Agrarian Skys help, venting, and discussion thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
PS: what do you guys use to mob essence.
I'll just assume English isn't your first language and you meant how do you get mob essence. Use a MFR grinder to kill mobs. It outputs mob essence which is a liquid, and mob drops. It kills mobs in a 3x3 square in front of it and requires RF.

On a different note (and slightly late) 100 PAGES WHOOO. Which mean I get to sort through them all this week to comb out the useful information. Keep putting this off, but it is time that I get around to doing it.

Reactions: Avatar

jepstein30

Jul 29, 2019
Which pack version are you on? I know the Tinker's Steelworks has gone though a bit of change in the last several versions.

the latest version (2.1.5)[DOUBLEPOST=1400479230][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'll just assume English isn't your first language and you meant how do you get mob essence. Use a MFR grinder to kill mobs. It outputs mob essence which is a liquid, and mob drops. It kills mobs in a 3x3 square in front of it and requires RF.

On a different note (and slightly late) 100 PAGES WHOOO. Which mean I get to sort through them all this week to comb out the useful information. Keep putting this off, but it is time that I get around to doing it.

I was wondering why I ran out of ender pearls all of a sudden.. turns out I had filled up my ME system with mob essence so the grinders all stopped. I am now using the QDS with a fluid level emitter to dump excess mob essence so those can keep chugging. No way I need more than 16 kilobuckets anyways.

I think I'm going to set up a system with an autospawner dedicated to each mob in the game. Level emitters will trigger them on if I'm running low on any of each mob's drops. I have a really good mob system and all.. but I want automation!

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
In the Bees quest, "Bees, Trees and Fish?" we are asked to supply 64 each of two forestry saplings. Easily arranged. 64 each of Certus, Mellow, and Energetic Combs... and an essence of the shallow grave iirc. So I have mapped out the bees I need to breed to get to the destination. And everything s fine except I see that, at several points I need to breed with Ender bees. Which is "not a problem" as I was given them in a reward bag. Until I see that they require a dragon egg as a flower. Erp.

This is AFTER I bred the ender princess and drone together, I am not sure if the gendustry machines can overwrite a trait on a queen?

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
In the Bees quest, "Bees, Trees and Fish?" we are asked to supply 64 each of two forestry saplings. Easily arranged. 64 each of Certus, Mellow, and Energetic Combs... and an essence of the shallow grave iirc. So I have mapped out the bees I need to breed to get to the destination. And everything s fine except I see that, at several points I need to breed with Ender bees. Which is "not a problem" as I was given them in a reward bag. Until I see that they require a dragon egg as a flower. Erp.

This is AFTER I bred the ender princess and drone together, I am not sure if the gendustry machines can overwrite a trait on a queen?

I'm pretty sure they can. From one point of view there isn't really any difference between drones and queens.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I'm pretty sure they can. From one point of view there isn't really any difference between drones and queens.

I am feeling really conflicted about Gendustry. On the one hand, breeding this many species of bees "the traditional way" would be a long long long painful task. On the other hand, Gendustry has, somewhat, trivialized the whole process, even more so than Extra Bees did. My CDO (similar to OCD, but with the letters in the correct order) doesn't even have to deal with hybrids - one trip to the mutatron and I have a purebred queen of the required type.

At any rate... There are about 30 bee species I need to breed to complete that task... and i've already died once to one of them (Forgot to wear my full apairist suit near my newly minted austere bee hive). I got Jaded bees in a reward bag which I hope to make my purple madness salvation, and to use as a master template for bee traits as they have the best possible attributes on a number of traits.

Last edited:

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
I am feeling really conflicted about Gendustry. On the one hand, breeding this many species of bees "the traditional way" would be a long long long painful task. On the other hand, Gendustry has, somewhat, trivialized the whole process, even more so than Extra Bees did. My CDO (similar to OCD, but with the letters in the correct order) doesn't even have to deal with hybrids - one trip to the mutatron and I have a purebred queen of the required type.

I take the stance that it's better than spending weeks on one task.
I kinda don't like bees because I tried doing them several times and never get anywhere before ether A: The pack becomes obsolete or B: The server I'm on shuts down. :/
That's the main reason I hate any sort of mod or mod element that's purely a time sink.

jepstein30

Jul 29, 2019
I've never done bees before.. it always seemed very tedious.

I'm just getting into things now and am going straight to Gendustry. Can someone kind of.. tell me what going only with Extra Bees would entail? Would I just not be able to make mutations directly?

I was thinking of getting every bee species for the challenge.. not sure I can do that without Gendustry in a feasible time frame.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019

I'm just getting into things now and am going straight to Gendustry. Can someone kind of.. tell me what going only with Extra Bees would entail? Would I just not be able to make mutations directly?

I was thinking of getting every bee species for the challenge.. not sure I can do that without Gendustry in a feasible time frame.

Time and effort. Mutation's only have a % chance of occurring and there are several different mutations you can get. But the biggest hurdle would be running around to the different bioms you would need.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019

Pre gendustry, the technique for breeding bees is:
Get a princess from the one source species, and a few drones from each source species.
If you have any extra bees serums for fertility, ensure the princess and the starting drone have max fertility, negative effects are removed, lifespan is as short as possible, temprature and flower tolerances match wherever you are breeding.
Setup a hive in the required biome, on the required block, to "unlock" the desired mutation...
And spend the next few hours analyzing every drone that results for "fitness" (remembering that, even when the new species does occur, that the other attributes of the new species are independent alleles and thus can be lost) and keep on rebreeding drones until (a) the desired mutation occurs (b) you have successfully duplicated it so both the princesses and drones are pure and not hybrid and (c) you have not lost any other desired attributes such as extended tolerance or effect.
The mutation might introduce a lower fertility allele or a negative effect - if thats on the queens active allele, use the extra bees machines to patch it off.
Breed the new bees until you have a stack of drones - use the extra bees machines to save any "improved" attributes as a serum in your serum library.
And decide on the next species to breed up to.

With gendustry, you just pop a princess and drone from each type into the mutatron, and get a purebred example of the new queen in one easy step. As with extra bees, you can use the other machines to "patch" the new queen to be tolerant of whatever environment you have for her (such as, for example, removing her preference for dragon eggs)

If this is your first time with bees then:
* Discard any ignoble queens. They are useless for breeding, but can be used safely in non automated scenarios (or in gendustry industrial apairies with a specific upgrade).
* Any species princess can be converted into a target species by placing her into an automated apiary with a stack of drones.
* during breeding, short lifespan / high fertility is good. Unless you want lots of drones (for dna) after breeding, it is convenient to have extended lifespan and low fertility.

Last edited:

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
My CDO (similar to OCD, but with the letters in the correct order
-psst- they're in correct order when they're in the order OCD, because it's an acronym. Alphabetic isn't the only order there is. If you change the order from OCD to CDO, the meaning is lost, and therefore you have ruined the order of the letters.

Reactions: JunpakuKarasu

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
the latest version (2.1.5)[DOUBLEPOST=1400479230][/DOUBLEPOST]

I was wondering why I ran out of ender pearls all of a sudden.. turns out I had filled up my ME system with mob essence so the grinders all stopped. I am now using the QDS with a fluid level emitter to dump excess mob essence so those can keep chugging. No way I need more than 16 kilobuckets anyways.
Grinders don't stop when essence fills up. While that might have still been the root cause it wasn't direct. :) I turn off the liquid transport on the tesseract channel for my grinders whenever it goes over 10kb essence, the grinders keep on grinding just fine.

Xtremekiwi

Jul 29, 2019
Looks like no one's answered my query, so I'll ask one more time:
Um, I have a question:
nwj5s9.png
Any suggestions on how I can improve my farm area? Those are tomato, wheat, lettuce, potato and tree farms. Each has a planter, a harvester (which, annoyingly, interlay with other fields, so my lettuce harvester also harvests potatoes) and, at least the wheat farm, a fertilizer which is now empty due to lack of fertilizer.
Honestly, is there some way of improving the farm area, as I would like to be able to grow many more things, like soybeans and onions (for practicality and a quest)

pderuiter

Jul 29, 2019

Honestly, is there some way of improving the farm area, as I would like to be able to grow many more things, like soybeans and onions (for practicality and a quest)
- You could add a sprinkler on top of your water block. Gives a bit of a growth boost
- normally a harvester does a 3x3. I seems to remember that it was increased in AgS to 8x8, so making your farms at least that big prevents the harvester from harvesting the wrong field
- Putting the fields next to each other would require less piping i think
- Start thaumcraft and add growth lamps. or Bloodmagic and put a ritual under it
- In the planter you can set a pattern for your seeds, so you can plant more than 1 crop. Make sure to left click in the planter, or the pattern won't stick

Reactions: tetshio

tetshio

Jul 29, 2019

Put all the fields together, upgrade a harvester and a planter so you don't have more than 1 of each (a platinum upgrade is good since if you have rubber trees (sifting dirt), and platinum ores (sifting gravel, sand, or dust), you're good to go.

An example would be what I did, 1 harvester and a planter with sprinklers (bonemeal inside them).

VlNWuvn.png

JHBZYAQ.png

Can assign which crops are planted rather than be randomly placed anywhere on the field. (remember like what others have said, left-click when putting a crop on a filter in the planter. I won't remember the settings if you use right-click).

Reactions: GreenZombie

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019

Any given farm aria can only grow 9 different crops at once. Open up the planters GUI and take a loot at the colored boxes on the left. They aline to the marks on the planter. Place a seed or plant-able plant in any box and only that will grow there.

Marsupilami

Jul 29, 2019
I tend to go for multiple smaller farms due to the way the harvester/planter/fertilizer have to step through each block one a time. Speeds things up.

I agree. I find that 9x9 farm plots are the most efficient especially when using multiple forms of crop acceleration.