from there (but not too high. Probably a bed, double chest, and 5-6 decorative items per worker--with things like carpets/paintings counting for multiple workers).

Farms that only have one agricultural specialty produce way more than a farm that does most/everything (on a sliding scale from one specialty to ALL OF THEM). However, symbiotic specialties can work together to boost output to nearly the same levels (ie livestock+farming=bonus to both [manure/food native to the farm--each different type of manure would add to the bonus--kennel/rideable/livestock], Cat Kennels+Granary=bonus, or more obviously Bees/Orchards, etc.).

....also--I've come up with rough numbers for farmhands by race. These numbers effect their output, and will also be amplified if a member of that race is put in position over the entire farm, or named Foreman of a specialty (Foremans not as much as the owner). Keep in mind that the race personalities are heavily influenced by Dwarf Fortress/Masterwork Dwarf Fortress:

Farmhand bonuses do not count towards the entire farm. The Farmhands must be focused, and should be focused where their natural abilities lie (ie Kobold Mushroom farmers, Dorf underground farmers, Witches for magic, etc)

If you do follow this list, keep in mind that this is a first draft, and will change.

Humans: +5 Horses (and other Rideables) [Or no bonuses in case you don't want to bother with the bonuses at all?]
Zombie Pigmen: +5 Livestock
Dwarves: +5 Pets (Kennels)
Sober Dorf Farmhands: +5 Subterranean Farm Plots. -10 Surface Farm Plots
Merdorf: x2 Fishing Yield
Testificates: +5 Surface Farm Plots. -10 Subterranean Farm Plots
Kobolds: +10 Mushrooms. -100% Farm Plots (Any), -100% Livestock (Except Mooshrooms), +1 Pets, +5 Mooshrooms
Witches: +5 Magical Farm Plots, +2 Magical Trees
Necrotic Elves: +3 Magical Livestock/Pets
Elves: +10 Trees
Pureblood Goblins: +10 Lumber Trees (They love chopping stuff down), +5 Flying Bats (if applicable)

Did I miss any vanilla crop types?

Specialties (list as I have now):

Farming [food plants]
Plantation [non-food farm plants]
Orchards [Lumber, food producing, non-food products in trees that aren't for lumber ( , tree breeding)]
Ranch [Livestock]
Kennel [Pets]
Stables [Rideables]
Beekeeping
Fishing

Kobold get distracted so easily, they end up eating and trampling more food than they produce, and end up releasing more Livestock/Rideables in their attempts to get a closer look at them if they try to help (Except Mooshrooms, for some reason).

Remembering tales of ancient Carp that used to drag them into the water and kill them, Dwarves steadfastly refuse to fish in anything but full Iron battle armor and an Iron Sword (Does not apply to Merdorfs)

Zombie Pigmen excel at raising Livestock. Perhaps it is because a small part of them remembers what it was like to be alive, and enjoy the feelings raising livestock brings. Maybe it's because they want to tear into their Livestock's flesh. For whatever reason, they are exceptionally good at raising Livestock.

The Goblins will probably be removed from Lumber (but keep the Flying Bat bonus) if/when they get bonused for the military (the tree bonus will remain, just with another race). Gnomes (or as dwarves would call them "Beardless freaks of nature") will be added later, but they don't especially care about farming, only technology. non-zombie Pigmen will probably give bonuses for Magic stuff.

This is still just me throwing ideas at the wall and seeing what doesn't explode like a rotten egg. :p

Along the Agro Noble tangent at the top of the page.....Possible Noble ranks by category (Military Nobles don't really exist, they're just their current rank)--Tech/Magic Nobles wouldn't necessarily be the same as existing Nobles.

The Existing Nobles would probbly remain largely the same, except they would be the mayors/rulers of the various Outliers, with more important/large Outliers having more important Nobles, and Regional Capitals (if youget that far) having the highest Nobles.

So far fewer of the existing Nobles, but they'd still be there

Magic Nobles:

Adept [Magic School]
Apprentice [insert school of Magic here ie Wizardry, Witchery, Thaumaturgy, etc]
[School of Magic descriptive] (Witch, Thaumaturge, Wizard, etc)
Greater [Specialization if applicable] [Descriptive]
Master [Specialization if applicable] [Descriptive]
Arch-[School of Magic descriptive] (One per School of Magic)

Tech Nobles:

Adept [Technology]
Apprentice [Type of Technology]
Journeyman [Technology]
[Technologist descriptive]
Master [Technologist descriptive]
Supreme [Technologist descriptive]

Keeping in mind that some Technologists might have a specialty--Agricultural [Technologist], Mystical [Technologist]

At the moment I'm thinking of assigning Mining to the Tinkers (and racial bonuses for mining will probably be longer distance between supports). Mostly because it seems like more of a Tinker thing to do--and also because I'm not sure where else to put it to be quite honest.

Yes, there are machines that double/triple ores, but it doesn't seem like the kind of person that works with those machines would be the same folks to do mining.

Other Techs (and/or Schools of Magic) may also mine, but the standard vanilla mineshaft will go to the Tinkers. If the standard means of mining by a given civilization becomes something else, fair enough.

Quarries=Engineers.

Engineers--catch-all for the IC2/BC/TE-type mods. MFR is mostly Engineers, with some Agricultural Engineers.

Dwarf-Fortress inspired Elf flavor text:

"Elves are neurotically (Dwarves tend to say erotically) attached to their trees, and dote on them like some species dote on children. However, Elves tend to be dramatically against the Lumber industry as a whole."

also Agriculture page is updated to reflect this stuff. New stuff not covered here includes a listing of minimum buildings per specialty. any/all Granaries, Item Banks, etc that have the same name may be combined into one (especially if a Specialty/sub-Specialty requires 2 different kinds of Granaries). Just keep in mind that after a certain size you'll want a Silo instead of a Granary.

Something you might miss if you're just skimming the changes--Magic plants require Magicians (which kind of Magician depends on what School of Magic the plant is from). EXP bushes require Magicians. Ore bushes require Tinkers. Adepts/Apprentices are allowed but must be overseen by a more experienced Magician/Technologist.

Next up: Figuring out specific numbers.

.......yay.

>.<

woo, great teashop Mobius.

A thought--put a teaset on the table next to the window. That area didn't have much, plus you can see it at a glance through the window as you pass by.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Mobius Archives

ThePixie35

Jul 29, 2019
Disclaimer: I AM working on a spreadsheet for all of this, where you will be able to just punch in your variables, ticking off bonuses, etc and get totals.

Woo! Best news for this challenge IMO.
I also think your ideas on changing nobles to be more, well, nobley is a good one. It represents, IMO, how a city/country would progress through time more.

On this, taking a mechanic from Civ, have you thought about changing government types as you progress through the ages?

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Hey! Reika's mods now don't register a half a million items with Project E anymore! Maybe I'll actually be able to play with them again :p

Gabry_R

Jul 29, 2019
Hey! Reika's mods now don't register a half a million items with Project E anymore! Maybe I'll actually be able to play with them again :p
I took a look at his website now, what do you think about that Geostrata mod? Does it have any issues/conflicts?

Gabry_R

Jul 29, 2019
Hey everyone!
So I finally (almost) finished the Community Center tonight! I absolutely love how the build turned out, and I'm very satisfied of myself since I had so little materials to use. So here it is, I hope you guys like it too!

http://imgur.com/a/rmdK5

I know I'm missing Food&Item Bank, but I'm going to do them underground I think(it could be a bit against the rules but since they need to be widely expanded I think it is the best choice. Haven't got much time to play on my part so my Rool of the Cool is just to take it easy and maybe loosen up some of the hardcore rules).

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Geostrata is fine, it's just new types of stone. A few compatibility issues with recipes, but it doesn't remove vanilla stone, so it's not really that bad.

All it does it rocks in the dirt now, so keep that in mind. They're pretty, some are more blast resistant, but that's basically it. Worldgen pretty building materials.

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
So crosspost with the mod pack thread....

With this pack and the main thread taken together, we have 1,030 (1,031/2 now :p) posts, and 70,268 views. woo.

This thread in particular is the 10th most-replied to thread in General FTB (at 909 [errr......910] posts). #9 is dumb MPPS tricks (968), last posted in October, and #8 is Old Adeptcraft (1,245) by Saice which hasn't been touched since May '13.

heh. we're getting there. :D

pixie said:
On this, taking a mechanic from Civ, have you thought about changing government types as you progress through the ages?

That I'll leave up to you. Again, Rule of Cool. in various government types the Nobility would have to be completely restructured.

.....at best this is something I'd touch WAY down the road tbh.

So I'm working on the Agro Spreadsheet, atm getting the front page looking decent. I can have a limited amount of text to go with the dropdown menus I'm installing for picking the race of a given Foreman/Noble/FArmhand. I was going to do an If/Then type thing so you could have a description below/next to the dropdown menu, but I have 15 races, and the If/Then are limited to 7 choices. Next I was going to add a brief ( + or - ) description of their bonus to look at when you look at the list--but there wasn't enough room in the dropdown menu. Maybe Google docs might be different, dunno.

So right now I'm settling for a simple Hyperlink above the dropdown menu, linking to the Race page on the wiki, where I am right now editing in their Agro bonuses/penalties (and flavor text). Later on I might have a separate sheet that only has racial descriptions/bonuses--basically a word doc but in excel (or equivalent).

I'm gonna try to upload this to a public Google Doc sometime today or tomorrow--it will be the barebones, not much content. IIRC I can make it read-only but downloadable.

Also, Gnome Agro bonus will be lowering the requirement of the Tech Noble by one level. These stack, so if you have Gnome Noble/Foreman, you can have the first-level Tinker tend to the ore berries (or other Tech specialty deal with Tech-based plants or mechanical animals). Uruk (formerly Orc, or Ora'Chen [*shudders at that horrible name*]) do the same for Magicians, letting Adept [Magic School Specialty] tend to their plants (ie Witchery tree, Silverwood, Greatwood, Magic crops, Magic Livestock/Rideables/Pets, etc).

Uruks will be a Magic-based Race for me, mainly because I'm going more by Dwarf Fortress Goblins being the main agressive enemy.

Oh, and Pigmen Agro Bonus is Tree Breeding, Rock Troll (Honestly I'm kind of picturing these more as the Rocks from FTL at this point lol) bonus is Bee Breeding.

Every Race now has an Agro Bonus. And I think I've covered every activity.

Race page is updated. It now looks halfway decent.

Basic Agro Spreadsheet .....okay, that only shows the basics, doesn't let you use the dropdown menus....only shows the final results. Again, nothing flashy yet.

Does this work for you guys? It takes me to the page, but it also lets me edit. Granted, I'm still logged in as the owner. Let me know if you can view, edit, and/or comment. You should be able to view and comment, but not edit.

Also , you should be able to download yourself a copy I think. That's more what I was going for with this. Let me know if you can or not.

Keep in mind that even if you can edit it (and it gets griefed), this is basically a copy of what is on my actual hard drive. so all this will be lost is the time it takes me to reupload it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1SDAN

ThePixie35

Jul 29, 2019
That I'll leave up to you. Again, Rule of Cool. in various government types the Nobility would have to be completely restructured.

.....at best this is something I'd touch WAY down the road tbh.

Does this work for you guys? It takes me to the page, but it also lets me edit. Granted, I'm still logged in as the owner. Let me know if you can view, edit, and/or comment. You should be able to view and comment, but not edit.

Now I wanna play Civ :(
The Google doc allows viewing, making of your own copy but no commenting feature, that I could see.

Does anyone know a "researching" mod, kinda of in the style of Civ? Or a non-magic block way of doubling ores?

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Or a non-magic block way of doubling ores?

For non-magic you can use the grinder from AE I think but it requires some certus quartz. That's the only manual way I know to double ores.

If you're going along the tech lines the Pulverizer from Thermal Expansion will double ores. I think the Induction Smelter from Thermal Expansion can triple but someone may need to correct me on that.

For Tinker's Construct the smeltery doubles ores. If you have Tinker's Steelworks you can configure the high oven to triple your ores.

I think Ender IO has something for doubling ores too.

ThePixie35

Jul 29, 2019
I was meaning more like a multiblock structures. I'd rather not use blocks like TE pulveriser.
I am going to use TiC smeltery and steelworks, but as 1:1, not for doubling.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Then no. Most players despise non-magic-block solutions because MC seems to make them buggy as <bleep>, performance hogs, and you're working against the vanilla game if you want ore processing to be non-magic block.

There are things like Rotarycraft's extractor or Mekanism's ore processing factory setup that replicate a more realistic ore processing... but the Mek version is huge, high tech, and hard to engineer and supply. And the Rotarycraft one is a magic block.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
To be fair, the Mek version really only gets huge and high tech if you go for ore quadrupling or more. For simple ore-doubling, it's really not all that complicated.

Now just keep those mobs with all the Mek armor off of me long enough to build it...

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Why do you think I disable Mek Tools?

But basically there is no non-magic-block solution for ore multiplication for performance and code complexity reasons. The smeltery is a magic multiblock, add lava and ores et voila oresx2! You actually have LESS "magic" blocks with things like TE. Ore goes in, dust comes out. The only "magic" is that the pulverizing/macerating/grinding drops the stone component of ores, which somehow the vanilla furnace didn't deal with properly causing it to "lose" ores.

I've never really understood the magic block hate, so there's that.

ThePixie35

Jul 29, 2019
I dont hate, but for artistic reason I like using multiblocks more. Makes a project look and feel grander. More important because its bigger.
Now for the first time in weeks, I'm gonna play :D

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
You should see some people on the Minecraft forums. Admittedly I should have used "dislike" or "distaste"... but ye gods!

I mean the RoC extractor is begging to be made into a processing line/factory type block. But I don't dislike the fact that it's a single block operation to multiply my ores...

Good luck with playing!

Gabry_R

Jul 29, 2019
Guys, I just had a kind of idea...does a mod that adds seasons exist? It would be soo cool and probably not that hard to make. I think it would make the gameplay much more varied and, for a builder like me more fun. To push it even further it could depend on the biome(lots of snow in extreme hills/just rain in mesa during winters). Does something like that exist?