Magic Farm 2 venting and advice thread

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
The bees after Cultivated : Noble and Diligent, can be difficult to isolate and breed pure. This is what I do for Noble (Diligent is same, just substitute Diligent for Noble)

1. Stick 3x Soul Frame in Apiary

2. Stick pure Cultivated and pure Common in Apiary

3. If I get a pure Noble, set aside

4. If I have pure drone and princess, exit

5. Otherwise, if I have hybrid Noble-x, x-Noble, set aside unless I have already have one of that type. Note the left vs. right of the x doesn't matter. There is no difference for breeding purposes between Noble-Common and Common-Noble.

6. For Noble, If I have 2 hybrids such that the following are satisified:

Exactly 2 of the 4 species between drone and Princess are Noble
Exactly 1 of the 4 species is Common
Exactly 1 of the 4 species is Cultivated

...I still stick that princess/drone into the 3x Soul Frame Apiary and try to get a pure

7. Goto step 2 until I have 1x pure Princess and 1x pure Drone

You are also more than welcome to try and breed 1x pure and 1x hybrid, but I have bad luck with those and often ending up losing the pure.

To add some detail to the "why ?" of step 6:
  • Noble + Noble will be Noble @ 100%
  • Noble + Common will be Noble @ 50% (Common @ 50%)
  • Noble + Cultivated will be Noble @ almost 50% (Cultivated @ almsot 50%, Majestic @ mutation % + Soul Frame boost)
  • Common + Cultivated will be Noble @ mutation % + Soul Frame boost
In other words, every combination has some chance to be Noble *and* I find that you get many, many hybrids from Common + Cultivated with 3 Soul Frames. So, there should always be plenty of hybrids to use in step 6.

Last edited:
Reactions: James_Grimm

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Also, if you are trying to stabilize the line, or simply don't want mutations (breeding in traits manually), you can use a bee house. Bees in a bee house will never mutate.

In the example above, a noble with a cultivated, will never give a majestic. Only noble, cultivated, and hybrids.

I have bred bees before with the necessary traits manually. It's a royal pain. The bee machines are necessary to get the bees in any sort of time frame besides eternal.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I think i am going to start a new world using the latest version, harder mf, and food challenge. I will not be going hard core this time around. I can't stand the cheesy 1 shot deaths.

Edit: I actually did go for hardcore mode again, but I disabled the ender creeper.

Last edited:

Fortescue

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah the trees still spawn in the world, but if its something you can get through breeding you can't craft the harvest craft sapling. The fruits are interchangable for recipe purposes.

Not sure if it is just an oversight by me, but that doesn't seem to hold for coconuts.

I got a coconut sapling by using bonemeal on a gras block. As it did not drop any saplings i wanted to craft a sapling to no avail. This made me curious as i had the same problem with world-gen peaches, olives and bananas. So i creative-spawned the forestry-coconuts which gave me a different kind of coconut that can not be used in a juicer-recipe.

So i understand that:
a) There are some world-gen fruits that are not supposed to exist but right now still spawn - ok
b) All forestry fruits should be interchangeable - ok (at least in most cases)
c) coconuts are not interchangeable - nok

Or am i missing some point?

Raladan

Jul 29, 2019
Hello
I like the mod idea very much but unfortunately it's pretty laggy for me, so I'm wondering which mods can be removed without breaking mod key elements. I'm not familiar with some of the mods so no idea what effect they have on gameplay. I tried to sort them according to my knowledge but would really appreciate help from people, who already played this pack and have more experience and know which mods are the most laggy.

Core mods
  • Tinker's Construct and Tinker's Construct
  • Hunger Overhaul
  • Forge
  • Special Mobs and Deadly World
  • Cofh Core and Thermal Expansion 3
  • Code Chicken Core and NEI + Nei Plugins + NEI Addons
  • JABBA,WAILA
  • Inventory Tweaks
  • Agriculture

Utility mods, helpful but can be removed
  • Extra Utilities
  • PowerCrystals Core and MineFactory Reloaded
  • Ironchest
  • Open Blocks
  • Mystcraft
  • Infinibow, Switches, Flatsigns and Obsidiplates
  • Thaumcraft 4 and Thaumic Tinkerer
  • Biomes of Plenty
  • Forestry and Magic Bees
Can be removed
  • Bibliocraft
  • Fancy Fences
  • OPIS
  • Applied Energistics
  • Infernal Mobs
  • Natura
  • Redstone Arsenal
No idea
  • Pam's Harvest Craft
  • Blood Magic
  • Mariculture
  • Growthcraft

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure if it is just an oversight by me, but that doesn't seem to hold for coconuts.

I got a coconut sapling by using bonemeal on a gras block. As it did not drop any saplings i wanted to craft a sapling to no avail. This made me curious as i had the same problem with world-gen peaches, olives and bananas. So i creative-spawned the forestry-coconuts which gave me a different kind of coconut that can not be used in a juicer-recipe.

So i understand that:
a) There are some world-gen fruits that are not supposed to exist but right now still spawn - ok
b) All forestry fruits should be interchangeable - ok (at least in most cases)
c) coconuts are not interchangeable - nok

Or am i missing some point?

I'll look into the coconut issue.

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
Hello
I like the mod idea very much but unfortunately it's pretty laggy for me, so I'm wondering which mods can be removed without breaking mod key elements. I'm not familiar with some of the mods so no idea what effect they have on gameplay. I tried to sort them according to my knowledge but would really appreciate help from people, who already played this pack and have more experience and know which mods are the most laggy.

Core mods
  • Hunger Overhaul
  • Forge
  • JABBA,WAILA
  • Inventory Tweaks
  • Agriculture

• Extra Utilities
  • Ironchest
  • Open Blocks
  • Mystcraft
  • Biomes of Plenty
Can be removed
  • Bibliocraft
  • Fancy Fences
  • OPIS
  • Applied Energistics
  • Infernal Mobs
  • Natura
  • Redstone Arsenal
No idea
  • Pam's Harvest Craft
  • Blood Magic
  • Mariculture
  • Growthcraft
For me I am fairly sure that infernal mobs and/or special mobs were causing 'lag'. I was experiencing SPF instead of FPS at night, especially since spawn was in the middle of a village) and I don't have nearly the problem with framerate in other packs in similar situations. You can easily test if this or just vanilla pathfinding lag is your issue by switching to peaceful and seeing if that clears anything up. Also Mariculture was causing issues for some people, although I think the most common problems have been solves on joshie's end(the developer) or with config magic.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Hello

Core mods
  • Hunger Overhaul
  • Forge
  • JABBA,WAILA
  • Inventory Tweaks
  • Agriculture

• Extra Utilities
  • Ironchest
  • Open Blocks
  • Mystcraft
  • Biomes of Plenty
Can be removed
  • Bibliocraft
  • Fancy Fences
  • OPIS
  • Applied Energistics
  • Infernal Mobs
  • Natura
  • Redstone Arsenal
No idea
  • Pam's Harvest Craft
  • Blood Magic
  • Mariculture
  • Growthcraft

You could probably remove Ironchest, Mystcraft, Bibliocraft, Fancy Fences, Opis, AE, Redstone Arsenal, Mariculture and Growthcraft without affecting the core gameplay (early to mid level) too much depending on your play style. You could also remove Thermal Expansion, Magic Bees, Blood Magic, Thaumcraft 4, Thaumic Tinkerer, MineFactory and Forestry as well, but then you are left with Vanilla mechanics to handle all your automation. I believe BoP is optional--I haven't run into anything specific with this as a requirement, but others might be able to clarify more.

Most of the other mods are core to the entire gameplay conversion, and cannot be removed. There are a couple utility mods like infinibow, switches, flatsigns and obsidiplates, that are so small, you will never notice if they are loaded or not, and are worth having.

Edit: As Jaded has stated before, this conversion pack has a higher system requirement than many of the other packs, and not all computers can play it. So while you could remove some of the mods, I think you will be missing out on a lot of content. All the mods fit really well together in this conversion pack.

Reactions: Raladan

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
The main portions of this pack are , Harvestcraft, MFR, Thermal Expansion, Extra Utilities,Tinker's Construct, Iguana Tweaks and HungerOverhaul. Those are the mods I have blended together as used as the requirements for the other mod recipes. If you remove TE and MFR you will need to also remove the minetweaker files as all the recipe tweaks are based on those mods being available.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raladan

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Hello
I like the mod idea very much but unfortunately it's pretty laggy for me, so I'm wondering which mods can be removed without breaking mod key elements.
It's very dependent on what you want to do. Me, I'd remove Forestry. I never liked it, apart from bees and I dont think I'll do them again.
I'd say maybe TE3, Natura, Blood Magic, MystCraft, depending on personal preference,

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
It's very dependent on what you want to do. Me, I'd remove Forestry. I never liked it, apart from bees and I dont think I'll do them again.
I'd say maybe TE3, Natura, Blood Magic, MystCraft, depending on personal preference,

Removing Forestry would be a pretty big blow, IMHO. It has not only bees, but trees, which are capable of high-quality and high-quantity fruit, nut (seed oil), and saplings. As for performance impacts from Forestry being installed, but not used, the butterflies are probably the biggest. If anything, just disable them.

And, TE3, oh, man. That would eviscerate the mod-pack as a whole. There are so many useful things in TE3 that are not found in other mods in the pack. Plus, TE3 is one of the most efficiently-coded mods out there. I can't imagine TE3 being a common performance culprit.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Removing Forestry would be a pretty big blow, IMHO. It has not only bees, but trees, which are capable of high-quality and high-quantity fruit, nut (seed oil), and saplings. As for performance impacts from Forestry being installed, but not used, the butterflies are probably the biggest. If anything, just disable them.

And, TE3, oh, man. That would eviscerate the mod-pack as a whole. There are so many useful things in TE3 that are not found in other mods in the pack. Plus, TE3 is one of the most efficiently-coded mods out there. I can't imagine TE3 being a common performance culprit.

Removal of any of the 7 mods including TE I mentioned above ruins the point of the pack .

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
If you remove TE and MFR you will need to also remove the minetweaker files as all the recipe tweaks are based on those mods being available.
Good point, I hadn't considered that.
Removing Forestry would be a pretty big blow, IMHO...
I don't feel like I'm missing out on any of the core Magic Farm experience by not having done anything with Forestry.
I agree with your point about efficiency and performance, and I personally would miss TE3 hugely. Maybe I'm missing something, though, but I do feel like TE3 is a bit out-of-place in the pack. It's neither "magic" nor "farm". It's a general-purpose high-tech mod, you could call it "magical" because it uses Redstone Flux, but RF is no more magical than electromagnetism is in our world. And as far as MFR goes, the only reason I'm using it so far is because there's no way to get a golem to harvest leaves. I'm contemplating using a grinder in my Cursed Earth mob farm to make essence to spawn infinite endermen, but MFR still feels a bit too high-tech to me based on my understanding of the pack. Maybe I'm out of sync with the pack's design aesthetic.

Then again, I added ComputerCraft because I missed turtles, but in practice I have hardly used them. They don't feel right to me in this pack.

Raladan

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you for helpful replies, especially Jadetcat and netmc. I tried removing suggested mods, that imho either not fit modpack style ( AE ), or are mostly aesthetic or provide minor utility/feature ( Bibliocraft, Fancy Fences, Opis, Redstone Arsenal, Mariculture, Blood Magic, Natura, Infernal Mobs and Growthcraft ), But that didn't help a lot, one thing I noticed is that forge microblocks almost double amount of items making NEI choke, while inventory is opened. The real winner was unfortunately Thaumcraft, it seems like a really heavy mod but provide a lot of content. At least modpack is playable now and oh boy it's pretty challenging.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
... but I do feel like TE3 is a bit out-of-place in the pack. It's neither "magic" nor "farm".

True dat, but the mechanics of MF2 require TE3. The recipe for the MystCraft inkwell, for instance, requires Enderium, which is a mid-game or late-game metal from TE3. There are some other recipes that require Invar stff.

Also, without TE3 or MFR, there is no power gen, which means no AE or EnderThermic pumps, Forestry machines, ExtraBees machines, etc.

Without TE3, there are no itemducts or liquiducts, making automation extremely difficult. There are also no Tesseracts, making late-game automation very difficult.

Sure, you could remove TE3, but it would effectively disable a lot of the other content.

As for a mod that I haven't used and don't think I'm missing anything from so far, that's MFR. @Jadedcat - What am I missing by not using MFR that another mod doesn't have ? The Vet and the Rancher ?

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
True dat, but the mechanics of MF2 require TE3. The recipe for the MystCraft inkwell, for instance, requires Enderium, which is a mid-game or late-game metal from TE3. There are some other recipes that require Invar stff.

Also, without TE3 or MFR, there is no power gen, which means no AE or EnderThermic pumps, Forestry machines, ExtraBees machines, etc.

Without TE3, there are no itemducts or liquiducts, making automation extremely difficult. There are also no Tesseracts, making late-game automation very difficult.

Sure, you could remove TE3, but it would effectively disable a lot of the other content.

As for a mod that I haven't used and don't think I'm missing anything from so far, that's MFR. @Jadedcat - What am I missing by not using MFR that another mod doesn't have ? The Vet and the Rancher ?
Free bonemeal substitute from animal poop via sewage, fairly easy self sustaining power with the bio reactor, rocket launcher, long range lava gun (needle gun), and the awesomeness that is Red Net. It is easy to learn and extremely worth it.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
The only thing I've used MFR for so far is shearing leaves off trees to make Herba essentia to power my Mana Bean farm. I could use another source of herba, but you get so much from leaves that I went for that to cut down on the size of the essentia farm. *Edit* Oh, I also used Rednet once to open and close a drawbridge door.
Without TE3, there are no itemducts or liquiducts, making automation extremely difficult.
Golems!

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
The only thing I've used MFR for so far is shearing leaves off trees to make Herba essentia to power my Mana Bean farm. I could use another source of herba, but you get so much from leaves that I went for that to cut down on the size of the essentia farm. *Edit* Oh, I also used Rednet once to open and close a drawbridge door.

Golems!

Golems are short-range and would have a difficult time keeping, for instance, a bank of 20x TE3 Combustion Dynamos filled with water and Ethanol/Biofuel.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Y'all are reading way too much into the name. The original name of this pack was "Agrian Technomancy" . People thought that was too hard to say. IT IS NOT A MAGIC PACK. The name is based off a game called Magic Farm... where you have to farm things and fight monsters to survive. To play this pack the way it is designed to work you can remove every single magic mod. If you remove the tech mods it no longer comes close to what I had in mind.

MFR is your mass power source. It runs on having different types of seeds/saplings. Think about how many types of saplings and seeds there are in MF2. Using those to make a massive amount of energy with bioreactors is the most obvious way of getting power. Everything in this pack is built around the idea of having multiple massive farms both plant and mob. "Farm" is the key word.. not magic. The laser drill is one of the best automated mining options... and it is going to suck up 20k rf/t

MFR can farm mana beans, harvestcraft plants and trees, forestry trees etc.

TC4 , Blood Magic and TT are in there as an option for people who dislike tech and prefer to use magic. They are not the core of the pack.