Update on the Future of FTB Modpacks in 1.7

Status
Not open for further replies.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
I heared Big reactors not updating for a while
Yes. FTB is totally going to build a pack just for big reactors. I'm not saying it's a bad mod, it's a really nice mod actually, but it's not worth making an entire pack for. It's a great thing to put in an RF-based pack, but one can live without it. I'm talking about 'big' mods that would be worth making a new 1.6 pack for, like IC2.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Ic2 can randomly break mods using its api, when its not present.
Definietly must into its own pack.
You aren't understanding what I'm saying, so let's explain it a bit more in detail.

You asked if mods that aren't going to be updated to 1.7 in the near future are going to get new packs in 1.6, yes? I don't know of any mods that are big enough to warrant a new 1.6 pack because they aren't updating. I used IC2 as an example. Of course if it was staying 1.6 for the near future then it would get a new 1.6 pack built around it. That's a given.

What I mean by 'big' mods is any mod that is worth making a whole new pack for. Big Reactors is an addon. It's absolutely useless on its own, but with RF-compliant mods it's wonderful. However, they are not going to go through all of the work to build a brand new pack for an addon. It's not worth the effort.

I ask you to provide an example of a mod that isn't updating to 1.7 that would be worth making a large 1.6 pack around. If we know of these mods you are worrying about, then something can be done about it.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Not true. Reactor Casings are great aesthetics blocks.
Hey. If you want to install a mod so you can burn tons of iron/steel on decor, more power to you. If you want to mine a bunch of yellorium for decor and process it into blutonium just for decoration, who am I to stop you. For practical purposes, the mod is absolutely useless on its own. Talking about aesthetics, let's just toss all argument out of the window because even metallurgy metals have some practical use other than tools and armor when you're talking aesthetics. Everything has a use for aesthetics. Everything. Nothing is useless or pointless if it can be used for a pretty build. But nobody is going to put big reactors in a public modpack just for the pretty blocks.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Hey. If you want to install a mod so you can burn tons of iron/steel on decor, more power to you. If you want to mine a bunch of yellorium for decor and process it into blutonium just for decoration, who am I to stop you. For practical purposes, the mod is absolutely useless on its own. Talking about aesthetics, let's just toss all argument out of the window because even metallurgy metals have some practical use other than tools and armor when you're talking aesthetics. Everything has a use for aesthetics. Everything. Nothing is useless or pointless if it can be used for a pretty build. But nobody is going to put big reactors in a public modpack just for the pretty blocks.

I rephrased my previous post to make it more clear.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
You are tempting me to create a trollpack for exactly this purpose.

pjfranke

Jul 29, 2019
Include gregtech and iguana tweaks on max difficulty
Also zombie awareness and hunger overhaul

Oh crikey, Hunger Overhaul? I didn't realize the full effect of that before starting an Agrarian Skies map. The first time I died from hunger was a surprise. The second time, after consuming rotten flesh, was again unexpected (What?! But I've got, um, "food"!). Useful tip: when clearing out a mob spawner drop, make sure you have real food with you!

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Include gregtech and iguana tweaks on max difficulty
Also zombie awareness and hunger overhaul
I'd be more likely to troll the hardcore fans by making GregTech et al as easy as humanly possible...using MineTweaker, if necessary.

Besides, those last two don't really seem to fit the theme: they (going by titles alone) seem more geared toward mobs and such, not decoration. I would, however, spend all the time needed to port XyCraft to 1.6. Only the aesthetic blocks and nothing else. In fact, if I could, I'd make a meta mod that removes all block tile entities, rendering them utterly useless for anything other than decoration. Everything from MFSUs to extractors to force field projectors to chests, furnaces, and combustion engines. You will all become part of the decor singularity. Resistance is useless. JOIN US AND LIVE.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Oh crikey, Hunger Overhaul? I didn't realize the full effect of that before starting an Agrarian Skies map. The first time I died from hunger was a surprise. The second time, after consuming rotten flesh, was again unexpected (What?! But I've got, um, "food"!). Useful tip: when clearing out a mob spawner drop, make sure you have real food with you!
That's not full effect... Ag Skies has HO 90% disbabled.... try MF2 :p

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
I'd be more likely to troll the hardcore fans by making GregTech et al as easy as humanly possible...using MineTweaker, if necessary.

Besides, those last two don't really seem to fit the theme: they (going by titles alone) seem more geared toward mobs and such, not decoration. I would, however, spend all the time needed to port XyCraft to 1.6. Only the aesthetic blocks and nothing else. In fact, if I could, I'd make a meta mod that removes all block tile entities, rendering them utterly useless for anything other than decoration. Everything from MFSUs to extractors to force field projectors to chests, furnaces, and combustion engines. You will all become part of the decor singularity. Resistance is useless. JOIN US AND LIVE.
GregTech too easy mode in configs makes dirt to fusion reactors

ajaxruby

Jul 29, 2019
While I understand the fact that you guys are looking for consistency, there is one thing that especially bothers me about this change. You are planning on creating packs based on RF, which is understandable considering its universal acceptance and diversity of supported mods. However, mods such as IC2 and Buildcraft developed their power systems as far back as the alpha days. Asking them to rework their entire mods for an API that has only existed since 1.6 seems a bit wrong. Yes, you could say that it is not about them reworking, just moving to a new spot, but kicking them out of the main FTB packs is pretty much a death sentence as far as their use in this community. Look at Gregtech from 1.4 if you need an example. Also, one of the most entertaining and enjoyable ways to use these packs is on a public server with lots of friendly people. So, honestly, making "Your Own" modpack would not really lend itself to playing with others on a lag-free server.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
IF you want to make a modpack around the "Still 164'ing after all this time", how about these:

Game affecting:
1. Reika's mods.
2. Mystcraft plus Extra Decays plus Link Destination Renders plus Linking Tweaks
3. Dimensional Doors
3b: Void monster. Dimensional Dungeons. Dwarven fun.
4. Roguelike dungeons
5. Steve's carts
6. Somnia
7. Immibis - Microblocks, etc.
8. Ritual Enchanting.
9. Sync -- for early game power supply :)
10. Flat bedrock (Hmm ... with Reika's mods ... guess you'll just have to go to a mystcraft age for bedrock ... )

Decoration:
1. Chisel
2. Colored Glass
... (hmm, have all my other deco mods started work on 172?)

Killer nasty trolly pack?
[14-05-12 8:20:57 PM] : Kefke: I think Grimoire of Gaia would be a must, though.
[14-05-12 8:21:28 PM] : Kefke: The creator has even openly stated that the mobs in that mod are not worth the reward of beating.

Reactions: goreae

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
While I understand the fact that you guys are looking for consistency, there is one thing that especially bothers me about this change. You are planning on creating packs based on RF, which is understandable considering its universal acceptance and diversity of supported mods. However, mods such as IC2 and Buildcraft developed their power systems as far back as the alpha days. Asking them to rework their entire mods for an API that has only existed since 1.6 seems a bit wrong. Yes, you could say that it is not about them reworking, just moving to a new spot, but kicking them out of the main FTB packs is pretty much a death sentence as far as their use in this community. Look at Gregtech from 1.4 if you need an example. Also, one of the most entertaining and enjoyable ways to use these packs is on a public server with lots of friendly people. So, honestly, making "Your Own" modpack would not really lend itself to playing with others on a lag-free server.
It has been said more than several times that there will be packs based around other mods. Nobody wants IC2 or anyone else to change to RF. That would just be plain wrong and would personally upset me very much.

And gregtech was put in a separate pack because with gregtech, half like it and half don't. Don't yoou dare blame FTB for anything gregtech. Gregtech was in ultimate, but users were complaining about it being there without any alternative besides DW20. Then in 1.5, FTB developed unleashed, and greg, yes the developer of gregtech greg, chose the mods for unhinged. That means that unhinged is a modpack made around gregtech, for gregtech, by gregtech. If it was unpopular at all, blame greg. Not FTB. Splitting the packs into one for GT and one without GT was a good move aimed toward pleasing both sides of the fence. They seperated it into two flagship packs so this whole "death sentence" thing is really rather unfounded I would say. Let's not blame the fact that industrialcraft absorbed a decent amount of gregtech features which caused gregtech to have to be heavily modified,, resulting in gregtech being released later than it should, no. Let's just blame it on FTB and call it a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.