[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Where's the wiki? :p

Sorry, couldn't help it :)

I feel the pain on the crazy-colored wood front. There's a reason I go find oak in my first day. Monsters be damned, food be damned. I'm making my house out of oak. period.

Well unless I'm playing R2R, then it's clay... and THEN it'll be oak!

Gabry_R

Jul 29, 2019
If I'd thought it through better I'd have pawned it off on my daughter. She doesn't mind the whole "pink house" thing.

Eh, the charcoal is useful though...
Hehe no daughter for me so...charcoal it is

(new) Wiki has been up for a while, but I recently copy/pasted new pages for all of the old pages of the wiki (found here)

Also, links in the OP have been fixed/removed. Hopefully (now that I've gotten off of my ass and actually done that) that should slow the "Where's the wiki" posts :p

Ohh ok! Thank you :) And thanks for all the work you did for this! It turned out amazing!

Where's the wiki? :p

Sorry, couldn't help it :)

I feel the pain on the crazy-colored wood front. There's a reason I go find oak in my first day. Monsters be damned, food be damned. I'm making my house out of oak. period.

Well unless I'm playing R2R, then it's clay... and THEN it'll be oak!

Haha I personally skipped the dirt hovel stage this time around, I find it just so annoying. My only purpose is TO BUILD haha

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
I just ran into some trouble between "Better Beginnings" mod and "Iguana Tinker Tweaks" mod -- the better beginnings mod invalidates the flint pickaxe from tinker tweaks! -- Not good. So with a sigh and a few mouse clicks, Better Beginnings hit my "maybe later" folder.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, conflicts like that are why I try and avoid multiple things that alter the game instead of just adding to it. It's also why I like comprehensive tweak mods like Hunger Overhaul, it aims to be the be-all-end-all for hunger mechanics, and lets you configure 'em. Plus I've never been a fan of heavy gameplay alterations to the truly core mechanics that have been around since alpha except in Total Conversion Mods, who by their nature disclaim right out "if you get another mod to work with this, you're either lucky or a programmer".

Iguana Tweaks is just on the edge of tolerable for me, because in exchange for making it more tedious it enhances the capabilities of the mod it was based around. Better beginnings is basically a TFC lite. It goes for the "realism" by introducing new mechanics for everything that most mods rely upon, it's inevitably going to cause conflicts. I took one look at the workbench alterations in Better Beginnings and closed the tab on that one forever. I knew it was going to cause headaches, and probably didn't have the presence to be put into one of the major packs and thereby give the author the feedback needed to fix all those bugs/flaws.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Yep. Better Beginnings had some neat ideas, but to pull off it had to interfere with other mods non-trivially. it ended up being a no-go for me.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Now I'm toying with the idea of allowing people to pickpocket villagers at the risk of increasing hostility of course.

Most times you'll get pretty useless junk, but occasionally you might lift that item the guy was trying to overcharge you 12 emeralds for.

Reactions: 1SDAN

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Le sigh. Reika updated to v4, and did a gregtech-level overconfiguration "protection" with Project E. Right now I'm going to have to go figure out where in the mod he's producing those IMC messages and "fix" the mod(s) for testing.

I really do understand his desire to protect innocent users from malicious and/or stupid server admins (and pack authors)... but having to fix his fixes is starting to get really bleeping old

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
And he signature verifies his mods... son of a french courtesan. I do NOT want to take a crash course on ASM/reflection to block the IMC generation... *grumble*

Give me a half hour and I'll tell you just how many messages he generates. To give you an idea "for (int i = 0; i < reg.getNumberMetadatas(); i++)" apparently for EVERY itemstack in EC, ReC, RoC, and ChC.

For you non-programmers: It's a bunchly lots. He's individually registering every metadata value for every one of his items... one after another. Apparently IMC messages can be processed at approximately one per 3 microseconds... 350 a second or so...

If anyone's seen Gregtech's startup times (when he was adding ALL-THE-THINGS to the ore dictionary) on being added to a "standard" sized pack of 150-200 mods... I think this might be worse.

He's been made aware of the issue and something that SHOULD be a viable fix while still letting him blacklist his items from EMC for ProjectE... he just hasn't coded it out yet, apparently.

Edit: 418041. Four hundred eighteen thousand forty one. That takes 11 minutes and 14 seconds to process. Which actually comes out to 620 IMC messages a second... which is nearly double the number I got with a smaller sample size. Statistics. Sample size is everything :p

Last edited:

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
I think I'll simply skip anything from him for a bit until sanity returns. Thanks @TomeWyrm for enduring the pain of uncovering that for us.

ZephyrWindSpirit

Jul 29, 2019
The incompatability of swapping between tinkers iguana tweaks and Better Beginnings should be reported, but thats just my opinion.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
It isn't really a bug, it's a competing game-mechanic. Better Beginnings specifically alters the early game by changing how you progress prior to the capability of smelting metals. At that point, it doesn't really interfere anymore (aside from altered chest recipes, covered more below).

If I were willing to accept that it invalidates the use of the flint tools in Tinker's Construct, there really wouldn't be an issue. But for me, I like being able to start with the TConstruct flint tools.

With Better Beginnings, you would progress by getting some flint from gravel, some sticks from saplings, and some leather strips from cow-boxing.
Then you'd upgrade to bone after mugging a few skeletons. At that point, you could harvest stone, copper and aluminum I think.

At this point you should then be able to advance normally up Iguana Tinker Tweaks metal progression.

Keep in mind though that BB also adjusts the recipe for simple chests too, requiring not only wood but some leather strips and IRON NUGGETS to craft. This means your ability to store things outside of any backpack type mod you may have is really limited.

All in all, you really have to want to embrace all those changes to enjoy it. I don't mind a harder start, but for me it is just a little too many things piled on top of each other.

tooncool64

Jul 29, 2019
No I didn't :/. Yes, this is taking a while to be allowed. Its still giving me the "Upload Waiting" tag. Sorry! I know you guys want to play it.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Well I can cut down the issues a bit by removing... NUTS ReactorCraft is a Rotarycraft addon and it has unique worldgen. I was going to pare it down to ChromatiCraft and just put up with an extra two-three minutes on load, but that won't allow me to not regenerate my world (Reika's trying to use retrogen... it's not working yet :p). Looks like I'm going to be patient for one more day and then if no fix appears to be forthcoming I get to learn how to fix the issue myself.

No worries @tooncool64, we understand that it's out of your hands. Heck that's half the reason why I don't use any of the launchers. Technic I have philosophical issues with, AT has become a walled garden where you have to have a community presence in order to use their launcher, and FTB has always been a bit too user unfriendly for me thanks to the human oversight requirements.

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
which launcher is it on again?

....hopefully my craptop can run it. it's been slowing down significantly recently lol.

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
A little bit of Valentines/Harry Potter just entered my last build. So for all the lovers may I present Madam Puddifoot's Tea Shop!

The interior is mostly Bibliocraft and Decocraft plus a lot of microblocks with a few CustomNPCs items thrown in.

Incidentally, and not mentioned in the video, this is the start of the upper town as we move from a village to a city.

Reactions: Senseidragon

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
A little bit of Valentines/Harry Potter just entered my last build. So for all the lovers may I present Madam Puddifoot's Tea Shop!

The interior is mostly Bibliocraft and Decocraft plus a lot of microblocks with a few CustomNPCs items thrown in.

Incidentally, and not mentioned in the video, this is the start of the upper town as we move from a village to a city.

A very good video @The Mobius Archives - The minimap that was bugging you is from Opis. Just disable it til you need to do some lag debugging or something later on.

Watching your process of putting together the shop was pretty neat!

Reactions: The Mobius Archives