[1.6.4]Crash Landing [Hardcore, HQM] version 1.1.x BETA STABLE

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Strangest thing just happened. Inside sifting...dawn brakes. I clean out inventory and go out to sweep up nightly drops. While I'm out there killing random creepers, mobs start spawning again...and it's like 10:00? Is this a weather effect 'cause I didn't think it got that dark during storms.

Hexerin

Jul 29, 2019
Strangest thing just happened. Inside sifting...dawn brakes. I clean out inventory and go out to sweep up nightly drops. While I'm out there killing random creepers, mobs start spawning again...and it's like 10:00? Is this a weather effect 'cause I didn't think it got that dark during storms.
thunderstorms cause the sunlight to drop to 7, which is enough for mobs to spawn normally.

moded guy 123

Jul 29, 2019
Btw using gravel is way better for getting ores it gives u the ore gravel then x nilo Hamer it in stages down to ore dust but you get an increase of any ware to 1.5 to 4 times more stuf

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
what i take from your description is that the TiCon chisel just changes the blocks to relevant other vanilla blocks (like cycling the different dungeon blocks), which the chisel mod does anyways.
basically, yes, though the ticon chisel gives you access to some ticon specific blocks. Examples include bone blocks, various chiseled seared/scorched bricks, and I'm sure I'm missing some.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
i have come to the personal conclusion that this map is unplayable without utilizing the chisel mod. after seeing funshine's bases, i suddenly realized i can't have dust/cobble walls anymore. i must make them fancy, if i am to feel comfy in my base. sidenote: what is the difference between chisel from chisel mod and chisel from TiCon?

No offense to Funshine but if you think his base is impressive then the aesthetic possibilities of Chisel haven't even reached you yet.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Ok, I'm considering making 1.1.3 the last of the 1.6.4 updates. There is a growing list of unfixable bugs that are getting quite, quite annoying. The only downside is I'll have to completely rebuild the pack, which would take a month...and a map reset would be absolutely MANDATORY. What do you guys think?

DragonDai

Jul 29, 2019
Not a fan of moving to 1.7.x for a large variety of reasons. 1.7.x, for me, has been nothing but buggy, laggy, and really just not good. The changes to mods from 1.6.4-1.7.x have been, IMO, unfavorable, and there are still some good mods that are either still in beta or haven't been started at all yet (for instance, unless something has changed in the last couple of days, TE's mod coder has separated the piping, liquiducts, itemducts, and conduits, from the main mod, and hasn't even put out a beta for it yet).

IMO, 1.7 was a very insignificant update. It didn't really do a lot for the player and I just don't feel there are many good reasons to upgrade...ever. That being said, I am not a coder, and there were a lot of coding changes. Maybe those were positive things, I don't know. But yeah, from a player perspective, I just don't see the appeal of moving to 1.7.x.

Kerellian

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, I'm considering making 1.1.3 the last of the 1.6.4 updates. There is a growing list of unfixable bugs that are getting quite, quite annoying. The only downside is I'll have to completely rebuild the pack, which would take a month...and a map reset would be absolutely MANDATORY. What do you guys think?
I am total fine with that. Your pack is awesome. Yes it will suck to lose my stuff but I want to see what you can do in 1.7.10

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
I reckon go for it, 1.6.4 is now two versions behind, starting to show its age and no longer getting development, it makes sense to switch at some point, may-as-well switch now.

IMO, 1.7 was a very insignificant update. It didn't really do a lot for the player and I just don't feel there are many good reasons to upgrade...ever. That being said, I am not a coder, and there were a lot of coding changes. Maybe those were positive things, I don't know. But yeah, from a player perspective, I just don't see the appeal of moving to 1.7.x.

The biggest change I believe was the removal of item ids, which has all sorts of coding ramifications, along with removing the constant annoyances of people who can't figure out item id conflicts. That and making it much, much easier to add new mods into a pack.

Reactions: ScottieC

ScottieC

Jul 29, 2019
Don't worry about people losing their maps: they can keep playing the old version if it is important to them. (Shouldn't get attached in a hardcore game though imo).
I cannot comment on whether 1.7 is worth it though as I do not have the experience. From your post it sounds like it offers more. More fixes at the very least.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012

Restarting is literally nothing. I've started over 30 odd times. Whats another dozen? :p

In all honesty though if there is significant reason, bug or feature wise, to move on to 1.7 go for it!

Polymorph

Jul 29, 2019
I say go for it, it should only improve the pack in the long run, right?

LordBufu

Jul 29, 2019

Since it takes a month for you to redo it, im 100% fine with it, even though i havnt played it for to long a month should be enough time to fix this ship and get ready to crash on another planet ;)

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
I played for 3+ days, the phoenix modpack, which was the first pack that actually ran somewhat decently on my rig. Every other 1.7 pack (couple 1.7.2's and a couple 1.7.10's) I've played have been thwarted the world gen issue and then some.

From my perspective, here's my bullet list:
  • The phoenix pack uses skylands, thus, not alot of terrain to generate. Overworld wasn't that bad, thus it ran reasonably well. No botania worldgen, thus, you got that. Twilight forest tho? It was so sluggish, it was pretty much unplayable. You get 100 blocks out in any direction, short pause, like 5 seconds. another couple hundred blocks, not only does it pause for 30-60 seconds but minecraft freezes up during that time. Botania in full bloom (pun intended). See next point. There were zero mob mods, thus ZA or anything along those lines that usually hog up cpu cycles hasn't even been seen yet, and I can assume it'll just get worse. Overall, comparing apples to oranges, even with next item in place, there was a considerable difference in performance. I was getting a good 20-30 fps on the best side of the scale worse than on 1.6.4 comparably.
  • Fastcraft. I think this is necessary for anyone running 1.7.10. Overworld on Phoenix pack, it was hardly noticeable, but I think that's cause of the worldgen. In Twilight forest tho, it made it playable. the long pauses were turned into 10 seconds and happened somewhat infrequently or if you were reading in new areas. Short pauses were imperceptible. Overall, still sluggish and seemed like you were walking in a fog. Multiple placing/picking were pretty common with and without fastcraft. Thus, trying to keep alive with ZA or something? Yeah, not happening.
  • Thermal expansion. It's not finished. It's not even close. You'll have to base your pack on something else. The cache's are a poor man's substitute for barrels. no ducts. Alot of things were definately missing features that seemed to be waiting to be implemented. Recipes were misleading, tho that might be modtweak related. The machines themselves were somewhat buggy. The Autonomous activator would suddenly become a wierd facade instead of a 1x1 block if you looked at it funny. go into inventory, still facade. it's missing textures or something. There were at least 3-4 machines that did same thing. again, nei recipes are bugged.
  • EnderIO. That works quite well. Everything worked out of the box. It's essentially got all that MFR and TE have pretty much and worked really really nice. There are some good things going with this mod.
  • Mekanism. Same as above, tho didn't get too far up the tree. There are some bugs. Ones I experienced were with the barrels (can't remember the name of it). Worked very wierd. sometimes the # didn't register, so you didn't know how much was in the thing.
  • Botania, Pneumaticraft. The worldgen of these two mods are agonizing. Seriously. Removing those from unstable will actually let the damn thing run. With them? Unplayable completely.
  • AE. Completely different. I have a strong feeling that AlgorithmX went to a rave and really hasn't come back. The strobe lights are really pretty :) But yeah, I'm mixed about it. Part of me likes it for some of the improvements, but I do hate channels with all my dark heart. The autocrafting tho, is cool but awful. It's different. You have to go out and scrounge for meteors to get parts and inscribers, so don't know how that'll fit with the pack but I guess it would.
In general, I think the pack would change dramatically. I wouldn't hold your breath on TE. I had to use EnderIO for all the ducts and it worked pretty well. Mekanism ducts were disabled due to lag causing issues.

Overall, it's inevitable that you'd have to redo pack for 1.7 but I think giving yourself a month is hardly enough time. There's so much to do regardless of what state the mods are. I'm very concerned about worldgen, etc... It seems to be a huge issue and then you have 1.8, so which would you redo the pack for?

Reactions: buggirlexpres

DragonDai

Jul 29, 2019
I reckon go for it, 1.6.4 is now two versions behind, starting to show its age and no longer getting development, it makes sense to switch at some point, may-as-well switch now.
The biggest change I believe was the removal of item ids, which has all sorts of coding ramifications, along with removing the constant annoyances of people who can't figure out item id conflicts. That and making it much, much easier to add new mods into a pack.

Yeah, that was the impression I got as well. The big change was the Item ID thing, and the second biggest thing was the biome generation (which doesn't affect this pack at all, obviously). I just don't see either of those things really affecting this pack in the slightest. Therefore, it seems like we are trading a lot for basically nothing. And to everyone saying "Yeah, switch to 1.7.10, it'll have less bugs." This is just not the case. 1.7.10 and the mods associated it are just crazy buggy. Buggy buggy buggy. Every mod I've ever used in 1.7.10 has been just crazy buggy with world crashing/world corrupting bugs. And there are at least a couple of mods that this pack uses that aren't available (yet) for 1.7.10.

TBH, I just don't get why anyone would want to switch over. Maybe for CL 2 or something, sure. But yeah, for CL, I just think that there are literally no good reasons to switch, and lots of good reasons to stay in 1.6.4. I could be wrong. I don't claim to know everything about the two versions. Maybe there are some fixes in 1.7.10 that specifically fix some of the bugs in CL. If so, yeah, totally, lets go to 1.7.10. But if not, I just don't see any advantage at all to switching.

Reactions: Genshou

Hexerin

Jul 29, 2019
Have you seen any of Saice's stuff? Man is a god of aesthetics.
i have not, but i will now. always in need of help when it comes to building, as i'm one of those 'function > appearance' minded people. so long as it works, could almost care less what it looks like. that being said, i still do enjoy cozy living spaces. since i'm a nature kind of person, it's only natural that i would heavily lean towards farming and the creation of farming facilities.

i start a fresh new world with every update, even on vanilla, so that's completely irrelevant concern for me. as for whether or not you should make 1.1.3 the last 1.6.4 update, my vote is for yes. reasoning is that 1.7 has many, many things that are good for everyone. performance improvements, UI improvements, more content, etc etc.

DragonDai

Jul 29, 2019
I played for 3+ days, the phoenix modpack, which was the first pack that actually ran somewhat decently on my rig. Every other 1.7 pack (couple 1.7.2's and a couple 1.7.10's) I've played have been thwarted the world gen issue and then some.<<SNIP>>

Just wanted to add that I echo many of DoomSquirter's concerns, especially in regards to TE. I also REALLY dislike AE2. Unlike Doomsquirter, who has misgivings, I downright dislike basically all the changes (to AE). But yeah, like Doomspuirter said, changing to 1.7.10 will take WAY longer than 1 month and will require several pretty dramatic changes to the modpack (the biggest being that EnderIO is basically a necessity for piping).

i start a fresh new world with every update, even on vanilla, so that's completely irrelevant concern for me. as for whether or not you should make 1.1.3 the last 1.6.4 update, my vote is for yes. reasoning is that 1.7 has many, many things that are good for everyone. performance improvements, UI improvements, more content, etc etc.

I have had the opposite experience with 1.7. Performance degradation (massively), no real extra content outside of biomes (which totally doesn't apply to this mod), and really no good things for players.

Reactions: Genshou