Taking it elsewhere; a request for some NON-TiC based packs

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
asie.pl drama fodder ^^ :p

@Eyamaz slips in more "breaking news" in random, unsuspecting threads on FTB ;)

Lol. People can complain all they want, but things like the recipe portion of BnB are going to be what defines a modpack from this point out. I've already set the stage for this and more than a few people are following suite.

And I'm working with some people to do even more than just this, my only issue is time at this point.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Lol. People can complain all they want, but things like the recipe portion of BnB are going to be what defines a modpack from this point out. I've already set the stage for this and more than a few people are following suite.

And I'm working with some people to do even more than just this, my only issue is time at this point.
That's good, ever since 1.2.5 when I started playing modded minecraft, I've always felt some recipes needed changing within a pack. Even some simple changes making use of cross mod components can drastically alter the progression of the pack. It also gives more use to components/machines that are usually overlooked/underused due to their limited use within just their specific mod.

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019

+1 for being a champ :)
+1 for being a good sport :)

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019

I like this, but won't this annoy modders like @Reika ?

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Tinkers construct outclasses vanilla counterparts?
http://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/20xhhl/tinkers_construct_keep_you_diamond_pickaxes/

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk
this is misleading, as there are no multiiple-block mining diamond tools equivalent to the hammer/excavator in vanilla.

i do keep a fully enchanted diamond pick on me when i make a run, but i only pull it out for silk touching certain ores, otherwise my hammer blasts through it.

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019

I'll be honest, and say it isn't so much recipes that make a modpack for me, it's kinda having a reason to explore and hqm and agra skies were certainly a step in the right direction. It was my call back to an ftb pack, and even made me give the mod a try. The beginning is tough but, then it counters mid game grind by pointing you in the direction of other mods starting points, and those kinda take your mind off grinding to the end of one thing and burning you out, and makes every mod a new beginning, rather than a bucket list. Although I do understand that it is difficult to do questlines for every pack would be a nightmare.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
I like this, but won't this annoy modders like @Reika ?

Why? I dont plan on adjusting any of @Reika recipes...

I'll be honest, and say it isn't so much recipes that make a modpack for me, it's kinda having a reason to explore and hqm and agra skies were certainly a step in the right direction. It was my call back to an ftb pack, and even made me give the mod a try. The beginning is tough but, then it counters mid game grind by pointing you in the direction of other mods starting points, and those kinda take your mind off grinding to the end of one thing and burning you out, and makes every mod a new beginning, rather than a bucket list. Although I do understand that it is difficult to do questlines for every pack would be a nightmare.

The recipes are part of what unifies the pack together. AgSK is no different in that. HQM is another tool we will be using. So, yeah...

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
Why? I dont plan on adjusting any of @Reika recipes...

The recipes are part of what unifies the pack together. AgSK is no different in that. HQM is another tool we will be using. So, yeah...
Eh It really depends I like some recipe changes.. Some I feel are a bit of a slap in the face of a mod with a specific feel, like a magic mod. Flux infused ingots in a bloodmagic recipe kinda felt a bit of an offput to me. But once again it was a pack aimed at magic and tech working together. But that's just me being all "MAGIC MASTAH POWAH". But seeing more packs with hqm is a relief for sure. Those goody bags are an addiction.... And sometimes a life saver. That splintered axe was not only my first axe off the bat, I actually used it to save myself from my first death. having unique items with a bit more oomph are certainly nice.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Eh It really depends I like some recipe changes.. Some I feel are a bit of a slap in the face of a mod with a specific feel, like a magic mod. Flux infused ingots in a bloodmagic recipe kinda felt a bit of an offput to me. But once again it was a pack aimed at magic and tech working together. But that's just me being all "MAGIC MASTAH POWAH". But seeing more packs with hqm is a relief for sure. Those goody bags are an addiction.... And sometimes a life saver. That splintered axe was not only my first axe off the bat, I actually used it to save myself from my first death. having unique items with a bit more oomph are certainly nice.

Recipes depend on the pack. With Ag Skies and MF2 it was about making all the mods feel like one game.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
You guys do know that there's other launchers out there right? I don't really know if the other launchers (multiMC, ATLauncher, MagicLauncher to name a few) will be as ready for 1.7 as FTB but they will be nor are they as robust as FTB but hey are options if the new FTB packs seem inadequate.
Also with the 1.7 ID change the headache of ID conflicts is somewhat diminished (I still think conflicts could still occur, how does it handle items/ blocks with the same name?). All you need to know then is how to install forge (which is only difficult if you use a separate instance launcher), maybe how to use a MC instance handler and how to find out which mod just plain old don't play nice together.
So it should be a smidgeon easier to make your pack, distribution will be the same though unless you aren't shy with stepping on modders toes with permisison. (I suggest people try to respect modders wishes though, if not out of a sense of decency, then to avoid the modders wrath)

One tip with MultiMC (in 1.6.4) it doesn't like it when you heap on mods at the start, you end up with memory troubles and mods don't initialize properly if at all (at least that's what the console said). If you add them and run them one to three at a time it tends to work.
Either way if you are making a pack totaly from scratch this will be what you have to do anyway to avoid conflicts at least as at now (1.6.4).

FTB are awesome, but you are not beholden to them.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I don't think TiC is a bad balance point. I think that vanilla is the bad balance point. You're constantly mining, trying to find enough resources to make sure you can make a new pick/axe/sword/whatever, before the old one breaks. Which is perfectly fine in vanilla. Once you start adding mods, though, you're using those same resources for other things. I don't want to constantly worry about having enough materials to keep going. I don't see TiC as being any different than a BC Quarry, or any other automated mining machine. It's better because I can do the mining myself, instead of having to wait for a machine.

I'm not beholden to FTB. Just loyal.

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
This feeling of entitlement that FTB pack creators need to tailor their packs to an individual's playing style or that individual "can't play modded minecraft" is starting to irritate me. The only pack they have for 1.7.2 is clearly labelled unstable and is really just a hash together of mods to get the feel of 1.7.2, yet there has been endless amounts of complaining on these forums; a ridiculous amount. If you don't like a pack, try another, if you don't like that one, there are going to be many more to try. If none of these other packs (and we don't even know their exact nature yet!) seem to meet some sort of "standard" make your own private pack. I do this, many others do this.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
When it comes to resource acquisition the main point of balance, for ores at least, is more likely to be cofh core or metallurgy. Mods like Tinker's construct just give more ways to exploit the materials put there by cofh etc. Hopefully it does this in a fun way. In Resonant Rise, default ore gen is very generous, and half an hour to an hour with a decent hammer and an ender pouch will get you plenty of resources, but its mainly because of high ore gen, ore doubling and a slightly reimplemented vanilla fortune mechanic. When I am mining with my TiCo Hammer Ragnarok (I thought mjolnir was too cliche) I do feel very powerful, but it is mainly because I am playing a pack that throws resources at you (at least in default mode).

Also, in 1.6, I don't think Tinker's Construct has been quite the dominating force it is being made out to be. Powerful tools have been found in many other mods and its not like they are being ignored. Dartcraft, Redstone Arsenal, Thaumcraft + addons, Blood Magic etc. They have existed alongside Tinker's Construct in many of the packs I have seen (not just FTB) and people are playing with their tools too. Also, mods like Open blocks and Liquid XP, while not adding tools themselves, improve the enchanting system so much (just remembered so does Thaumic Tinkerer). This buff has made the enchantments, that bring other mod's tools up to the same standard (or higher) as fully upgraded Tinker's tools, much more accessible and fun.

I'm sorry if that sounded a bit aggressive Keybounce, and others. I am highly caffeinated after a marathon Lua session.

tl:dr There are plenty of alternatives already in existence alongside Tinker's Construct. Balance points do not reside in the tools, but in the scarcity of the resources they harvest.