Agrarian Skys help, venting, and discussion thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
OK, forgive me for being confused when you backpedal your statement like that, but seriously, I use MultiMC and don't give two shits about the FTB Launcher usually(unless it's a slick pack like the sort that JadedCat or Eymaz make, or a pack that meshes well with my style like TPPI), so is there a generic way to do this that could apply to MultiMC? Because while it's cool and all that the FTB Launcher has this functionality, it doesn't do most people a lot of favors, even on the FTB Forums.

At top of this page, click Main Site. Then Servers. Then Server Download. Then Download Server under the Monster image. You now have the server zip file. Unzip it into a folder you can find later. Go to folder in explorer or whatever you use. Click ServerStart.bat. Nowhere in there does that use the FTB launcher.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
At top of this page, click Main Site. Then Servers. Then Server Download. Then Download Server under the Monster image. You now have the server zip file. Unzip it into a folder you can find later. Go to folder in explorer or whatever you use. Click ServerStart.bat. Nowhere in there does that use the FTB launcher.
That doesn't change the fact that the FTB Launcher has a button that says, and I quote, "Download Server", right next to the one that says "Edit Mods", and on the other side of it, is the version selector, that most people have set to "Recommended", and to the right of that one is "Pack Codes".

Because unless they removed that button in later versions, and I'm a few Launcher versions behind, it's right where I said it is. Also, did you even read the reply chain you replied to?
How would one do this without using the FTB Launcher which comes with those .bat files? I think you may find that a surprising amount of people here don't use the FTB Launcher.
Because I all but said it for y'all right there. In fact, did you really read the post you're replying to?
OK, forgive me for being confused when you backpedal your statement like that, but seriously, I use MultiMC and don't give two shits about the FTB Launcher usually(unless it's a slick pack like the sort that JadedCat or Eymaz make, or a pack that meshes well with my style like TPPI), so is there a generic way to do this that could apply to MultiMC? Because while it's cool and all that the FTB Launcher has this functionality, it doesn't do most people a lot of favors, even on the FTB Forums.
Do I have to bring you the notice on a silver platter with 4 mexican buddies of mine playing music for you? Because I somehow doubt that Guan Direction has time to help me with this now.

LunaticMiner

Jul 29, 2019
Once you've run your several stacks of gravel through the sifter, you may have enough ores/emerald/diamond to make an igneous extruder (effortless cobble) and autonomous activator (automated hammering and sifting).

Or I can use the much, much cheaper option of using a pulverizer to make gravel out of cobblestone, along with the fact that it is a mostly single-block option.[DOUBLEPOST=1403248341][/DOUBLEPOST]Use your crucible to get a block of lava (of course this being after you get a cobble generator) and move your crucible to a non-flammable location so you can use lava to heat your crucible, at least until you get an actual Magma Crucible. Lava heats cobble MUCH faster. Granted, its still S L O W A S H E L L but at least its a bit faster.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Seared stone and ice were the easiest for me. For seared stone, just put a stone brick block in the basin and pour seared stone on it, and you get a seared brick block. If you need liquid seared stone, drop that back in the smeltery. Ice just needs water and a glacial precipitator (look up the changed recipe in NEI), and then I dumped the results into a deep storage unit (which was also pretty easy, as I haven't even needed what I made for that quest). Automating these things is as simple as a couple of liquiducts and a few hopper or itemducts.
Yep, I know. I purposely picked the easier ones to start with. Just getting all my basic infrastructure in place, and thought to myself, what can I get done that doesn't require much extra build work at this time.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Or I can use the much, much cheaper option of using a pulverizer to make gravel out of cobblestone, along with the fact that it is a mostly single-block option.[DOUBLEPOST=1403248341][/DOUBLEPOST]Use your crucible to get a block of lava (of course this being after you get a cobble generator) and move your crucible to a non-flammable location so you can use lava to heat your crucible, at least until you get an actual Magma Crucible. Lava heats cobble MUCH faster. Granted, its still S L O W A S H E L L but at least its a bit faster.
And how do you get the emeralds and diamonds for the automous activator you need to get past the all but impossible to obtain diamonds and emeralds via the rule of large numbers? Because just getting a pulverizer is useless if you can't get enough diamonds and emeralds to back it up. And your options boil down to getting villagers via a handful emeralds and blood magic, or the Autonomous Activator.
Come to think of it, a LOT of machines in TE3 have punny names because they often have added alliterative appeal.

Namorax

Jul 29, 2019
*snip*

Is a Apiarist Chest not good enough? Because unless one has enough Princesses to benefit from a AE system for storing them, I doubt many other choices really compete, unless one counts the Indexer thingy from Extra Bees, which holds a LOT of bees.

*snip*

Well, my problem is that the princesses do not stack. In an AE that means they get counted as 2 different types of items, and in an Filing cabinet I have a whole row of (single, 1-stack) Forest Princesses and multiple stacks of every bee princess that consists of 1 princess

As far as I know a Bee needs to die to produce Princesses, right? Does that mean its not really possible to store princesses efficently? due to that Generation Number? After all, Drones can easily get stored in stacks so I'm wondering if the same is possible for princesses.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Well, my problem is that the princesses do not stack. In an AE that means they get counted as 2 different types of items, and in an Filing cabinet I have a whole row of (single, 1-stack) Forest Princesses and multiple stacks of every bee princess that consists of 1 princess

As far as I know a Bee needs to die to produce Princesses, right? Does that mean its not really possible to store princesses efficently? due to that Generation Number? After all, Drones can easily get stored in stacks so I'm wondering if the same is possible for princesses.
...Again, is a Apiarist Chest not enough? They don't usually stack in there either, but drones are different then princesses, for a simple reason; drones don't have a generation count.
Seriously, is it not gonna cut it? They may not always stack, but they are made for that chest! Well, the chest is made for them, but still. It's one of those "don't over think it" issues. You are vastly over thinking it when a apiarist chest will suffice unless you have hundreds of princess, then sorting them into separate apiarist chests makes more sense.

Reactions: GreenZombie

Namorax

Jul 29, 2019
Its just that I heard you have to empty your apiarist chest if you want to move it, otherwise you loose all your bees. But thanks for answering!

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Its just that I heard you have to empty your apiarist chest if you want to move it, otherwise you loose all your bees. But thanks for answering!
Lose all your bees? Not hardly. You just have to pick them all up again! ...Or use a different, smarter way, to pick up your apiarist chest. Doesn't the Dolly from JABBA work on those? I'm pretty sure one can Force Wrench them if need be.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
I use filing cabinets as well, and you're correct in that princesses often times don't stack (nor do they stack in an apiarist's chest, as YX33A pointed out, so I don't understand why that would be any kind of improvement). That said, why do you need more than a few of any particular species. Job one when breeding a new species should be isolating that species in the genetic sampler, as well as any other useful traits it might have. Before long, as long as you have a few princesses of some type, the particular species isn't over important.

Namorax

Jul 29, 2019
Its not that I need more then a few, its that they accumulate when you have 20+ apiaries with very fertile & shortlived bees. What I'm doing right now is to set up a lot of filing cabinets and once they're full, I'll take 2 of every species and dump the rest into the trashcan via Lever. The drones alone keep the DNA Extractor busy.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
That doesn't change the fact that the FTB Launcher has a button that says, and I quote, "Download Server", right next to the one that says "Edit Mods", and on the other side of it, is the version selector, that most people have set to "Recommended", and to the right of that one is "Pack Codes".

Because unless they removed that button in later versions, and I'm a few Launcher versions behind, it's right where I said it is. Also, did you even read the reply chain you replied to?

Because I all but said it for y'all right there. In fact, did you really read the post you're replying to?

Do I have to bring you the notice on a silver platter with 4 mexican buddies of mine playing music for you? Because I somehow doubt that Guan Direction has time to help me with this now.

I was trying to point you to what you asked for in an earlier post, in which a few people already tried to show you. Instead of responding with anything remotely resembling tact or gratitude, you were rather abrasive. I bit back my first response, and chose to give very clear directions on how one might move forward on this task, without going through the FTB launcher:

Could you tell those of us who don't know how to run a local server how to do so? Because it's a clever suggestion, and I personally think that it'd be helpful for you to tell us, or provide a link detailing how to do so.

Clearly, you were being disingenuous or sarcastic with your remark as all attempts to satisfy it have been met with vitriolic responses. Enjoy your game, I'm done trying to assist you.

Hopefully, it will help someone else though.

lostandthedamned

Jul 29, 2019
Does any one know if it is deliberate that you can't put Thaumium Caps on a Staff of the Primal?

Finally made mine to complete Your a Wizard Steve but is it now useless?

Seems to need 200 vis of each primal aspect.
With full robes, the blood magic helm and a thaumium bossed silverwood wand I can get 23% off but nowhere near the 50% I'd need.

Anything I'm missing? I wanted to use it combined with the level 8 magnet I got as a quest reward to excavate in the nether while flying above the monsters.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Does any one know if it is deliberate that you can't put Thaumium Caps on a Staff of the Primal?

Finally made mine to complete Your a Wizard Steve but is it now useless?

Seems to need 200 vis of each primal aspect.
With full robes, the blood magic helm and a thaumium bossed silverwood wand I can get 23% off but nowhere near the 50% I'd need.

Anything I'm missing? I wanted to use it combined with the level 8 magnet I got as a quest reward to excavate in the nether while flying above the monsters.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
It's... not possible with just vanilla Thaumcraft. One needs a wand with more storage then a silverwood wand, or a cap that's better then thaumium bossing, or both as it may be. I hate to say it, but if Jadedcat doesn't have a solution in the pack already, because the Blood Magic Helm, TC Robes, and the best robe money (and magic) can buy in vanilla thaumcraft doesn't cut it.

pjfranke

Jul 29, 2019
Much cheaper? Cheaper than what? And tell me, where do you get the cobble to feed this pulverizer?

Yes, actually I failed to mention the pulverizer. It would be silly to automatically generate cobble, grab stacks and then smash them manually with a hammer to gravel, then stick them into an AA to sift automatically. But JUST a pulverizer isn't "cheaper" as you say, because you still need a way to feed it, and something to process the output.

The lava is faster than a torch to heat the crucible, but using a few redstone to make netherrack from your first few lava buckets in a stone barrel will let you use fire, which heats better than lava.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I was trying to point you to what you asked for in an earlier post, in which a few people already tried to show you. Instead of responding with anything remotely resembling tact or gratitude, you were rather abrasive. I bit back my first response, and chose to give very clear directions on how one might move forward on this task, without going through the FTB launcher:

Clearly, you were being disingenuous or sarcastic with your remark as all attempts to satisfy it have been met with vitriolic responses. Enjoy your game, I'm done trying to assist you.

Hopefully, it will help someone else though.
Either you don't know me yet, or you just learned how I am. Either way, Yay! I succeeded at winning the Mission! And so life goes on.
Much cheaper? Cheaper than what? And tell me, where do you get the cobble to feed this pulverizer?

Yes, actually I failed to mention the pulverizer. It would be silly to automatically generate cobble, grab stacks and then smash them manually with a hammer to gravel, then stick them into an AA to sift automatically. But JUST a pulverizer isn't "cheaper" as you say, because you still need a way to feed it, and something to process the output.

The lava is faster than a torch to heat the crucible, but using a few redstone to make netherrack from your first few lava buckets in a stone barrel will let you use fire, which heats better than lava.
Good advice. I must have missed the bit on 'rack instead of lava, but otherwise we both make the same, but seriously strong argument.
And how do you get the emeralds and diamonds for the automous activator you need to get past the all but impossible to obtain diamonds and emeralds via the rule of large numbers? Because just getting a pulverizer is useless if you can't get enough diamonds and emeralds to back it up. And your options boil down to getting villagers via a handful emeralds and blood magic, or the Autonomous Activator.
Come to think of it, a LOT of machines in TE3 have punny names because they often have added alliterative appeal.

Namorax

Jul 29, 2019
If you ever want to play around with the Ritual of Gaia, use NEI and dump a List of Used Biomes first. In there you can find all available Biomes with the required Temperature and Humidity (aka Rainfall). No more blindly tossing stuff on the plinths!

Just keep in mind you have to start with a 5.0/5.0 value when you start adding things to create the desired biome! Now I can use the same area to place the scented hives. Wintry Bees, here I come...

Mechman007

Jul 29, 2019
The hidden Quest 'Tinkerer' in bragging rights, requires us to CRAFT cracked seared bricks, however there is no recipe for these? Ive done abit of searching and cannot find a way to craft them!

Last edited:

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
If you ever want to play around with the Ritual of Gaia, use NEI and dump a List of Used Biomes first. In there you can find all available Biomes with the required Temperature and Humidity (aka Rainfall). No more blindly tossing stuff on the plinths!

Just keep in mind you have to start with a 5.0/5.0 value when you start adding things to create the desired biome! Now I can use the same area to place the scented hives. Wintry Bees, here I come...

Do you mean 0.5 0.5? Because all other litrature I've found on it states that, but also I have a question

How does it choose the difference between two biomes, for instance looking at the NEI dump, ocean and sky have the same temp and humidity, so if I was to get those values, how will it choose between the two?

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
The hidden Quest 'Tinkerer' in bragging rights, requires us to CRAFT cracked seared bricks, however there is no recipe for these? Ive done abit of searching and cannot find a way to craft them!
Take seared stone(not a brick of any kind), place down, pickaxe, get seared cobblestone(IIRC?), make bricks(IIRC?), ????(IIRC?), PROFIT!