FTB and Forge - Curse Partnership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Those false adverts, big clickies, etc. are why my gf is not allowed to touch my computer. I spend several hours every few months having to clean viruses off her laptop.
This is why I have a problem with adfly/mediafire/any other pennies for clicks site. Some of those 'adverts' are really convincing.
It's also entirely why I downloaded the CurseClient in the first place (for WoW). I felt it was a far safer way than possibly clicking a malicious link manually downloading my addons every update.
I've also never had a problem with any Curse site (MCF, WoW stuff) giving me those shady adverts. It's usually pretty stinkin' obvious what's an advertisement.

I really don't understand why anyone has a problem with Curse, or that Slow is working toward trying to do what he thinks is best.

SephirothWS

Jul 29, 2019
As for Curse, they seem like a responsible company, I sincerely hope you get what you sign up for. They are very responsive if someone sends in a complaint, whether it's actionable or not, and hopefully the launcher they publish won't have any issues with my antivirus software, as otherwise it will be blocked and prevented from being loaded at all.

Curse has been nowhere as "responsible" or "responsive" for me in any way, shape or form with me. In fact, I wanted to get contact information of someone higher-up that doesn't control the canned-response macro system they had on their "curse forums" when they had it years back, ... I didn't get what I wanted. Instead, I got a ban from their "network" instead of them providing the simple information I requested politely. So they are, in no way, willing and capable of being "responsible" in my eyes. The fact that this is just a "partnership" now, will only evolve to the point where Curse will buy out the FTB team, and then drive it into the ground like they have with all of their other "proprietary" sites they've got, such as the Minecraft Forums. I'm sorry, but as soon as I am required to use the shitty-as-fuck "Curse Client" for FTB packs is the day I will go somewhere else, because their client shoves an ad in your face that takes up over a third of the window and makes it extremely hard to navigate.

In short, I don't support Curse as an entity, or a corporation. Why? They've done nothing to ensure the end-user experience is as "amazing" as they claim it is, ... without shoving "premium" down our throats every 10 seconds. I shouldn't have to pay a goddamn penny to "queue" downloads.

Reactions: Sadistical_satan

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
I really don't understand why anyone has a problem with Curse, or that Slow is working toward trying to do what he thinks is best.
I don't have any issues with Slow trying to do what he thinks is best, Ash, but I think it's fair to say that if we put the malware debate aside, plenty of people have given fair reasons for disliking Curse, myself included.

To simplify it, I dislike Curse for much the same reasons I won't use an Apple product; I disapprove of their business model. It's monopolistic. Curse has taken over most of the fan sites I've ever been a part of, profited from their work and monetized the little guy, over and over again.

At first, the Curse client was useful. Then they started restricting anyone who wouldn't pay, in various ways. And so who is going to stop them doing whatever they please, when they own everyone?

So there's my "problem" with Curse.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

SephirothWS

Jul 29, 2019
At first, the Curse client was useful. Then they started restricting anyone who wouldn't pay, in various ways. And so who is going to stop them doing whatever they please, when they own everyone?

So there's my "problem" with Curse.

This. So much this.

People can't complain about this either, because they'll just remove posts and/or ban users who do not comply with their "Vision". They're too monopolistic, and they need to be broken-up and destroyed. Sure, there are good things they have done, but when they took over the Terraria forums, I was unable to continue to use my account because I'd have to "migrate" it over to a "Curse account", which I absolutely refuse to do because of their shady business practices they do that they can get away with because of their sheer size and financial power they have these days. Its ridiculous.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
To simplify it, I dislike Curse for much the same reasons I won't use an Apple product; I disapprove of their business model. It's monopolistic. Curse has taken over most of the fan sites I've ever been a part of, profited from their work and monetized the little guy, over and over again.

If you dislike Curse because of their business model, therefore do not want to use a product they are associated with because of it, then don't use the product.

Off topic a bit:
One can assume you dislike Jinx for the same reasons? They just claim peoples artwork as theirs, same way as YouTube's content ID matching system.
Based on the above statements, you won't ever buy anything from Jinx, or watch a video on YouTube.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
If you dislike Curse because of their business model, therefore do not want to use a product they are associated with because of it, then don't use the product.

Off topic a bit:
One can assume you dislike Jinx for the same reasons? They just claim peoples artwork as theirs, same way as YouTube's content ID matching system.
Based on the above statements, you won't ever buy anything from Jinx, or watch a video on YouTube.
Well, thus why I said I was concerned I might have to move on to another pack.

This is going to sound a bit abrupt and I apologize for that, but: the reason this thread is not locked is to collect feedback from members on how they feel about this, and I'm sharing my opinion.

victor pelt

Jul 29, 2019
Let's reverse it.

How many people who complain so much actually donate to FTB to pay for bandwidth etc. people complain a lot about how horrible the adds are. But one of the reasons i like FTB is that i do not have to pay $10/month to keep using it. So if they found a way to get some money to pay the bills, good for them.

I'm not really worried. If curse really screws it up there are other modpacks/launcher out there. But i think in general it will just allow FTB to have more resources to do what they do.

thesbros

Jul 29, 2019
Please don't do this. One reason: Curse Client is only for Windows.... yeah.... there was a Mac OS X version but it was discontinued.
Oh, and what about Linux, huh?

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
Please don't do this. One reason: Curse Client is only for Windows.... yeah.... there was a Mac OS X version but it was discontinued.
Oh, and what about Linux, huh?
Because you may have missed me posting this:
Curse doesn't currently have Mac/Linux software. What about those of us needing it?
Lex has spoken with Curse's CTO on this. The Curse "core" is platform agnostic, so developing clients for other platforms is very possible. Building a client that handles more than just the Windows platform is one of the key points being emphasized in making this.

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com
Will curse allow distributing of gregtech for modpacks, like FTB does (assuming greg gives permission)?

I've heard ATLauncher doesn't allow GT to be used in any modpacks, which kinda sucks since if they aren't going to, because I'm not going to be able to use the next two big modpack distributers (AtLauncher and technic)

Vagrant0

Jul 29, 2019
Just wanted to toss it out there again incase someone missed it.

The big thing with a partnership with Curse, even if you ignore their business practices, is that every mod author with a mod in a FTB pack would have their mod uploaded to Curse in order to work with the Curse launcher. If Curse was a desired host in the first place, people wouldn't be distributing mods through their own upload service. Did I miss the part where everyone agreed to this? Would hate to think that FTB would suddenly have to exclude a mod from their packs simply because the author didn't want to deal through Curse.

Reactions: Mooseman9

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Just wanted to toss it out there again incase someone missed it.

The big thing with a partnership with Curse, even if you ignore their business practices, is that every mod author with a mod in a FTB pack would have their mod uploaded to Curse in order to work with the Curse launcher. If Curse was a desired host in the first place, people wouldn't be distributing mods through their own upload service. Did I miss the part where everyone agreed to this? Would hate to think that FTB would suddenly have to exclude a mod from their packs simply because the author didn't want to deal through Curse.
They already agree to have their mods uploaded to the FTB hosting services don't they? Don't see what it would matter if the servers were instead payed for by curse in the future. And the developement and support of the launcher is payed for by curse. Because that is all that there is talk about.

I wouldn't give a damn about who is technically hosting my mod after I gave permission for it to be used in a modpack. I really cant see how this can be anything but a good thing for modders.

Had I made a piece of art for example and agreed to lend it to an exhibition, then I couldn't care less which delivery service is chosen to bring it there(as long as I have guarantees of safekeeping from loaners) and what advertisements they have on the side of their trucks...

Last edited:

RyanTheAllmighty

Jul 29, 2019
Will curse allow distributing of gregtech for modpacks, like FTB does (assuming greg gives permission)?

I've heard ATLauncher doesn't allow GT to be used in any modpacks, which kinda sucks since if they aren't going to, because I'm not going to be able to use the next two big modpack distributers (AtLauncher and technic)

Who told you that? Several ATLauncher packs have gregtech. There will never be any mods disallowed in ATLauncher packs, ever, never ever.

nick1wasd

Jul 29, 2019
My biggest concern is the threat of Curse Premium.

"Here's your modpack! Enjoy updating each mod individually. Oh, you want to update your whole pack automatically? That'll be 2.50$ a month."

I'm all for supporting the developers, but I'd like to do that of my own volition - and if I have to pay for any of the features that the current launcher provides free-of-charge and free-of-ads, I'll be looking elsewhere for my modpacks.

well, the way the new launcher works is that it will download ALL the mods in the packs into one folder, then when you say to want to play a pack, it will pull the mods from said folder into said modpack file, when it updates the mods, it looks at the current (newest) mods in the curse library, compares them to the FTB mods folder (the one with ALL the mods) and if any of them are out of date, it takes that mod out of the file, and replaces it with the newer one, then you launch a pack, and again it checks for out of date stuff ect. ect. i'm guessing there might be a single ad somewhere on the launcher, maybe not, that part has yet to be discussed, but i do know that it will not cost money to update it in any way, shape or form, hope that helps :)

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
well, the way the new launcher works is that it will download ALL the mods in the packs into one folder, then when you say to want to play a pack, it will pull the mods from said folder into said modpack file, when it updates the mods, it looks at the current (newest) mods in the curse library, compares them to the FTB mods folder (the one with ALL the mods) and if any of them are out of date, it takes that mod out of the file, and replaces it with the newer one, then you launch a pack, and again it checks for out of date stuff ect. ect. i'm guessing there might be a single ad somewhere on the launcher, maybe not, that part has yet to be discussed, but i do know that it will not cost money to update it in any way, shape or form, hope that helps :)
Who are you to know these facts, exactly?

nick1wasd

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, I really won't care a lot about a new launcher and backend. The launcher would have to at least match MultiMC 5 in terms of ease of use and configuration, and the backend would have to contain every mod with 1 button push installation without advertisements and adfly links.

T
slow has said that this is what they are aiming for, (i will be paraphrasing, but i do know slow said something like this somewhere) "we are going to make it so that the modpack creation with be as simple as clicking a checkbox for each mod you want in your private pack,then once you have selected the mods you want in your pack, you can name it, and select a photo to be used as the cover, then you can hit the create button, and you will be given a code that applies to that pack, enter that code into the new launcher, and there you go, your custom made privet pack" so yeah, that's what slow is aiming for :p (and as i said before, i paraphrased, i don't have a photographic memory, but the bottom line is the same, checkboxes, naming, bla bla bla) hope that helps :D[DOUBLEPOST=1389577641][/DOUBLEPOST]
Who are you to know these facts, exactly?

slow put up a forum a few months ago, and that's what it said, i think it was september

BIG mac

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think we have to worry about curse monopolizing no matter how hard to try with multiple other options for mod launchers out there and the ability for people to create them at anytime.

However I am going to repeat myself and say I just really hope curse doesn't screw up the ftb forums.

nick1wasd

Jul 29, 2019
slow put up a forum a few months ago, and that's what it said, i think it was september
OK! found that forum, it was "why no new launcher." posted december 4th, the paragraph i was talking about how it would download the mods into one huge folder, i got that part wrong, but i will post the part i was thinking about when i said that

"The new launcher is designed to work differently. Now we are looking at a system where you only download the mods and specifically the versions of the mods you need. So for example, you download the unleashed pack and then an update comes out. Instead of re-downloading everything again you will now only download the mods that have been updated. Then lets say you want to install Direwolf20, the new launcher will check what mods you have downloaded and first copy mods from there, this means it only has to download the mods you actually need from our servers. This makes pack construction more efficient. However it changes the way we have to make packs, instead of making the packs like normal, we essentially write out a list of the mods a pack needs, and then send that list to the launcher. Then the launcher uses that list to make up a mod pack."

hope this clears up some confusion i might have made :)

Status
Not open for further replies.