[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
So just a couple more things--the race that was going to have Foreman/Noble bonuses, I'm thinking of splitting between Uzed Kar Kobolds (Foreman bonus--major suckups and smooth talkers, but generally followers instead of leaders) and Human Investment Bankers (Noble bonuses--grab all the power they can and don't like letting go--always leaders, never followers). Reintroduce the last two races from the old wiki that don't have Agro bonuses yet (or don't really have a purpose yet).

That also gives all races (except for Rock Trolls, who haven't had much done with them) at least one Sub-race (Dwarves obviously have 2). Goblins consider Uruks as the Sub-Race, and Uruks consider Goblins the Sub-Race. :p I could have Rock Trolls be similar to Iron Golems.

hmmmm......is there an Agricultural bonus I can give to Iron Golems? Something to do with flowers?

whatever it is I don't want it to be subtle. I want it to be something powerful but with extreme drawbacks.

Last edited:

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Hi Everyone!

Now that Thermal Dynamics has been released I decided to add Professor Fluxcraft's Thermal Dynamics Laboratory to our Thermal Dynamics Tree outlier. This episode is primarily a spotlight and is demonstrating some stuff our outlier (and yours) can now use.

Minecraft Thermal Dynamics Mod Spotlight - Mobius For Regent - S6 Ep 18

Reactions: Senseidragon

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
There are (were?) a list of requirements. I think it's a point total now? I haven't actually read the rules in an embarrassingly long time, because I do "no kill like overkill" and complete every single objective (optional or not) unless there's a pressing reason why not. Like my 15th abandoned mineshaft doesn't have any melons, or I can't find a jungle within 5k blocks, or whatever.

It should be listed somewhere in each stage though.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
I put Reika's RotaryCraft, ReactorCraft and ElectriCraft together (left out the others) to see how it would do. Found out that the blasted Railcraft "residual heat" *still* messes with Canola crops.

I will find it hard to be convinced that Railcraft's residual heat was ever a good idea.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Who is maintaining that mod? Still CJ? Whoever it is really needs to set that as disabled by default. It causes the most errors out of any fake-air TE I've ever seen. All the rest of them you can break or have to place yourself (glimmers of light, blood lamps, mage light are coming to mind (TC4 Arcane Lamp sparkles, Blood Magic Sigil of the Blood Lamp particles, and Ars Magica 2 light spell effect)). That one follows you around getting into the middle of builds and I STILL see people falling victim to it. Just a few weeks ago Etho was wondering why none of his crops were planting properly on his modded series. I didn't check the comments, but I bet half of them were "DISABLE RAILCRAFT HIDDEN BLOCK" and a quarter of those actually remembered it's residual heat now.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
I can almost guarantee that's what it was.

Before I rechecked the configs (which had them enabled when I was testing Infinity) I placed a dirt block over the tilled ground and re-broke it. crops then planted with no issue. If I stepped on the ground and then tried to plant, it was no good. Residual Heat strikes again.

I just need to make some sort of script patching system to re-apply all the changes I make every time I download a new version of a public pack. It doesn't happen with my own packs, obviously, but when I get a new DW20 or Infinity or whatever, I get all the configs reset again. Sure, I can save a backup, but I can't just overwrite them or I'll lose any (potential) new config settings the authors have changed.

I need a patching system.

*walks off in search of a whiteboard*

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
So, this may just be me being stupid... but how do you tell when you can advance from one stage to the next?

Excerpts from the Refugee to Regent Challenge - Classic Wiki page for Wooden Settlement, which isn't terribly easy to read in it's current state. Blame @Maul_Junior for that. :)

This is for "Normal Mode" and doesn't include "bonus" stuff. Just the basics.

Player Tools/Armor Requirements
  • Each Player must have a full set of Wooden Tools to advance
  • Each Player must have a full set of Leather Armor to advance
Food Requirements
  • 8 Food Sources per Player
  • 6 Food Sources per Elder
  • 4 Food Sources per Refugee
  • 5 Food Sources per Watchman
  • 5 Food Sources per Farmer
  • 5 Food Sources per Rancher
Livestock Food Requirements
  • 2 Wheat per Cow
  • 2 Wheat per Mooshroom
  • 2 Wheat per Sheep
  • 1 Wheat per Chicken
  • 2 Carrots per Pig

Residential
  • Each Player must build 1 Settlement Shanty for themselves
  • Build 1 Settlement Shack for an Elder
  • Build 2-4 Refugee Refuges for incoming refugees
  • All buildings must be too bright for Mobs to spawn
Required Rooms:
  • Work Room
    • Must have at least a Crafting Bench
  • Bedroom
    • Must have a bed
  • Storage Room
    • Must have at least 2 Double Chests
  • Kitchen (Only if Tinker's Construct is installed)
    • Must have Frying Pan
  • Build 1-2 Additional Rooms to taste (Suggestions can be found on the Dwellings page)
Elder's Dwelling "Settlement Shack"
  • May be made of Wood and/or Dirt
  • Must be sealed by Wooden Door(s)/Trapdoor(s)
  • Must be too bright for Mobs to spawn
Required Rooms:
  • Bedroom
    • Must have bed
  • Storage Room
    • Must have at least a single Double Chest
    • Must contain a weapon for the Elder
    • Any weapon, as long as it is Wooden or Attack Strength equivalent, is acceptable.
    • Must have Frying Pan
  • Office
    • Must have Desk
  • Build 1 Additional Room to taste (Suggestions can be found on the Dwellings page)
Settler's Dwelling "Refugee Refuge"
Required Rooms:
  • Bedroom
    • Must have a bed
  • Storage Room
    • must include at least a single chest
  • Build 1 Additional Room to taste (Suggestions can be found on the Dwellings page)
Commercial
  • Administrative Center "Settlement Center"
    • May be made of Wood and/or of any kind of Dirt
    • Must be sealed by some kind of Door
    • Interior must be too bright for mobs to spawn
    • The Settlement Center will be needing many, many upgrades through the course of the challenge. Make sure there is plenty of room to expand.
Room Requirements:
  • Must have 1 Office per Player participating.
    • Office must have a Desk
  • Must have an Office for the Elder
    • May be a modded Item or just a look-alike.
  • Build a Food Bank
    • All excess food for the Settlement is stored here.
  • Build an Item Bank
    • All excess items are stored here
  • Build an Armory for your Town Watchman (See Fortifications, below)
  • Build a Hospital with beds for at least half of your population.
  • All of the Banks and the Armory will need plenty of room to expand.
Additional Community Buildings
  • Build a Well
    • After their long, hard journeys, these refugees need plenty of clean water
  • Build 1 additional Community Building to taste
Agriculture
  • The Agricultural section consists of seven major divisions:
    • Farming, the growing of plants for food;
    • Ranching, the growing of livestock for food
    • Plantations, the growing of plants that aren't food
    • Kennels, the growing of pets;
    • Stables, the growing of mounts
    • Apiculture, the growing and breeding of bees
    • Arboriculture, the growing and breeding of trees (including harvesting Logs and Wood).
  • For now, we are only concerned with the first two, as your Settlement will need plenty of food sources if it hopes to grow.

Farms and "Farm House"s
  • A Farm House is not counted in the Residential section, mainly because they are mainly built according to the population. As a general rule of Thumb, each Farmer is capable of tending anywhere from 25-75 Blocks of crops before another Farm House is required.Each block of crops is considered one food source. If more than one person lives in a single Farmhouse, this number increases. For example, 2 Farmers in a single Farmhouse can tend anywhere from 50-150 Blocks of crops. Again, there is a limit of 2 People per Bedroom. Once there are enough Farmers, Farmers are encouraged to specialize their crops.
"Farm House"
  • Building Materials are equal to the Dwellings of the current Stage.
  • Must be sealed by Doors
  • Hostile Mobs may not spawn inside.
  • Farm Houses should not be built near the Residential area.
  • Farm Houses should be built as close to their crops as possible.
  • It is recommended to keep Farmhouses on the edges of your towns so there is more space for building
  • Room Requirements are equal to the Dwellings of the current Stage, with slight additions
Room Requirements:
  • Must have Granary (Food Storage)
  • Must have at least 2 Double Chests specifically for Food
  • Must have at least 1 Double Chest specifically for Seeds
  • Must have 25-75 Blocks of edible (or possibly edible) crops per Farmer
  • Crops must be irrigated
  • Crops must be safe from mob trampling
  • Natura Bushes count as half a Block of edible crops
Ranches and "Ranchhouses"
  • A Ranchhouse is not counted in the Residential section, mainly because they are built as needed, according to the food needs of the population. As a general rule of Thumb, each Rancher is capable of tending to 15-30 Livestock, 1.5x that if the Livestock are Chickens. Livestock are animals that produce edible or useful products. In Vanilla these are Cows, Mooshrooms, Pigs, Chickens, and Sheep, though depending on your mods, there may be many more. Each animal that produces an edible product is considered one food source. If more than one person lives in a single Ranch House, this number increases. For example, 2 Ranchers in a single Ranch House can tend anywhere from 30-60 Livestock. Again, there is a limit of 2 People per Bedroom. Once there are enough Ranchers, Ranchers are encouraged to specialized their Livestock. In the case of Sheep Ranchers, Ranchers are eventually encouraged to specialize their color of Sheep.
"Ranchhouse"
  • Ranchhouses should not be built near the Residential area.
  • Ranchhouses should be built as close to their Livestock as possible.
  • It is recommended to keep Ranchhouses on the edges of your towns so there is more space for building
  • Room Requirements are equal to the Dwellings of the current Stage, with slight additions
Room Requirements:
  • Feed Room Must have at least 1 Chest containing Breeding Material per species of Livestock
  • If the Rancher has Chickens, an additional Double Chest must be made for Eggs
  • Livestock Pasture
  • 1 Rancher may care for 15-30 Livestock
  • Must have at least 4 of a specific mob type
  • Passive mobs may not mix in each other's Pastures
  • Must be safe from Hostile Mobs
  • May not be able to escape
  • Should not be able to "Glitch Out" of their Pasture
Transportation
  • All Buildings must be connected by a Pathway out of a material distinctively different than surrounded blocks
  • Pathways are a 1-block wide
  • You will eventually need a 2x2 Road
Fortifications
  • Build a Watchtower for Defense
  • Build 1 additional Refugee Refuge per Watchman.
Watchmen
  • Watchmen are your first line of defense against invaders. Lightly armed and armored, they are intended more to warn the heavy hitters that danger is coming than to actually ward off intruders. You will need 1 Watchman per Watchtower built. Their houses are built in addition to any population added by the Residential section. Watchmen are generally given a Stone Sword, a Bow, and 32 Arrows. If you have any, they are also assigned a cat. As always, keep in mind Stage restrictions, and change their fitting accordingly.
Watchmen:
  • Considered Reservists Armored with Leather Armor Armed with Stone Sword (or Stage Equivalent) and a Bow with 32 Arrows
  • Assigned a Cat when available
  • Do not sleep in Barracks, have their own house.

I hope that helps, at least til @Maul_Junior does something more substantial to the Wiki to MAKE TRACKING THIS STUFF EASIER TO ACCOMPLISH... (hint, hint)

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
I can almost guarantee that's what it was.

Before I rechecked the configs (which had them enabled when I was testing Infinity) I placed a dirt block over the tilled ground and re-broke it. crops then planted with no issue. If I stepped on the ground and then tried to plant, it was no good. Residual Heat strikes again.

I just need to make some sort of script patching system to re-apply all the changes I make every time I download a new version of a public pack. It doesn't happen with my own packs, obviously, but when I get a new DW20 or Infinity or whatever, I get all the configs reset again. Sure, I can save a backup, but I can't just overwrite them or I'll lose any (potential) new config settings the authors have changed.

I need a patching system.

*walks off in search of a whiteboard*

Oh, I'm well aware it was the hidden block. It had the classic signs. The random blocks that won't let you plant seeds, that change every time you harvest. I could probably find the clip if I felt like it.

Let me know if you actually get that working, that would be a really useful system to implement, even if I have to build most of it from the ground up. I like playing modpacks, but I also tinker with them a lot :p

Gabry_R

Jul 29, 2019
Excerpts from the Refugee to Regent Challenge - Classic Wiki page for Wooden Settlement, which isn't terribly easy to read in it's current state. Blame @Maul_Junior for that. :)

This is for "Normal Mode" and doesn't include "bonus" stuff. Just the basics.

Player Tools/Armor Requirements
  • Each Player must have a full set of Wooden Tools to advance
  • Each Player must have a full set of Leather Armor to advance
Food Requirements
  • 8 Food Sources per Player
  • 6 Food Sources per Elder
  • 4 Food Sources per Refugee
  • 5 Food Sources per Watchman
  • 5 Food Sources per Farmer
  • 5 Food Sources per Rancher
Livestock Food Requirements
  • 2 Wheat per Cow
  • 2 Wheat per Mooshroom
  • 2 Wheat per Sheep
  • 1 Wheat per Chicken
  • 2 Carrots per Pig

Residential
  • Each Player must build 1 Settlement Shanty for themselves
  • Build 1 Settlement Shack for an Elder
  • Build 2-4 Refugee Refuges for incoming refugees
  • All buildings must be too bright for Mobs to spawn
Required Rooms:
  • Work Room
    • Must have at least a Crafting Bench
  • Bedroom
    • Must have a bed
  • Storage Room
    • Must have at least 2 Double Chests
    • Must have Frying Pan
  • Build 1-2 Additional Rooms to taste (Suggestions can be found on the Dwellings page)
Elder's Dwelling "Settlement Shack"
Required Rooms:
  • Bedroom
    • Must have bed
  • Storage Room
    • Must have at least a single Double Chest
    • Must contain a weapon for the Elder
    • Any weapon, as long as it is Wooden or Attack Strength equivalent, is acceptable.
    • Must have Frying Pan
  • Office
    • Must have Desk
Settler's Dwelling "Refugee Refuge"
Required Rooms:
  • Bedroom
    • Must have a bed
  • Storage Room
    • must include at least a single chest
Commercial
  • Administrative Center "Settlement Center"
    • May be made of Wood and/or of any kind of Dirt
    • Must be sealed by some kind of Door
    • Interior must be too bright for mobs to spawn
    • The Settlement Center will be needing many, many upgrades through the course of the challenge. Make sure there is plenty of room to expand.
Room Requirements:
  • Must have 1 Office per Player participating.
  • Must have an Office for the Elder
    • May be a modded Item or just a look-alike.
  • Build a Food Bank
    • All excess food for the Settlement is stored here.
  • Build an Item Bank
    • All excess items are stored here
  • Build an Armory for your Town Watchman (See Fortifications, below)
  • Build a Hospital with beds for at least half of your population.
  • All of the Banks and the Armory will need plenty of room to expand.
Additional Community Buildings
  • Build a Well
    • After their long, hard journeys, these refugees need plenty of clean water
  • Build 1 additional Community Building to taste
Agriculture
  • The Agricultural section consists of seven major divisions:
    • Farming, the growing of plants for food;
    • Ranching, the growing of livestock for food
    • Plantations, the growing of plants that aren't food
    • Kennels, the growing of pets;
    • Stables, the growing of mounts
    • Apiculture, the growing and breeding of bees
    • Arboriculture, the growing and breeding of trees (including harvesting Logs and Wood).
  • For now, we are only concerned with the first two, as your Settlement will need plenty of food sources if it hopes to grow.

Farms and "Farm House"s
  • A Farm House is not counted in the Residential section, mainly because they are mainly built according to the population. As a general rule of Thumb, each Farmer is capable of tending anywhere from 25-75 Blocks of crops before another Farm House is required.Each block of crops is considered one food source. If more than one person lives in a single Farmhouse, this number increases. For example, 2 Farmers in a single Farmhouse can tend anywhere from 50-150 Blocks of crops. Again, there is a limit of 2 People per Bedroom. Once there are enough Farmers, Farmers are encouraged to specialize their crops.
"Farm House"
  • Farm Houses should not be built near the Residential area.
  • Farm Houses should be built as close to their crops as possible.
  • It is recommended to keep Farmhouses on the edges of your towns so there is more space for building
Room Requirements:
  • Must have Granary (Food Storage)
  • Must have at least 2 Double Chests specifically for Food
  • Must have at least 1 Double Chest specifically for Seeds
  • Must have 25-75 Blocks of edible (or possibly edible) crops per Farmer
  • Crops must be irrigated
  • Crops must be safe from mob trampling
  • Natura Bushes count as half a Block of edible crops
Ranches and "Ranchhouses"
  • A Ranchhouse is not counted in the Residential section, mainly because they are built as needed, according to the food needs of the population. As a general rule of Thumb, each Rancher is capable of tending to 15-30 Livestock, 1.5x that if the Livestock are Chickens. Livestock are animals that produce edible or useful products. In Vanilla these are Cows, Mooshrooms, Pigs, Chickens, and Sheep, though depending on your mods, there may be many more. Each animal that produces an edible product is considered one food source. If more than one person lives in a single Ranch House, this number increases. For example, 2 Ranchers in a single Ranch House can tend anywhere from 30-60 Livestock. Again, there is a limit of 2 People per Bedroom. Once there are enough Ranchers, Ranchers are encouraged to specialized their Livestock. In the case of Sheep Ranchers, Ranchers are eventually encouraged to specialize their color of Sheep.
"Ranchhouse"
  • Ranchhouses should not be built near the Residential area.
  • Ranchhouses should be built as close to their Livestock as possible.
  • It is recommended to keep Ranchhouses on the edges of your towns so there is more space for building
Room Requirements:
  • Feed Room Must have at least 1 Chest containing Breeding Material per species of Livestock
  • If the Rancher has Chickens, an additional Double Chest must be made for Eggs
  • Livestock Pasture
  • 1 Rancher may care for 15-30 Livestock
  • Must have at least 4 of a specific mob type
  • Passive mobs may not mix in each other's Pastures
  • Must be safe from Hostile Mobs
  • May not be able to escape
  • Should not be able to "Glitch Out" of their Pasture
Transportation
  • All Buildings must be connected by a Pathway out of a material distinctively different than surrounded blocks
  • Pathways are a 1-block wide
  • You will eventually need a 2x2 Road
Fortifications
  • Build a Watchtower for Defense
  • Build 1 additional Refugee Refuge per Watchman.
Watchmen
  • Watchmen are your first line of defense against invaders. Lightly armed and armored, they are intended more to warn the heavy hitters that danger is coming than to actually ward off intruders. You will need 1 Watchman per Watchtower built. Their houses are built in addition to any population added by the Residential section. Watchmen are generally given a Stone Sword, a Bow, and 32 Arrows. If you have any, they are also assigned a cat. As always, keep in mind Stage restrictions, and change their fitting accordingly.
Watchmen:
  • Considered Reservists Armored with Leather Armor Armed with Stone Sword (or Stage Equivalent) and a Bow with 32 Arrows
  • Assigned a Cat when available
  • Do not sleep in Barracks, have their own house.

I hope that helps, at least til @Maul_Junior does something more substantial to the Wiki to MAKE TRACKING THIS STUFF EASIER TO ACCOMPLISH... (hint, hint)

If I may add, I personally use the pdf of the old file. Some of the links still work and it's much more complete and organized. Plus, you can also edit it, so I am able to highlight stuff I've done, add notes ecc. You will find the link to the dropbox a few pages back, or alternatively in the Minecraft Forums topic of the challenge.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
[...]Let me know if you actually get that working, that would be a really useful system to implement, even if I have to build most of it from the ground up. I like playing modpacks, but I also tinker with them a lot :p

I'm about 2/3 done with config patching project.

I use a diff-like system to take a snapshot of a clean (unmodified) config, then make another copy that will be used as a master copy. You then make whatever config changes you like in the master copy, and then the system creates a changelog of sorts (a diff) for every config file you altered. Lastly, when you download a new pack and reset your working config folder, you use the system to look for the changes it is able to apply automatically and does so.
This is not the same as a UNIX diff/patch, as the patching process there would use the diff to either restore the original config file (from the prior version) or the original modified config (from the prior version).
This system instead takes the changes from the old version and tries to determine which changes can safely be made in the new version configs. Where it cannot safely make changes, it outputs an appropriate warning to the user with a list of the changes that should have been made to a given file but were not.

At the moment, I've completed the creation of the snapshot/master/diff repositories and creation of unified-diff files for each altered config file.
I am now implementing the system to try and re-apply those changes to new versions of config files.

This system assumes that new versions of config files can and will change, as mod authors add/remove settings from them. This system does not try to interfere with those new changes when patching - it simply looks for changed settings from old releases and re-apply the settings it can find matches for.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
So basically it takes a line diff, and only attempts to modify a line if
A) You have made a change to that line from the "clean" config
B) Throws an error if the line changed from the "clean" config when it tries to update the new version

Correct?

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Yep. I also intend to "archive" the original snapshot version when a new version is downloaded. That will become the new (clean, unmodified) snapshot for the current version and the patched version will become the new master. Then the diff repository is purged and a new repository is generated off of the new sources.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Depending on how much space the archived versions take (zipped, basically) I may or may not scrap that part.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
...it also doesn't so much throw an error as it just flags that file as one that should be manually looked at/edited. The file (and changes that should be made) are displayed to the user.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
It's (almost) all ASCII, even a simple DEFLATE should compress it into nigh insignificance. My config folder is 2,173,371 bytes, and "normal" deflate (I use 7-zip, so that might not be your typical DEFLATE) compresses that down to 357,675 bytes. That's 16.5% of the original. LZMA gets that down to 201,860 (9.3%) in 7z format. I can get that all the way down to 120,120 bytes (5.5%) but that's using a very slow and computationally expensive archive algorithm called PAQ (specifically paq8px).

As long as you're not storing ALL the backups forever, I don't see it ever bigger than your mods folder.