Should some mods just stop being updated in packs?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm not sure I understand the point of this thread. There's no such thing as a mod that needs fewer updates, and the more problematic a mod is, the more updates it needs. Shutting down mods you don't like isn't the solution.

If IC2 exp is dying, its doing so because its not getting nearly enough updates. They've been doing a good job improving interfaces and some mechanics, and implementing a new actively-cooled reactor system was a great idea....but all of these things need a lot of cleaning up and further modernization if they're going to hook back into the mainstream crowd.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
And that is why I asked for other people's opinions on the mods, and to suggest their own "no longer needed" mods
My issue is that you're starting from the premise that everyone thinks like you (i.e. that there are mods that should be removed on the grounds of duplicated functionality), which is incorrect. Your initial "Should" question was valid, as it is asking whether people feel the same, but asking which mods people feel should be removed is a leading question from a flawed premise.

Reactions: mcalpha

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Factorization, IC2, and Forestry are a few mods that I used to always play with but rarely ever used. Back when IC2 was the only way to cook things really fast and there was only one type of barrel. I dont bother including them in my packs anymore, they just dont serve any purpose to me. I know other people enjoy those mods so I wouldnt force my opinions on them.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
My issue is that you're starting from the premise that everyone thinks like you (i.e. that there are mods that should be removed on the grounds of duplicated functionality), which is incorrect. Your initial "Should" question was valid, as it is asking whether people feel the same, but asking which mods people feel should be removed is a leading question from a flawed premise.
Should is a subjective question meaning given 2 options you can always choose a 3rd option "Should you use green or blue paint for a door? No, you SHOULD use white" "Should Fz or IC2 be removed from mod packs? No, but <mod> could be a good candidate"
And I don't think mods should JUST be removed on the grounds of duplicate functionality. Some mods are obseleted by much nicer mods; Fz barrels (the only good feature in it IMO) - JABBA, much nicer looking barrels, and much more functional, for example.
Remove certain mods from packs, yes. Remove it because of them being practically the same. But not stop updating.

I will be honest, I haven't used Fz in 1.7, but from what I have seen from it, it hasn't added anything major, and it didn't have anything that made it stand out as a mod to add in 1.6

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I used the router once and it didn't work properly. It's gone now anyway.
It also has Wrath Lamps, which always used to cause trouble. Thaumcraft and EnderIO are doing that better.

Reactions: Padfoote

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I used the router once and it didn't work properly. It's gone now anyway.
It also has Wrath Lamps, which always used to cause trouble. Thaumcraft and EnderIO are doing that better.
That was the only thing that Fz had going for it when I last used it. But I wasn't going to add a mod just for 1 item which just makes 9 torches (spread out) become 1 block

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
That was the only thing that Fz had going for it when I last used it. But I wasn't going to add a mod just for 1 item which just makes 9 torches (spread out) become 1 block
and there are other nearly invisible lights available (bloodmagic lights for example)

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
and there are other nearly invisible lights available (bloodmagic lights for example)
Only issue with that is the particles, and that it actually takes up the block, so you can't build in the same block... right? Not messed too much with BM yet :p

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
Only issue with that is the particles, and that it actually takes up the block, so you can't build in the same block... right? Not messed too much with BM yet :p
the MC lighting engine is such that all light sources can only emit light level 15, the wrath lamp and family just placed invisible blocks that emitted light to emulate a brighter light

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Factorization isn't a bad mod to say. It has its place but probably not among a hi tech and/or magic heavy based pack.

I would say I would love to see a low to no magic and low tech survival pack. Factorization will fit right in in my opinion.

And like a lot of others have said, mods getting updated or not depends on the devs.
Like me, I didn't play with Thaumcraft 1 or 2, dislike 3 and didn't like 4 till 4.2.30 came out.
There are certain features I didn't like, like permanent warp but for most of the mod, I like it.

If Azanor didn't keep changing and improving his mod, I might never had gave it a try and enjoying it right now.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Factorization isn't a bad mod to say. It has its place but probably not among a hi tech and/or magic heavy based pack.

I would say I would love to see a low to no magic and low tech survival pack. Factorization will fit right in in my opinion.

And like a lot of others have said, mods getting updated or not depends on the devs.
Like me, I didn't play with Thaumcraft 1 or 2, dislike 3 and didn't like 4 till 4.2.30 came out.
There are certain features I didn't like, like permanent warp but for most of the mod, I like it.

If Azanor didn't keep changing and improving his mod, I might never had gave it a try and enjoying it right now.
I would disagree with you on warp, just like I know a lot of other people would. Warp is an annoyance, and with permanent warp you are getting stupid effects that get in the way while you are doing other stuff.
"Oh your out mining, here have ridiculous hunger debuffs" or "Oh, youre building up high? Lets have an Eldritch guardian here too"

Beeze23

Jul 29, 2019
As far as I know, IC2 is the only way to turn coal -> diamonds. So my mostly TE setup still has an IC2 macerator and compressor stuck on the end.

I prefer machines that don't have a random chance of falling to pieces when picking them up.

---

Also keep in mind that "redundant" mods in a pack are more geared towards SMP -- different people use different mods.

Last edited:

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
As far as I know, IC2 is the only way to turn coal -> diamonds. So my mostly TE setup still has an IC2 macerator and compressor stuck on the end.

I prefer machines that don't have a random chance of falling to pieces when picking them up.
PneumaticCraft lets you turn coal blocks (8) to diamonds... which is less annoying than the IC2 way, but still uses the same amount of coal.

Reactions: Beeze23

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I hate seeing threads like this. It implies some mods are better then others and have no place in the current state of Minecraft. All of which is untrue. Fine, you don't like IC2 and Factorization. But others enjoy IC2 and Factorization and would hate to see those mods dropped from packs. So my answer is no. As long as the mod is around, there will be somebody to enjoy it. Not everybody is tied to the whole Thermal Expansion/RF circlejerk.
This times a thousand.

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
No.

Each mod serves to fill out a certain niche, and that niche only dies if its author decides it is not worth maintaining anymore. Neptunepink and Player are both still passionate about their visions of a great Minecraft mod and I don't foresee them stopping anytime soon.

(BuildCraft's not dead, by the way. "Obsoleted" is a bad word for features - most mods which "obsolete" BC features do so in different ways, better for some yet worse for others)

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
The only time a mod should stop updating is if/when the dev has decided s/he has had enough.

If Ymod does it "better" then so fucking what?
Following that line of logic you'll get an endless circle of devs trying to 'out better' each other rather than adding the features they want to add, with each iteration become more stupidly powerful for the sake of appeasing the nanosecond attention span whiners who must constantly complain about everything that isn't to their liking.
Ooh hey- I've made a cheaper JABBA barrel that holds more. JABBA is now obsolete and must be scrapped from everything in the history of ever. Heres a new cobblestone furnace that doubles the ore...

This behaviour have caused enough damage already. We should not be encouraging it further.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bibble

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Power creep as in more powerful items supplanting the less powerful ones for the same kind and amount of effort is bad. Mods adding more powerful content to the late-game, with the intention of being used after the original gameplay-wise, is not.
It's more like there's no easier way of making a tree or other kind of farm than MFR. Forestry, Steves Carts and EnderIO farms all need some kind of infrastructure or limited materials. An MFR farm just needs two blocks and a bit of power.