Update on the Future of FTB Modpacks in 1.7

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajaxruby

Jul 29, 2019
It has been said more than several times that there will be packs based around other mods. Nobody wants IC2 or anyone else to change to RF. That would just be plain wrong and would personally upset me very much.

And gregtech was put in a separate pack because with gregtech, half like it and half don't. Don't yoou dare blame FTB for anything gregtech. Gregtech was in ultimate, but users were complaining about it being there without any alternative besides DW20. Then in 1.5, FTB developed unleashed, and greg, yes the developer of gregtech greg, chose the mods for unhinged...

Sorry for any misunderstanding. I don't mean to "blame" FTB for anything, all I wanted to do was voice my concern about the fact that these secondary modpacks do not usually get the attention they deserve. This includes for servers using these packs as well, which (at least to me) are a big part of Minecraft as a whole. So, my concerns still exist, because nothing I have seen in the past leads me to believe that any of these secondary modpacks will get much server use. It is just worrying for those who enjoy using mods like TE and IC2 in conjunction.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry for any misunderstanding. I don't mean to "blame" FTB for anything, all I wanted to do was voice my concern about the fact that these secondary modpacks do not usually get the attention they deserve. This includes for servers using these packs as well, which (at least to me) are a big part of Minecraft as a whole. So, my concerns still exist, because nothing I have seen in the past leads me to believe that any of these secondary modpacks will get much server use. It is just worrying for those who enjoy using mods like TE and IC2 in conjunction.
I should just stop by once a day and post this: The Direwolf20 pack is/was/and most likely will be the most popular pack on the FTB launcher. While maintained by FTB, it is a 3rd party pack, not an FTB 'flagship' pack, and is unaffected by this change. While the mod selection is up to DW20, based on his previous packs, and pretty much every video he's ever made, it's a safe bet that his 1.7 pack will include both IC2 and Buildcraft. Relax, you'll find plenty of servers (most of them, likely) to play with all the mods.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
They've never done something like this. With gregtech, it was an offshoot pack for a very controversial mod. However, IC2 is a very beloved mod. I have no doubt its pack will do well.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
While I understand the fact that you guys are looking for consistency, there is one thing that especially bothers me about this change. You are planning on creating packs based on RF, which is understandable considering its universal acceptance and diversity of supported mods. However, mods such as IC2 and Buildcraft developed their power systems as far back as the alpha days. Asking them to rework their entire mods for an API that has only existed since 1.6 seems a bit wrong. Yes, you could say that it is not about them reworking, just moving to a new spot, but kicking them out of the main FTB packs is pretty much a death sentence as far as their use in this community. Look at Gregtech from 1.4 if you need an example. Also, one of the most entertaining and enjoyable ways to use these packs is on a public server with lots of friendly people. So, honestly, making "Your Own" modpack would not really lend itself to playing with others on a lag-free server.

Go back and read the entire thread. IC2 and Buildcraft aren't being banned or anything, they're just not going to be in every pack. That would (and has) made too many packs practically identical. There will be a pack with these mods in it, just as there will be a pack using RF. The intention is to provide variety, and also separate, say, Monster from DW20 which are identical for most intents and purposes.

Resender

Jul 29, 2019
Question:I'm currently doing 2 lp on ftb monster 1 single player on on a smp,can this be ported to 1.7.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I should just stop by once a day and post this: The Direwolf20 pack is/was/and most likely will be the most popular pack on the FTB launcher. While maintained by FTB, it is a 3rd party pack, not an FTB 'flagship' pack, and is unaffected by this change. While the mod selection is up to DW20, based on his previous packs, and pretty much every video he's ever made, it's a safe bet that his 1.7 pack will include both IC2 and Buildcraft. Relax, you'll find plenty of servers (most of them, likely) to play with all the mods.

Maybe they can just "sticky" your post to the top of every page... :D

Planetguy

Jul 29, 2019
I doubt it would work due to the ID change.
Forge is supposed to have tools to preserve worlds coming into 1.7, but it looks like quite a few mods aren't set up for it. Starting up packs it often has warnings that items won't survive the update. That, on top of the usual loss of mods as their devs lose interest or don't have time...

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Forge is supposed to have tools to preserve worlds coming into 1.7, but it looks like quite a few mods aren't set up for it. Starting up packs it often has warnings that items won't survive the update. That, on top of the usual loss of mods as their devs lose interest or don't have time...
Exactly. And Monster is such a gigantic pack that it will certainly not be a good transfer.

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019

I am laughing more than I should, while reading this post.

P.S: Does that make me evil?

Uristqwerty

Jul 29, 2019

IDs might survive the transition due to Forge, but there are also some mods using the update as an opportunity for world-breaking changes. The biggest I have read about being GregTech, which is completely replacing its entire item system, updating many crafting recipes, and introducing machine tiers. There is also AE2, which has changed quite a bit since AE1, and would require at least redesigning most reasonably large AE networks, if 1.6 worlds are compatible at all.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
IDs might survive the transition due to Forge, but there are also some mods using the update as an opportunity for world-breaking changes. The biggest I have read about being GregTech, which is completely replacing its entire item system, updating many crafting recipes, and introducing machine tiers. There is also AE2, which has changed quite a bit since AE1, and would require at least redesigning most reasonably large AE networks, if 1.6 worlds are compatible at all.

TE3 is also getting a re-work, as is BC, and MFR.

Reactions: Padfoote
Status
Not open for further replies.