FTB - Curse Update

Ryiah

Jul 29, 2019
The FTB launcher is already a third party program.
FTB launcher not only does not require an account and being logged in, but I believe Curse actually requires itself to be running in the background.

Slowpoke is taking the decision to move from the current dev model to Curse. Has anyone heard from the current launcher devs? Are they happy to be free of that burden?
Personally I would like to see them open source the current launcher. At the very least it will provide something for those who are on platforms unsupported by Curse.

xpermental

Jul 29, 2019
With the new client will we be able to use something other then the default directory, so we could easily run it off a flash key?

BlacKHeaDSg1

Jul 29, 2019
I really don't like Curse Client idea just because it is yet another thing to install + register (and you don't have control over it ... don't give you an option to install any other disk/folder) to use it at all. For now it is quite easy because i need only Mojang account. If there will be FTB with Curse, you will need to input 2 passwords (Curse and Mojang) + run Curse client to get even working. Anyway .... i don't like this idea.

Reactions: Teddy Bear

beerhuntor

Jul 29, 2019
This merger for me personally, I don't see an issue personally, I currently am running windows, and already have CC due to me being a World Of Warcraft player. As it stands, if it works similarly to that, with the people saying you will need CC open to play the game, I don't think that will be the case, It will simply be a case of using it to install the mods directly to your root game directory and launch the game. Could even be possible to shortcut the "launcher.exe" in your directory to bypass the logging into CC to launch the game every time. Not having Linux support though, in the MInecraft community will be a huge pitfall for many people. Most servers are run off linux, and many of those player bases are probably windows, and as someone mentioned previous, you could potentially lose alot of players. The only thing I would have to say about the new "launcher" is that I hope it has the same features the current FTB one does presently, I.E being able to download complete server files with configs for modpacks and ability to easily add your own mods to modpacks.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
I have used the Curse client for years for WoW mods (like someone else posted) and it "worked"

I always found it difficult to browse the mods in the client, as the description portions were almost always hacked off in mid sentence, or even in the middle of a word. It seemed silly to me to have to click on the "more" link for the client to open up a web page to display information that could have easily been displayed in the client.

One question tho'

I know the FTB team does great work, making sure the mod packs work well together, where mods are not causing troubles with other mods *cough*GregtekTinkersConstruct*cough* Will they still have the oversight and ability to create mod packs or will it be more like the WoW model where it's up to the user to select the mods they want and hope they don't conflict?

Keep up the awesome work!

Kaelten

Jul 29, 2019
One question tho'

I know the FTB team does great work, making sure the mod packs work well together, where mods are not causing troubles with other mods *cough*GregtekTinkersConstruct*cough* Will they still have the oversight and ability to create mod packs or will it be more like the WoW model where it's up to the user to select the mods they want and hope they don't conflict?

Keep up the awesome work!

The contents and building of the mod packs will stay 100% in the hands of the FTB team.

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
@Kaelten Could you report on whether the Curse client will need to be running in the background while you're playing a modpack? That seems to be a concern of some people, though if it's as efficient as you say it is (0%-3% CPU use), I don't see a huge problem with it running in the background anyway.

Kaelten

Jul 29, 2019
@Kaelten Could you report on whether the Curse client will need to be running in the background while you're playing a modpack? That seems to be a concern of some people, though if it's as efficient as you say it is (0%-3% CPU use), I don't see a huge problem with it running in the background anyway.

By default the client will run in the background, but once the game is launched I don't think you'll be forced to have it running. Realistically I don't think you'd even have to go through it except to do updates if you didn't want to.

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com
Would we have to be on mcForums for this? I've been haunted by old posts and infractions (some bitch read through every post I've ever made and reported half of them) so if couldn't play FTB because I was banned, that would kinda be an issue.

Reactions: Padfoote

beerhuntor

Jul 29, 2019
Would we have to be on mcForums for this? I've been haunted by old posts and infractions (some bitch read through every post I've ever made and reported half of them) so if couldn't play FTB because I was banned, that would kinda be an issue.
I highly doubt this would be an issue to play the modpacks themselves., more of an issue to report bugs on the forums maybe. To play the game no. As you will be logging into minecraft.net who curse don't have any control over anyway.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I very much doubt whether your Minecraft forum posting privileges have anything to do with your ability to run the Curse client.

Sacheverell

Jul 29, 2019

MCF and the Client aren't tied to each-other, forum suspensions/bans are specific to the forum.

seanbrockest

Jul 29, 2019
Minecraftforum.net is probably the worst run forums i've ever seen. So much advertising, slow response time, and graphics that cause so much rendering lag that it's hardly worth going there.

Please tell me you wont let curse do this to our forums as well...

Kaelten

Jul 29, 2019

Nope, as current plans stand the forums will be part of the project site, and the project site will be ad free.

Reactions: Flipz

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
From what I've read, Kaelten, the Curse Client is, for Windows at least, being developed using the Windows Presentation Foundation. My question is thus: assuming this is so, would that not mean its being developed for the .Net Framework? If it is, then you could probably port most of your code base to other, non-Windows operating systems using Mono, and perhaps finding something that'd let you tweak the UI and some more specialized bits of the code for your target non-Windows platforms. Yeah, the first "public alpha/beta" versions would be a little "ugly" and maybe a tad slower than their Windows cousins, but they'd placate the community while giving you a platform off which to jump into improving the non-Windows user experience.

I can back Qt programs being a little slower than their non-Qt cousins, as well. I think this may have to do with added overhead from the framework itself...or poor code on the author's part. Unfortunately, it seems to be the best (if not necessarily only) choice for developing non-managed GUI applications using C++ with any form of efficiency. This is all my own personal experience, of course, so your mileage may vary.

Kaelten

Jul 29, 2019
From what I've read, Kaelten, the Curse Client is, for Windows at least, being developed using the Windows Presentation Foundation. My question is thus: assuming this is so, would that not mean its being developed for the .Net Framework? If it is, then you could probably port most of your code base to other, non-Windows operating systems using Mono, and perhaps finding something that'd let you tweak the UI and some more specialized bits of the code for your target non-Windows platforms. Yeah, the first "public alpha/beta" versions would be a little "ugly" and maybe a tad slower than their Windows cousins, but they'd placate the community while giving you a platform off which to jump into improving the non-Windows user experience.

I can back Qt programs being a little slower than their non-Qt cousins, as well. I think this may have to do with added overhead from the framework itself...or poor code on the author's part. Unfortunately, it seems to be the best (if not necessarily only) choice for developing non-managed GUI applications using C++ with any form of efficiency. This is all my own personal experience, of course, so your mileage may vary.

Unfortunately Mono doesn't support WPF, if it did a lot of this would a non issue.