Those little things that irk you about Minecraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
Le sigh, I must explain the reference again. Not here, but I've had to do it before. More people need to play good shooters once in a while...

436048-darkness1_super.jpg
Enterprise shields >.<

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
What irks me a lot is seeing my console log full of "cannot use bla bla texture, using default instead". Seriously? This has been going on for years, and seems to be mainly due to mods having hidden test stuff that doesn't register but still loads. That sort of stuff shouldn't be happening. Really slows down the loading on a big pack, and No, this is nothing to do with resource packs.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
What irks me a lot is seeing my console log full of "cannot use bla bla texture, using default instead". Seriously? This has been going on for years, and seems to be mainly due to mods having hidden test stuff that doesn't register but still loads. That sort of stuff shouldn't be happening. Really slows down the loading on a big pack, and No, this is nothing to do with resource packs.

As a lover of Sphax resource pack... I concur about all the red STDERR's in my log related to textures. But in the end, the textures load and seem to work fine, so I carry on with life.

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
Not being able to customize Forge's log detail levels. Unless there's an option I'm missing somewhere, it'd be nice to be able to turn off fine/finest for server logs unless I *really* need it on.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
Not being able to customize Forge's log detail levels. Unless there's an option I'm missing somewhere, it'd be nice to be able to turn off fine/finest for server logs unless I *really* need it on.
most of it uses log4j which you can customize

some mods just use system.out (which they SHOULD NOT) nothing you can do about that

Reactions: SatanicSanta

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
most of it uses log4j which you can customize

some mods just use system.out (which they SHOULD NOT) nothing you can do about that
Forgive my ignorance but how would I do this as a server admin? I've no experience modding for Minecraft, I just want cleaner logs generated by my server console (and to save some space on my server, 4-6MB for a day or two of logging is kindof silly.)

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
What irked me today: Thermal Expansion 3 fluid conduits and fluid flow thru tesseracts being totally FUBAR. In my Monster world, I have seen instances where I get infinite fluids (i.e. the fluid storage tank level never drops despite that fluid clearly being used in mass quantity by my production machines) and instances where I get no fluids (i.e. my mob farm which clearly is supplying large volume of mob essence fluid into tesseracts but nothing comes out the other end at the storage tank). I can't prove it to you of course, so you'll just have to trust me, all my settings on the tess and conduits are correct. I know what I'm doing with them. This is a well-reported issue, but it's 1.6 so oh well, they ain't ever gonna fix it obv.

No wonder they've split off all conduits in Thermal Expansion 4 to a new mod with rumor being the new name for them will be Thermal Dynamics. No wonder TE4 is already in beta but the conduits for 1.7 are nowhere to be found yet. I hope they program them properly this time. sigh

Last edited:

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
What irked me today: Thermal Expansion 3 fluid conduits and fluid flow thru tesseracts being totally FUBAR. In my Monster world, I have seen instances where I get infinite fluids (i.e. the fluid storage tank level never drops despite that fluid clearly being used in mass quantity by my production machines) and instances where I get no fluids (i.e. my mob farm which clearly is supplying large volume of mob essence fluid into tesseracts but nothing comes out the other end at the storage tank). I can't prove it to you of course, so you'll just have to trust me, all my settings on the tess and conduits are correct. I know what I'm doing with them. This is a well-reported issue, but it's 1.6 so oh well, they ain't ever gonna fix it obv.

No wonder they've split off all conduits in Thermal Expansion 4 to a new mod with rumor being the new name for them will be Thermal Dynamics. No wonder TE4 is already in beta but the conduits for 1.7 are nowhere to be found yet. I hope they program them properly this time. sigh
Conduits screwed since they supported FMP, they worked perfectly (as far as I'm aware) before then. Just too many people "scream" about hiding pipes to make things beautiful.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
Forgive my ignorance but how would I do this as a server admin? I've no experience modding for Minecraft, I just want cleaner logs generated by my server console (and to save some space on my server, 4-6MB for a day or two of logging is kindof silly.)
I can only forward you to the log4j documentation but it involves adding a text file with the config in the class path

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Conduits screwed since they supported FMP, they worked perfectly (as far as I'm aware) before then. Just too many people "scream" about hiding pipes to make things beautiful.

I figured out the problem... replaced tesseracts with TE3 tanks so I could observe what was going on.

The TE3 fluiducts are not being chunkloaded, despite a chunk loader being there and running, and despite everything else in those chunks working just fine when I'm not there.

I went away for a while and came back... as soon as I flew near those tanks, all the mob essence liquids began to fill the tanks, and fast. The conduits emptied out into the tanks, and the tanks then emptied out into the (far away) storage tank.

It seems that the conduits are chunk loading (because they fill with fluid), but it seems like the CONNECTION (between fluiduct and tank) isn't chunk loading... so the fluid doesn't go into the tank until I physically show up at that location.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.

I guess we can sum it up as.
If you can't be beautiful then be lazy and blame the dev for your ugliness as its obviously not your fault that you're incompetent/uncreative.

With a bit of design, thought, and ingenuity you can make anything work- thats the beauty of games like minecraft.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Yes, if you make every wall and ceiling 3 meters thick :p

I do this as a matter of course when building structures. Inner skin to machine rooms to hide all the ugly cabling.

Just have to make sure to light the gap, or else you get jumped by creepers when you go in to mess about with wires :p

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I do this as a matter of course when building structures. Inner skin to machine rooms to hide all the ugly cabling.

Just have to make sure to light the gap, or else you get jumped by creepers when you go in to mess about with wires :p
I also find it quite cool actually to have these "behind the scenes" corridors with cables and wires etc. And you can neatly hide them and still have easy access with Carpenter's Hlocks doors/hatches.

I usually only do it for floor/ceilings though, as I already want possibility of different materials for floor/ceilings. But that still give possibilities for some weird dynamic corridors etc. Really funny to go exploring in them after having build all the rooms some time ago :p