Should some mods just stop being updated in packs?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
That boils down to a lack of understanding of multiple mods. People seem to focus on a handful of generally accepted mods and don't experiment outside of that.
This is one of the reasons that I quite enjoy some of the well made HQM packs. Delving into a new mod, especially one that's fairly far down the release cycle, and spans across a number of mechanics is daunting, moreso when you get tot he point of one mechanic being dependant on another (i.e. Thaumcraft's infusion, dependant on alchemy, dependant on research, dependant on scanning), so you can't get to the item that you're interested in without duplicating the machines you've already got.

HQM packs may ... fudge recipes sometimes, but the mechanics remain. AgSkies introduced me to a number of mods, some because they were explicitly required as part of a quest, and some because the resources appeared, and they looked like things I could use for a problem. Material Energy has given me a taster of MineChem, and helped me delve into the "magic" side of EnderIO, along with a few others.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
This is one of the reasons that I quite enjoy some of the well made HQM packs. Delving into a new mod, especially one that's fairly far down the release cycle, and spans across a number of mechanics is daunting, moreso when you get tot he point of one mechanic being dependant on another (i.e. Thaumcraft's infusion, dependant on alchemy, dependant on research, dependant on scanning), so you can't get to the item that you're interested in without duplicating the machines you've already got.

HQM packs may ... fudge recipes sometimes, but the mechanics remain. AgSkies introduced me to a number of mods, some because they were explicitly required as part of a quest, and some because the resources appeared, and they looked like things I could use for a problem. Material Energy has given me a taster of MineChem, and helped me delve into the "magic" side of EnderIO, along with a few others.
and a Good HQM quest line guides you through the mechanics

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Just my two cents, I don't think any mods should stop updating because we think they should stop. Personally, I quite dislike both New IC2 and GregTech, but I don't think they should just stop updating. I just...don't use them. Seriously, that's the universal answer when you don't like a mod: don't use it. People are forcing you to play with RotaryCraft or GregTech or TE or Factorization just as much as they're forcing you to play mod based off Candy Crush or feces, that is to say that they aren't in either regard. If your argument is that its included in a pack, then you've got one of two options: in SSP...disable the freakin mod, it isn't that hard. In SMP, ask your admin to disable said mod, giving a clear, logical set of reasons why you feel it shouldn't be on the server and why you don't enjoy it. If your admin is even halfway competent, then they'll listen to you. They might not do what you ask, but they'll at least give it thought.

Unless you're using default GregTech, then even if you, for whatever reason, can't remove a mod from a pack, then just don't use its content. Pretend it doesn't even exist. Almost every mod with which I've played don't interfere with any others in any way, shape, or form. They may interact with them, but said interaction is totally optional in almost every case. No one is forcing content on you. Just because something is there doesn't mean you have to use it. I have BuildCraft installed in my pack, but I'm not using its quarries.

Ozzymud2

Jul 29, 2019
I was playing on a server with the Ressurection modpack... It is based around Gregtech. Being a server, I could not remove Gregtech... so i did exactly that.. I ignored it as much as possible. Doing so caused me to meddle with parts of mods I hadn't touched in a while or had never messed with. I love packs that have variety... Go ahead, toss the new IC2 (Crop sticks!!), Factorization (I always use it for slime balls :p) in there... I will use parts of them all. As long as the pack is stable... that's my main concern.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I was playing on a server with the Ressurection modpack... It is based around Gregtech. Being a server, I could not remove Gregtech... so i did exactly that.. I ignored it as much as possible. Doing so caused me to meddle with parts of mods I hadn't touched in a while or had never messed with. I love packs that have variety... Go ahead, toss the new IC2 (Crop sticks!!), Factorization (I always use it for slime balls :p) in there... I will use parts of them all. As long as the pack is stable... that's my main concern.
IC2's crops? Eh, it's nice, but I find Agricraft to be MUCH nice ;)
As for slimeballs, slimes aren't too hard to find anymore. Swamps at night, or if you are on a BWG skylands map you will have slimes all the damn time, as I am sure @rdemay91 will be able to tell you about ;)

Giddimani

Jul 29, 2019
don't think these mods have a place in most mod packs any more, Fz moreso than IC2-exp. because they are made obsolete by much "better" mods that do a lot more. For example, Fz's main selling point was it's barrels, JABBA has much better barrels, that look so much nicer, and then almost everything else in Fz was made obsolete by other mods in 1.6/1.7. As for IC2-exp. it should be called IC3 because of how much it has changed since it became IC2-exp., but also because it drags out the ore processing process whereas other mods try to make it quick and easy.

Factorization is a mod I feel needs not be public anymore. It's ore duplication is pretty crap, IMO, the routers/servos aren't something I ever played with because Fz just never seemed like a mod anyone ever played with, and I didn't want to try and figure it out. But another gripe I have with Fz is charge, CHARGE! the most annoying power system there is IMO. When I last tried to use Fz I could barely get stuff to work, let alone produce power.
It's a good concept of a mod, done badly.

And I am not saying that mods with 1 common factor, i.e. ore duplication, should be removed. I am saying mods that are installed for the same features (IC2 and TE were always installed for the macerator/pulverizer and better furnaces - to my knowledge). I have never touched RoC just because I don't like certain things about the mod and the dev. But I wouldn't say it is a mod that should be removed from a pack because it ore doubles. Actually i would say TE would get removed, as RoC does all what TE does and more. But I wouldn't want to force people to use RoC.
It is hard to explain my point, but there are mods that I feel just get added because they can. And that shouldn't be a thing. A lot of people say "I look for packs with 100+ mods" and that's fine, I won't hold it against them. But if they make packs with 100+ mods that will not be used/are obsoleted by "better" mods (as in the mod has more interactivity with other mods, therefore people will use it more) then there is no point in adding it.

It's one thing to say you think a certain mod is redundant but to suggest it shouldn't be public anymore because you don't know how to use it and don't want to learn it or how to get it to work is just plain wrong. The notion others shouldn't have access to the mod because you decide so is stunning.

That said, you describe the "quick and easy" way as the better and I have to disagree with this. For me it doesn't matter if something is easy, hard, complicated or whatever as long as it's fun to build. For some the reason to build something is to have the finished product and those prefer the quick and easy way. Others don't need a reason to build as long as it's fun. If two builds do the same thing, one takes 10 minutes of boring stuff and one takes 2 hours of interesting stuff, the second one is always better.

Also, on the one hand you say you don't want to force people to use RotaryCraft by removing TE. But on the other hand you say TE and IC2 do the same thing so they shouldn't be both included in the pack - by removing IC2.

Forcing people to use a mod by removing TE? Bad
Forcing people to use a mod by removing IC2? Good??

And than you wonder why it's hard to explain your point. It's called getting caught in your own hypocrisy.

Reactions: mcalpha and Reika

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
It's one thing to say you think a certain mod is redundant but to suggest it shouldn't be public anymore because you don't know how to use it and don't want to learn it or how to get it to work is just plain wrong. The notion others shouldn't have access to the mod because you decide so is stunning.

That said, you describe the "quick and easy" way as the better and I have to disagree with this. For me it doesn't matter if something is easy, hard, complicated or whatever as long as it's fun to build. For some the reason to build something is to have the finished product and those prefer the quick and easy way. Others don't need a reason to build as long as it's fun. If two builds do the same thing, one takes 10 minutes of boring stuff and one takes 2 hours of interesting stuff, the second one is always better.

Also, on the one hand you say you don't want to force people to use RotaryCraft by removing TE. But on the other hand you say TE and IC2 do the same thing so they shouldn't be both included in the pack - by removing IC2.

Forcing people to use a mod by removing TE? Bad
Forcing people to use a mod by removing IC2? Good??

And than you wonder why it's hard to explain your point. It's called getting caught in your own hypocrisy.
Forcing people to use a much more complex mod? Bad (remove TE = remove the easy mode. New people may not understand the harder mods such as RoC)
Forcing people to use a mod that is the same, but has a different power system with less support (not as many EU generating mods as there is RF)? Good... to an extent.

And I never said they shouldn't be public, I said removed from packs where they are made redundant/obsolete.
Let's take one of the more popular packs, Direwolf20. In there we have 2 massive mods that use RF for ore processing; Thermal Expansion and EnderIO. Now they can be powered from:
EnderIO generators, Thermal Expansion generators, Extra Utilities generators, Big Reactors generators, Buildcraft generators, PneumaticCraft generators.
Now IC2 has:
IC2 generators, PneumaticCraft generators.
And seeing as the mod's functionality is in other mods, which have more generation methods, people are going to go for the ones where generation is easier to unify. Obviously people could go RF -> Bar -> EU to use RF to power their IC2 machines, and not have to have 2 generator types. But in a pack like that, people want ease of use, not complex builds.

If we take a pack like Resurrection which has Gregtech in it. Then fine, I have no issues with IC2 being in there, (assuming it still utilizes IC2, I haven't played around with GT for 1.7 yet), because GT adds a lot of cool stuff, more than is in there with RF. And although the power generation options are limited to a few mods, you get a lot more bang for your buck.

With packs there should be a nice balance of what can produce the power type and what can use it. For example if we were to take DW20 and add in RotaryCraft, yes, there is only RoC that can produce the power type for its machines. But it adds so many machines that it outweighs its negatives. Whereas IC2, as a standalone mod - or with addons such as nuclear control/advanced machines, doesn't add anything extra to what mods such as TE and EIO add. And because those mods have a very wide variety of power gen methods, people are more likely to use those mods.

Why does it matter that a lot of people use the mod, to me? Because there are a lot of people who don't have terrabytes of storage space, or A* processors. They suffer from mod packs having mods that get little to no use whatsoever in some packs. And I know a few mb isn't much, but if they are like me and have 50+ packs installed on their PC, some which they may never touch, but may do so they keep them, then that storage space starts to build up. And as for processing power, 1 mod doesn't do a lot, but if it adds world gen, or has weird requirements to the mod (such as factorization's dropper - book thingy) then it could start to hinder that person playing.

TL;DR : I don't think the mods shouldn't be public. I don't think the mods are better/worse than others. I just feel that they are being added just because they can be added.

rdemay91

Jul 29, 2019
IC2's crops? Eh, it's nice, but I find Agricraft to be MUCH nice ;)
As for slimeballs, slimes aren't too hard to find anymore. Swamps at night, or if you are on a BWG skylands map you will have slimes all the damn time, as I am sure @rdemay91 will be able to tell you about ;)
I had more slime balls than blocks on the island I chose to live on and I got a big one that took up 9x10 chunks there abouts

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Processing power and RAM are still a concern though.
Of course, I'm not going to deny that as an issue. But there is no point "wasting" them for things that may never be used.
If the mods were in the pack but disabled (so the user could decide to quickly add it, with no fuss of looking for a download) then that'd be a different story, and I'd have no issue with it. But PERSONALLY (I feel I have to type that for all opinions now...) I don't want to be mining, finding Fz stuff (for example) which I will never use, only to have it clog inventory space because my inventory/chests are always a mess.

Fraction2

Jul 29, 2019
Why not just disable them yourself? Because if they are disabled by default, a lot of new users will not realize to turn them on and could miss out on the experience of the mod completely.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Silk Touch (and Botania's vitreus pickaxe) is making my mod obsolete. So it should not be included in any modpack, not even just vanilla?

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Silk Touch (and Botania's vitreus pickaxe) is making my mod obsolete. So it should not be included in any modpack, not even just vanilla?
If the pack has easy ways of getting silk touch e.g. tinkers construct, then I'd say yes... If it relied on vanilla luck of the draw for enchants, then no. Because your mod makes glass a little less annoying to misplace. Stuff that some mods "fix" but most dont :p