More 1.7.10 Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrickVoid

Dec 2, 2012
Pack dev continues:

1.7.10 packs are in the works. @Eyamaz has had an unfortunate computer fire which may cause some delay on the tech packs.

4 FTB packs are currently planned:

• Magic pack - no tech mods. Lots of mystical lore and quests
  • FTB Lite 3 : Lightweight foundation pack. Somewhere between 5-10 content adding mods with tutorial quests.
  • Tech pack - tech factory mods. May have quests
  • Super Duper Secret pack Eyamaz has been hinting at. The lore continues. More quests more tweaks more fun.
Magic and Lite will be my babies this time while Eyamaz will be doing Tech and the Secret pack. I will probably stick my nose into the secret pack at some point.

For Magic and Lite and my personal packs, development will proceed as follows:

• Alpha - no quests no major tweaks. - Break the mods find bugs, make sure there's nothing that would mean a mod needs pulled.
  • Beta - Hello tweaks and basic quests - More breaking needed, recipe testing, and quest path progression testing
  • Stable - Full release with full tweaks, quests and evilness.
While I will try to ensure no world resets are needed between any of the stages, it is possible that going from Alpha to Beta may lose some mods and you may want to restart. If you want to make sure nothing will change/break or require a reset, wait till Stable.

The 1.7.10 packs will be some of the most detailed packs FTB has ever done. They will not be just a group of almost compatible mods thrown together with a few basic quests. There will be storylines that cross reference other packs and lore and tweaks and all sorts of gameplay additions. Old familiar mods will be back along with some new friends.

Eyamaz may do his pack development differently. I am sure he'll comment on any differences.

I do not know when DW20 will be ready to do a pack. But we have a team to handle the third party packs maintained by FTB. When he's ready I am sure he'll tweet it out.

Will there be a pack that combines tech and magic? Yes

Will there be a pack that throws every popular mod at a wall and hopes they almost work together? No

You want a pack where people just throw every mod they can load without crashing in a folder... you don't need a modpack team to do it for you.

We are approaching Alpha releases. I will be releasing Lite and Mage Quest (Magic World 3) first. Neither will have quests to start. This is just to have a couple weeks of more thorough testing to ensure we don't need to remove any mods due to bugs before quests are written.

Eyamaz will release iF and Tech (no idea on name) when he feels they are ready.

MF3 and AS2 will be announced in my stream section of the forum since they are not FTB packs.

Once we are sure we don't have to pull mods for world breaking issues, we will move to Beta with Quests.

Lite will be a set of quests geared at introducing players to the basic ideas of modded minecraft. Just as in 1.6 it will be a base foundation pack for people to learn on and add mods to.

Mage Quest will have optional quests. You can always turn off the books.

NONE of the FTB packs will be hardcore. We will also not be doing nearly as extensive tweaks etc as we do in our personal packs, these will play closer to default mods.

We were planning to use Cauldron for 1.7.10 packs to make things a bit easier on servers... but with the events of the last few days, that does not appear possible at this time :(

NO YOU MAY STILL NOT HAVE AN ETA

Is there any word, I mean, at all, on the status of the DireWolf20 modpack? I realize he's probably keeping it under wraps until he's ready to play it, but there's been no indication yet, other than that it's being worked on. It's also the main modpack I want to try and play with. So if you have any information Dire wouldn't mind sharing about his upcoming modpack I'd like to know about it! :D

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

wolfpax181

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you for the update. For the reasonable ones of us it's much appreciated to get word on occasion.

And this reply pretty much wraps up the conversation on this topic. I am not happy with it, but I'll go with the policy.

From looking at the thread it looks like it may change in the future. He may just want to nail down stability issues before tackling mod interaction enough to release it for mod packs and dealing with the ravening hordes of us screaming "Iz broke my sheet, feex eet!" Bad fake Russian accent optional.

Reactions: Jadedcat

seanbrockest

Jul 29, 2019
For people asking for optifine and fastcraft, take a peek at 1.7

It includes some of the options we got used to having. better controls on individual sounds, more video options. It might not be as necessary any more.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
For people asking for optifine and fastcraft, take a peek at 1.7

It includes some of the options we got used to having. better controls on individual sounds, more video options. It might not be as necessary any more.

1.7 murders my performance. FastCraft is able to at least bring it to a point where I don't crash every five or so minutes.

moded guy 123

Jul 29, 2019
Since when is Minecraft suddenly about quests?
It depends on how you look at it because for me I look at optional quests to be kind of like achievements but with a reward
(And be the achievement hunter I am I will probably try to complete all of them)

moded guy 123

Jul 29, 2019
If it is not too much to ask of you, @Jadedcat and @Eyamaz

As part of all your 1.7.10 FTB packs, from the get go, I request that you make the packs optifine compatible and include fastcraft and other similar "mineagra" type mods out there that magically seem to make minecraft to "Oh behave, baaby"!

It is mystifying to me as to how my fps goes from 4 to 20 fps and my tick lag becomes an occasional itch rather than "I want to poke my eyes out" type irritation with just fastcraft installed. And before someone asks this, my vanilla 1.8 MC is no better and gives me 4 fps when I am outdoors in a brand new world. :(

All this leads one to ponder, how do modders, who code these mods for free, as a hobby in their free time, manage to get this much more mileage out of minecraft than paid employees of the game maker? (with advance apologies to the wonderful folks over at Mojang, if they ever manage to read this remark) :(
After a while you start to get used to slow performance and your mind speeds it up to make an illusion that it's running faster that's why I still play mods at around 10 or so fps

SpwnX

Jul 29, 2019
Just to clarify @AlCapella, fastcraft does not allow redistribution, but EnetBridge does.
The problem Player has with FastCraft is that it magically improves the game performance, often causing crashes that would be a big headache to him if he had the entire FTB or any other modpack at his neck to fix it. Thus no redistribution, so only experienced users use it, knowning the possible consequences.

FastCraft:
Player said:
Redistribution is strictly prohibited, no exceptions.
EnetBridge:
Player said:
The addon and its source code can be used and redistributed under the terms of the Creative Commons license CC BY-NC-SA 3.0.

@Jadedcat : Ever considered using EnetBridge as a manageable bridge between RF and non-RF (aka EU and FZ) mods?

Last edited:
Reactions: SatanicSanta

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you for the update. For the reasonable ones of us it's much appreciated to get word on occasion.

From looking at the thread it looks like it may change in the future. He may just want to nail down stability issues before tackling mod interaction enough to release it for mod packs and dealing with the ravening hordes of us screaming "Iz broke my sheet, feex eet!" Bad fake Russian accent optional.

I I went through all 6-7 pages of the fastcraft thread too, when I first read about it on IC2 forums (I've become a lurker there lately). So I know what the intent is behind the clause.

My whole point (that everyone seems to be missing) is that a conversation about fastcraft, between a random pack maker (RPM) and player and a conversation b/w player and the FTB team would be very different. Sample these two possible conversations (Fake bad accents while reading the two are optional too :) ).
RPM: Could I include this mod in my pack that's going out in FTB launcher this Friday?
Player: Did you read the first post? Ask inane questions again and I might use the almighty ban hammer.

FTB Team: We would love to roll out our packs with this mod pre-installed. It would eliminate the obvious questions a lot, and help us tackle the important fixes and test play bugs right away.
Player: Oh! You know what, not right away. But give me a week at the most. I have to roll out a few fixes in the existing release, and I had a few other brilliant ideas that I haven't added yet, but will add ASAP. I'll ping you this Friday to let you know which version you can use with your pack.

While the second conversation might take 6-10 steps rather than just two, it would progress rather than stumble at the doorstep as the case (definitely) would be, in the first case. If anything, the whole thing would speed up a stable release of fastcraft through the door, and provide Player with a incentive to continue working on it at a steady pace. It's not the first time a modder has a "I prevent redistribution, no exceptions" clause, and it won't be the last time either. And FTB packs do ship with some of those mods (I know... there are some details involved in each case. I don't want the conversation to devolve any further).

[Maybe player's doing this reasons A and B...., learn to add mods.... policy.....] Instead, it has turned out to be a wonderful discussion so far! [le sigh][DOUBLEPOST=1410146338][/DOUBLEPOST]

Many thanks. EDIT: I posted my first reply just as you did yours. I am leaving it there to clarify why I started this whole fastcraft palaver.

[DOUBLEPOST=1410146410][/DOUBLEPOST]
After a while you start to get used to slow performance and your mind speeds it up to make an illusion that it's running faster that's why I still play mods at around 10 or so fps

My God. Maybe I should just go back and delete my first post? (I am tempted)

Last edited:
Reactions: wolfpax181

TheMechEngineer

Jul 29, 2019

Kinda, I used to play FTB on my old 2.1GHz dual core Toshiba Satellite L500D. The specs on it sound alright for Minecraft-related games, but it only cracked 20fps on a good day with FTB Ultimate and Optifine. I played games on it right up until last summer (that means Christmas holidays in Australia) and one day it just died. Well it would turn on, but no matter what I did the screen was dead and it wouldn't even get a BIOS screen so I must've fried the graphics. That was the last straw for me because I was sick of playing games on a crappy laptop, so after it died I went out and bought a new gaming desktop (3.4GHz quad core, 8GB RAM, R9 270X graphics) and.....it's an understatement saying it was a change for the better :p

moded guy 123

Jul 29, 2019
Kinda, I used to play FTB on my old 2.1GHz dual core Toshiba Satellite L500D. The specs on it sound alright for Minecraft-related games, but it only cracked 20fps on a good day with FTB Ultimate and Optifine. I played games on it right up until last summer (that means Christmas holidays in Australia) and one day it just died. Well it would turn on, but no matter what I did the screen was dead and it wouldn't even get a BIOS screen so I must've fried the graphics. That was the last straw for me because I was sick of playing games on a crappy laptop, so after it died I went out and bought a new gaming desktop (3.4GHz quad core, 8GB RAM, R9 270X graphics) and.....it's an understatement saying it was a change for the better :p
That's a lot of words and all I got was computer 20 fps (with for me would be a massive improvement) screen fried buy new computer no change and btw i'm runing on a cheep laptop that's like 11 years old

Giddimani

Jul 29, 2019
Its not. FTB packs are just including optional quests since many of our users enjoy them, especially new ones that like to have some idea what they are doing. The packs aren't build around the quests for FTB, the quests are built as an addon for the packs IF users want to use them.

As an old timer that lost interest to play a world seriously after 1.4.7, the quests - especially in combination with "skyblock" setting like AS and Crash Landing - is what got me hooked again.

Because of them being optional there is only upside in using them in all packs. People who don't like them just don't use the mod like every other mod they don't like and others who enjoy questing are more engaged, which is great for servers.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
As an old timer that lost interest to play a world seriously after 1.4.7, the quests - especially in combination with "skyblock" setting like AS and Crash Landing - is what got me hooked again.

Because of them being optional there is only upside in using them in all packs. People who don't like them just don't use the mod like every other mod they don't like and others who enjoy questing are more engaged, which is great for servers.

Well the rewards for the packs won't be quite as insane as the Ag Skies ones.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

Chances are your screen didn't "fry"... LCD/flat screen monitors have little florescent "tube" lights in them that back-light the display. I replaced one in an old laptop of my wife's about 5 years ago for 10 USD after watching an on-line video.

Granted, you should be competent working with very small parts and be able to solder to do so, but it is a relatively cheap fix... :D

Reactions: TheMechEngineer

TheMechEngineer

Jul 29, 2019
Well the rewards for the packs won't be quite as insane as the Ag Skies ones.

Will the quest rewards change so....for example, if we're nearing the end of the quest book and complete a quest for 16,000 quintuple compressed ghast tear blocks, we'll get something a little better than 16 MFR conveyor belts? lol
I hate complaining and this isn't really a complaint, I'm just saying that I can't really remember getting something good from a reward bag. Ever. :/
Maybe once or twice they've given something useful but it's like a 1/1000th chance, most of the time I just throw what I get over the edge into the void.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Will the quest rewards change so....for example, if we're nearing the end of the quest book and complete a quest for 16,000 quintuple compressed ghast tear blocks, we'll get something a little better than 16 MFR conveyor belts? lol
I hate complaining and this isn't really a complaint, I'm just saying that I can't really remember getting something good from a reward bag. Ever. :/
Maybe once or twice they've given something useful but it's like a 1/1000th chance, most of the time I just throw what I get over the edge into the void.

Yeah I need to make a better loot tree.

Banedon

Jul 29, 2019

I got so used to playing with the Mysterious Magnet I got early on in a reward bag, that when I went to play a new pack, I didn't understand why all the loot was just sitting there on the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.