Magic Farm 2 venting and advice thread

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
What mob is it that sounds like wood breaking? It's not a zombie at the door.

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
This pack is amazing, and just what I needed. It's brought back those tense, paranoid, scared moments from the very first time I played Minecraft- back in the Alpha, when everything "survival" was new to everyone. Exploring caves is highly dangerous now. Wandering at night, deadly. Go exploring without enough food and you'll quickly find yourself scavenging for fruits and berries on the way back to your base.. if you make it that far.

I died before nightfall on my first attempt, due to starvation.
I got my buddy in on a world with me. We found a large cave system near our base with lots of spawners. We've died at least 10 times each in one particular part of the cave, trying to get our stuff back. We geared up and tried to tackle it later but still had the same problem.. those cave spiders are ridiculous.
As said before in this thread you definitely need to have a backup set of armor, weapons, and tools. You will die.

This is the first time I've had to really think and plan my actions. In vanilla MC and other packs, I would go about willy-nilly exploring everything without a care. Now I have to weigh my decisions.. is seeing what's around the corner in this dark cave really worth all the loot I'm carrying? How can I not get knocked in lava here?

Amazing, @Jadedcat, just amazing.

Cronos988

Jul 29, 2019
I am somewhat unsure what to do about infernal mobs. I like the sense of danger it adds, but at the same time it feels too random, which can lead to both boring and unfair enemies. Unfair because there is absolutely no regard to your current level or situation, in that there is no way you could be prepared for really powerful enemies. Boring becuase many of the infernal mobs just have incredible amounts of health and can only be beaten in a prolonged fight where you have the ability to heal yourself.

Their abilities are cool for boss-mob encounters that you need to, and can, prepare for. The way they are now seems disconnected from the rest of the gameplay.

Reactions: 1SDAN

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know if this will work on infernal mobs, but it would be cool if it did. Since this has MFR, get yourself some slime balls and leather, and just pokeball those nasty infernal mobs. :) Then you can fight them later when you can pick the arena, or just chuck it in some lava and never deal with it again.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Just thought I would update everyone on my hardcore with harderMF configs challenge. I'm on attempt #2, and so far am still alive. I just leveled up my tools to iron level, and have a full set of iron armor. I have a few growthcraft fishers providing all my food. Surprisingly, 1 fisher can provide just enough food to keep you alive if you cook the fish. I made more to get a surplus so it would be easy to travel. I have a small farm providing cotton (for string), rutabaga (for stock broth), berries, and wheat (for cow farm). I've been traveling around raiding the ore in the surface ravines. This cuts down the number of enemies I run in to since I am still woefully equipped to take on some of these harder foes. I even had to run and hide a few times when I ran into a wandering wisp.

The nastiest enemy I have run into so far is a potion throwing creeper. I got hit by slowness and sprinted away (slow walk really). Luckily I was in a forest biome, so I was able to get the creeper stuck behind some trees while I fled.

My #1 goal at the moment is to find some air shards and gold so I can get started in thaumcraft. I've already made a wand and hoping I can fill it by slaying the passive mobs and occasional enemy I run into along the way. I will be researching towards the lighting focus. That should help even the playing field against some of these enemies I encounter. I have lots of sheep by my base, and wool is an excellent item to throw in the deconstruction table for more research aspects. I just hope I can make it that far. I will have to enter the nether and get some quartz to actually make the focus though, and that part scares me a bit. If I can get some enchanted boots of the traveller (for fall damage) and/or a thaumostatic harness without needing nether quartz, that should help a lot, as flight in the nether really can be a life saver.

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
Jaded is there any chance of either forbidden magic or advanced thaumaturgy? They both add essentia dynamos and forbidden magic adds a note dynamo

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I don't get why everyone dislikes infernal silverfish... I love them.

I guess it depends on if you are ready for them or not. If you aren't paying attention when mining, they can be a nasty surprise.

I have found that if you break the block and kill the silverfish right away, they don't call in their buddies. Also, if you run away from the area, they rehide and you can ignore or then kill them when you are ready.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I guess it depends on if you are ready for them or not. If you aren't paying attention when mining, they can be a nasty surprise.

I have found that if you break the block and kill the silverfish right away, they don't call in their buddies. Also, if you run away from the area, they rehide and you can ignore or then kill them when you are ready.

They call for help if they are damaged twice without dying or if they hit you.

BIG mac

Jul 29, 2019
The problem I always have with silverfish is the debate to weather I should try to kill the vein individually and make it take forever or get the whole vein after me and risk getting killed.

ChrisC

Jul 29, 2019
I just started a new world with the update from today. Can't seem to craft apple saplings any more, but they're still in the pack. Do current apple trees drop apple saplings, or is there some obscure way to craft them, or is there no way to obtain them period? I've got a couple food options, so I'm not gonna die from lack of apples, just wondering.

Edit: Also haven't seem a natura bush yet, so those might be gone. Is there a changelog somewhere that I haven't seen yet?

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I just started a new world with the update from today. Can't seem to craft apple saplings any more, but they're still in the pack. Do current apple trees drop apple saplings, or is there some obscure way to craft them, or is there no way to obtain them period? I've got a couple food options, so I'm not gonna die from lack of apples, just wondering.

Edit: Also haven't seem a natura bush yet, so those might be gone. Is there a changelog somewhere that I haven't seen yet?

Natura bushes were removed and any tree that can be gotten through forestry was disabled crafting wise.

https://feedthebeast.atlassian.net/wiki/display/PML/Public Modpack Listings

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
This is slightly exploity, but with the time it takes to level a pick on the HarderMF configs, I thought it justified.

I found a way you can skip from iron to alumite without leveling your pick. Of course if you find some redstone and gold in a chest/grave, you can just built an igneous extruder.

I was lucky enough to get a diamond pick from an infernal mob drop. Using a diamond pick along with a bucket of lava and a bucket of water in a crafting grid, will give you a piece of obsidian. (not sure what mod adds this recipe.) Diamond picks will mine up to iron. So, if you get lucky and obtain a diamond pick via drop or chest, you can skip all the way to alumite.

ChrisC

Jul 29, 2019
Natura bushes were removed and any tree that can be gotten through forestry was disabled crafting wise.

Just to clarify, I was talking about the apple saplings that have the breakable apples connected to the leaves. I believe they're part of pam's, like the dragonfruit saplings, and are usually crafted by putting the desired fruit with a sapling. However, I forgot about the forestry apple trees, so I'll probably work my way toward those instead.

Thanks for the link, and clarifying the natura bushes situation. I wasn't expecting them to last long, but in my previous world I liked using them for jelly. I guess I'll be doing strawberries now.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Most of Pam's trees have been disabled. You can see what is still left by looking up the crafting recipe for jungle and oak saplings, and see what recipes they can be used in. I believe there are a handful that don't have a forestry/extra trees equivalent.

ChrisC

Jul 29, 2019
Most of Pam's trees have been disabled. You can see what is still left by looking up the crafting recipe for jungle and oak saplings, and see what recipes they can be used in. I believe there are a handful that don't have a forestry/extra trees equivalent.

Ah! That makes sense. Just tried to craft a cherry tree and had the same problem, and thought that might be the case. Thanks for the clarification. Too bad I didn't spawn next to one of the still working trees :D

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Ah! That makes sense. Just tried to craft a cherry tree and had the same problem, and thought that might be the case. Thanks for the clarification. Too bad I didn't spawn next to one of the still working trees :D

Yeah the trees still spawn in the world, but if its something you can get through breeding you can't craft the harvest craft sapling. The fruits are interchangable for recipe purposes.

BIG mac

Jul 29, 2019
I'm confused. Was there a pack update? It didn't ask if I wanted to update when I selected the pack, so I used force update in the launcher options. Immediately after, I started a new world and found some natura berry bushes. Was it a harder configs update or something, or is my launcher having issues?