A Shitstorm

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
I wasn't going to blame you, but if you want to step up and also admit that you conflated the two in a rather obtuse manner, then alright...

Point is, TE != RF. And you can like or dislike either or both of them and it doesn't affect me in any way. It's your opinion, your game, and your sandbox. Game on.
> Implying I was arguing against a complex RF mod

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
I sincerely think that these unified power systems (even EU and MJ) are killing creativity. TE and RF were amazing, because they brought out a new style of play. But now, RF is taking over everything, and there are less and less mods that go out of their way to make an advanced power system. I like that RF exists, as there does need to be plug and play style mods, for people who want them. But it shouldn't all be plug and play. There should be other options, continueing to be created.
Honestly, I don't completely agree. I think that more power systems are defiantely great, but that's not really where magic mods are actually innovating. They're innovating in functionality, or what can actually be done with them. In truth most magic power systems are very simple compared to something like RoC of PneumaticCraft. On the other hand they can do far, far more with that power than tech mods can. That's because all tech mods do, even as far out as RoC, is automated this, automated that, smelted X stupid amount of items, multiply ores by Y stupid number and instantly mine massive areas. They have all regressed to pure power creep in terms of what they can actually do.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
I haven't weighed in on this because I almost feel like it's not my place to.

But here's the thing: RF shouldn't be the only power system. Period. If it doesn't fit *thematically* in the mod, it shouldn't be used. It works in TE; it works for "Minecrafty" things. That was the entire point. I took Minecraft physics and ran with them. I do electricity for a living and know more about it than the vast majority of people alive on this planet, by an absurd amount. I didn't want to replicate that in Minecraft.

And while I know I'm repeating salient points from earlier in the thread, I'll throw some sentences out, since they carry a disproportionate amount of weight simply because I'm the one saying them (which is unfortunate, but how things go):

RF isn't electricity, it doesn't "fit" in RoC and GT. They shouldn't use it. End of story. Nobody should bother them to convert to it. It's a very simple API and it can be extremely optimized and customized, but nobody has really done it yet. TE's ducts will be slightly more complex in their next iteration, hence why they're taking a while. ;)

Having said all that, I'm still going to call out @Strikingwolf for the FUD being spread around here.

Yes, if you check Opis in 1.6.4, you'll notice that TE's grid tick handler can occasionally go insane. You can cherry pick that and then cry that the sky is falling and that I'm a big giant liar. Don't do that. You are better than that. The bug is FMP in origin, it's limited to conduits (ducts), and has absolutely nothing to do with RF. I've seen your posts - you are not a stupid person, so please stop conflating an FMP-induced TE grid handler bug with inefficiencies in the API itself.

Thanks.

So in summary, it's a sandbox. Everyone chill. The API is whatever you make of it. Also, I'm getting a degree and no longer have time for this nonsense. Try not to burn the house down, thanks.

TL,DR: No. That wasn't all that long. Go back and read it.
>Implying all the problems are because of a bug
>Implying this whole thread is Stiking's fault

I support Striking, even though I can't keep up with this thread anymore.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, I don't completely agree. I think that more power systems are defiantely great, but that's not really where magic mods are actually innovating. They're innovating in functionality, or what can actually be done with them. In truth most magic power systems are very simple compared to something like RoC of PneumaticCraft. On the other hand they can do far, far more with that power than tech mods can. That's because all tech mods do, even as far out as RoC, is automated this, automated that, smelted X stupid amount of items, multiply ores by Y stupid number and instantly mine massive areas. They have all regressed to pure power creep in terms of what they can actually do.

Oh no you didn't
@Reika focus the lasers

Reactions: Zenthon_127

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry, didn't know that API inefficiency

That's the thing. There is no API inefficiency. That's the one point I'd like to get across. You can point out a bug in a mod and that's one thing, but

https://github.com/CoFH/RedstoneFlux-API

on a very deep, fundamental level, does not have any CPU-wasting calls. If you're curious exactly how an API could have such calls, look at MJ in BC 5. That's why RF was born.

Ignoring that aspect then, I still see Cyclic Assemblers at the top of several lists in comparison to mods that people swear are performance killers, like RotaryCraft. It isn't limited to just the grid handler.

An opis log alone doesn't reveal what's actually happening. You pick a mod and a block and I can *probably* figure out a way to manipulate that list to make it look like the most lag-inducing, server-wrecking tile entity on the entire planet.

It's possible there's a corner case with Assemblers and I'm willing to own that. Thing is, nobody ever reports it on the issue tracker. Seriously, 0. And the way MC works, it's entirely possible - and VERY likely - that the bug is once again in the ItemDucts attached to it, yet again FMP in nature.

Give me logs and proof and I'm happy to go with it. I like fixing and optimizing my mod. The shadowy murmurings, however, grow quite tiresome and I'd like to think that people are above that.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
That's the thing. There is no API inefficiency. That's the one point I'd like to get across. You can point out a bug in a mod and that's one thing, but

https://github.com/CoFH/RedstoneFlux-API

on a very deep, fundamental level, does not have any CPU-wasting calls. If you're curious exactly how an API could have such calls, look at MJ in BC 5. That's why RF was born.
I meant the FMP thing sorry. Derped and said API

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
An opis log alone doesn't reveal what's actually happening. You pick a mod and a block and I can *probably* figure out a way to manipulate that list to make it look like the most lag-inducing, server-wrecking tile entity on the entire planet.

It's possible there's a corner case with Assemblers and I'm willing to own that. Thing is, nobody ever reports it on the issue tracker. Seriously, 0. And the way MC works, it's entirely possible - and VERY likely - that the bug is once again in the ItemDucts attached to it, yet again FMP in nature.

Give me logs and proof and I'm happy to go with it. I like fixing and optimizing my mod. The shadowy murmurings, however, grow quite tiresome and I'd like to think that people are above that.
So you won't try to investigate the problem that you know exists because noone reports it?

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Come on man, you know the community. Somebody will make Trajing correct. :p
Nah, the reason I haven't replied to that is because I'm beyond caring, although that wasn't quite what I was saying. Whatever people say, it can't be much worse than what I've already heard so...
Also, it is supposed to have a lowercase T.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
>Implying all the problems are because of a bug
>Implying this whole thread is Stiking's fault

I support Striking, even though I can't keep up with this thread anymore.

The grid handler problems are uh...yeah, a bug. Oh darn, Occam's Razor strikes again.

Implying that the thread is his fault? No. He didn't start it nor am I assigning any sort of blame to anyone for the existence of this thread. I see this as a somewhat reasonable debate thread with a rather sensational title.

Again, I'm all for multiple power systems. There's no conspiracy, I just want people to approach things in a logical manner. I'm certainly willing to own the fact that there's a bug. And I'm very willing to own the fact that I made the call to switch to FMP in the first place, which was a huge mistake, in retrospect.

Reactions: Skyqula

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013

The numbers I have seen are when they are connected directly to an AE system, not itemducts. I cannot, and will not, do any testing as I A) Do not have a functioning install of MC currently, B) Do not have the time or will to do testing, and C) Have not used TE since initial 1.6 release, and do not plan on changing that.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
That is what all major mods to, when you boil it right down.
ExtraUtilities watering can, OpenBlocks sprinkler, RC sprinklers, Timewood clocks, Lilypad of fertility, Arcane Fertility Lamp, RC fertilizer, Time Torches, they all do the same thing.
Same with the pulverizer, macerator, AE grinder, RC grinder and extractor, and any other ore processor you care to name.
Or the Borer, Quarry, EnderQuarry, Tunnel Bore, Arcane Bore, et cetera.

Point is, all mods ultimately are there to add features to help with gameplay. Truly innovative ideas, like AE or bee breeding, are extremely rare and tend to be very quickly copied if possible. Much more common is taking a new approach to old ideas, or significantly improving upon the existing systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.