[Official] We Need Your Help - Launcher Ideas

MobiusOne

Jul 29, 2019
Ok i had a suggestion a long time ago but i think it got buried: It was to suggest that we add an option to "download" CONFIG packs... So server owners can send out configs to their players without them having to do anything... I am a small, private server owner and I have found people do not like to edit config files... If it could be done automatically, however, it would eliminate this problem. Thanks for reading this, hope it helps

JWaggz

Jul 29, 2019
I kind of always had an idea for how I would like the launcher to look and feel. So I decided to make this as just a thought for everyone. I know it prob wont be used but maybe some elements or ideas from it will work for something.
FTBLauncher-Waggz-WIP-001.png

Let me know what ya think :)

leetmindz

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sure this has been posted already but I feel if enough people request it, it may actually happen.

There needs to be a FTB Launcher version for Mac. It's ridiculous that i have to go through like a 5 step process just to open FTB on my Mac, Vanilla minecraft and the Technic Launcher both support mac, why not FTB?

PLEASE make a Mac version of the launcher or make your current launcher support OSX!!! PLEASE!

Jinbobo

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sure this has been posted already but I feel if enough people request it, it may actually happen.

There needs to be a FTB Launcher version for Mac. It's ridiculous that i have to go through like a 5 step process just to open FTB on my Mac, Vanilla minecraft and the Technic Launcher both support mac, why not FTB?

PLEASE make a Mac version of the launcher or make your current launcher support OSX!!! PLEASE!
there will be one for mac, and launching ftb on a mac is just like launching ftb on any other computer.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

JWaggz

Jul 29, 2019
Ok.. SO .. I was playing around with some more ideas.. and.. well.. I made some improvements.

(would have put the images in "spoiler" tabs but I'm not sure how yet.)

FTBLauncher-Waggz-WIP-002.png

So (above) you can see that I borrowed the images for the modpacks. XD anywho, As you can see I added a "search custom packs" search bar.. played with the logo (just for fun).. and made it look as if when you roll over a modpack it comes to 100% opacity from 25% and lights up a respective color to that particular pack.

And then when you click on it:

FTBLauncher-Waggz-WIP-003.png

The modpack menu slides to the left under the buttons and you get that modpack's overview. complete with an icon for the modpack and a banner.

Just some more ideas :)

P.S. I love feed back. Even if none of this is ever made or implemented. I love to play around with this stuff.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019

Um, what are you talking about? I run OSX and can launch FTB Monster just fine.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019

I can assure you: we currently have a .jar version for mac.
Whatever you're doing presently: you're doing it wrong.
Read this: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SWWezem_klMVPLjswIkG-_lWQl8278w5ddH3BFs0Y-I/edit

leetmindz

Jul 29, 2019
I can assure you: we currently have a .jar version for mac.
Whatever you're doing presently: you're doing it wrong.
Read this: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SWWezem_klMVPLjswIkG-_lWQl8278w5ddH3BFs0Y-I/edit

Thank you, I was actually having the issue noted in the google doc (where it'd stop after the Mojang screen). I Remember having to go through a fairly lengthy process that involved a bunch of things I don't remember in order to get it to work. Now I open it with a custom .command script that was recommended when I researched how to fix the black screen of death issue.

I wish i would've heard about this sooner, opening FTB would've been much simpler lol. So again, Thank you. I appreciate your help.

Reactions: Ashzification

JWaggz

Jul 29, 2019
Spoiler 101
[spoiler]Stuff goes in here[/spoiler]
Stuff goes in here

Awesome! I should have figured it was a BBC code of some sort.. >.<

Now I can post the large images and not eat up so much space when I post something.

JWaggz

Jul 29, 2019
Could there be a higher-definition icon for the console and launcher? I have a dock that loads 48x icons, and it appears blurry.

View attachment 9155

(the glitched crafting table is a vanilla problem that's been there since 1.6 vanilla came out, I'm guessing it's outside the control of ftb?)

I could make an "unofficial" 48x FTB icon for you if you like.

chadlupkes

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't been able to read all of the previous comments, so please forgive me if these are duplicates.

I had this problem yesterday and lost a world: I clicked the Version button on Monster to see what the latest number was, and then put it back to 1.0.5 where I had some extra mods installed, and hit Launch. The launcher immediately started downloading a new version of the modpack, and when it was done all of the extra mods I had added were gone. It would have been nice to be asked when I hit Launch whether I really wanted to download the pack again. I'm not sure what happened. Now I've lost a world that I don't really know how to get back.

I've gone into a few of the private packs, and now they're just cluttering up the list. I wish there was a way to delete "instances" from the pack list. I'm sure if I went into some config file I could figure out how to delete them, but it would be much easier to click one of the packs and hit delete.

Also, in parallel to the last idea, I wish there was a way to create a copy of an instance and disable automatic updates. That way I could add mods to A pack, but not THE pack. I've tried MultiMC to create a copy of an instance, but none of the mods load so I obviously don't know what I'm doing there... :)

Love the game, love the launcher, wish I had more understanding of the configurations so I wouldn't lose worlds like that...

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
Give the launcher themes, like when you click on the FTB Monster Pack you get a red, torn/ripped leather looking background covering the whole launcher, or for Magic World 2 purple swirls and wands.
Also maybe a different style? Instead of tabs on the top, have them...um...on the side, yeah.

Last edited:

Grovert11

Jul 29, 2019
When I go in offline mode, because the Login servers are down, my email is used as username, instead of my username. When logging in I need to use my email as I migrated to a Mojang account. It would be nice if you could fix this :)

Reactions: MobiusOne

Paul17041993

Mar 17, 2013
Australia
www.vectrobe.net
When I go in offline mode, because the Login servers are down, my email is used as username, instead of my username. When logging in I need to use my email as I migrated to a Mojang account. It would be nice if you could fix this :)
problem is that this is actually the minecraft code itself that does this, and after yay version it was they "fixed" it by letting it grab the actual playername from the account, of course if the servers are down then you're stuck on your email. Not sure if you can still override the playername at offline launch though, they may have removed that with the addition of the default numbered names...

techno156

Jul 29, 2019
I know this is an old thread, but I'm not sure where else to put my idea: Perhaps a status indicator to show the status of the Minecraft servers (logins etc.), and the FTB ones?

Reactions: SatanicSanta

jikuja

legacy FTB Launcher developer
Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
Instances of modpacks. (Think multimc instances)

Is it possible to add command line argument to override installPath directive to partially achieve this feature? I wanted to do some regression tests but downloading ~130Mbytes every time I want to change modpack version is something I really do not want to do. (Current net speed: max 30kbytes/s)