Is "Blood Magic" Overpowered?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

abobabo

Jul 29, 2019
Another good way to get the books in people's hands, for mods that aren't early-game focused, is to have them as quite common drops in loot chests, and guaranteed in the starting chest if you play with the starting chest option on. Thaumcraft has them in loot chests at totems, which both makes sense and is a great way for new players to learn about the mod "when the time is right".

Of course that's of limited use in multiplayer where everything gets looted quickly, but in multiplayer you have people to ask.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Another good way to get the books in people's hands, for mods that aren't early-game focused, is to have them as quite common drops in loot chests, and guaranteed in the starting chest if you play with the starting chest option on. Thaumcraft has them in loot chests at totems, which both makes sense and is a great way for new players to learn about the mod "when the time is right".

Of course that's of limited use in multiplayer where everything gets looted quickly, but in multiplayer you have people to ask.

Chococraft does the mob drop thing. I thought it was pretty cool, but the mod is fairly simple and it hardly needs it. However the book had other uses (like naming Chocobos).

Middleclaw

Apr 12, 2014
One simple solution is have an "omnibus" type book mod that is set up to recognise what mods are installed from a predefined list and then when the player opens the book to read it, it will display a brief summery of each mod and a quick recipe on how to get that mods books (if any).

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
Chococraft does the mob drop thing. I thought it was pretty cool, but the mod is fairly simple and it hardly needs it. However the book had other uses (like naming Chocobos).
Please no. I don't really care about Chococraft, but I've seen that thing drop so often in let's plays that I don't think anyone deserves to suffer from droppable non-stackable books any more.
Why not just do it the TCon way? Make a blood altar, and poof a book comes out. It's not like you can start from anywhere else in the mod.

Reactions: RedBoss

Middleclaw

Apr 12, 2014
Yeah, I know that mod, But you still have to find the books to put into it.

If Blood Magic is going to be as popular as I think it will be (shades of Thaumcraft), there will no doubt be addons for it in the near future. Most likely books to go with them (TiCo anyone?).

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Please no. I don't really care about Chococraft, but I've seen that thing drop so often in let's plays that I don't think anyone deserves to suffer from droppable non-stackable books any more.
Why not just do it the TCon way? Make a blood altar, and poof a book comes out. It's not like you can start from anywhere else in the mod.

This post is a step backwards into the last page.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
Problem is how do people know how to put it in the altar? It's quite a lot of steps compared to TC's wand on bookshelf.
How do people know how to place a diamond in the altar to obtain a blood orb? I agree that it would involve a little bit of reading the mod page, but reading a snippit of the page on the forums to learn how to make an ingame wiki is well worth it in my opinion.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
How do people know how to place a diamond in the altar to obtain a blood orb? I agree that it would involve a little bit of reading the mod page, but reading a snippit of the page on the forums to learn how to make an ingame wiki is well worth it in my opinion.
Its explained on the MCF post.

Everyone calm down on the in game docs. I learned most of the mods with ZERO in game documentation and crappy forum threads. Most of what I learned was on THESE very forums and awesome server mates.

abobabo

Jul 29, 2019

Everyone calm down on the in game docs. I learned most of the mods with ZERO in game documentation and crappy forum threads. Most of what I learned was on THESE very forums and awesome server mates.
Good for you. Not everyone plays or wants to play the way you do. More venues of understanding is better. People learn in different ways. For me, the in-game manual is the reason I could learn thaumcraft 4 but have not yet managed to grasp ars magicka.

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019

That wasn't an actual question... I was returning his question with a "question" I know you can find the information in the forum post, but just as the orb is explained in the forum post, so could the book. Personally I like books as switching between browser and game is extremely distracting, it upsets the flow of the mod, and come on... Wizards NEED their magical tomes.. What self respecting wizard doesn't have tomes of knowledge stored in their library?

abobabo

Jul 29, 2019
Ars Magicka has an in game book doesn't it?
I wouldn't know, have never found one. It might have. But I'd prefer not to have to research such things out of game - hence why I propose in-game books as loot in chests, or basic instructions as achievements.[DOUBLEPOST=1398278708][/DOUBLEPOST]
it upsets the flow of the mod,
This!

It might be okay for a super-technical mod like rotarycraft, but when I play a magic mod, I want to feel like I'm playing a character, not like I'm pressing buttons to make the screen show new colors. Having to leave the game shatters immersion.

Omegatron

Mar 29, 2013
England
I wouldn't know, have never found one. It might have. But I'd prefer not to have to research such things out of game - hence why I propose in-game books as loot in chests, or basic instructions as achievements.
Ars Magicka's book is the arcane compendium. Don't you have to make that to actually start using the mod?

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Ars Magicka's book is the arcane compendium. Don't you have to make that to actually start using the mod?
Well, theoretically, it's possible to use all the AM stuff without actually casting any spells, but to get a mana bar and skills, yeah.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

abobabo

Jul 29, 2019
Achievements get reset so easily that they're not worth making
When the goal of the achievement is for the player to understand how something works, it fills that purpose splendidly.

Achievement "hunting" isn't worth it in minecraft though.

Probably. Which is why I've never grasped it.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Well, theoretically, it's possible to use all the AM stuff without actually casting any spells, but to get a mana bar and skills, yeah.

Nope. You have to craft the book (actually picking it up off the ground) to start using the occulous, which is how you craft spells, which is the primary purpose of the mod. So no, it is not possible to use all the AM stuff without the compendium. Some craftables require certain unlocks (which was an issue for DW20 in his FC1 series)

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Nope. You have to craft the book (actually picking it up off the ground) to start using the occulous, which is how you craft spells, which is the primary purpose of the mod. So no, it is not possible to use all the AM stuff without the compendium. Some craftables require certain unlocks (which was an issue for DW20 in his FC1 series)
Let me rephrase that, then. It's somewhat silly to do so, but one could still use every part of the mod not associated directly with spells without really understanding what they were doing, or why, as long as they have NEI.

Reactions: RedBoss